July 24, 2014 | 1795 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2010 12:17:00 PM More reviews by tealeafdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

(I am using the Boots own brand Calamine lotion with Zinc, which only cost me 99p!)
I was in the chemist recently and saw this calamine lotion whilst I was buying some witch hazel and as it was so cheap and I know that my skin liks calamine I decided to give it a try.
As this isn't a clear liquid (its a pale pink milky colour) I can't use it during the day, but I apply it at night as a treatment, with a cotton ball. I have had fantastic results through doing this. It is very good if your skin is a little sensitive and can't tolerate all the BP, Salicylic acid etc that are in normal acne treatments.
Fantastic product, so glad I found it, very cheap and easy to use, with great results. Def. recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by jmstraight

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I always have the clear calamine on hand for mosquito bites in the summer. I had never before thought about using it on my face (for acne). I can't remember where I came across this tip (probably here on MUA) and I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. My skin has gotten VERY bad within the past 6 months or so. I've tried different cleansers, toners/astringents, bought the Neutrogena Wave, different spot treatments....nothing has helped. The left side of my face along my jawline was always red, painful, and had lots of cystic acne. I went out and got the CVS brand of the calamine lotion, the regular pink stuff. I have been using it as a mask/spot treatment at night for not even a week yet and it has changed my skin considerably. It's not as red, it doesn't hurt and I'm not having the big nasty cysts. By no means is my skin clear, but it's such a big improvement I can't believe it. I felt like a freak or monster before, and now I'm not ashamed to go out in public. This can be a little drying so I make sure to moisturize, but it's totally worth it for the results I've seen so far. This is the clearest my face has been in SIX MONTHS!!! This bottle should last a long time but when it does run out if I still need it I will definitely repurchase.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 10:18:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I highly recommend everyone with bad skin to give this product a shot. While it may not have cleared me completely I have noticed significant improvement and the stuff is so cheap and much more natural than BP which doesn't work so great for me anyway.I use this as both a spot treatment and a mask. I think it has helped a lot with redness from old marks which bp does nothing to help and it dries up existing blemishes. I use walgreens brand pink. Might try to find a clear version for during the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by mininana

I've been fighting adult acne and spending TONS of money on expensive acne stuff for nothing.

After purchasing Mario Badescu's drying lotion, I realised it smelled like calamine and when I checked, alas, it WAS calamine!!

so I researched online and this is what I do now.

I use Mario badescu's calamine for the night (pink spots) and then use clear colorless for the day!

I've JUST started using the clearless calamine (caladryl) for two days so I can't say much but calamine IS the solution for when ur skin doesn't work well with Benzoyl peroxide, Lactic acid, Sacylic acid!!

It truly works a LOT faster than most of those ingredients mentioned :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2010 12:14:00 PM More reviews by dorirose

This is a great spot treatment for acne. My mom told me about this, she used this when she was a teenager and was too poor to buy BP treatments. Instead of irritating the crap out of your blemishes like BP does, it dries but soothes them away. For really nasty cysts I first apply a layer of Mario Badescu buffering lotion which is basically sulfur and zinc. After that dries I apply the calamine. However, the calamine does leave a pink spot so this is best used at night or at home.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 2:50:00 AM More reviews by kelliebellerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've always had serious trouble keeping my bikini area rash free after shaving (and waxing is worse for me, so don't even go there.)

I've tried EVERYTHING! believe me! I have seriously thin sensitive skin and terribly coarse fast growing hair. I'm cursed.

Calamine lotion is the BEST for preventing and or relieving razor burn and red bumps. I just apply it after shaving, let it dry, and it completely prevents razor rash. And when i forget to use it and do get razor rash, it helps get rid of it FAST.

Do not confuse this with caladryl (which contains a numbing agent that can cause allergic reactions) or caladryl clear (which will not help whatsoever). Go with the super cheap generic stuff! The caladryl stuff might be great for skeeter bites, but not for acne or razor burn.

It's a little messy to apply with the consistency being like water. Cotton balls just get weird and sticky. I've found those little cosmetic wedges that we all used to use before we discovered the amazingness of the foundation brush works VERY well.

Yes, it's lame that it'll leave the area a light pink chalky color after application. However, it kinda rubs off after a while (no it will not permanently stain your unmentionalbes though). So, by the time you're showing off your bikini area, it should be gone. (and if it's not, lightly brushing it off with a CLEAN towel is easy enough.) Personally, I think the chalky residue potential is far less off putting than a bikini area covered in nasty red icky bumps.

I don't have acne, but given how similar razor bumps are to acne, i would expect this to be amazing on acne as well. It dries up ickiness, while making the rest of your skin feel calmed, cool, and protected from further irritation. If I had known about this when i was a teenager, it would have saved me from the horror of benzoyl peroxide.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2010 2:38:00 PM More reviews by coriforia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I get these odd bumps on my neck and upper back. I think its irritation from my hair products but I can't figure out what causes it because no matter what I use/don't use, I get these bumps. They are almost a cross between acne and a rash, but don't itch. Well nothing I put on them worked, until I tried calamine lotion! I rub a thin layer on at night and let it dry before sleeping. In the morning, they are much better. After consistently using this, they go away. I use the Rite-Aid brand because its paraben free.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 3:13:00 AM More reviews by Padmasana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a really wonderful spot treatment for me. I don't reach for it often but it's a must have in my "emergency skincare arsenal". I use this I when I have a few whiteheads that I want to bring down in size and this does the job of shrinking them considerably overnight. I apply a small amount to my problem areas with a q-tip. If applied on my t-zone (with a cotton ball), this also helps me control my oilies. I've only done this a few times on very hot, humid days, because for me, it doesn't go very well underneath my makeup even if I try to apply a very fine layer. I've also applied Acne.org BP or my clinique salicylic acid spot treatment gel and then calamine over it (or vice-versa works fine), and I've had success with that too. Make sure you purchase the Calamine, not the Caladryl Clear. I thought it was just a clear version of calamine lotion but it's not.

I don't know how this alone would compare, but I thought I'd point out that calamine is one of the ingredients, or rather the main ingredient in Mario Badescu drying lotion, (the other being alcohol/salicylic acid...which explains why this combined with my clinique spot treatment gel gives me great results) So if you're interested in trying the MD drying lotion but find it too pricey, which I did, save yourself some money and give this a try instead.

I mainly use this at night, and if I'm alone because I will end up with light pink spots on my face, or if applied all over, I just look like a character from Twilight. lol

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2009 11:37:00 PM More reviews by mmmMarilyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

AMAZING! I have been going to the dermatologist for years now and I love the regimen I'm on--avar green cream in the day, metrogel at night (I have a rosacea/acne combo--wonderful...NOT.) but whenever I have a giant booboo or even a breakout on my chest, back, or shoulders--I reach for my calamine lotion! It dries without irritating and is super cheap. Highly recommended and found pretty much everywhere!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by rose1234

This is great for acne. After years of prescriptions and OTC treatments, I tried using calamine lotion as a mask for my (cystic) acne. My face was messed up enough it took a while using it as a treatment every night for everything to clear up, but it has and I have been acne free for a long time. I would suggest the generic brand that just has glycerin and calamine as active ingredients, not a topical pain reliever.

I think this could put dermatologists out of business!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No