December 19, 2014 | 1158 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 5:05:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I use 15+ Manuka Honey from Sainsbury's and love it. Honey really is a staple in my collection....I use it as a mask, a face wash,spot treatment, in my oatmeal, on toast. My main method of use is as a cleanser. I wet my face, apply a teaspoon of honey on and rub in for 1 min. My honey is crystallized, so I get a gentle exfoliation at the same time (great for me as I don't have to use exfoliators anymore). I then leave it on my face whilst I go in the shower and wash, then add a little more water to my face and rub in, get my Dove beauty soap and apply that on top, rub it in for another minute and rinse it all off. After rinsing my face is left ridiculously soft and smooth, hydrated, plump...and any blemishes I have are reduced in size and redness the next day. My skin is calm and not irritated. and the pores on my nose look slightly smaller. I use honey as a cleanser once a day and the improvement in my skin is so noticeable. I don't get any dryness or flakiness anymore (great for this cold British weather right now as before when I would apply foundation in the mornings, I'd look like a hot flakey mess!) and don't break out as much either. I use it as a proper facial mask once a month or so (I apply on damp skin and leave on for 3 hours or so) and that works amazingly aswell. It's natural, edible (I always have fun licking my lips when I'm using honey hee hee) and works. I'll definately be using this for years to come.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by jadengai

I have rosacea, combination skin. I have been fighting this rosacea thing for a year. My worst moments are fire-flaring skin, burning, full of papules and my skin is rough like bark, dry like desert. I saw a clip of using manuka honey on the net, so I figure what da heck, give it a try.

I used Comvita UMF 15+ manuka honey. The first time after used, i could feel the difference between using a chemical-made cleansing milk and a natural product. my face first time ever felt not drying or oily, as you know the drier your skin, the more oil your skin produce. face wasn't red or burning, just quite calm. That's a huge progress for rosacea skin.

I will splash warm water on my face, massage the honey into my skin, about half tsp, for 30 sec, then wash it away with warm water.

Gradually my skin got a lot smoother, BUT then after a few days of use, my chin started getting more and more papules, and the cheekbone area gets really red with bumpy and blotchy patches. And my face was burning again day to night.

I stopped using it and turned to washing my face with distilled water and the burning went away, but the red patches remains.

The clip I watched says M. honey is better for dry skin and raw organic honey is for acne-prone skin. I tried both and I do prefer the texture of manuka, not as drying for my skin. I am thinking that maybe UMF 15+ M.honey's anti-bacterial properties is too potent, thus have too much hydrogen peroxide that affects sensitive skin. I might change to a lower UMF like 5+ to see how it goes. research says that UMF5+ M.honey only has a maintenance level in antibacterial potency and is like a table honey. I tried normal pure table honey, it's really a big nono, red bumps appeared right after used. Pure table honey and UMF5+ manuka honey properly have similar level of hydro. peroxide, but UMF5+ will be a raw honey and is manuka.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2010 5:54:00 PM More reviews by illeyad

There are countless uses for Manuka Honey- it is definitely one of natures power foods, as it can treat a variety of conditions and illnesses either internally or externally. Research suggests that Manuka Honey particularly from New Zealand contains specific minerals and nutrients, and unparalleled anti bacterial properties not found in typical Manuka Honey (it usually has an amber colour). When buying Manuka honey, make sure to buy it in a UMF rating between 10-16, anything less then 10, means the honey is not active and anything over 16 may be too potent. Manuka is usually used to treat:

1. Wounds- it acts as a barrier and works to heal the skin faster as well as eliminate bacteria

2. Eye Infections (mix a tsp of honey into a 1 cup of luke warm water until dissolved) use eye dropper to place in eyes as needed.

3. Sinus Infections- mix 1 tsp of honey with 1 cup luke warm water, then place in neti pot to clear sinuses and kill bacteria, as well as sooth symptoms.

