July 30, 2014 | 1538 users online

Moisturizers - Avocado Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2012 3:02:00 AM More reviews by mg84

I recently purchased a small bottle of avocado oil because I had been thinking about using it as a body moisturizer after showering. But, one of the first things that I actually did was try it out on my lips. My lips had been feeling very dry / chapped recently, and my usual lip balm didn't seem to be helping very much. I applied a bit of the avocado oil to my lips, and then applied my regular lip balm on top. After doing this for a few days, I was pleasantly surprised because I could see and feel a real difference. The oil seems to absorb well, and it feels like it's repairing the dry skin. I've also tried using the oil on my legs, since the skin there tends to get quite dry / flaky for me at times. I think it's doing a good job for that purpose as well, and the skin stays well-moisturized for a long time. Based on my experience so far, I would like to keep using this oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2012 12:35:00 AM More reviews by EmJay31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought avocado oil because my usually oily skin was really dry from using benzoyl peroxide. On the plus side, my skin looked amazing after i put it on - it felt moisturised and smooth. However...after a couple hours I reacted to it, and developed a horrible rash over my face and neck - small red, itchy bumps. It was sooo bad! Not only did it look terrible it felt terrible, and it eventually cleared up after a couple days.
Judging by the good reviews, this product is great for many people but I would really really recommend patch testing this before using it...better safe than sorry :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love avocado oil! As someone who suffers from dry skin (even in Hawaii) and makes all their own products, this has been such a good find. It does smell a little funny, but I make my own night face oil with a few oils and some essential oils, so I can't really even smell it. It's so full of antioxidants and great fatty acids that it's perfect for the face. I also use it in my body oil recipe (which I posted in my review of sunflower oil) and my skin is glowing, healthy and moisturized. I wouldn't be without it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 11:48:00 PM More reviews by ayalalaya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchase the Now Foods brand. It has a slight avocado odor but it doesn't both me. I bought a 4 oz bottle for about $5. I removed the cap and replaced it with a pump to make it less messy and more convenient. Before using avocado oil, I used almond oil. My face was still flaky with dry patches, red and inflamed, and itchy. A week after the switch, my face is hydrated, youthful, and not red or inflamed anymore! I also have sensitive acne prone skin and noticed that I have less breakouts! Ironically, my skin has become less oily. I wish I used this oil back in high school!

A little goes a long way with essential oils. You only need 3-4 drops for the entire face. I like to massage it into my face immediately after a shower while my face is still wet because it absorbs better. My skin literally drinks it up because minutes later, my naturally combination skin is completely oil free! I find that if I rub it on dry skin, the oil just sits on top of my skin.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2011 5:01:00 PM More reviews by bella418

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

im not sure if i bought the wrong brand or what but after about a week i experienced clogged pores. i purchased the NOW brand which was more of a yellow color, but it was the only one i could find. it didn't wow me as a moisturizer since i woke up with flaky skin anyways. i wish this worked out for me because i was hoping to find a gentler/cheaper alternative to retinol creams (its contains vitamin a and studies show that avocado oil itself builds collagen). im going to use the oil up on my hands and body sealed off by a moisturizer, but probably wont dare to try it on my face again.

UPDATE: I learned that this is one of the oils that truely penetrate the skin layers and I love how it really mknoisturizes my stretching pregnant skin instead of just sitting on my top layer . I got no stretch marks since I started using this daily and a few times a week I apply it all over my body after showering. My extremely dry skin has normalized! Still a big no for my face tho. Will not buy again just because the smell kind of bothers me.. if coconut oil doesn't give me same results then I might tho.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2011 9:32:00 PM More reviews by aquarianrabbit

I got cold pressed avocado oil to try because I was getting tired of using my giant bottle of sunflower oil (which is fabulous, by the way) and because the reviews for it are so good. Sadly, I'm one of the people whose skin freaked out after a week's worth of using it as a night time moisturizer. I got a bit of a rash. I'm going back to the sunflower and will update if the rash goes away, so I can be sure it's the avocado oil.

UPDATE: My rash was NOT the avocado oil. It was my eczema making an appearance on my face. Once I got that back under control, I used the avocado oil again and it works fine. I'm not in love with it like I am with sunflower oil, but it works great for when my skin is uber dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 2:15:00 PM More reviews by EozS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE avocado oil for my face (hair, body, anywhere...). It is light and is absorbed within minutes so it does not leave a lasting greasy feel. No strong smell, and while the bottle is expensive it lasts a lot time so per use it is not expensive. I use it day and night but I should be using an SPF moisturizer in the morning.

I have acne prone skin and I have fewer breakouts now than before I started using avocado oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2011 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Michelle219

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I originally purchased avocado oil as a hair treatment after hearing and reading all the great things it does for the sclap and hair. I personally found it too heavy for my hair. So I switched back to jojoba oil. Since I didn't want to waste the bottle I mixed it with my coconut oil that I use on my body. It seems to be working rather well. The coconut oil masks the smell of the avocado oil and I feel like my skin is getting a moisture boost, which I need since its getting colder outside. I have used the mixed on my face after having a chemical peel since my jojoba oil wasn't cutting it (my skin was so incredible dry). I have kept up using it and my face feels pretty good too. Then I tried using that mixture in my hair as an overnight pre-conditioner a few times. I haven't seen a dramatic change in my hair yet but I think that I will stick with it since it will probably take a few months to see any hair growth.

UPDATE: I have been using avocado oil on both my face and body and my skin is super soft and smooth. I have been using a avocado and honey hair mask, though messy its very moisturizing for my hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2011 4:54:00 AM More reviews by Blondemenace121

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love oils and I think they're great for skin - I love jojoba and rosehip and especially pure vitamin e. However, like a few of the other reviewers avocado oil make my skin go nuts. Within seconds my face was bright red, burning, itchy and starting swell. Not sure what caused the reaction, I got food-grade oil, cold-pressed and oganic. It may have been the high vitamin A content. Those already using retinols should be aware that it is very high in natural vitamin A and will give an exfoliating effect.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by Alythia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hot damn, my skin loves this stuff. I've used oils (particularly jojoba) on my face before, and have had decent results with the oil cleansing method using olive and castor oils, but I think this is the best one yet. I used it as a night time moisturizer after using my regular cleanser, and my skin looked amazing the next morning--glowy, soft, no noticeable fine lines. I'm not sure yet about helping with my minor acne, but it seems the perfect balance of light and rich for my face, and didn't cause much shine (well, after it sunk in).

Not so sure about using it on my hair, though--I mixed some in with my conditioner, and I barely noticed a difference.