September 23, 2014 | 2065 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2013 7:04:00 AM More reviews by KCucumber

This product did not work for me. In fact, it caused my skin to develop a horrible, burning rash. I am certain it was this product which caused the reaction as the only location on my skin which was effected was the area which I applied the product (under the eyes).

I have attempted to use this product on three separate occasions (three separate years) and I have had a similar result each time. I was using it to soften the deep wrinkles I have under my eyes.

The last time I started this product was about a month ago. I started using a very small amount (about the quarter of a pea) under my eyes each evening. I would wash my face with mild cleanser (can't recall the name), wait 30 minutes then apply the retin a. After about 30 minutes I would apply organic coconut oil. For the first two weeks I only experienced some dryness, but now the skin under my eyes is incredibly sore, raw, peeling, and incredibly unsightly (see attached photo). I have been applying hydrocortosone cream in hopes of clearing this mess up, as I'm mortified to leave the house as I look like a red-eyed panda.

I'm done with this stuff! (can't say I didn't try!)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 11:18:00 AM More reviews by justinetindall

I've been using this for about 3 years now. It is hands down the most effective anti-aging, anti-dark spot, ant-whatever skin flaw you may have. It's also the only thing that has actually helped with my acne. The only thing about retinal is that you HAVE to give it ATLEAST 6 months until you start seeing tremendous results for fine lines. It helped with acne right away. What it does is constantly speeds up cell turnover for your skin, so it is constantly buffing it and exfoliating it, speeding up collagen and the natural heeling process of skin.
My skin literally looks like a baby's bum. People comment on my skin DAILY, and have for the past 3 years since I started using it. I still get surprised when people comment on my skin, because I used to have horrible acne.
Beware that this does cause 1/month peeling- it's a good thing, trust me.
You MUST wear sunscreen daily with retinol, and ALWAYS moisturize after applying a thin layer.
And a lil secret- it works wonders on ingrown hairs... my bikini area is friggen flawless, kinda proud of that.
It runs for about $35 per prescribed tube (here in Ontario at least), and should last at leas 8 months if used correctly.
Screw all the other anti aging creams. It's all hype.
Prescribed retinal is the real deal.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by HairWaves

I used this product at the height of my acne problems and I did not find it effective at all. Like most acne medications, it also makes your skin very sensitive to the sun.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by reyna1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used the generic version(tretinoin). Was very inexpensive($5 copay) I really wanted this product to work, but I used it for almost 3 months and I gave up. I was in denial for a while and told myself that my skin was getting better, but it wasn't. I'm broken out now than when I started. I know you're supposed to give it 6 months to see final results, but really, 6 months? Now I know no acne product works over night, but there's plenty that work so much faster! Why go through the months of endless purging and horrible skin? If you're using this for anti-aging purposes, then go for it. However if you're going to be using this for acne I'd stay clear. The only thing I can say is that it smoothed out the texture of my skin. I don't know if it would of worked in the long run, as it did somewhat clear some breakouts, but with every one it cleared, 2 more came. Just, not for me. If you're patient and determined to use this product then go for it, but be prepared to purge like no other. I don't want to dishearten anyone, but I think waiting 6 months and going through persistent purging all throughout isn't worth it. Unless you've tried every other product for acne, then to each is own. I'm currently on DUAC and it seems to already working, with NO PURGING. Not all acne products purge, just some. However with Retin A, it's almost a 90% you will purge. Duac has great reviews and I'm hoping my face will be cleared within 1-2 months. For reference I have no acne on my t-zone and forehead. A few on my left cheek, but moderate on my right. I wish you all the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by dileqce

This cream is a miracle. It's corrected my skin tone and texture within 3 weeks. I had some acne scarring and fine lines. My scars are almost gone and fine lines are less visible. But I need to say you have to be really careful if you purchased this product without prescription. You might damage your skin severely. Here is my routine for Retin-A. I've started to use 0.5 twice a week first and gradually increased to 3 times a week and now I am using it daily. It's been 6 weeks now and I will quit using it within 2 weeks cos summer is on the way.First I wash my face with organic olive oil soap and then wait half an hour and apply Retin-A before I go to bed. I don't apply moisturizer. I use a external usage dexpantenol cream called Bepanthene which is available here in Turkey. Bepanthene is an external cream normally used for sunburns and this kind of small dryness skin problems but I like to use it as moisturizer cos it has healing affect. Probably that's why I didn't feel that much of flakiness and dryness while I am on Retin-A. I also avoid sun during daytime. If I have to go out I apply Origins Dr. Weil's Mega Bright UV Protector SPF 40. It's good to add an antioxidant serum to your daily routine. I just ordered Replenix Serum to give a try.But try to avoid heavy vitamin C serums if you have sensitive skin when you are using Retin-A. Cos my skin basically couldn't tolerate it. That's it from my side. I will continue to use Retin-A during winter. Don't forget Retin-A can be dangerous weapon on wrong hands.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 8:11:00 AM More reviews by marisaew1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think anyone and everyone should use retin a. BF's brother in law is a dermatologist and even he uses it. BF is 43, I am 33, mom is 58, we all use it! First eight weeks can be rough, but stick with it, you'll be so glad you did. Retinol is the only thing clinically and FDA approved for wrinkles.

