December 20, 2014 | 1703 users online

Liquid - Kanebo - Sensai Fluid Finish foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2010 9:52:00 PM More reviews by OsGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I LOVE this foundation.

I am a dedicated user of Guerlain Parure Extreme which is also a great foundation, but perhaps a touch too red for me. Also the finish is gorgeous but maybe a little too much so. I feel quite made up for every day wear. Lovely out at night, but during working hours the finish is a *little* too perfect.

This foundation is a gorgeous lightweight, watery formulation that has a deceptively high amount of coverage. I wouldn't say that this is full coverage, but definitely medium and it can be built up to even more for special occasions. On top of that - it doesn't feel like you have ANYTHING on. My skin is dry and flaky from retinoid use (Taz), but this hydrates and covers as best as any foundation I have found. On top of all of that, the color match is the best I have ever found. I use shade 204 - Almond Beige - and it perfectly suits me. I have golden/olive medium toned skin (around NC 37 in darkness). Other foundations I use for reference - Guerlain 04, Chanel Wheat, Armani LSF 7, Chantecaille Shea, Nars Sheer Glow Barcelona, Shu Uemura 734, Colorstay Photoready 006. I believe that 204.5 is around the same "strength" in shade but is a lot more yellow if you are looking for a yellow based foundation.

I've worn this foundation for 8 hours now and it still looks great! I didn't even wear a primer although I'm really looking forward to trying their Water Smoothing Make-Up Base. I did put a light coat of MUFE HD powder on top.

Cons - Kind of pricey, but honestly, its $5 cheaper than Guerlain Parure Extreme so I can't complain. Other than that, it's incredibly hard to find if you are in the States. It's pretty much sold exclusively at Bergorf Goodman's. I don't live anywhere near there though, so I called them and related to them my shades in other foundations and the ladies very very kindly sent me a sample of 3 different shades that they thought might suit me. For free! Now that's customer service! They sent me a very generous sample of each - enough to last me at least 1 week. I have just used up my sample and will now be ordered the full sized bottle from them.

Love this foundation!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2010 7:09:00 AM More reviews by wanos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very dry and sensitive skin and so far this is the best foundation. Finding the perfect foundation was always a kind of quest for me. But now I think I find the perfect one.
Of course I have to moisturize and exfoliate my skin before it because of the dry skin. But then it glides like really a silk or water, nothing heavy about it. Despite it's really light it provides a very good coverage. It covers beautifully my face. I used Chanel Teint Innocene before, it was good but not good enough like this.
The colour is perfect for me, it's natural beige.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 5:44:00 PM More reviews by rokokko

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a very good product, I would recommend it to anyone who doesent need a heavy coverage and I believe it could suit all skintypes. Really light and a beautiful silky finish. I only wish they had a better selection og colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2009 6:18:00 AM More reviews by gabzina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Somewhat stupidly, I bought this product off the internet based on very questionable swatches (ie the soft ivory shade looked like camel hide to me)...however, for once in my life, my stupidity paid off! I have fairly pale skin (blamed on vegetarianism, fear of the sun and my mum's irish family) and the soft ivory shade was great for me. The foundation is light, easy to blend and doesn't dry out my skin like a lot of other foundations I've used. The price is also fairly reasonable as the product works brilliantly and you don't need to smother your face in it to see great results. Deffo my HG...for now!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2009 6:26:00 PM More reviews by mu46032

I bought Sensai Fluid Finish based on the great reviews. I ordered #202 Soft Beige from Barneys. The shade is a bit too light for my summer skin. I am LM Nude, Sisley Soft Beige (Its hard to find good swatches online.)

This is an ordinary foundation - nothing special. I don't think it made my skin look great, nor did it really accentuate any bad skin. It felt heavy as I wore it throughout the day. I think the most disappointing thing about this foundation is that the second or third ingredient is mineral oil! I bought it because it sounded so healthy and good for your skin. Its described as a "water-based" foundation online. My skin loves oil-based cleansers, not oil-based foundations. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 3:13:00 PM More reviews by MsMarley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

lovely. the easiest foundaton to apply and wear. pretty much perfect, and my HG. get it cheap on ebay!
since getting this a couple weeks ago i've had so many comments on my skin looking glowing etc, this stuff is the muts nuts! even better than my beloved paul and joe. never thought i would see the day my p&j would be relegated to the 'reserve' make up bag...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2009 11:31:00 AM More reviews by janicem10

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

5++++++ - I have tried so many foundations that I cannot even list them - from $8 to $150 - This foundation is the BEST - lightweight, moisturizing, and makes your skin look perfect. I have enlarged pores and it almost makes them invisible. I have finally found my HG - no more searching for me! You can purchase on ecosmeticworld - service is very prompt. $50 is expensive, but it is worth every penny!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2009 11:31:00 AM More reviews by Nemea

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think I've finally found IT. Ah, well, at least for now. This foundation is close to perfection, and I even managed to find a colour match for my obviously tricky skintone, which is not quite yellow, definitely not cooltoned, maybe a hint of olive, and which has a bit of beige to it. I chose the TF203 natural beige, which is very close match. I like the finish of this foundation; Your skin but better. The coverage is medium/light, but buildable, and it doesn't dry so quickly that blending is impossible (Diorshow Nude, anyone?) Also, it doesn't irritate or dry out my dryish skin, doesn't oxidise, which may sometimes happen with me, due to heavy-duty SS usage. So I'm really happy. I also suspect it will last me really long, because one pump is all I need in order to cover everything. Sorry, Helena Rubinstein. We had a nice relationship while it lasted, but now, I've moved on, and found a new love. *edit0410* This is definitely perfection in a bottle. Not that I won't ever test other foundations, but this one never lets me down, no matter the condition of my skin (dry, flaky, easily sensitised).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2009 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Roxlet

