July 28, 2014 | 1144 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I took a spoonful of this every morning until the bottle finished and my skin automatically cleared up. It's great taken orally! I haven't tried it on my face but I think I might in the near future.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by overweighty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin - rosacea with dry patches in the winter, oily in the summer. No matter what season, this is a staple in my beauty regime. I use a honey mask on my face several times a week before bed. My favorite is to add skim milk to thin out the honey. It has a less sticky consistency. I have also tried adding plain yogurt, which is very soothing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by MizzMuneca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After much research on MUA and various internet sites I decided to shell out $32+ at Whole Foods. I bought Wedderspoon 100% Raw Organic Manuka Honey UMF 16+. Originally i wuz looking for a UMF of at least 18 but supposedly UMF 16 is medical grade so it heals wounds and other conditions just the same. I'm prone to hormonal/cystic acne mostly on my chin so I wuz hoping this would make the redness and bumps go down faster. I wouldn't say this is a miracle product, def doesn't make my cystic acne go down overnite but I'm not stuck with the same under the skin bumps for a month when i use this. Usually it takes a wk to 2wks for them to go down with this honey. With continued use it helps my acne scars lighten as well, nothing drastic...but most of us women kno that cystic acne leaves scars whether or not we touch/pick at it and we're left w a dark mark....on my pale skin im left with bright reddish-pink scars...when i use the honey as a mask or on my skin overnite the spots lighten up a bit. I've been using this almost daily since June and its def helped w irritation and swelling from zits but again, I wouldnt say its done miracles.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by RMutt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. I had read some of these reviews a few months ago and thought manuka honey was just another fad natural 'cure-all' and didn't really consider trying it (honey sounds sticky and messy). But then I decided to give it a try for my chronic blackheads and occasional pimple. Anyways, I bought some from a honey vendor (in St.Lawrence Market, for any of you Toronto girls out there...). I bought the UMF 25 level (brand: Manuka Honey of New Zealand, in a blue jar), and 250ml cost me $40CDN, which is a lot for honey but less than I have spent on other beauty products that didn't do anything. I use it as a mask and also dab a very thin layer on my problem areas before bed every night. I wake up with clear, firm but springy, moist, healthy skin for the first time in 20 years! Blackheads are totally gone. Flaky patches are supple and calm again, and my lips are super soft. A tiny dab is enough so the small jar will last ages and is totally worth the price. The day I bought the honey I had a raging zit on my cheekbone so I put a thick glob on the spot and it totally calmed the inflammation, peeling and general unsightliness. It healed in like, half the time with far less inflammation. Yes, it's a bit sticky on my face and I wake up with the occasional cat hair stuck to me (cat sleeps in the bed :)), but it's been totally worth it. I won't buy another drugstore product for acne ever again, this is the bomb. I also mixed it with aloe gel and put it on a sunburn on my shoulders the other day before bed, when I woke up the burn was totally calm and painless (and not peeling!). This works and tastes good too. It puts all those murad products in my cabinet to shame.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2010 9:19:00 AM More reviews by Roowsiejj

I LOVE IT!! After using loads of products that were just simpy destroying my skin (e.g. clinique 3 step) I wanted to use all natural products.. Manuka honey is one of them, I use it as a mask (UMF 18+) and makes my skin so soft, and clear! I use it as a quick cleanser as well (after my regular cleanser) when my face is dry from the weather. Its amazing how natural products can make ur skin feel and look so amazing..will buy again and again..

a little goes a looooooooooooong way!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by goldenbrown

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love it! I've been using UMF 10+ for a week; 4 hrs at night and 15 mins in the morning and it's beautiful! My skin had broken out so badly but this is healing it up so nicely - reduced pimple size, its CLEARING MY SCARS. Ah, I am so happy - my scars are fading away.Manuka Honey contains vitamins, nutrients, amino acids and sugars which play a role in collagen synthesis for the reduction of scars.My skin tone is even and glowing and my acne is just melting away. I love natural products, I hate putting chemicals on my skin, I feel like it will only make it worse in the long run. I used to use oils (even if it was pretty good, I could go out without makeup :D), I didn't want to use oils this time as the skin purges before it gets better; honey doesn't make my skin purge, it just heals.
Apparently;

In addition to preventing scars, Manuka Honey provides the following benefits for wound healing:

■A moist and sterile environment conducive for the regeneration of skin growth;
■Antioxidant activity that decreases that amount of destructive free radicals;
■Anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce swelling and relieve pain;
■Debriding action that allows easy detachment of scabs and dead tissue;
■Increases in blood circulation to the wound;
■Osmotic effect that draws exudate and impurities from the wound;
■Reduction of wound odor by preventing ammonia production;
■Antibacterial properties that heal infection.

