September 23, 2014 | 2038 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Quick Dry Top Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by LuxeLuver374

I don't want to say this is necessarily better than Seche Vite; I think it just comes down to your personal preference. However, this top coat beats out SV for me personally, because:

1) It has a thinner consistency (but still self-levels very well).
2) The brush actually reaches close to the bottom of the bottle (which means less wasted product).
3) It is big-3 free, which makes me easier in my mind about using it.
4) It is slightly cheaper, and Revlon is almost always running some sort of sale.
5) It does add shine and dry lacquer to the touch (note: that's to the touch, not completely!) in about 10-15 min. A little slower than SV, but still not bad.
6) No shrinkage whatsoever.

I do have two issues with Revlon's top coat, however:

1) I've used it with Deborah Lippmann, OPI, and Revlon polishes so far and every time, without fail, my nail polish would peel off in a single sheet after about a week. Makes removal easier, haha, but...weird. And annoying. This is the reason I docked a lipstick from the overall rating.

2) Color transfer (means that the brush picks up the polish color and tints your top coat). Also had this issue with SV and it drove me nuts. However, I figured out how to avoid this: Wait for 5-10 min after you paint your last coat to apply Revlon's top coat. The polish dries enough in this time to prevent color transfer. If color transfer still occurs, wipe the color off the top coat brush (which is clear, so you can see if there's color at the tip) onto a piece of tissue or something before you stick it back in the bottle.

Overall, passing over the peeling issue, I would buy this again. It has replaced SV as my go-to quick-dry topcoat.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Nicole1021

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This top coat dries faster and works better than any Opi, Essie and Orly products. It goes on smooth and dries enamel very quickly. Definitely my favorite top coat so far.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by missykeyana

I like the formula of this top coat. When I apply it, it dries the surface of my manicure quickly, and all the way through within 30-45 minutes. The problem with this, however, is the brush. Now I can tolerate Revlon's notoriously skinny brushes for the sake of the quality nail polish. I can't, however, deal with the pulling, balding, and denting this ill-designed brush does to my fresh manicures! For this reason I've docked two lippies. I won't buy this again until Revlon redesigns the brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by crystelle07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am always on the run with work and home and I always find myself blowing on my nails. This Revlon Quick Dry is awesome. I put it on about a minute after I paint my nails and it drys my nails quickly. I would recommend this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by EmilyTheShopaholic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This top coat works well for me. I have a brand new bottle of Seche Vite, but I still got some shrinkage with a couple polishes and it didn't end up as shiny as I wanted it. I don't get any shrinkage with the Revlon top coat. It makes the polish look flawless, even if there were issues with application. It just smooths everything out. I LOVE the high shine finish.

I will say it dries slowly when compared to other quick dry top coats, especially Seche Vite. But it dries quick enough for me. I always do my nails at night and never have sheet marks (and I always did with OPI's top coat.) It definitely does not dry to a hard finish in 60 seconds like it claims.

It's a nice formula, not runny but thin enough that it goes on like a dream. My bottle is only about a month old, though, so it may thicken up with time. Although I paid like $4.50 for it at Target, so I wouldn't be too upset if I had to buy another bottle in a couple months.

After trying many different brands and formulas over the years searching for the perfect top coat, I'm happy I've finally found this one. It's the perfect one for me.

Edit: I had to take off a lippy for formula inconsistency! The second bottle I bought bubbles up no matter what I do! Not to mention the brush barely reaches halfway down the bottle. The packaging is god awful! I loved this stuff at first but then I used too much and bought a new bottle, and I'm kind of disillusioned. I've switched to Poshe and am happier with that for now.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2012 8:22:00 AM More reviews by toyarosie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked this up after getting SO frustrated with how quickly Seche Vite went from AWESOME to a thick, goopy mess. I've had it for 6 months or so now, and the bottle is *just* running out - and I do probably two manicures a week at least. Its STILL of a thin consistency, not AS thin as it was, but definitely easy to apply (just hard to reach the bottom of the bottle!). I don't like Revlon polishes as a rule, but this quick-dry top coat is pretty stellar. Doesn't dry as fast or as shiny as Seche Vite, but I'll take the slightly longer dry time over tossing half a bottle of Seche out just because it becomes unusable! And this cheaper, too :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2012 12:06:00 PM More reviews by Chelles93

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this. I'm not committed enough to put in the extra work required with the Seche Vite and this stuff works just fine.

Best top coat I've used - it does dry quickly for me and helps even crappy polish stay longer. If I dab a bit on my ends every day I can extend a manicure to maybe 5 days, when without it I might get two.

I skipped this the last time I polished my nails and they lasted one day. I'd used it the week before with the same exact polish and that lasted six days, until I went swimming. Huge difference. Will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by smarteepants712

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Everything about this is just "OK." I am a former Seche Vite believer, but once I got halfway through the bottle (like everyone else) I found out it was worthless because of how gummy it got ASIDE from the fact that its near impossible to reach the bottom of the bottle. I think its ridiculous that I can't use half of a product especially when that wasn't all that cheap . Also, I finally realized the nailpolish I lost on the tips was actually from SV "shrinking" the polish. I then bought this b/c of the great reviews and the stream of SV converts. Well, first I bought the quick dry liquid on accident which I will get into later. After experiencing the immediate dry with SV, it was really difficult to transition to this. Those polishes that I had to use more than 2 coats... forget it. I would put this on 2 hours before bed and still wake up with marks the next day. It only helps drying time if you use 2 coats. Additionally, it doesn't do anything to extend the life of my polish. I just felt really indifferent to this product. It's better than nothing, but not by much. Incidentally, the quick dry liquid actually dries my polish much quicker, but I was really looking for a topcoat/quickdry in one (so I could also reapply daily to extend the manicure) -- so this didn't work for my purposes (especially b/c it also leaves oil behind, on purpose, like a cuticle oil) so I really didn't like using this as a polish finisher.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by BerryObsession

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I just bought my third bottle of this top coat and I really love it. It leaves my nails very shiny and helps the polish underneath last a little longer than without it. The reason I gave this 4 lippies is because on some thicker nail polishes it takes much longer to dry and even after it feels dry sometimes I will still see dents in my nails an hour or so late. Also when I use about 3/4 of it it starts to get goopy and too thick to apply making my polish look uneven. Overall however, I would recommend this product and out of Seche Vite, OPI, and a few Sally Hansen top coats I have tried this is my favorite.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 11:58:00 PM More reviews by SoCalNanny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm always on the search for a quick dry top coat. I've tried Rimmel, Sally Hansen, Orly....but this stuff actually works! I'm always getting the urge to do my nails at bedtime, and previously would wake up with smudged nails and would have to start all over. Last night I applied my new OPI (Barefoot in Barcelona-LOVE) and applied this and woke up this morning with great nails!