July 31, 2014 | 1984 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2011 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Surfaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow guys, I'm really impressed. Wouldn't think I'd be writing a review on hair dye as they all worked pretty same for me, but this stuff is different.
I'm so happy I've followed my intuition and bought this color with pretty girl on the box instead of L'oreal which I always used to.
So. The packaging is actually okay and I didn't experience any difficulties with the gloves. Yes, ketchup thing for the conditioner, but hey, can't we handle that.
Thanks god I've read MUA and followed the instructions - left it for 20 min on the roots and then applied for 5 min onto the rest of the length. About my hair: long, have always colored 3.0 for last years and always turned jet black no matter what the color was on the box/on the palette in the salon. They always were so pretty, but I just turned BLACK.
When you actually apply this stuff and leave it for a while, you can already see it is BROWN ) I was very pleased.
So I wash it off...and it washes off like heaven, after 2 shampooings (average, as I'd do if had no dye on my hair) the towel which I wrapped hair into, didn't stain AT ALL. And! It would be actually fine if I didn't use the conditioner as the hair were soft...which was a very big surprise as my hair suffer from sun and salty water.
The color is brown!!! Really nice deep dark brown, which I always wanted. Man, I'm so happy I didn't come to the salon on time today and the stylist went home, I'd probably sit here jet black again.
Oh, and it smells nice and has no ammonia! Omg, are you kidding me? For 5 dollars?
Will repurchase no doubt, no matter how long it will last.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by greenlima

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

read before coloring your hair! i wish i did! another reviewer on here says the same thing: great product, no smell, nice color, BUT my roots are much lighter than the lower 2/3 of my hair which is black! dont follow the directions. put on roots for 20 min, then on rest of hair for no more than 5-10 minutes. my hair was light, copper brown from past med-brown die job (l'oreal) being lightened by the sun. ill update in 2-3 weeks about sun lightening the color or not and greys coming back or not. ill probably use again for roots. i liked the loose gloves, easy to take off and put one during dye job.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by nicurly

This is not sold in Canada so I had to buy on one of my trips to the US. I really like this! My hair feels so soft and the colour is perfect!! It covered my numerous grays adequately. It is definitley dark brown and not jet black or blue black like so many other d/s hair colour brands. I will buy again in bulk when I am visitng the US again. For reference my hair is what I call soft black normally.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 3:08:00 AM More reviews by tarapickholtz

I'll admit... before reading the reviews on Revon's Colorsilk hair dye, I never even considered it! I guess I saw the very low price and assumed it wouldn't be any good. After reading about it, I was curious and decided to give it a try. It was on sale at my grocery store, so it was even cheaper! I decided on the Dark Brown to darken my medium brown hair. Last time I used a dark brown color, my hair was a pretty harsh black at first! I expected that this might happen, but decided to still give it a try since my last dye job didn't come out as dark as I hoped (it can be hard to know for sure how it will turn out!).

First, I noticed that the gloves definitely were thin. They were made of thin plastic, not stretchy latex or similar material like other box dyes might come with. The other items seemed fine with packaging. Nothing fancy, but it all seemed like typical hair dye products. I mixed it up applied dye from 2 boxes for my longer, chest-length hair. If I hadn't recently thinned out my hair, I might have needed 3 boxes. I actually bought 3, so I had an extra to save for next time. The dye consistency was average like others I have used. I did manage to make a bit of a mess around me, but that can be typical for any at-home dye.

I noticed that the scent was MUCH less strong compared to other brands I have used. This is a big plus! I am migraine-prone and strong scents can bother me. Last time I used Garnier Fructisse and even though it has the fruit extract scent, it was still considerably stronger than this one. Clairol Perfect 10 was pretty strong too. Actually, even the semi-permanent ones I've used were stronger! This had a light floral scent and didn't have an overpowering chemical scent. In the past, I tend to feel sick from the lingering scent even after washing my hair, because it tends to be there for the first couple of washes. My freshly dyed hair smells like I used a floral shampoo or something and not at all like dye! Awesome :)

I rinsed it out and used the conditioner and my hair feels pretty soft and nice too! I didn't blow dry it and let it air dry, but it definitely feels nice and healthy. The color looks wonderful! It looks just like the box. I didn't get a harsh black color, but a nice rich dark brown that's just below black. I really love how it turned out!