This and MSM cream are my favourite skin foods; MSM really gets rid of my scars; my skin was so ugly before and MSM heals it up so nicely like this honey :)
I love it. My skin is so smooth and glowing and the acne is just going - I got checked out by various people today and that was with no makeup and I had such ugly breakouts, I felt too ashamed to go out without makeup on before. Love this stuff :D

EDIT; WOW! I had a new zit, normally they take ages to fade; it was proper painful & red and I placed honey on it right from the start and in two days it's gone without a trace =O! AMAZING! Normally I scar or it takes weeks for the acne to be totally gone, but now there is nothing left - amazing! It is taking a while to clear acne which I had before the honey but on fresh acne it's amazing =D!

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 5:02:00 AM More reviews by kokosboll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've become more and more interested in natural remedies and skincare after reading some reports on the amount of harmful things in regular products.
Before I ever heard of Manuka honey I used honey for face masks, which I always liked because it made my skin smooth and helped heal pimples.

So when I read about Manuka I was very excited to give it a try, and I picked up some +10 in my local food store as soon as I saw it.

Yesterday I did a mask with it for the first time, and I have to say I am impressed with the results! I have another mask on right now, and hopefully the results will be as great today as they were yesterday.
I agree with what someone before me said about it not being moisturizing, but I like that, and my skin is not too too dry, so it works for me.

All I can do is recommend it to people who wants a cheap face mask that will make your skin smooth, glowing and boost healing of scars and pimples.

And for chrissake, don't forget to eat it too! It tastes great and helps knock out inflamation, as well as boost your immune system

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2010 4:01:00 AM More reviews by tigerh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I get hormonal spots and I'm a picker (for shame!). Things have improved somewhat with spearmint tea, aspirin mask, sudocrem and other potions but I am seriously impressed with Manuka Honey. Usually if I get a spot, or even worse if I pick one, it just gets worse until TOM - nothing I do really clears it up or if it's a scab it's difficult/impossible to cover.

I have put Manuka honey (a tube of UMF 18+ Comvita make) on overnight as a spot treatment for the past week or in the evening if I'm just hanging around at home and for the first time since I don't know when I can completely hide picked spots with makeup and they are a lot less red - they are actually healing and it's not yet TOM! This is a big change from usual, so I'm very impressed. To be fair, I've seen a more dramatic effect on open wounds, but this is my main concern - I can finally hold my head up when I go out!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2009 9:25:00 AM More reviews by skincareman

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My skin: acne and clog-prone, hypersensitive, rosacea.

I use active Manuka honey (UMF 15+) as a mask, usually every couple of days but sometimes daily. I apply it to clean dry skin, leave it on for 15-20 minutes then rinse it off with tepid water, pat dry and apply any other products I may be using.

This has been the single-most effective product that I have ever used. It calms any sensitivity I'm experiencing, reduces redness, evens my skin tone and clears breakouts very quickly. It also seems to be preventing breakouts as I'm able to use less benzoyl peroxide when I use a honey mask regularly. It leaves my skin feeling very soft and comfortable.

It is a miracle product for me and I highly recommend it!

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2009 2:25:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My skin is very, very sensitive, with advanced rosacea and dermatitis.

My rosacea just flared up recently due to using the wrong mineral powder, leaving my face with a very large, bright red, abraded patch. I then bought manuka honey with a rating of 16+ to see if it would calm it down and reduce the redness. Manuka honey is touted at being particularly effective in wound healing and has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. I also (naively) assumed it would moisturize.

Serious miscalculation. I left the honey on for about 30 minutes and then felt a stinging sensation. The patch on my face began burning, and I quickly grabbed my Osmotics Calming Cleansing Milk (thank God for this product) and removed the honey. The Calming Cleansing Milk calmed the stinging but the huge red patch is redder then ever. The manuka honey just made it worse. More research enlightened me. Here's what I learned:

a. Manuka honey is not moisturizing. (It helps heal wounds because it acts as a barrier to the wound drying out, but it doesn't contain moisturizing ingredients)

b. Manuka honey's anti-bacterial properties are probably associated with the fact that it releases hydrogen peroxide--which can irritate sensitive skin

c. My final hard-learned lesson: Never assume that because a product will help heal wounds it will also help heal the messed-up skin that comes with rosacea and dermatitis.

27 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No