August 27, 2014 | 1957 users online

Treatments (Face) - De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by haikusamurai

De La Cruz Pomada de Azufre (10% Sulfur Ointment)

Sulfur has been used since the time of the Greeks for acne. IT WORKS. When my skin is angry, this calms it way down. This is way, way better than topical OTC Acnomel (which has alcohol, terrible for your skin!). This particular sulfur formula is awesome. Got if for super cheap at Food Maxx, with the other "Mexican" personal care products. Like, $5.00. Used at night, and very lightly under makeup on a bad spot.

Other tips: avoid processed soy (it has estrogen, which exacerbates acne) -- boca burgers, tofu, etc.) and also eliminate dairy from your diet.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2011 6:50:00 PM More reviews by ducky95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this!!! :D This is the most amazing acne medication in the world. It does take a little getting used to, by that I mean at first, it did dry my skin out but my skin has been almost acne free since I started uising this for the last 2 years. I love it sooo much. The smell (old eggs) is gross. It gets a little messy. But its soo much for such a little price. A little goes a loooooooooongggg way. It ususally lasts me about 6-8 months depending on how often I use it. I use it when Im stating to break out. And it works like magic. In less then a week, the acne is all gone. I recomend using it only once at night because it can dry you out if used in the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by bluebirdie_ca

My skin has always been oily and acne prone. But through deligent cleansing, acne control treatment, and a lot of work, I was able to keep the breakout down to infrequent for years. Last winter, after a month of holiday festing on chocolate and sweets, I expierienced a serious of horrible acne breakouts on my chin. My old routine could no longer control the outbreak. So I started looking for new topical treatment before resorting to oral treatment from the dermotologist.

I've been using 5% Sulfur products prescribed by my dermotologist for years and have had good luck. After reading hundreds of reviews on ManeupAlley, I decided to try the De La Cruz Sulfur ointment because it is stronger (10%) than my old products. An easy decision, but hard to find. I looked through all the local drugstores and Walmarts but no luck. Finally I found a Spanish supermarket a bit out of the way but for sure, they have this product in stock.

The product is like everyone else described. It comes in a tube. I started using it once a day by using a clean toothpic to pick up the product, and dotting heavily on the acne. Then I use a clean spetula to pick up more oinment and applied thinly on the whole chin and nose to prevent new breakout. Within three days, the huge zcne shrunk from pea size down to smaller than a grain of rice. I continue this application for two weeks. Though the small bump is still there for one stubburn acne, other small breakouts all cleared and no new one had surfaced.

This oinment is quite strong even for my skin which is used to sulfur products. The skin where I applied the oinment heavily turned dark. The skin on the chin looked dull after two weeks. So I reduced the application to twice a week. I know for sure this works because for a month, I tried several acne spot treatment with my old Sulfur routine, but nothing fought this acne breakout like the De La Cruz sulfur ointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by LakesideRemedy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I saw this product on a different forum and thought I would try it. I would say that this is an excellent product to help dry out zits. It smells, but the smell fades as the product dries. I apply this before I sleep and in the morning my blemish is definitely diminished. I have to say that I am not religious about using this and my face has suffered, but when I do use it, it is great to just quickly get rid of a zit. A definite must try!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 1:12:00 PM More reviews by marimunoz

I am amazed at how well this worked to clear up the acne on my chin. Others did a great job of describing this product so I will only add that it feels a oily and grainy when you apply it. I only use this at night and cover my pillow witha towel so it doesn't get all over my pillow. The next morning I washed it off and the pimples on my chin were smooth and red. I also had a lot of blackheads on my nose cheeks and temples. They were also gone! I used it 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks and it did dry out my skin. My skin did purge the first week but the zits were gone in a day. My face feels clean and smooth. I haven't had anymore blackheads or breakout since. I now just use this once a week to keep my face acne free. I've had acne since I was a teen and this is the only thing that worked for me. I definitley recommend you give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 3:25:00 PM More reviews by alaintrain22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I only get cystic acne when I am under a lot of stress,grad school final exams for example. Well my mom has been in the hospital and 6 cystic pimples popped up out of no where...this speeds up the healing time and even helps slightly with the post pimple stain. This is yellow and sticky so it clings to the skin and dries it out. Mario Badescu has only 2% sulfur, this has 10%. You can't where it during the day, which is ok for me or else I get chapped and dry. They also make a soap with this too which I use if I get some body break outs and it clears them up. I warn you it is drying and stinky but it really helps with those deep painful ones. Check out your local walgreens for it.