I've been using it for three years and constantly get compliments on my skin. I also accredit that to two doses of accutane years ago. I use the lower strength and only a pea size. Any more will just cause dryness and not work any better. I also use it under my eyes. Love.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Solarislun

I'm 30 years old and I never really got acne until I was around 25. It got pretty bad on just the one side of my face. I tried Retin-A a few years back but I didn't use it like I should have. I've been using it this time for like 2.5 months. I started out using it every other evening and recently switched to every evening. I'm using it with Cetaphil sensitive cleanser and the lotion that can be used on face and body. My skin looks so much better!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Edzwanie

the best treatment for any skin type. i used to take roaccutane to treat my skin, and it lasted only for 2 months as it caused severe dryness to my skin. i stopped, and changed my skincare routine. i use clinique anti-blemish range and retin A at night only. give it 2 weeks and u will see a lot of difference in your skin. and now im currently in the search for the best treatment to treat acne scars !

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by MarjaWouters

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

for me: a holy grail which I found out about during my thirties, advices by a dermatologist where I went to cause of my acne returning. He then told me that if I ever got concerns about aging, to think back and start using this ingredient.

it works much better than Retinol over the counter products for me.

I started slowly, twice a week, and was able to build this up to every night.

took time but after 8 months of continuous use there is a huge difference, and noticeable to others but myself, in the quality of my skin.

can't say it took 10 years of, which product can do that anyway?!, but my skin is super smooth, smoother than ever.

for the consistency of my skin it doesn't do that much, so still on the lookout for a holy grale in that department. Tips very welcome!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Luvxsweets

I have really terrible seasonal acne. My skin is fine throughout the rest of the year, but ever since last year once the weather gets warmer, my skin immediately freaks out. I also have really bad seasonal allergies so I'm assuming my skin going crazy is a reaction to the weather.

Regardless, when it happened for the first time last year I was terrified. I had already started getting more than a couple pimples at a time and they took longer to heal which was unusual for my skin. As the weather got warmer it progressively got worse and worse. Then I woke up one day to thousands of tiny tiny flesh coloured bumps EVERYWHERE! This was in combination to the already occurring acne. It was atrocious, like I had some type of skin disease! For the first time in my life I didn't want to leave my house because of my skin.I went to the dermatologist soon after.

The dermatologist barley looked at my skin. (the whole appointment lasted less than five minutes!) She said it would seem I had some allergic reaction. Before that however she said my skin wasn't eve bad (O_o?!) and that I didn't have much to worry about. She tried to prescribe my benzoyl peroxide but I had a bad experience with that in the past so I declined. She then moved on to generic treatment number two : Retin A gel. She wrote me a prescription, gave me some samples, and walked me off in a rather routinely, automatic motion.

I started with 0.01%; used that for 6 weeks and it did nothing but break me out. I used it exactly as instructed; only in the night. In the morning I used a cleanser (spectro), moisturizer (cetaphil) , and a sunscreen (first neutrogina spf 70 then la roche posayspf 60) all prescribed by her. The tiny bumps remained as well as the acne. I also started to get white heads everywhere and bigger bumps. I never experienced flaking. I went back to her after and she gave me a stronger dosage.

She gave me 0.05%. Again I used it exactly as instructed. Again I saw no improvement and it made my already oily skin even more oily! I also still never experienced flaking. I used this for about 10 weeks. I took little "skin vlogs" to track my progress-or lack there of-with retin A. Near the end I stopped wearing sunscreen and my face cleared up significantly but was still bad. After doing more research on retin a and the harmful effects I opted to search for something more natural and stopped using it. Again my skin cleared up.

The worst thing about my whole retin A experience was how sensitive it made my skin. Even now a year later my skin is very sensitive and reacts with a lot of different products. My skin was NEVER this way before Retin A. I could use WHATEVER on my skin, treat it anyhow, use any type of cheap makeup, and I never had a problem. Also retin A has left me with multiple dark spots all over my face which still have not healed. (this was another reason a decided to stop using it. I figured why continue to use it even if it might get rid of my acne when I'll be left with all these spots).

I realize this "seems" to work for a lot of people but it DOESN'T work for everyone. Furthermore consider the side effects such as dark spots and sensitive skin before you attempt to try it. Personally I wouldn't recommend retin A because in the long run its not good for your skin. It doesn't treat the acne or stop if from occurring, it simply encourages the regeneration of skin cells so your skin can continue to produce new skin. This will make you dependent on the product and who wants to have to apply a gel this way for the rest of you life. Also, forcing you skin to renew itself and rapidly shed and create new layers of skin damages the skin overtime. The skin wasn't made to turn over this quickly.

I know this was a long review but I wanted to make sure it was very detailed because these types of reviews have helped me the most :)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No