April 25, 2014 | 922 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Bristle Hair Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2008 12:13:00 PM More reviews by chli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like many people who reviewed this product, I could not justify spending $100+ on a Mason Pearson hair brush. I read on a forum that this product is comparable, if not better, than a Pearson brush, so I snapped it up right away when I saw it at Target. I must say that after brushing my hair for two days with this hair brush, I am quite impressed by it. My hair is undoubtedly softer and more tangle-free. I went back to Target yesterday to pick up another one for home use and possibly a few more as Christmas presents for friends, but they were out. Because I do not own a Pearson brush, I could not say whether or not this brush is indeed better or worse; but compared to my old Conair hair brush and other hair brushes I have used, this brush in definitely the best.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by LouiseHourihan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this brush! I especially like how it massages my scalp when I brush with it. The problems I have with this brush are cosmetic and quality issues.

First of all, the rubber pad that the bristles sit in (not sure of the technical terms lol) is glued off center on mine. Not a big deal really, but it looks cheap. Also, there were a few really long black bristles sticking out of mine that I had to trim. I shouldn't have to do that.

I have never used a Mason brush, but after hearing this one is a good dupe I really wanted to try it. I will continue to keep using this, I would also buy it again, just next time I will inspect it closer before purchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 2:52:00 AM More reviews by curlycuesue

My goodness, this brush feels sooo great against my scalp! I've been using the Aveda paddle brush for I-can't-remember-how-many-years, and I had no problems with it; but I just happened upon the great reviews, and thought a change of pace would be good. My hair is fine, limp, straight, tangles easily, and is almost mid-back-length. When using the brush, my hair gets really staticky, but fortunately, this goes away in seconds. Afterward, my hair looks smooth and healthy, not brittle and stringy. Plus, this brush seems to fluff up my hair, which is great b/c I'm always lamenting at my lack of volume. I've never used a Mason Pearson, so I can't compare, but I'm really happy with this brush. Another great product by Sonia K!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2008 9:02:00 PM More reviews by theory_box

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I never had the slightest clue that a brush could have such a huge impact on the quality of my hair, but this one did! Not only does my (long, fine-but-plentiful, colored, straight) hair stay bouncy and tangle-free all day, but - and this is HUGE - I've found that my scalp, which tends to be dry, has had a dramatic reduction in flakes. In fact, as I type this and run my fingertips over my scalp, I can't feel any loose flakes at all - this DEFINITELY wasn't the case a few days ago! Also, my hair is the type that will normally be full of tangles at day's end, and I was starting to get despondent about having long hair at all because of this. The tangle problem has been almost totally reduced since I started using this brush a couple days ago.

EDIT 01/03/09: Nearly two months after purchasing this brush, I'm still hooked; the worst thing I can say about it is that it may be habit-forming, because I find myself panicking when I've gone to the BF's house and neglected to bring my SK bristle brush with me. I've been using this brush at least twice daily and my scalp is almost completely flake-free, something that no combination of products had been able to do - not to this extent. Also, the brush is still in nice shape and has only lost a couple of bristles (from when I was cleaning it a bit too exuberantly). Ultimately, I can't stand to use any of my other hair brushes as they cannot compare to the way this one feels on my scalp and its detangling properties.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2008 5:18:00 PM More reviews by edtennisbabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

First off, I have a lot of fine, wavy hair that's past my shoulders. I grew up with Mason Pearson hairbrushes...it's the only brush my Mom would use on herself and her kids. And although I didn't inherit my Mom's thick, glossy, dark hair, I was instilled with an appreciation for quality hair brushes.

Sonia's brush easily rivals a Mason Pearson...I almost like them a little more. I have two. I carry one in my purse and one at home. They detangle, gloss, and smooth my hair. I find that with these brushes help me use less product.

The price...I could buy 8 or so of these before I equalled just one Mason Pearson. But I don't think I'll ever have to replace it...Sonia's bushes have been washed several times and are holding up fabulously.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 10:41:00 PM More reviews by rastaxcore

This brush is awesome. I do a beehive on a regular basis and this brushes through the stiffest sprays and teasing without pulling or hurting. Does a good job of detangling and warm (not hot) blowdrying. It's very smooth and ergonomic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 1:08:00 PM More reviews by vain_brat

Ive been lemming for a Mason brush but could nto bring myself to shell out so much moolah for a hairbursh... First of, i have stick straight hair and really hardly brush it. i comb it out once with a wide toothed comb when i get out of the shower an dthats pretty much it. But my husband had commented to me (after he spend half an hour brushing my ahir the other night with a paddle brush) that my hair is so much nicer when i take the time to brush it. So i bought this based on the reviews, and wow, my ahir is shiny, not tangled, smooth and softer! ive been brushing my hair more and peeple have been asking me if i did something diff to my hair, lol.
I liek the little case it came with because i can throw it in my purse and know it wont get naged up. A littlle bulky for sure but since i liek huge purses, then it snot an issue really.
I would defintiely buy it again :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2008 2:28:00 AM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

since i cant afford Mason Pearson for the time being...i have used this brush ever since its debut and i really love it! it grips my hair well and makes it shiny with each brushing...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2008 7:56:00 PM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I forgot to pack a brush for a four-week visit and it's been great. I own a Mason Pearson at home and love it, so I was wondering how this would hold up in comparison. The handle does seem more ergonomic (that bump part) and it doesn't glide quite as well as the Mason Pearson, and it does have an awful rubber tire smell, but it detangles my thick, straight hair quite well and the price is great for what it delivers. It's not cheap, compared with other drugstore hair brushes, but it's probably the best in that category. I also like the hard box it comes in, which I plan on keeping it in for when I travel. That rubber tire smell is probably the worst thing about this brush.

UPDATED July 23, 2013: The Sonia Kashuk brush they sell now seems to be very different from the one that came out years ago. The old one I bought years ago I leave at my MIL's across the country so I don't have to pack a hair brush when I travel to see my in-laws; while on vacation elsewhere I decided to buy a LE set with a large and small brush (the small brush having a purple body/handle with yellow rubber, the large with a red body/handle and green rubber). It is not the same at all. The rubber on the old brush is cushy. The new brushes have no bounce and the bristles feel pokey; they do not compare to my Mason Pearson at all. In disgust, I gave them to my four-year-old daughter; at least she can't tell the difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by CantMAKEUPmyMlND

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading great reviews from both beauty magazines (which can be unreliable!) and other ladies, I knew I had to try this brush.

Let me start with that my hair is shoulder length, very thick and naturally wavy/curly with puff to rival a poodle.

Admittedly, I never used to brush my hair other than when blow drying. After I blow dry, I flat iron and wouldn't dare put a brush near my flat ironed hair due to the risk of re-puffing.

Now I brush it all the time because the brush feels so darn good! No puffy mess after flat ironing, either!

I've had this brush for about 3 weeks now and I SWEAR using it daily has made my hair shinier, smoother and easier to blow dry. I don't use it TO blow dry, but before hand, and the results are fabulous.

This isn't an average cheap brush that pulls and hurts your hair/scalp. It glides through your hair, leaving it glossy.

WELL worth the $15 and I swear my hair is less puffy.