October 23, 2014 | 1656 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:32:00 AM More reviews by mpauletteb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I can't believe this product is getting such high reviews. This dye is *ok* in a pinch. It does leave your hair in great condition. But the color is so heavy-handed and dull, the hallmarks of a bad dye-job.
I applied this product and came on this site to read reviews while I waited for it to set. I did it backwards, I know! The reviews that say your hair comes out practically black freaked me out. So I rinsed it after only 10 minutes, and even at that it was darker than I expected. 10 more minutes, it would've been black for sure.
I hesitantly say I'll buy this again, because I know there will be a point in the future when I'll be very broke but need to cover my grey- and colorsilk is fine for that. But I know that if I used it regularly, it'd look like I color my hair with a magic marker.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2011 10:55:00 AM More reviews by lovemylox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I put two coats of this over my platinum waist length hair....about a week apart or so. it might have been more like 2 weeks...can't remember. Well, it has been well over a month since I did this, and you would think that my hair would look faded and brassy, but it doesn't! This stuff is great! It is a beautiful color. My natural hair color is a very dark mousey blonde/brown color. I can barely see my roots. If it wasnt for a silver strand here and there( they are about a centimeter long now) you wouldnt even notice my roots! This is great after having such obvious roots while being platinum blonde. I will put some pics on my profile if you want to see what my hair looked like b4 I dyed dark brown, and how it looks over a month later! I love this stuff!!!!! Yay Colorsilk!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by brownsugarncutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not my first time using Colorsilk. I have used their black brown, light ash brown, and mahogany brown in the past as well as their highlighting kit. They all work very well. I decided to dye my hair this time with the dark brown this time because I wanted to go back to dark brown after having had it light brown for a while. It's been a while since I dyed my hair so it was getting brassy.

I am surprised that the color turned out SO dark. My hair is black right now and it looks darker than when I had dyed it black brown. It doesn't bother me too much since black doesn't look too bad on me since I'm Asian and I wanted my hair to be dark...I just didn't expect it to turn out this dark. lol. This is only the day after I dyed my hair and I expect it to fade a bit after a couple of washes. I will update later.

UPDATE:
Okay, so after a couple of washes, the color has faded significantly and it is no longer really really black. It's more of a black brown color and it looks very natural on me! It's a bit darker than my natural hair color but it looks good. I believe it'll continue to fade as time goes on and maybe it will turn into more of a dark brown. I will update.

UPDATE: 3 months later
So it really hasn't faded that much at all but it is no longer black but more of my natural dark dark brown hair color. It looks very natural and I am happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2011 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Surfaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow guys, I'm really impressed. Wouldn't think I'd be writing a review on hair dye as they all worked pretty same for me, but this stuff is different.
I'm so happy I've followed my intuition and bought this color with pretty girl on the box instead of L'oreal which I always used to.
So. The packaging is actually okay and I didn't experience any difficulties with the gloves. Yes, ketchup thing for the conditioner, but hey, can't we handle that.
Thanks god I've read MUA and followed the instructions - left it for 20 min on the roots and then applied for 5 min onto the rest of the length. About my hair: long, have always colored 3.0 for last years and always turned jet black no matter what the color was on the box/on the palette in the salon. They always were so pretty, but I just turned BLACK.
When you actually apply this stuff and leave it for a while, you can already see it is BROWN ) I was very pleased.
So I wash it off...and it washes off like heaven, after 2 shampooings (average, as I'd do if had no dye on my hair) the towel which I wrapped hair into, didn't stain AT ALL. And! It would be actually fine if I didn't use the conditioner as the hair were soft...which was a very big surprise as my hair suffer from sun and salty water.
The color is brown!!! Really nice deep dark brown, which I always wanted. Man, I'm so happy I didn't come to the salon on time today and the stylist went home, I'd probably sit here jet black again.
Oh, and it smells nice and has no ammonia! Omg, are you kidding me? For 5 dollars?
Will repurchase no doubt, no matter how long it will last.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by greenlima

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

read before coloring your hair! i wish i did! another reviewer on here says the same thing: great product, no smell, nice color, BUT my roots are much lighter than the lower 2/3 of my hair which is black! dont follow the directions. put on roots for 20 min, then on rest of hair for no more than 5-10 minutes. my hair was light, copper brown from past med-brown die job (l'oreal) being lightened by the sun. ill update in 2-3 weeks about sun lightening the color or not and greys coming back or not. ill probably use again for roots. i liked the loose gloves, easy to take off and put one during dye job.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by nicurly

This is not sold in Canada so I had to buy on one of my trips to the US. I really like this! My hair feels so soft and the colour is perfect!! It covered my numerous grays adequately. It is definitley dark brown and not jet black or blue black like so many other d/s hair colour brands. I will buy again in bulk when I am visitng the US again. For reference my hair is what I call soft black normally.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 3:08:00 AM More reviews by tarapickholtz

I'll admit... before reading the reviews on Revon's Colorsilk hair dye, I never even considered it! I guess I saw the very low price and assumed it wouldn't be any good. After reading about it, I was curious and decided to give it a try. It was on sale at my grocery store, so it was even cheaper! I decided on the Dark Brown to darken my medium brown hair. Last time I used a dark brown color, my hair was a pretty harsh black at first! I expected that this might happen, but decided to still give it a try since my last dye job didn't come out as dark as I hoped (it can be hard to know for sure how it will turn out!).

