Calamine Lotion

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok this is my favorite mask right now. Ive used so many. I didnt like mint julep because it was a little irritating, but this is just what im looking for. make sure to get one with good ingredients. mine had bentonite in it, a type of clay thats great for absorbing oil. and there is no alcohol in the one i bought, DONT GET ONE WITH ALCOHOL. it defeats the purpose of this mask. I dont think mine is a brand name, I think I got the CVS generic brand. but anyways, used as a mask this dries up spots and at the same time calms them. it calms redness and absorbs oil. I put it on a huge pimple I had, well more of like a cyst, and when I took it off the redness had gone down sooo much. I love calamine products. read my review for the aveeno calamine cream. i also love this.

on 5/7/2010 11:27:00 AM

I read about this on a revew here on MUA and I thought I would try it.....

This is fantastic for reducing the redness caused by spots and blemishes. Because it leaves a chalky pink colour on my skin (I am NC35) I have to use this at night, right before I go to bed.

I wake up with no redness at all and find that it dramatically reduces the appearance of my acne which is fantastic!!

Its cheap. 99p from Boots (I had to go to a large branch, smaller branches didnt have it) for 200ml but its a glass bottle and not pretty or travel friendly so I have decanted some into a smaller plastic bottle.

I am also taking Zinc (one the ingrediants in Calamine lotion) orally in the form of 25mg tablets (one a day) and I think that has also helped improve my acne.

Another reviewer said that she uses this after shaving her bikini area...and i have to say after trying it - its great for down there too. I leave it on for 15 mins and then wash it off and I find I dont get as many in growing hairs and the redness and irritation is next to none!

Fantastic and cheap....I LOVE it!!

on 5/2/2010 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

If you ever suffer from painful acne this is your product! I get cystic acne i can feel with its own pulse under my skin, throughout the day(if im not headed anywhere) and at night i apply a decent amount to the area with a qtip let it dry wihich only takes 5-8 min. and then continue to reapply and let it dry in between applications, usually when i do this they dont even break the skin..all the swelling goes down, and i follow with the triple antibiotic cream recomended on here...cant think of the name of it right now. i looooove calamine lotion and think it would work on any skin type.

on 4/30/2010 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

So..I normally have 'clear' skin, just a few blemishes that can cover up easily with powder. I recently started breaking out, probably due to a moisturizer that I decided to try. Anyways, my usual Tea Tree Oil didn't work (tried it for a week, no improvement), so I decided to get a BP medicated face wash (also tried for a week, no improvement), which I think aggravate it even more. I have a concert coming up, so in my desperate times, I remember seeing reviews for calamine lotion and I had a bottle in my bathroom cabinet, so I decided to give it a try. I've been using this for 3 nights already, I REALLY packed it on. And now, the cystic acne are beginning to disappear. I can actually cover it up now with just my usual powder foundation.
The calamine is really drying, but it actually did not make my skin flaky, so it's pretty good..when using calamine lotion, I actually moisturize with jojoba oil first. This is really cheap, so it doesn't hurt to try it out..unless you're allergic to calamine.

on 4/20/2010 9:38:00 PM

WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I use this as a spot treatment before bedtime and leave it on over night it greatly reduced the size and redness of problem areas more than any other of the bazillion products I have tried! Also I put it on my cheeks if they start to clog from trying a new moisturizer! Works great!!! Will never be without again! Package is not ideal but hey it works thats all I really care about anyway!

on 4/6/2010 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

(I am using the Boots own brand Calamine lotion with Zinc, which only cost me 99p!)
I was in the chemist recently and saw this calamine lotion whilst I was buying some witch hazel and as it was so cheap and I know that my skin liks calamine I decided to give it a try.
As this isn't a clear liquid (its a pale pink milky colour) I can't use it during the day, but I apply it at night as a treatment, with a cotton ball. I have had fantastic results through doing this. It is very good if your skin is a little sensitive and can't tolerate all the BP, Salicylic acid etc that are in normal acne treatments.
Fantastic product, so glad I found it, very cheap and easy to use, with great results. Def. recommend it!

on 3/22/2010 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I always have the clear calamine on hand for mosquito bites in the summer. I had never before thought about using it on my face (for acne). I can't remember where I came across this tip (probably here on MUA) and I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. My skin has gotten VERY bad within the past 6 months or so. I've tried different cleansers, toners/astringents, bought the Neutrogena Wave, different spot treatments....nothing has helped. The left side of my face along my jawline was always red, painful, and had lots of cystic acne. I went out and got the CVS brand of the calamine lotion, the regular pink stuff. I have been using it as a mask/spot treatment at night for not even a week yet and it has changed my skin considerably. It's not as red, it doesn't hurt and I'm not having the big nasty cysts. By no means is my skin clear, but it's such a big improvement I can't believe it. I felt like a freak or monster before, and now I'm not ashamed to go out in public. This can be a little drying so I make sure to moisturize, but it's totally worth it for the results I've seen so far. This is the clearest my face has been in SIX MONTHS!!! This bottle should last a long time but when it does run out if I still need it I will definitely repurchase.

on 3/18/2010 10:18:00 PM

I highly recommend everyone with bad skin to give this product a shot. While it may not have cleared me completely I have noticed significant improvement and the stuff is so cheap and much more natural than BP which doesn't work so great for me anyway.I use this as both a spot treatment and a mask. I think it has helped a lot with redness from old marks which bp does nothing to help and it dries up existing blemishes. I use walgreens brand pink. Might try to find a clear version for during the day.

on 3/15/2010 10:24:00 AM

I've been fighting adult acne and spending TONS of money on expensive acne stuff for nothing.

After purchasing Mario Badescu's drying lotion, I realised it smelled like calamine and when I checked, alas, it WAS calamine!!

so I researched online and this is what I do now.

I use Mario badescu's calamine for the night (pink spots) and then use clear colorless for the day!

I've JUST started using the clearless calamine (caladryl) for two days so I can't say much but calamine IS the solution for when ur skin doesn't work well with Benzoyl peroxide, Lactic acid, Sacylic acid!!

It truly works a LOT faster than most of those ingredients mentioned :)

on 2/15/2010 12:14:00 PM

This is a great spot treatment for acne. My mom told me about this, she used this when she was a teenager and was too poor to buy BP treatments. Instead of irritating the crap out of your blemishes like BP does, it dries but soothes them away. For really nasty cysts I first apply a layer of Mario Badescu buffering lotion which is basically sulfur and zinc. After that dries I apply the calamine. However, the calamine does leave a pink spot so this is best used at night or at home.

Popular Treatments (Face)