4. Ulcers/acid reflux- ingesting a tbs a day can heal ulcers, sooth throat from acid reflux, reduce pain, inflammation, aids in the healing process of ulcers, and is good for digestion.

5. Acne- idea for treating acne or any bacterial related inflammation to be taken internally and applied topically as it has anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, and healing properties.

6. All around excellent supplement and/or sweetener for tea.

Manuka Honey has 101 benefits for the body, however I would like to share my skin care secret with you. I would describe myself as having adult acne, mostly hormonal related, very sensitive skin (majority of products irritate my skin or cause me to break out). When I use Manuka Honey, my favourite way to use it (other then eating it, it's very good in tea) I apply it topically. However, when applied on it's own, it does feel very sticky, however I found that mixing it with aloe vera or your favourite moisturizer, resolves this problem.

My results: brighter, smoother skin. My acne is noticeably reduced (it prevents them as well as brings them to a head much faster) , redness is eliminated, irritation is minimal to none, and my overall complexion appears healthier.
Happy Shopping!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 8:51:00 AM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using manuka honey- a not very strong (100) one as "eyedrops". I have pinguecula, and I don't want it to get worse- I also have red eyes almost all the time,and I was a visine addict. I got an eye infection a few weeks ago, and I had been hearing about the miracles of honey and cinnamon, which I was using as a hair mask/lightener, but which can also be used for everything from arthritis to indigestion! Along the research way I found out about manuka, and went and bought a tiny pot of it for 5 euros. (tiny, tiny) I smudge my finger in it, and touch my eyeball. My eye infection went away in 2 days. Completely. I've kept using it, in the hope-against-hope that it will improve the appearance of the pinguecula...It burned insanely the first few times, but it's not so bad anymore. If I use it at night before bed, my eyes AREN'T RED IN THE MORNING. Unheard of for me. I also use it after the shower, or whenever my eyes feel tired- it makes your eyes tear, but it feels like a soothing wash for them, and I hear that it makes your eyelashes grow- it certainly makes them look pretty.
I plan to buy a stronger one and use it for my eyes, internally, and also for skin care- (I am pimple-around-the-chin-forehead-and-mouth-once-a-month-and-when-it-rains prone. Sigh.) will update

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by javajunkie787

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i bought this after reading some reviews on the internet about the healing power of manuka honey. I have a bad problem w/ picking at my skin, often leaving me with cuts, scabs, etc. a few months ago i began putting regular honey w/ a bandaid on my cuts and noticed that it helped a lot w/ redness and speeding up healing (more than neosporin, polysporin, etc). so i figured Manuka would be even better.
the first few times i used this i did not really see any results. it is good for moisture and it is easier to use than regular honey b/c it is not as prone to dripping and running down your face. however, i did not see changes to my acne or cuts.
i think the problem was that i was too quick to wash the manuka off, or i wasnt covering the cut properly. my last experience w/ manuka honey was miraculous. i picked at my skin on a friday night and was left w a large cut that scabbed over the next morning. it looked absolutely awful but i continued to apply vaseline, polysporin, etc. all day saturday.
sunday morning it still looked awful so i decided to give the Manuka another try. i put a good amount on the cut, did not cover it, and just laid down for about 2 hours. after that i took a shower w/ warm water and my cut looked ALOT better - the redness was reduced a lot and the scab was clearly starting to flake off. i did not get my hopes up still - and i put more manuka on and hung out for another hour only. when i rubbed it off the entire scab came off leaving a pink mark that i can cover up much more easily. i was in shock. less than 48 hours to heal a scab? the manuka healed it in seriously 3-4 hours. it is really great for redness and something about the manuka honey helps a scab come off quickly.
i really recommend this for the chronic skin pickers out there. if you find yourself w a bad mark this is probably the fastest thing that will work. it has significant healing power.
i do not like the packaging b/c it is in a jar and its unsanitary. the price was about $25 which is expensive but i can tell it will last a LONG time b/c i only use a little bit. u just need a thin layer for a mask. the one i purchased was from the Vitamin Shoppe and was Active +15.
def will repurchase but ive had my first jar for a few months and its not even 1/3 of the way finished.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2010 12:36:00 AM More reviews by moorkitty