First, I noticed that the gloves definitely were thin. They were made of thin plastic, not stretchy latex or similar material like other box dyes might come with. The other items seemed fine with packaging. Nothing fancy, but it all seemed like typical hair dye products. I mixed it up applied dye from 2 boxes for my longer, chest-length hair. If I hadn't recently thinned out my hair, I might have needed 3 boxes. I actually bought 3, so I had an extra to save for next time. The dye consistency was average like others I have used. I did manage to make a bit of a mess around me, but that can be typical for any at-home dye.

I noticed that the scent was MUCH less strong compared to other brands I have used. This is a big plus! I am migraine-prone and strong scents can bother me. Last time I used Garnier Fructisse and even though it has the fruit extract scent, it was still considerably stronger than this one. Clairol Perfect 10 was pretty strong too. Actually, even the semi-permanent ones I've used were stronger! This had a light floral scent and didn't have an overpowering chemical scent. In the past, I tend to feel sick from the lingering scent even after washing my hair, because it tends to be there for the first couple of washes. My freshly dyed hair smells like I used a floral shampoo or something and not at all like dye! Awesome :)

I rinsed it out and used the conditioner and my hair feels pretty soft and nice too! I didn't blow dry it and let it air dry, but it definitely feels nice and healthy. The color looks wonderful! It looks just like the box. I didn't get a harsh black color, but a nice rich dark brown that's just below black. I really love how it turned out!

My only negative thing is that the thin gloves actually resulted in my hands being dyed in a few places! I used a pumice stone to scrub those areas (I am sure there are better ways to remove it!) and it's fine now, but I'll definitely double up on gloves next time or buy my own.

I spent about $5 and have great-looking hair! I am very pleased with the results and would definitely repurchase. Since I plan to keep my hair darker for a while, I'll be sticking with this Dark Brown color. I tend to go to the salon for highlights and lightening, but I'll definitely be sure to buy this brand for keeping my hair dark at home. Saves me money AND looks great, without a strong smell! The conditioner was very nice too! I'll be curious to see how it lasts, but even if it were to fade quickly, at least it's very inexpensive to buy again. If you are considering this brand of dye for a dark brown color, definitely give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by prweiss65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE******
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING THIS COLOR!!! THE DAY AFTER I USED THIS, I LOOKED AT MY HAIR IN THE DAYLIGHT AND IT WAS BLACK.....REALLY BLACK! The instructions are NOT clear. IF YOU have EVER colored your hair -- as in getting it salon colored -- do not leave it on the full head for the full amount of time!!!!! ONLY do the roots for the 20 minutes, then pull thru for 5 minutes. Had I known this I could have avoided a lot of heartache for the past three weeks. I have black hair now, and short of stripping it and damaging it, I will have black hair for a very loooooong time. Still think the product is awesome, my hair condition is great, but the color is just totally wrong due to improper use.

I've been brainwashed/snowed for the past two years by my salon with their hoity toity salon color "INOA by Loreal" .....paying $80 dollars plus tip, just for a root touch up (no haircut or blow dry,) every 6 weeks. Supposedly, the "Inoa" was making my hair "healthier" with every visit....because of the lack of ammonia. Well, that was a load of bull crap.

So I read the reviews on here, and took the plunge with Dark Brown Colorsilk. All I can say is: YIPPEE! I can't believe how absolutely amazingly terrific this product is! I am literally blown away by the high-quality results I got from this hair color . No bad smell. Leaves hair in great condition. Ammonia free. Easy to apply. No fading. Perfect Color without any brassy red. I paid 4 bucks.

I can finally tell my salon to suck it! -- I'm never ever going to spend 80 bucks for someone to color my roots again. I may go in for a few strands of lighter highlights around my face in the summer, but I'll be coloring myself from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by memorgan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow! I started coloring my hair at 18, for the fun of it. Now at 45, it is a necessity due to an abundance of gray. I have tried EVERY drugstore and beauty supply color over the years with mixed results. I have naturally dark brown hair, and this color is my color but better. Completely covers gray, doesn't fade, is multi-dimentional, gentle, just rich and beautiful results. I just can't believe it. I have been looking for these results for years, never imagining they could come from cheap Colorsilk. I was always afraid to try it. I can't recommend it enough. Again, wow!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use Revlon Colorsilk a lot. I think I'll stick with Medium Browns from now on because this looks VERY dark on my pale skin. It's a very close match to my natural hair color though, which is what I was going for so that I can grow my hair out w/o having to color it every 4 weeks

O nm about the color being too dark! I haven't died my hair in over a month and it matches my roots perfectly, so I guess this was my original color (I haven't seen it for a while lol)