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Back in January, I remember reading about this foundation on Blogdorfgoodman.com. It was listed in the top 10 of products of the year, and it made me really want to try it. I searched the web and I searched every high-end department store web site to no avail. It was supposed to be at Saks, so I stopped in at one not too far away, but they didn't carry it in that branch. I had recently purchased the new Dior foundation, which I really love as well, so my interest eased off. Then last week, I was browsing the Barney's web site, and they finally had it on line. There were only three shades available (I don't know how many this foundational actually comes in), so I took a chance on the warm beige color. Today was the first day I tried it, and I have to say that it is everything I thought it would be and more. My skin looks really fresh and dewy, and though the coverage is pretty good, it does not look unnatural or cakey at all. This may be the HG foundation that I have been looking for. I am considering tossing my Armani foundation, which doesn't look nearly as good and which tends to make my face look really oily. I have loved the Carmindy foundation, but the Sensai has a similar coverage with a much lighter look.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2009 10:43:00 AM More reviews by Ljana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing foundation! Actually, this is exactly what I've been looking for throughout my ten-year-long foundation hunt. Sure, I've tried many great foundations, but sooner or later they would all fall short in one aspect or another. This does not.
I would describe this as a medium to full coverage fdn, and if used sparingly, it could also give you light, barely there coverage. For me, one pump is enough for medium, natural coverage (everyday use), and 1.5 for full, perfectly made-up look (special occasions). Now I don't have any acne or other natural skin imperfections, but I do have some old hypertrophic scars on my right cheek from a car accident, and a bit of mild redness around my nose. This covers them very well. The consistency is great, not really runny, but not thick or gunky either. It goes on smooth, it's very easy to blend and apply, in fact it blends so well that I can use my fingers and don't have to bother with brushes, sponges etc. The finish is literally natural - it's what my skin looks like when it's not dehydrated, on my normal skin days. It's not really dewy (less so than Chanel's Teint Innocence for example), but it's not unnaturally matte. The best part is that it doesn't feel tight on my dry skin, which was an issue with many other foundations, like CD Forever and Revlon Colorstay. It is not oil-free though, so maybe it would disagree with oilier skin types. I have not experienced any discomfort, irritations or redness with this.
The packaging is simple and practical, a sturdy glass bottle with a pump and a black top.
The price in Europe is about 40-45 EUR, about the same as other h/e stuff like Chanel or Dior. The best investment I made in a long while, definitely HG material. I will repurchase and will also consider getting The Smoothing Water Make-up Base, a complementary product from the same line, although this works perfectly on its own.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it comes with SPF 15. It's not fragrance-free, but the scent is almost imperceptible, and once I put it on I can't smell anything.
The shade I use is #202 Soft Beige - a perfect match. I'm Buff in Revlon CS, 1.0-1.5 Chanel, and I guess I'd be about NW 15-20 in MAC, but since it's not available in my country I can't really be sure.
EDITED 08/09/09: I am now on my second bottle of this and I'm convinced this is one of the best, if not the best, foundation on the market. The first bottle lasted me about 4 months with everyday usage. Considering how long it lasts, it's really not that expensive. This is now officially my HG foundation!
EDITED January 24th, 2012. KANEBO SENSAI FLUID FINISH LASTING VELVET REVIEW: Kanebo has added another foundation to their lineup called Kanebo Sensai Fluid Finish Lasting Velvet. Since I can't find a way to start a new product thread, I thought I'd add a few lines about that one here. The new one is supposed to give a semi-matte (that's what 'velvet' actually means) finish and is - obviously - meant to be long-lasting. And it is - this lasts about 8-9 hours on me; however, I have not tested it in any extreme weather conditions. Compared to the original, this is more matte and more durable, but not as comfortable and hydrating and certainly not dewy, so would probably be more suitable for combination and oilier skin. The finish is not a dead, flat matte (think Revlon Colorstay, CD Forever), but rather a semi-matte, silky, subtly luminous one. The coverage is about the same as in the original formula - a solid medium, which can be built up to almost full in problem areas without looking cakey. It manages not to be drying (in fact I find it more hydrating than many foundations touted as such - e.g. Dior Nude), but my dry skin prefers the dewiness of the original. If you found the first one too dewy and moisturizing, this should work wonderfully. However, a word of caution: if you've already found your match in the original, DO NOT order this online before swatching in person; the shades in the Velvet formula run a bit darker and a lot peachier for some reason, so the original's beautifully neutral #202 Soft Beige turns out a medium peachy shade in Velvet. You should probably go a shade lighter for Velvet, but it's always best to sample in person. Personally I went back to the original for winter and I'm still using and loving it as much as ever. I've tried a lot of foundations since (including Sisley's famous Phyto Teint Eclat, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Guerlain Lingerie and Parure Aqua etc) but I have yet to find a better foundation for my skin and its needs. I will, however, keep my Lasting Velvet for summer; when I get a bit of a tan the shade will be acceptable and I won't need such a moisturizing formula. In a nutshell, Kanebo Sensai impresses once again. In my opinion, very few foundations out there can compete with theirs in terms of formula and quality. The packaging and the marketing might not be as fancy and elegant as Dior's or Chanel's, but the products inside are truly what luxury makeup should be.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No