April 17, 2014 | 1925 users online

Hair - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchase unrefined shea butter from a company that imports from Ghana. It arrives in a big solid chunk that I cut into small pieces and whip with beaters until creamy and smooth. It does re-harden, but never to as hard as it originally was. It's much easier to work with this way. I scoop up a bit, warm it in my hands and apply it to blemishes, lips, eye area and anything else I feel "needs" it at the moment. Since I began using this, I don't need anything else for acne blemishes. This heals them up in no time and usually doesn't let them surface at all. Best of all, it doesn't dry them. As a lip moisturizer, it just can't be beat. Sometimes I'll mix it with any oil I have lying around and it feels amazing. I use it an eye cream morning and night. I'm 30 yrs old and I have zero wrinkles and honestly no signs of them in sight. At first, I tried using this as a night-time moisturizer, but it's honestly just too heavy and rich. If my skin is feeling parched, I'll sometimes use it in this manner, but not often. I also use a tiny bit in my hair at times and on dry areas on my body. It's just a great multi-purpose product that I could never be without!

EDIT 12/18/09: I had to stop using this so often because it seemed to be giving me a rash on my face and neck. I still believe this is an incredible multi-purpose product, but my rosacea does not agree with it.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2009 10:40:00 AM More reviews by sunshine824

I keep trying shea butter, but it just doesn't do anything for my skin or hair. :-(

I have a relative who uses nothing but Dove soap and pure shea butter and her skin and hair just GLOWS! But on me it just sits on top of my skin, greasy. After about an hour or so, it rubs off and I'm left with dry skin. On my hair it has a similar greasy but dry effect. It makes my curls stringy at first, then they curl up tighter. By the end of they day my hair is dry, greasy, an tangled no matter how little or much I use.

I've used shea butter alone and mixed with various substances(lotions for skin, conditioners for hair, olive oil, coconut oil, etc). I've used the yellow kind and the white(softer) kind. None of it seems to work for me.

I voted that I wouldn't repurchase but I have several times trying to make it work for me. But I'm finally giving up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2009 11:08:00 AM More reviews by pinkydinkydo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Shea butter is the best kept cosmetic secret! It's in a lot of expensive moisturizers, etc., but by itself, it can't be topped. I have used both refined and unrefined, whipped and not whipped. For a good cleanser, I combine it with a few drops of argan oil and a few drops of glycerine. Perfect. Get off any kind of mascara, makeup, etc. Just wash it off with a wet washcloth. And for moisturizing, I just use the shea butter with a few drops of glycerine and my skin is smooth and hydrated. I put a little bit on before taking a shower, and then after my shower, I just put some (commercial) moisturizer on over it, and then my makeup. Perfect. People are always asking me what kind of skincare I use. haha. When I tell them pure unrefined Shea Butter, they don't want to believe me. They want to go out and spend $100 plus on Estee Lauder, Shiseido, La Mer, etc. For the rest of my body, I just use Marula Oil - a light oil with a lot of good stuff in it, and soaks into my skin pretty quickly. And that's about as "natural" as I can get!!!! For my hair, I put shea butter on the ends, because my hair has color on it and the ends tend to dry out a little bit between touch-ups. Never fails to perk up my hair, though!!! A good combination for hair after shampooing is a smidge of shea butter with a smidge of Argan Oil. Shines, conditions, hair looks great.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2009 7:44:00 AM More reviews by sblee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I cannot live without my shea butter! I use it for my hair on a regular basis and my skin on occasion. Do yourself a favor and get some real unrefined shea from an African vendor in your town. Or buy online. I have purchased from Afrikan republic on their website. Shea butter varies in color and consistency based on where it's harvested from. I personally avoid any refined, overprocessed shea.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2009 4:27:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

I love shea butter! I use it both for my skin and hair needs. It makes an excellent seal for ends and makes my skin soft. You can make your own treatments by mixing in essential oils and other oils like almond, avocado, or apricot to get the consistency you want. I buy mine at my local healthfood market for less than six bucks.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 3:39:00 AM More reviews by malika

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a must have. Never thought to wihip the shea butter but I will do that for easier application. This will heal dry and cracked skin (feet and heels) while giving your body an overall amazing glow. I usually apply after evening shower/scrub because I find it too heavy for the day. Your sheets will have to be changed often- if you are like me and love crisp sheets because they may feel waxy. The initial smell is awful but it does fade and doesn't interfere with your fragrances.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 3:36:00 AM More reviews by GardeniaDreamsTuberose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My shea butter I buy from a german Apotheken that sells online delivery accross Europe. Since this is not sold where I live. Is great product lovely for skin and hair. You you use it as is and blend it with other things.Leaves skin very soft. Is a product I buy often. Gives hair great shine and softness add a drop of your favorite essential oil to a little dab of shea butter on your hands run through hair and brush it.
Wonderful shine and fragrant hair.Treat your dry feet hands elbows to some shea butter.Enjoy!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2009 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Ketchup38

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Great all purpose stuff

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2009 7:37:00 AM More reviews by eiffadea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

i have very very dry skin especially my hands and my legs..i've tried everything under the sun and nothing can ever keep me moisturized after long hours..i used to have to bring along my lotion in my purse and keep applying lotion on my skin to keep them from scaling which is a horrible sight especially if i'm wearing a dress..i purchased unrefined shea butter from www.coastalscents.com..it has a very earthy scent to it due to its purest form..it's very creamy and sometimes i feel like it's grainy..but no big deal cz as you warm it up in between ur hands,it forms a really nice buttery,creamy texture and can be easily applied onto your skin..tell u what,no more scaly dry skin and no more carrying my hand lotion every where with me cz this little guy keeps me moisturized from am to pm without needing to reapply at all even though i often wash my hand..the moisture takes a while to sink into your skin but once its in,it stay there..not like other lotions or cream which are mostly water based as their 1st ingredient in their ingredient lists is water/aqua..i especially use it for my body..have not yet try it on my hair or my face..will update soon..but for now,this is a keeper..=)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2009 5:53:00 AM More reviews by Cherub573

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this is a miracle product. I know this is under the "Hair" section, but I use it on my skin. I originally got it to help combat my dry feet and hands after moving to Denver. I got mine off of ebay for less than $20 for 16 oz. It is raw, unscented, and reminds me of yellow Play-Doh in consistency.

I've been using it for about 6 months now, though I only started using it on my face about a month ago. I would put it around my eyes and on my lips, but was worried about putting it on the rest of my skin because I am already so oily and acne-prone. Several weeks ago during midterms, I broke out badly due to the stress. I felt I had nothing to lose at that point- my skin already looked so horrible I avoided going out in public (disfiguring cysts). I started using it at night, it's still too sticky and greasy looking to wear out during the day, BUT it didn't make me break out! I've been using it consistently ever since and the old blemishes healed and no new ones have shown up (and I'm right in the middle of finals now).

I am not sure, but it also feels like my skin does not get quite as shiny during the day. It's worked great everywhere I've used it, and I love that it's natural and so affordable.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No