September 21, 2014 | 2119 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Mascara (Thickening)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2011 2:37:00 AM More reviews by leGingbot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't know why this is marketed as a thickening mascara...I noticed nothing like that. It was remarkably watery and
pretty much cemented my lashes together and made them look spiky. Not only this, the formula REALLY irritated my eyes . I mean serious, serious burning.

That said, the wateriness did make the color very, very black.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by noodles74

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This mascara does stay on really well, which is normally a big problem for me, and it does really separate the lashes, but, it doesn't actually thicken them much. I normally like to really wiggle the wand in at the base of my lashes so that they appear really thick, but I can't do that with this one because the brush is so stiff that if i put it close near the roots of my lashes, it kind of pulls and scratches and hurts,and because of that, i can't get the look i want with i....so, i won't be repurchasing, but by no means do i think it's bad mascara, just a very stiff scratchy wand!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2011 9:48:00 PM More reviews by ZenArcade

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is probably my favorite drugstore mascara. I have tiny, almost colorless lashes that are virtually invisible without mascara. This has a gentle formula and a brush that is small enough to bring out tiny lashes. I'd like a little more thickness/volume, but that's hard to achieve with my lousy natural lashes. I think this is the best result possible with an inexpensive brand (I'd love to buy Lancome L'Extreme, but just can't justify the cost right now!).

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2011 2:47:00 AM More reviews by inthiscity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall I'm liking this mascara. I used to be a Maybelline/L'oreal mascara girl (imo they have the best mascaras available at this price point. Waterproof Turbo Volume Express was a former HG.) However lately I've been much more conscious about using cruelty-free brands. I'm not going to lie, it's hard to find a "natural" or cruelty-free mascara that stays put and does it's job (nothing to say about holding a curl.). This is pretty nice though. It doesn't hold a curl as say, Full and soft; but it does offer pleasant length and a good bit of volume. Doesn't seem to migrate too much/no flaking thus far. Give it a try! I'm a eye-rubber + glasses wearer and this has been a pretty gentle option.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 9:36:00 AM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I mostly like this mascara. Mostly. Not enough to buy this again, unfortunately, and here's why: I NEED my Shiseido mascara primer before this or it has no oomph but most of all it gives me panda eyes. I have long lashes and after wearing this for a few hours I notice that there is always black on my brow bone right under my eyebrows. It wipes off easily with a fingertip, but then my shadow goes too. Not cool.
On the plus side it goes on smoothly and easily, doesn't flake or clump, stays put relatively well but comes off easily with mostly water and a bit of cleanser. Makes my lashes look full and lovely but I hate that it smudges. I'm going to end on a positive note: Almay doesn't test on animals and I love that too. I've never seen an animal with makeup on, nor have I seen one carrying a makeup bag. Go Almay :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Ninanuk

Pros: Gentle, no smell to irritate eyes

Cons: Had to put on 3-4 layers to make it look like I was wearing anything at all, did not volumize at all (I have long lashes to begin with, I need thickness!), was impossible to take off, yet managed to migrate to under my lower lashes during the day, despite that I didn't put it on the lower lashes.

A disappointment.

Consider Physician's Formula Organic Volume (or something like that, cannot recall the exact name) if you are looking for a gentle mascara. I found it had a bit more layering (and volume building) ability but washed off easier and smudged less.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by queijada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is my go-to mascara, and not just because it's easy to find & inexpensive. Many mascaras cause my eyes to swell or get puffy, but not this one. The "blackest black" is really that. Despite being a "thickening" mascara, it does a better job lengthening, which is why I give it an overall rating of 4. However, it is buildable without getting clumpy. I wish the brush bristles were closer together. I've had no issues with transfer, even if I'm crying my eyes out, but I don't wear mascara on my bottom lashes. Overall: good performance at a great value.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2011 1:41:00 PM More reviews by larabean

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great mascara! its does what i want a mascara to do in terms of volume and length and doenst smudge or flake. i still prefer maybelline full n soft WATERPROOF but i havnt been able to find that lately so this is a great substitute for it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2011 8:17:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

Got this at a ridiculously low price ($.19 for 2 pack) so I figured I had nothing to lose trying it out. At first I was very impressed with it because it gave my lashes volume just like my HG mascara (CGLBV). It was a bit hard to layer (is that why they call it one-coat?) but I wore 2 coats regardless. It didn't smudge or flake, but I noticed that it didn't hold a curl AT ALL. My lashes were just about straight by the end of the day. That's a huge pet-peeve of mine, so it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I'll continue to use this on my bottom lashes, but not sure I'll go back to it for the top ones.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 10:58:00 AM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I picked this up when I was experiencing a lot of lash loss and breakage due to a previous mascara. Almay is always touted as a gentle mascara so I thought it would be good to use while my lashes recovered. The brush is similar to Maybelline Great Lash (which I hate) so I didn't expect much drama or volume from it. The color is dark black but goes on lightly; One Coat is not a good name for this mascara unless you want a very natural look. I use 2-3 coats and still don't get a big effect unless I do a lot of curling before. This said, it does last all day without flaking or smudging but even this non-waterproof version is a pain to get off- I have to use 2-3 cotton pads with eye makeup remover (my normal Neutrogena Oil-Free) before the shower and then another 1-2 after the shower (which I never do with other mascaras). Doesn't damage my lashes but also doesn't provide the look I like. Removal is too intense to make me want to rebuy.