Oh and to give you an idea about me I have combo skin with moderate acne.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2010 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this months ago and forgot to review. It worked fairly well but I was a bit weary since the container doesn't say what the ingredients mix of polyethylene glycols are exactly. The texture is a bit off putting. It's creamy but is very thick (heavy) and uncomfortable for me. The smell didn't bother me and I didn't find the smell very strong. I stopped using this after I made my own 10% sulfur lotion (see my notepad for recipe). I like knowing the ingredients and making my own lotion was super easy.
My 15yo son uses this ointment now. He calls it "egg cream" because to him the sulfur smells like eggs. LOL (doesn't smell like eggs to me but he has an extremely heightened sense of smell). He says it's the only thing that is working to keep his skin acne free. He only uses it overnight because of the smell.
If you can handle the texture and smell (and don't want to make your own), I say it's definitely worth a try. It's dirt cheap (about $4) and a little goes a long way. Might be hard to find (I found it at a Walgreens after trying 6 or 7 other places). You can also get it at the Walgreens website.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2010 12:30:00 AM More reviews by dodgers55

I believe this is a great spot-treatment for those tedious pimples that sprout every once in a while.I became interested in this product based on its sulfur counterparts.I had tried the Proactiv Mask and Sulfur was it's first listed ingredient so i searched for sulfur products and this one seemed to fit the bill.It's very effective and quite cheap.I don't feel the need to look for more products to help an inconvenient pimple.This one is IT.
I don't have a serious acne problem as I have a very strict skincare regimen, so I only get a pimple every 2-3 months or so, but that 1 pimple is usually a painful cystic one.Well this ointment takes care of it within 2-5 days at the most.Whatever your acne woes definitely check it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2009 9:45:00 PM More reviews by argentina_i

Oh man, this stuff is amazing. It is cheap, not too difficult to find, and it WORKS.

First off, most of the other reviews have touched on the cons. The ointment is thick, it has a slight smell, and the texture can be a bit off putting. I usually find this at Wal-Mart and Target pretty easily (in the southwest at least). It costs about 4 dollars, and it comes in a small tub.

I agree with most of the other reviews, this is best used a spot treatment. If you put it all over your face, your face may over dry, get irritated, or just feel uncomfortable (since its so thick, and it warms up a bit after application, its uncomfortable if you have it on your whole face). I only use it on an 'as-needed' basis, which is a few times a month. However, it does the trick in a couple of nights.

I have occasional cystic acne, pretty regular hormonal acne along my chin/jaw line, and blackheads on my nose. I don't find ANYTHING that works for my blackheads, but this helps more than most creams. It works great on painful, cystic acne, and I've head that since sulfur encourages skin cells to be produced, may help with scarring.

This works better for me than any other acne ingredient (BP, SA, etc), prescription or OTC ever did.

If you've never used a sulfur based product before, give it a try. It may be the ingredient that will help your acne if nothing else has worked. I highly recommend this pomade, its definitely my HG acne spot treatment. Also, sometimes you can find Grisi sulfur soap alongside this in stores. Its a sulfur based soap that is like a 1 - a killer bargain. If you use both, remember to MOISTURIZE as sulfur can be drying.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2009 4:58:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Although my acne has improved I still constantly have 1-3 stubborn pimples sometimes cysts at a time. My skin responds pretty well to sulfur in products such as queen helene mask and acnomel so I wanted to try this. I like acnomel but it is kindof expensive for a little tube but wanted this to be a cheaper replacement, but no such luck. I really only used it for a short period of time so maybe it will work for others. For me it felt like I was smearing thick glue on my face, I could hardly stand to keep in on my face overnight. Tried for two nights and didn't see much improvement. I will stick with the acnomel for now.
UPDATE: I really keep trying to use this but I finally am giving up. Although my acne responds really well to sulfur this just doesn't do the trick and it feels so icky on my skin.