April 20, 2014 | 1782 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Quick Dry Top Coat

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2012 12:06:00 PM More reviews by Chelles93

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this. I'm not committed enough to put in the extra work required with the Seche Vite and this stuff works just fine.

Best top coat I've used - it does dry quickly for me and helps even crappy polish stay longer. If I dab a bit on my ends every day I can extend a manicure to maybe 5 days, when without it I might get two.

I skipped this the last time I polished my nails and they lasted one day. I'd used it the week before with the same exact polish and that lasted six days, until I went swimming. Huge difference. Will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by smarteepants712

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Everything about this is just "OK." I am a former Seche Vite believer, but once I got halfway through the bottle (like everyone else) I found out it was worthless because of how gummy it got ASIDE from the fact that its near impossible to reach the bottom of the bottle. I think its ridiculous that I can't use half of a product especially when that wasn't all that cheap . Also, I finally realized the nailpolish I lost on the tips was actually from SV "shrinking" the polish. I then bought this b/c of the great reviews and the stream of SV converts. Well, first I bought the quick dry liquid on accident which I will get into later. After experiencing the immediate dry with SV, it was really difficult to transition to this. Those polishes that I had to use more than 2 coats... forget it. I would put this on 2 hours before bed and still wake up with marks the next day. It only helps drying time if you use 2 coats. Additionally, it doesn't do anything to extend the life of my polish. I just felt really indifferent to this product. It's better than nothing, but not by much. Incidentally, the quick dry liquid actually dries my polish much quicker, but I was really looking for a topcoat/quickdry in one (so I could also reapply daily to extend the manicure) -- so this didn't work for my purposes (especially b/c it also leaves oil behind, on purpose, like a cuticle oil) so I really didn't like using this as a polish finisher.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by BerryObsession

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I just bought my third bottle of this top coat and I really love it. It leaves my nails very shiny and helps the polish underneath last a little longer than without it. The reason I gave this 4 lippies is because on some thicker nail polishes it takes much longer to dry and even after it feels dry sometimes I will still see dents in my nails an hour or so late. Also when I use about 3/4 of it it starts to get goopy and too thick to apply making my polish look uneven. Overall however, I would recommend this product and out of Seche Vite, OPI, and a few Sally Hansen top coats I have tried this is my favorite.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 11:58:00 PM More reviews by SoCalNanny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm always on the search for a quick dry top coat. I've tried Rimmel, Sally Hansen, Orly....but this stuff actually works! I'm always getting the urge to do my nails at bedtime, and previously would wake up with smudged nails and would have to start all over. Last night I applied my new OPI (Barefoot in Barcelona-LOVE) and applied this and woke up this morning with great nails!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This does the trick for me. Fast drying, nice and shiny. It's thinner than other popular top coats (such as SV), but I actually prefer that.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2012 8:09:00 PM More reviews by TheTruth1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great top coat. No problems with it at all. It's a classic and i'm sticking to it. Definitely not over priced.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Update March 30, 2012: This top coat has started to get thicker at about half-way into the bottle. This means a) needing more product to prevent any uneven or patchy applications, b) slower drying time, c) minor shrinkage. I plan on buying some polish thinner to use on my previous top coat (Quo by Orly) as I found it out-performed this Revlon top coat. If the thinner works well on it then I'll return to that product and will not repurchase Revlon. However, I still think it's worth checking out, especially if price is a concern. Lowered rating from a 4 to a 3, but am retaining the "yes" for repurchase because I would purchase it again if I were in need of a top coat and was unable to find the other or if I was strapped for cash.

What It Claims:
" Sets to a hard, lustrous finish in 60 seconds
Plasticizers and an acrylic polymer help safeguard polish from nicks and chips, while promoting flexibility
UV filter helps maintain color fidelity
DBP, Toluene and Formaldehyde Free"

Claims - True or False?
1) Sets hard in 60 seconds: False
2) Lustrous finish: True
3) Prevents nicks and chips: Depends.
4) Maintains colour of the polish: True

Packaging:
Revlon's top coat packaging is fairly well-designed, at least for practicality. The cap is longer and the bottle has a cylindrical shape that tapers towards the top. Both of these features makes unscrewing the cap very easy and it feels comfortable in my hands. Other bottles tend to be rectangular or possess an apple shape, both of which I find hinders the ease with which I am able to open the bottle.The bottle is a frosted glass with the label and ingredients printed onto the glass itself. The cap has a much cheaper look to it, consisting of a white plastic with a mirror-like reflective band at the base of the cap with the Revlon name. The brush is fairly long and slender, similar to China Glaze and Essie brushes. While I don't love its small size, it doesn't seem to hinder the finished results and is still easy enough to work with.

