July 31, 2014 | 1507 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sonia Kashuk - Highlighting Brush

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by rockangel04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This brush is what I was hoping would be my dupe for the MAC 187 but unfortuneatly mine would shed like crazy. It did stipple well when it wasn't shedding and the fibers are pretty soft. If it hadn't have left at least 5 bristles all over my face every time I used it I would have loved it. I still won't buy the 187, I just won't pay that much for a brush. Before I got this SK brush I was using my ecotools powder brush for stippling and it worked very very well and those brushes DO NOT shed. I'm still going to search for a stippling brush because I wan't to use my ecotools brush for powder. Mine could have just been a poorly made one though, lucky for me target allowed me to return it. So I still suggest trying it to save you a lot of money and if it sheds like mine take it back...just save your receipt:)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 7:53:00 PM More reviews by orinkanookii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this brush. I really want the MAC 187, but since I don't have a MAC store anywhere near me, I bought this brush to tied me over. It's working out so well, I don't think I need to waste the money on the MAC one. This brush is a dream with cream blushes. I've tried it with liquid foundations, but much prefer a foundation brush. This is a great quality brush for a very small price. I believe I paid around $14 at Target. Very little shedding, even with washing. So far, I'm very pleased with this little brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2010 5:31:00 PM More reviews by dhuma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this brush! I do not own the full sized MAC 187 but I own a travel sized one from the holiday set. I had used that brush to stipple foundation until I found this Sonia Kashuk brush; it works just as well if not better than the MAC one I owned. I've owned this brush for a little over a year now and it still in perfect condition. There is no shedding and the white fibers are dense and firm enough to apply liquid foundation perfectly. If you ever get dry patches, stippling on foundation will really help to hide imperfections without amplifying the dry bits of skin. I can't say if this is an exact dupe for the full sized MAC 187 but it does an excellent job regardless. And for the price, it's worth a try!
UPDATE: After two years of owning this I'm taking off a lippie because it actually has shed a bit to the point where density is suffering. Although this brush does initially perform well, it's not a brush you can use forever.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by marippe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

i've been using this brush for about 5 or so months now, for applying liquid foundation.. because i'm too cheap for a mac stippling brush lol.
it does tend to shed after spot cleaning &even after washing it.. but it's cheap enough that i can always get a replacement if i needed.
overall it gets the job done &helps me to get even coverage on my face/neckline.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by mzpkay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this to apply my liquid foundation. I've been using it for about 2 months? It sheds a bit, both when I use it and when I wash it. It also sort of hurts and irritates my sensitive skin. I don't know if I'm pressing too hard or if the bristles themselves are a little sharp. I haven't tried the MAC one or any other brands so I can't compare it, but it seems to do the job (stippling, airbrushed finish, etc) except with my Laura Mercier Oil-free Foundation and my Revlon Colorstay. With those two foundations, I much, MUCH prefer to use a wet sponge.
Overall, I like wet sponges (beautyblender, Sonia Kashuk's dupe) better. Brushes just aren't my thing so I won't be repurchasing this or using it for foundation. Maybe I'll try it on my cream blushes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 10:54:00 PM More reviews by LovesTheWay2Go

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I initially bought this brush because I wanted a nice brush with high quality ratings to apply creamier products. This is a pretty decent brush and I was very impressed with it. I haven't had any shedding and I've washed my brush about 5 times so far. I wish It was a little smaller and denser though, but it still works fairly well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 10:40:00 AM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Another product I never would've known about without MUA.

I needed a brush for my new BECCA creme blush because my 187 couldn't do the job: it's too floppy, so I had to manually squoosh all of the bristles together for it to be dense/stiff enough to pick up any of the creme. After using this method for 3 days, the tediousness became too much & I started cruising Productville for a solution. Enter the miraculous SK Highlighting Brush.

When this brush arrived in the mail (from Target) I compared it to my 187 & it seemed absolutely identical - density & everything seemed exactly the same, so I didn't hold out much hope for it. Alas, even though it *seemed* the same, it's not! This brush is the answer to my dreams & would be worth it if it cost 3x more. Even though the bristles are super-soft, the density is such that it doesn't bend at all when tapping it into my BECCA blush. And the application is sublime - I can control exactly how much I am applying & where I want to apply it.

Also - regarding the shedding - I washed the brush prior to using it & it shed exactly 1 hair! That's it. This brush really lives up to the hype & I'm delighted that I ordered two!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

The BEST type of liquid foundation brush.

I've had this for a couple of weeks and I love it. First of all, it is a dupe of the Mac one, which I don't have. I have used it to stipple on liquid foundation for that airbrushed look, and it does work well, especially for those foundations that might go on to thick. In fact, I never use a traditional foundation brush anymore, just dab some foundation on my face with my middle finger (couple dabs on nose, cheeks, forehead, etc.), then use this brush in a stippling or patting motion until it's all blended.

I stopped using traditional foundation brushes because it was too easy to accidentally apply too much foundation to my face, and it was impossible to make the mistake better unless I washed my whole face, which I don't have time for. I find that the brush doesn't suck up foundation, so you actually use LESS.

The description for this brush is a highlighting one, and so I do use it for a light dusting of finishing powder (you know, if it's not entirely translucent) so that I know I'm not applying to much. It's also great for apply a light dusting of bronzer where you need it, but obviously it wouldn't work for contouring. I think I saw in a video someone using this as a highlighter for their cheekbones, they dipped just the tip of one side in the powder then applied that to their face, so you could try that also.

Anyway, this is a very versatile brush, and I have not had the problem of it shedding. It is great! Plus, only 13 bucks, compared to over $30 for Mac. Try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by aquariusgirl1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Best brush for blush, powder for liquid foundation ( stipple method)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by EuphoricMadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like many others, I bought this as a dupe for the 187 months ago based on reviews. I thought it applied foundation pretty well, but I've never tried the 187 before, so I couldn't compare the two then. I still don't own a 187 (yet!! :P) but thankfullyy, I've finally had the opportunity to try the 187 during my last visits to MAC, so here's my comparison.
Appearance: both duo-fiber, though the white tips of the SK are slightly longer and more spaced out. The top of the SK brush is also wider, while the 187 is more circular.
Foundation/blush: they give similar results.
Softness: imo, there's definitely a difference in softness. If you just run your fingers through the brushes, you won't notice it much, but your face will when you apply foundation/blush/highlight... For me, the 187 was softer and less poke-y
Shedding: although I love the 187 for its softness, it shed more on me than the SK. But while the SK doesn't shed much on me when applying foundation, it does shed a bit when spot cleaning (tbf, though, all of my face brushes do...).
Price: obviously, the MAC is more expensive- about $30 more

They're both great for mu application, but overall, I prefer the 187 over the SK because of its shape (circular brush top) and softness.