My only negative thing is that the thin gloves actually resulted in my hands being dyed in a few places! I used a pumice stone to scrub those areas (I am sure there are better ways to remove it!) and it's fine now, but I'll definitely double up on gloves next time or buy my own.

I spent about $5 and have great-looking hair! I am very pleased with the results and would definitely repurchase. Since I plan to keep my hair darker for a while, I'll be sticking with this Dark Brown color. I tend to go to the salon for highlights and lightening, but I'll definitely be sure to buy this brand for keeping my hair dark at home. Saves me money AND looks great, without a strong smell! The conditioner was very nice too! I'll be curious to see how it lasts, but even if it were to fade quickly, at least it's very inexpensive to buy again. If you are considering this brand of dye for a dark brown color, definitely give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by prweiss65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE******
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING THIS COLOR!!! THE DAY AFTER I USED THIS, I LOOKED AT MY HAIR IN THE DAYLIGHT AND IT WAS BLACK.....REALLY BLACK! The instructions are NOT clear. IF YOU have EVER colored your hair -- as in getting it salon colored -- do not leave it on the full head for the full amount of time!!!!! ONLY do the roots for the 20 minutes, then pull thru for 5 minutes. Had I known this I could have avoided a lot of heartache for the past three weeks. I have black hair now, and short of stripping it and damaging it, I will have black hair for a very loooooong time. Still think the product is awesome, my hair condition is great, but the color is just totally wrong due to improper use.

I've been brainwashed/snowed for the past two years by my salon with their hoity toity salon color "INOA by Loreal" .....paying $80 dollars plus tip, just for a root touch up (no haircut or blow dry,) every 6 weeks. Supposedly, the "Inoa" was making my hair "healthier" with every visit....because of the lack of ammonia. Well, that was a load of bull crap.

So I read the reviews on here, and took the plunge with Dark Brown Colorsilk. All I can say is: YIPPEE! I can't believe how absolutely amazingly terrific this product is! I am literally blown away by the high-quality results I got from this hair color . No bad smell. Leaves hair in great condition. Ammonia free. Easy to apply. No fading. Perfect Color without any brassy red. I paid 4 bucks.

I can finally tell my salon to suck it! -- I'm never ever going to spend 80 bucks for someone to color my roots again. I may go in for a few strands of lighter highlights around my face in the summer, but I'll be coloring myself from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by memorgan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow! I started coloring my hair at 18, for the fun of it. Now at 45, it is a necessity due to an abundance of gray. I have tried EVERY drugstore and beauty supply color over the years with mixed results. I have naturally dark brown hair, and this color is my color but better. Completely covers gray, doesn't fade, is multi-dimentional, gentle, just rich and beautiful results. I just can't believe it. I have been looking for these results for years, never imagining they could come from cheap Colorsilk. I was always afraid to try it. I can't recommend it enough. Again, wow!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use Revlon Colorsilk a lot. I think I'll stick with Medium Browns from now on because this looks VERY dark on my pale skin. It's a very close match to my natural hair color though, which is what I was going for so that I can grow my hair out w/o having to color it every 4 weeks

O nm about the color being too dark! I haven't died my hair in over a month and it matches my roots perfectly, so I guess this was my original color (I haven't seen it for a while lol)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this hair colouring product, I've been using it for several years now. It's not sold in Canada so I load up in the USA a couple of times a year.

This colour in particular is very dark, nearly black. It's darker than I'd prefer so I mix it with another Colorsilk (medium golden brown) in a 3:4 ratio for the perfect shade for me.

I really appreciate the nice shine I get from this product...no dull over dyed hair look!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2010 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Jennifer22309

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this color. It looks almost black inside without natural lighting. but once you go outside you can see the rich brown come threw...Its almost my natural color anyways.

My only problem is, theres very little in the box. So if you have longer hair i would suggest 2 boxes. but for almost 4$ its no biggie..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2010 1:35:00 AM More reviews by jcdiva1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Black

I hated my black hair so I decided to dye my hair a little lighter with this product and it didn't do anything to my hair at all so I'm not that impressed but the color looked good anyway and it worked better than some of the hair dyes out there for $8! So I wouldn't recommend this product if you want to lighten your hair but it's a good product for everything else.

UPDATE: It fades quickly...not good :( At least it was only $3.