December 21, 2014 | 1837 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Exceptionnel

rated 2 of 5 on 11/9/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by ClarityRose

The brush is a novel concept--different sized bristles to catch both short and long lashes. However, it's a dud. Since the bristles are tightly packed, there's a lot more surface for the mascara to stick to, which basically creates a brush-full of mascara. And. you. can't. scrape. it. off.

The result? Lot of clumps. lots of excess, lots of wasted product. The product itself, while it has good staying power, takes a long time to dry, isn't buildable (unless you want to build your clumps), and smears everywhere when wet! t seems to be of an extremely liquidy consistency. Baaah!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2009 1:51:00 AM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Very, very disappointed with this mascara. I usually like the results they produce for my lashes but sorry Chanel but this is a real dud.

First off, the rubber brush - I mostly hate these brushes, all they do is produce stupid looking doll like lashes that don't look real. One ends up with trashy looking lashes. After applying the mascara this morning, I ended up having to use a lash comb to remove most of the mascara from the end of my lashes because I hated how much they looked. They looked clumped and sticky.

Does it lengthen? Not much
Does it thicken? Yes, in a clumpy, applied my makeup in the dark sort of way.

The shade? I use black but I even hate the shade of black, it looks wrong with my coloring. Does it have some blue in it?

Chanel, please drop the gimmicky rubber brush, I want fluttery, long, beautiful lashes not Katie Price 'get'em out for the boys' ones.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2009 10:06:00 PM More reviews by CazT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the cute packaging of this mascara, however the product overall was very disappointing for me. I tend to get clumpy lashes and it takes quite a while to dry! There are other great Chanel mascaras out there, so I would reccomend trying those ones!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2009 11:28:00 AM More reviews by wawagugugaga

This is really quite a disappointment coming from Chanel. I have used about 4 to 5 different mascaras from them and Exceptionnel is no doubt the worst. I got a sample through Allure and was excited to try it. Exceptionnel promises 'VOLUMIZING, CURLING and LASTING', but it really does none of the above for me. The uniquely-design brush is just plain awful. There are the regular long bristles and the short hard tips. It is very hard to apply the mascara evenly and I cannot get the mascara to reach the root of the lashes without poking the bristle into my eyes. It also clumps like crazy and it starts to smudge within the hour of application.
I am glad I got a sample of this and do not have to waste my money on this awful product. It is not cheap (USD 30)...ladies..just save your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 6:34:00 AM More reviews by LoveChanel1987

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got the Chanel Exceptionnel 2 days ago and started using it. I use it together with the Chanel Intimitable mascara, this lengthens and separates the lashes and adds more volume. What I love about both mascaras is that they don't smudge and it lasts a whole day without re-applying!

Love Chanel xo xo

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2009 4:16:00 PM More reviews by dogdaze

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I received the Allure sample and purchased a fullsize. I will not repurchase. Although this is a good volumizing mascara, it is not as good as Maybelline Colossal, and it does not lengthen at all. The other issue is that it seemed to dry up very quickly. I paid $30 for this and it's nothing you can't find in a drugstore mascara. I frequently find that Samples seem to be a better quality than the actual fullsize product. I am about to throw this out since it's so dry already (have had for only a month).

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by Dinlove

Chanel's Inimitable mascara is one of my splurgy favorites, so I thought I'd give Exceptionnel a try (especially given the generally positive reviews I'd found on the web). What a disappointment! While I loved the super, super, SUPER black color, curl, and lift it gave, the brush was an absolute nightmare to use. I consider myself a mascara pro and no brush has even come close to being the pain in the butt that this one is. It has two kinds of bristles: the standard, brush-like ones, and the little plastic comb-like "teeth" ones. Great idea in theory. In practice? Notsomuch.

You have to use a rolling motion so your lashes come in contact with both kinds of bristles, which is both time-consuming and doesn't get much product on the lashes. Plus it didn't really "grab" my lashes so much as it did "push them up" while leaving a little mascara on them in the process.

I expressed my frustration with the application technique to the sales lady (who had a BIG, unfriendly, unhelpful attitude), and she said "Well, it takes some practice." Practice? At THAT price? For $28, I expect a mascara that can practically jump out of the tube and apply itself . . . then give me a backrub.

Going back to my current fave, DiorShow Blackout, for now.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2009 8:46:00 AM More reviews by barbiebien

i loved this mascara, the effects were great, even better than YSL faux cills but i'm extremely allergic to this

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by nickitraylor

I actually reviewed this for Allure- they sent me a sample and had me report on it. I didn't like it at all. I thought the lash building capabilites were not good, it was no better than a cheap drugstore brand. Not impressed at all- and it's super expensive! I like my colossal lash much better...in fact, I like every drugstore brand I've ever tried better than this mascara for this price!!! There was nothing wow about this- except again for the price, LOL.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2009 9:22:00 AM More reviews by MissHiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this product. The formulation is ok, it doesn't run, it slightly lifts up the lashes and doesn’t cause allergy but then again neither do a lot of cheaper reputable brands. To be honest this is a very ORDINARY mascara by all counts and I would not purchase it again.

I just opened my old favourite Maybelline Full 'n Soft waterproof mascara and I have never been happier. It sometimes takes using a mediocre expensive product to make you appreciate your regular product!