Consistency:
This is a thinner consistency for a top coat, but not significantly runny. Flow is fairly good for the consistency as well. The website claims that it takes just one minute for the top coat to set and harden, while the back of the bottle cuts that time in half. While it doesn't harden completely within these parameters, it is dry to the touch within at least a few minutes. The downside is that it doesn't harden very quickly, although it should be set within 30 minutes depending on application method. This isn't nearly as fast-drying as my previous fast-drying top coat, but the consistency is much easier to work with. I will note that this dries down quite fast when not using a base coat along with it. I really love how glossy it leaves my nails compared to my previous top coat. One issue I have with this formula is that it does seem to be a bit prone to picking up colour from the nail onto the brush. This doesn't disturb the actual finish, but is a bit annoying. I do believe that a wider brush would likely solve this issue. Another way to make sure it doesn't drag is to either let the polish completely dry before applying the top coat or applying it right away - the less time between all coats the better. Make sure that you have plenty of top coat on the brush as well; I dip the brush in and then run one side of it onto the opening once, then press the product onto the nail near the base so that it can spread, then do a few strokes to disperse it over the nail.

Wear time:
Overall, I don't think that this top coat extends the wear of my polishes in a significant manner. The gloss finish lasts quite a while. I haven't seen any chips while wearing this top coat, so while it may not help significantly with tip wear it does seem to prevent some of the damage that can be done to the polish.

Bang for your Buck:
I paid about $7.00CAD for this 14.7ml bottle. This is about the same price as most other drug-store brands (in Canada), and the amount given is quite good. I do believe that the price is well-set for this top coat.

Final Consensus:
Based on initial observations, I do quite like this top coat. It doesn't wow me in any way, but it does provide a nice finish and dries quickly enough most of the time. The thinner formula looks like it will not cause shrinkage, but if this does occur I will be sure to update!
- Pros: Affordable, good cap for easier opening, goes on glossy, great thin consistency, seems to prevent chips
- Cons: Takes a while longer to harden and dry completely, can pick up nail colour, brush is on the small side, doesn't seem to definitively extend wear.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 4/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by destreng

Adds a shiny, protective top coat. My manicure lasts at least 2 days longer with this top coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 6:12:00 AM More reviews by Snax1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Overall this is an amazingly cheap yet almost perfect top coat. It doesn't have a smell, never had a problem with shrinkage, It's actually covered up bubbles and scratches from my cheap polishes, I used almost the whole bottle before I couldn't use it anymore, and unlike seche vite you don't have to worry about harsh chemicals or birth defects. I feel no need to look for any other top coat =D

Cons- when I go to buy some they're always out lol
and the brush... It's too long and skinny but it's not a huge issue. If it had the brush of an OPI polish... this top coat would be queen of all top coats lol.

BUT WARNING the base coat is bad bad bad. My nails have ridges so some base coats are just wrong for me personally. This base coat did nothing for me as expected. It made my polishes bubble even my expensive ones that I swear by and my nails would actually peel off whole. It's just odd. So if you have ridges in your nails I suggest you use a different base coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 11:51:00 PM More reviews by rawrcatx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought Seche Vite before solely because it dries SO fast and shiny. Then I found out how awfully thick and goopy it gets in about a short month or two. I was dismayed because I loved the lightning speed dry time and ability to level out your manicure. No matter how much thinner I added (believe me, a LOT) it all went to waste. I didn't want to blow an extra $9 on the special Seche Restore thinner so I threw the bottle out.
Not so with this top coat! I honestly didn't have high expectations as I hadn't heard much about it and Revlon's nail polishes are never stellar in quality. I used it and found that while the dry time is not as quick as Seche, it's still pretty dang fast. The shine was great, very glossy. It has a somewhat thin consistency so it doesn't pile up and make your manicure thick. Wear is also great, it doesn't peel like Seche sometimes does. I can get a full week of a nice looking manicure, although sometimes if I'm too rough on my nails I experience nicking and little scratches which can probably be solved by reapplying every other night.
But there's a special reason I fell in love with it! I accidentally pressed down my nail while it was drying and I panicked. I quickly applied a thick coat of the top coat, hoping it would level out the wrinkle. It did! It leveled it out perfectly, no ugly wrinkle in sight. I was brushing quite hard and the chocolate color didn't even transfer onto the brush, which happens with a lot of other top coats.
Another plus with this top coat is that you can add regular polish thinner (I use Orly's) to it and the consistency will go right back to new. You don't waste anything! I'm looking at you, Seche Vite.
The brush is a little long and thin, which I'm not a huge fan of, but as long as I continue to love this top coat I'll cope with it.
I'll be continuing to buy this, especially at its $5 price tag, until I can find something that tops it which I doubt will happen anytime soon. I'm in love!