TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

4.6

Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh, Mary Lou... I don't even know where to start with this product because I love it SO MUCH. Disclaimer: this product is a shimmer bomb (but not glitter). If you worry about accentuating your pores and/or prefer natural highlights, then you might just want to reconsider before you pick up Mary Loumanizer. This stuff is seriously POTENT. The texture is so silky smooth, buttery and just a complete joy to swatch and play with. The colour is a pale gold with a frosty finish. My skin is NC20 at the moment and this product is just perfect for me, but my friend who is NC30-35 loves this just as much. Its pigmentation is just as good as any UD eyeshadow and keep in mind that this is a face product too, so this highlighter means serious business. It is so pigmented that I can use it as an inner corner highlight. My favourite method to apply this is to use my Hakuhodo B5521 (or just any small-ish tapered brush really) brush and just DIP, don't swirl, in the pan and apply it to my cheekbones, nose, chin and just a touch on my forehead. For my cupids bow I use my ring finger to apply. This makes my face look really bright and radiant, even my boyfriend and store clerks comment on my beautiful makeup. :) But yes, it is obvious that I am wearing highlighter and not just glowing from my skin/foundation. If you want a natural finish you're better off with Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone (liquid version). Those two are very close in colour but the Becca liquid is seamlessly natural.

Uh... Ok. This is a tricky one. For reference, I'm MAC's Nc25.
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this product and I don't know if I will ever be.
First of all, the packaging is so cute that it makes you want to buy it immediately lol! (even though it feels a bit fragile to me). It comes with a load of product, so you do get a load for your buck.
As for pigmentation, it is INSANE. I'm not joking. You need to have very light hands with this one or it just looks unflattering and ugly. Make sure to always tap the excess off the brush and start slow. That can be a good thing to many, but I think it should be a little less intense.
The shade is a light golden. Unfortunately, I think I'm not dark enough to wear this. It is possible to be used, of course, and you'll see lots of beautiful pictures on Google of pale girls wearing this. But, in real life, it looks rather obvious that there's something there (at least on me it does). I wish it was a tad paler. It's not the kind of highlighter I can use without some other color on my cheeks, because it can look like a slight golden stripe in some lightings.
Another thing that adds to the fakeness is the texture. It's not the best texture in the world to work with. While it is quite soft to the touch, I find that it looks dreadful when my cheeks are drier, as if it simply didn't blend it. It just looks like loose specks of glitter everywhere. So damn ugly. That's why I have to keep my cheeks moisturised before using this (which is hard, because I always overpowder my undereyes and consequently the cheekbone area) and I always make sure to blend it with a wet beauty-blender-like sponge to make it look more dewy and seamless. Face sprays also help a lot. It's the kind of stuff that looks good after a few hours, once it's blended a bit with my natural oils.
The glitters are also a complaint I have: I don't see anyone talk about this, but it has non-golden shimmer in it. You know, like blue and pink that's usually found in kid's makeup? It looks cheap. No shimmers, golden or not, are visible when my cheeks are moisturised, but if they're dry it's very evident.
It lasts ok on my skin, but nothing ever lasts long on me, so I don't really know what to say about that.
You need a very specific brush to apply this - trust me. I use the Real Technique's Setting Brush because it doesn't pick up too much product.
Honestly, I think this is indeed a good product but very very overrated. It's just not all that. I'm 100% positive there are much better options out there in terms of formula. But, nonetheless, I don't regret buying it! I just wish they would make a smaller size with half the amount, because it will most certainly expire before I make a dent on it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So everybody and they're momma has one of these and for good reason. It is intensely pigmented and can suit many skin tones. The glow you get from this is gorgeous, out of this world j-lo! Its a little easy to overdue though so be light handed with your brush!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I don't think there's much to add about this product that hasn't already been said, so I'll keep this short. First of all, I thought I was set up for a disappointment because of how raved about this product is. After hearing not only beauty gurus and makeup enthusiasts but also friends praise it I caved and ordered it. And I am so, so glad that I did. I'm literally looking forward to putting this on in the morning, it looks so nice. A warm shimmer that makes you look fresh-faced and glowing. It seems like it'll last me a really long time as well. The fact that I'm a sucker for the retro design that brands like thebalm and soap & glory goes for makes this product even better. A must have on your makeup shelves - it'll look good on there as well as on your face!

have been using Mary-Lou Manizer for more than 5 years. My first was a smaller pan that came in a sampling pallet from TheBalm. I used the entire powder and since have repurchased twice. I love highlighter and have used a lot but this is still my #1 (although it isn't without fault).

