August 22, 2014 | 1803 users online

Mascara - Smashbox - Lash DNA

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2011 1:39:00 AM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first pulled the wand out I almost laughed aloud because it was so big and fat, it didn't even seem like a usable brush. I found it very unwieldy and actually ended up stabbing myself in one eye with the wand, and I couldn't get all of it off.

It lengthened and thickened a bit, but the formula wasn't for me. Aside from being a pain to get off (cold cream did not get it all, I had to some extra work), the fibers in it kept getting in my eyes. You know that feeling that you get when you have something stuck in your eye? You can have that with this mascara! Not for me, I don't plan on repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2011 4:38:00 PM More reviews by churchas

I have very long, thin lashes. So at first I absolutely loved this mascara because it gave me very full eyelashes that didn't clump. However, I'm a college student and am constantly thrown in the elements of rain, snow, heat, etc, and always found that this mascara would smudge HORRIBLY the second any type of moisture or droplet of water would contact.

I would recommend this if you want full lashes and are in a dry climate or are not going to be sweaty.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2011 6:27:00 PM More reviews by MissPhelps303

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the BEST mascara I've ever tried. It's a little difficult to use at first but after a while it becomes an addiction! It makes my lashes HUGE and the length it gives is incredible! It doesn't flake at all. I usually put in on at 6:30AM and by 10PM it's still perfect. Also I get so many compliments when I wear it because people can't tell whether I'm wearing mascara or not because it doesn't clump at all. If you want to look like you have naturally huge lashes this is for you. Also, I actually got mine as a sample and I've had it for over 6 months (I know I should throw it out) so the price wasn't relevant to me so if you can get it as a sample you should definitely try it. But when I run out I will, for sure, buy the full size. The jet black color is exactly that...it's not gray or brown or anything. I truly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Becca123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara takes practice. The brush is huge and difficult at first - but for the first time in my life i have had compliments on my long lashes. A co-worker even went out and bought herself one as well. I would say I have normal lashes - but this formula makes them wow! There is no smudging and it comes off easily with mineral melt. I find it can easily withstand a tear or 2. This is now my fav.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by lindsey835

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like the formula, but the brush is too unwieldy. It's difficult to apply without getting clumps or smearing mascara on the lids. I would not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2011 1:02:00 AM More reviews by newbie07

I got a small size tube with my Smashbox Eye Wish palette, I'm glad I didn't buy it. I'd say this mascara volumizes pretty well and doesn't flake, has a really nice big/thick brush, but that's about it. I feel like I get the same kind of volume when I layer eye lash primer and Cover Girl's lash blast. I honestly wouldn't buy this product, but since it came with my palette, I'll use it for additional volume...just for fun!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2011 10:23:00 PM More reviews by lailay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this mascara in a smashbox kit. I was a little skeptical with the "DNA Helix" looking wand (it doesn't look like one to me lol). However I gave it a shot. I ended up really liking the mascara. I have naturally long, straight lashes but they aren't very thick. This did an awesome job of thickening them. You have to apply it correctly though. For me I do one coat using the brush horizontally then use it vertically(this helps you catch every little hair), then I use a metal eyelash comb to take out clumps. I only do one coat because I find that if I do two my lashes stick together. The only negative, besides the cost, is I feel like its very hard to wash off, even after using wipes and eye makeup remover.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2010 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Cellardoor367

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this mascara! I get great results every time I use it. The spooley has a different look to it: Imagine if you took the end of a regular spooley and twisted it a little, thats what this one looks like. I find it is so practical because it picks up any clumps on the lashes as you apply it. (they get stuck back on the spooley as you twist slightly).

They make my lashes look so much longer without any clumping. (my pet peeve- I hate clumpy looking lashes!) I had no idea when I first started using it that it was also supposed to curl your lashes too. I can see now that this is part of the differences in this mascara. My lashes look longer and thicker- but each lash can still be identified. If I coat the lashes on the outer corners a second time, I get a cool illusion of even longer lashes!

My only complaint is it is really really hard to remove at the end of the night.

*** I put this on carefully and build it up slowly. It would just be too much product slapped on at once. This is the type of product I would recommend for the gal that cares about precision. If mascara is a quick last step for you this might not be the best product for you, this mascara is like sculpting the lashes you want, not just darkening them. **

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2010 7:44:00 PM More reviews by jonie_k

The brush is horrible! Weird spiral shape - too big to reach inner lashes without smearing all over. And the mascara does practically nothing. Terrible stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by righteousred

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can make almost any mascara work with a little work, but this was abysmal. Two coats left me with stringy, spidery lashes . . . No volume whatsoever. To add insult to injury, it smudged ALL over after about 1/2 a day (and I rarely have smudge issues) AND was difficult to remove with cleansing oil to boot. The ridiculous brush shape made it impossible to get the bottom lashes and the corners - and because of the weird bristle shape, you're in danger of poking your eye if you wiggle it as the base. I honestly can't think of one nice thing to say about it!