Sonia Kashuk Bristle Hair Brush

4.1

on 1/10/2009 12:35:00 AM

I normally don't write reviews but I felt obligated to on this item.

I have owned this hairbrush for a little over a year. When I first bought it, I couldn't see a big difference between this and my Mason Pearson brush which I bought around the same time, but I admit I am really not an expert on hairbrushes. The only thing I could have pointed out was that the bristles on the Sonia Kashuk brush were a little flimsier.

Now, after a year or so of using both brushes I can definitely tell you why Mason Pearson brushes are superior. A significant amount of the bristles on my Sonia Kashuk hairbrush have broken off near the bottom of each tuft. In some cases, nearly half of the bristles have broken off. They are just long enough to collect a lot of crud (which I haven't managed to wash away, despite my rigorous efforts,) and also to snag on my hair on occasion.

This hairbrush is just another landfill item. I recently resolved to try mostly buying things that will last from now on, which is why I invested in a full sized Mason Pearson hairbrush (my current one being pocket sized, which I will faithfully continue to use,) and will not again be taking my chances again on lower grade brushes such as this. I did not buy my Mason Pearson believing that it would do wondrous miracles for my hair; I bought it because it has a long-standing reputation for longevity. The fact is, none of us here could possibly have owned a Sonia Kashuk hairbrush long enough for it to build that kind of reputation. And as you can probably tell from my review, mine isn't definitely going to live that long.

I just think we need to take more responsibility here and think about more than just our wallets and the near future when buying things. Sorry for what probably looks like a Mason Pearson sales pitch, but after seeing some of the MP dissent here, I just thought I'd present my case. But if you're still looking for an alternative to a Mason Pearson hairbrush, then this one isn't it.

on 11/30/2008 6:02:00 PM

Count me in as another who can't fathom dropping 100-plus dollars on a Mason Pearson. After reading in Allure awhile back that this was a great dupe for it, I figured, for fifteen bucks, why not?

I'm definitely loving this. It's small enough to fit in my purse, and I love the ergonomic handle. My hair, which varies between chin and shoulder length, is fine, frizzy, wavy, and gets tangled easily. This detangles snarls easily without effort or discomfort, and leaves my hair soft, shiny, and best of all, frizz-free. My only gripe is that it tends to attract dust very easily, though on the upside it can also be cleaned out easily as well.

I have and will repurchase. For this price, I don't think I'll ever need a Mason Pearson.

continued >>

on 11/17/2008 12:13:00 PM

Like many people who reviewed this product, I could not justify spending $100+ on a Mason Pearson hair brush. I read on a forum that this product is comparable, if not better, than a Pearson brush, so I snapped it up right away when I saw it at Target. I must say that after brushing my hair for two days with this hair brush, I am quite impressed by it. My hair is undoubtedly softer and more tangle-free. I went back to Target yesterday to pick up another one for home use and possibly a few more as Christmas presents for friends, but they were out. Because I do not own a Pearson brush, I could not say whether or not this brush is indeed better or worse; but compared to my old Conair hair brush and other hair brushes I have used, this brush in definitely the best.

I really like this brush! I especially like how it massages my scalp when I brush with it. The problems I have with this brush are cosmetic and quality issues.

First of all, the rubber pad that the bristles sit in (not sure of the technical terms lol) is glued off center on mine. Not a big deal really, but it looks cheap. Also, there were a few really long black bristles sticking out of mine that I had to trim. I shouldn't have to do that.

I have never used a Mason brush, but after hearing this one is a good dupe I really wanted to try it. I will continue to keep using this, I would also buy it again, just next time I will inspect it closer before purchase!

on 11/13/2008 2:52:00 AM

My goodness, this brush feels sooo great against my scalp! I've been using the Aveda paddle brush for I-can't-remember-how-many-years, and I had no problems with it; but I just happened upon the great reviews, and thought a change of pace would be good. My hair is fine, limp, straight, tangles easily, and is almost mid-back-length. When using the brush, my hair gets really staticky, but fortunately, this goes away in seconds. Afterward, my hair looks smooth and healthy, not brittle and stringy. Plus, this brush seems to fluff up my hair, which is great b/c I'm always lamenting at my lack of volume. I've never used a Mason Pearson, so I can't compare, but I'm really happy with this brush. Another great product by Sonia K!!!

on 11/10/2008 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I never had the slightest clue that a brush could have such a huge impact on the quality of my hair, but this one did! Not only does my (long, fine-but-plentiful, colored, straight) hair stay bouncy and tangle-free all day, but - and this is HUGE - I've found that my scalp, which tends to be dry, has had a dramatic reduction in flakes. In fact, as I type this and run my fingertips over my scalp, I can't feel any loose flakes at all - this DEFINITELY wasn't the case a few days ago! Also, my hair is the type that will normally be full of tangles at day's end, and I was starting to get despondent about having long hair at all because of this. The tangle problem has been almost totally reduced since I started using this brush a couple days ago.

EDIT 01/03/09: Nearly two months after purchasing this brush, I'm still hooked; the worst thing I can say about it is that it may be habit-forming, because I find myself panicking when I've gone to the BF's house and neglected to bring my SK bristle brush with me. I've been using this brush at least twice daily and my scalp is almost completely flake-free, something that no combination of products had been able to do - not to this extent. Also, the brush is still in nice shape and has only lost a couple of bristles (from when I was cleaning it a bit too exuberantly). Ultimately, I can't stand to use any of my other hair brushes as they cannot compare to the way this one feels on my scalp and its detangling properties.

on 11/10/2008 5:18:00 PM

First off, I have a lot of fine, wavy hair that's past my shoulders. I grew up with Mason Pearson hairbrushes...it's the only brush my Mom would use on herself and her kids. And although I didn't inherit my Mom's thick, glossy, dark hair, I was instilled with an appreciation for quality hair brushes.

Sonia's brush easily rivals a Mason Pearson...I almost like them a little more. I have two. I carry one in my purse and one at home. They detangle, gloss, and smooth my hair. I find that with these brushes help me use less product.

The price...I could buy 8 or so of these before I equalled just one Mason Pearson. But I don't think I'll ever have to replace it...Sonia's bushes have been washed several times and are holding up fabulously.

on 10/9/2008 10:41:00 PM

This brush is awesome. I do a beehive on a regular basis and this brushes through the stiffest sprays and teasing without pulling or hurting. Does a good job of detangling and warm (not hot) blowdrying. It's very smooth and ergonomic.

on 10/2/2008 1:08:00 PM

Ive been lemming for a Mason brush but could nto bring myself to shell out so much moolah for a hairbursh... First of, i have stick straight hair and really hardly brush it. i comb it out once with a wide toothed comb when i get out of the shower an dthats pretty much it. But my husband had commented to me (after he spend half an hour brushing my ahir the other night with a paddle brush) that my hair is so much nicer when i take the time to brush it. So i bought this based on the reviews, and wow, my ahir is shiny, not tangled, smooth and softer! ive been brushing my hair more and peeple have been asking me if i did something diff to my hair, lol.
I liek the little case it came with because i can throw it in my purse and know it wont get naged up. A littlle bulky for sure but since i liek huge purses, then it snot an issue really.
I would defintiely buy it again :)

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

since i cant afford Mason Pearson for the time being...i have used this brush ever since its debut and i really love it! it grips my hair well and makes it shiny with each brushing...

Top Rated Sonia Kashuk Products