Here in Canada I buy the President's Choice Manuka Honey from Loblaw Superstore. It is less pricey than the health food store but effective. I have mature, menopausal skin tending to rosacea and dehydration. Best method for me is to apply after cleansing and while sitting in the tub to let it do it's work. An East Indian lady told me that her relatives have been using milk and honey on their faces forever as did she, and she has beautiful skin. I am not sure if she uses manuka or regular clover honey. In fact, I tend to switch things up between my honeys and they all seem to work well, but it is only tha Manuka that has the antibacterial factor - important if you have acne. Funny how this works better for me than some of those expensive boutique products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I took a spoonful of this every morning until the bottle finished and my skin automatically cleared up. It's great taken orally! I haven't tried it on my face but I think I might in the near future.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by overweighty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin - rosacea with dry patches in the winter, oily in the summer. No matter what season, this is a staple in my beauty regime. I use a honey mask on my face several times a week before bed. My favorite is to add skim milk to thin out the honey. It has a less sticky consistency. I have also tried adding plain yogurt, which is very soothing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by MizzMuneca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After much research on MUA and various internet sites I decided to shell out $32+ at Whole Foods. I bought Wedderspoon 100% Raw Organic Manuka Honey UMF 16+. Originally i wuz looking for a UMF of at least 18 but supposedly UMF 16 is medical grade so it heals wounds and other conditions just the same. I'm prone to hormonal/cystic acne mostly on my chin so I wuz hoping this would make the redness and bumps go down faster. I wouldn't say this is a miracle product, def doesn't make my cystic acne go down overnite but I'm not stuck with the same under the skin bumps for a month when i use this. Usually it takes a wk to 2wks for them to go down with this honey. With continued use it helps my acne scars lighten as well, nothing drastic...but most of us women kno that cystic acne leaves scars whether or not we touch/pick at it and we're left w a dark mark....on my pale skin im left with bright reddish-pink scars...when i use the honey as a mask or on my skin overnite the spots lighten up a bit. I've been using this almost daily since June and its def helped w irritation and swelling from zits but again, I wouldnt say its done miracles.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by RMutt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. I had read some of these reviews a few months ago and thought manuka honey was just another fad natural 'cure-all' and didn't really consider trying it (honey sounds sticky and messy). But then I decided to give it a try for my chronic blackheads and occasional pimple. Anyways, I bought some from a honey vendor (in St.Lawrence Market, for any of you Toronto girls out there...). I bought the UMF 25 level (brand: Manuka Honey of New Zealand, in a blue jar), and 250ml cost me $40CDN, which is a lot for honey but less than I have spent on other beauty products that didn't do anything. I use it as a mask and also dab a very thin layer on my problem areas before bed every night. I wake up with clear, firm but springy, moist, healthy skin for the first time in 20 years! Blackheads are totally gone. Flaky patches are supple and calm again, and my lips are super soft. A tiny dab is enough so the small jar will last ages and is totally worth the price. The day I bought the honey I had a raging zit on my cheekbone so I put a thick glob on the spot and it totally calmed the inflammation, peeling and general unsightliness. It healed in like, half the time with far less inflammation. Yes, it's a bit sticky on my face and I wake up with the occasional cat hair stuck to me (cat sleeps in the bed :)), but it's been totally worth it. I won't buy another drugstore product for acne ever again, this is the bomb. I also mixed it with aloe gel and put it on a sunburn on my shoulders the other day before bed, when I woke up the burn was totally calm and painless (and not peeling!). This works and tastes good too. It puts all those murad products in my cabinet to shame.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No