PROS/CONS:
- The powder itself is a bright white gold colour and is soft in texture; therefore, I find I have to use a fluffy brush and watch that I don't pick up too much or it's just BAM on the skin! If applied correctly, at least on my skin tone, it illuminates in the most beautiful and natural way. The soft texture can also be a con because I find it breaks. The packaging, the soft texture and the large pan size all together are a disastrous. I have had to return a powder because it smashed between being bagged and walking to the car. The glue on the pan has also has led to the pan falling out (mysteriously that fall it lasted). Good note, the pan will stick in a z pallet.

TBH, TheBalm powders are super soft but I find they are my only powders that are shattering and breaking apart. I love it but I also hate it. I don't travel with full sized powders from this brand which unfortunately means they don't get a lot of use anymore. Although the brand has great sized products of amazing quality for a good price, I have only been able to use up the travel sized versions of the products.

This is a gorgeous highlight! Gives the skin a beautiful glow. A little pricey, but definitely one of those products that's worth it!
I was using Mac's msf in soft and gentle, which I still love, but this is definitely my new fave.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I first bought this highlighter after seeing it being used in a series of YouTube make up artists videos.

Packaging
--------
The packaging of this product is great for travel as it does not crack under high pressure plus it is compact and small therefore making it more convenient.

The price
-----
The price is what really makes this product appealing at only £17.50 on feelunique.com considerably less than other top brand highlighters such as Mac 'Soft n Gentle' £24.50. This is the main reason why I would like to repurchase this product because not only is it now my holy grail highlighter but it is more affordable than the mineralize highlighters I use from mac and my cream highlighter from Anastacia Beverly Hills!

The product
-------
The pigmentation of this product is extremely extremely appealing. Just one swatch will leave you with enough colour on your fingertip to highlight half of the face, this product complies with "a little goes a long way". I tend to apply my highlighter powders with a fan brush, a lot of people use this brush for fallout in eyeshadow but I think it works better to sprinkle highlight over the high points. I would recommend swiping the fan brush over the product and tapping some of it out just because the pigmentation is so vibrant! This highlighter lights up the whole face and in my opinion is better than "So Hollywood" or "Soft n Gentle" which were my go-tos for adding that sparkle to my face. You will be glowing and sparkling after this and the best part is if you don't feel like doing your whole make up routing it looks great on its own. This goes perfectly with powder contours, I do not know how it would look with brown contour creams but I'm sure somebody else will!! This product has no smell and you do not really recognise any sort of texture on the face. This feels very light on the skin. I have worn this product to two parties and it lasted right until the bitter end.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE. THANK YOU THE BALM.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

A great highlighter, and honestly it's a pretty good price tag compared to others. I own 3 of the Becca highlighters and it's significantly cheaper. While I do prefer my Becca highlighters because they have smaller shimmers in them, this is still a great addition to your makeup collection. I'd rate this a 4.5/5 mostly because I wish the shimmers were a tinyy bit smaller and less chunky. I am not too much of a fan of the packaging though, it's kinda cute but I like my makeup collection to look sleek. However it's a good quality package, doesn't feel breakable or weak which is more important. Still that's with me being very critical; this is still a beautiful highlighter.

As for the colour, it's like a pale gold, which I can see would be suitable for almost every skin tone except my super deep gals. It's right between Becca Moonstone and Becca Champagne Pop.

It's quite a strong highlight, so if you're not into that I'd stay away from this one and go with something like lightscapade from Mac because that one is very much so a 'glow from within' and not glam.

This highlighter is nothing short of amazing. The Balm's Mary Lou Manizer was my first highlighter to enter the many in my collection, but it continues to be one of my favourites. Whether you are looking for a dramatic "can be seen from outer space" highlight, or a subtle, luminous glow, this highlight will do that for you! Using a fan or stipple brush, this product can be built up to pretty much any level, and due to its overall softness, blending it out is very easy, making it IMO ideal for almost any skin tone.

While, many people may stray away from this highlighter due to the ~$30 price tag, this product will last you years, even with daily use. Also, if you are patient, The Balm can frequently be found on sale making down the overall cost to only a little higher than drugstore alternatives. I really think that if you are on the market for a highlighter this is the one to get. In contrast to some other highlighters, I feel this one is truly universal and there is little to no risk that someone would be unable to pull it off.

ALSO! As previously mentioned, I have a number of other highlighters including Wet 'n Wild's "Reserve Your Cabana" and Hard Candy's "Tiki", which are often toted as being dupes. In my opinion however, both of those highlights are much more sheer than Mary-Lou Manizer, and require quite a bit of building to even obtain any sort of glow. This is problematic in comparison to The Balm's highlight because I find that when building these products up the highlight can look very cakey and accentuate pores. In addition, while all three highlighters are golden-champagne, I find both "Tiki" and "Reserve Your Cabana" to be just a little bit darker, which consequently limits the audience in which they are suitable towards.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

At first I didn't even think that there was a need to write a review because of all of the amazing reviews already on here but, yeah this stuff really is as amazing as everyone says. Period.

Top Rated TheBalm Products