October 23, 2014 | 1428 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 4/12/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Rumz

I stupidly bought this to use as a natural eyeshadow, it doesn't suit my skin colour at all and creases horribly. This is only salvageable if using primer before hand and setting with darker powder eye shadow. It doesn't blend into the skin nicely, kind of just sits on top of the eyelid like a obvious coat of paint. I haven't used this more than a couple of times since I bought it years ago and it has now completely dried out, so all in all a waste.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is what I wear under any color shadow or when I want the Dita Von Teese intensified cat eyeliner look as it is the perfect neutral.

I prefer this over the UD Primer Potion and my TFSI.

Dries matte and does not budge or crease.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2013 4:19:00 AM More reviews by Astrida5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted this to work so badly but i have mixed feelings about this product. It is creamy when I take a little on my finger but when I apply it on my eyelids it sort of dry out. And sadly it's too light for my nc25 skin tone to wear it on its own. I would love to wear this with some eyeliner but it almost made me sick looking. I will use it but I won't repurchase it. Maybe I will buy the Mac paint pot in painterly.
I give it 3 lippies because I do love that it doesn't crease the first 6/7 hours while I have EXTREMELY oily eyelids.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 8:50:00 AM More reviews by Macjunkie101

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is by far one of the best bases I've found. I own three shades of Mac Paint Pots (Soft Ocher, Indianwood, and constructivist.) I apply this after using an eyeshadow primer and it works perfectly. I have combination skin and my eyelids tend to get quite oily and this lasts all day from the moment I put it on (In the morning or early afternoon) until I remove my makeup at the end of the day. You can wear it by itself or with eyeshadow on top of it and either way it works great. It doesn't crease at all throughout the day and it makes any eyeshadow look a lot more pigmented and vibrant. The packaging is nice and high quality looking and feeling. I'm on my second one of these and will continue to repurchase them when I run out. I have had no problems with the product drying out and they last a long time considering I use this product quite frequently.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2013 4:08:00 AM More reviews by Perthgirl

This is my second MAC paint pot (my other is Rubenesque) and it was purchased because I was looking for a matte eyeshadow base. My skin has yellow undertones so Soft Ochre is perfect. For my very oily lids my failsafe routine is primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance), followed by Soft Ochre as a base, then eye shadow. This combination works a treat for me, I get all day (10 hours+) creaseless shadow, and intense colours. The consistency is firm but creamy to apply, a thin layer does the job beautifully, a thicker application looks chalky and not appealing at all. Therefore (providing it doesn't dry out) my current pot will last me ages.

Price: at $35 here in Australia I think this is quite pricey. Maybelline color tattoos are $12 and Too Faced Shadow Insurance is around $27 - so it's definitely at the top end of our price range.

Packaging: the glass pot is definitely good quality and feels high end, but for product longevity (in terms of the product drying out) or hygiene, it's by far not the best option.

Overall: Maybelline Color Tattoos work just as well as the MAC Paint Pots IMO but unfortunately MCT's don't have the colour or finish range.
For the colour and quality I love this product but don't love the price. I would repurchase it, but mostly for lack of another good option. One lippy deducted for high cost and non hygienic packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by traceyjoy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this as an eye shadow primer and I love it so much! I can't even put it in words. I will repurchase again again and again!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by swanvic

This is the second paint pot in my collection and unfortunately, the second one that disappoints me(I also have Painterly). This one is much better for my skin tone and it cancels out all redness/darkness on my eyelid, but like Painterly, it doesn't work for me as an eyeshadow base. I have oily eyelids and this product does not prevent my e/s from creasing, no more than 2 hours at least. It also needs to be blended quite well or else it will look a little weird and patchy in some areas of your eyelid. I don't know if I would buy this paint pot again because I was mainly looking for an e/s base that could also cancel the darkness on my lids(otherwise I have the Too Faced Shadow Insurance which I love), and this does only the latter but it does so very well.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by laureg

I originally bought this as a shadow primer, but forgot my undereye concealer one day, and decided to try this to see what would happen. I am in LOVE with soft ochre as an allover lid and undereye concealer, and it matches my skin *perfectly*. All I need is a very thin layer, blended well, and I have no lines, no crepiness, no separating- this stays put until I take it off. I have very dark undereye circles, and a thin layer of the paint pot does a better job of concealing than a more heavily applied heavy-duty concealer (like Dermablend, etc.). This has become an HG staple for me, and I would be devastated if MAC discontinued it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by lukeyb

I've tried many things to prep my es. MAC paint pots are always raved in the beauty blog/YouTube world so I bought one. I choose soft ochre as opposed to painterly because the color matched my lids better.

I was pretty disappointed. This worked about as good as the ELF $1 primer which didn't work for me. One reason I thought it didn't work was because I don't have oily lids. Everyone who raves about paint pots seems to have oily lids. But if you have normal lids like me, pass it up! I may use this to conceal or highlight but not as an es primer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 1:15:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

I purchased this paint pot with the intention of using it as an eyeshadow primer. Given that I have olive skin (NC35/40 in the winter, a bit higher in the summer), I chose Soft Ochre over Painterly, which has more pinkish undertones. The SA also recommended this shade to me because I tend to wear warm-toned shadows more often, and Painterly workers better as a base for cool-toned eyeshadows. My interest in trying this product was largely motivated by the fact that I was looking for alternatives to Too Faced Shadow Insurance...while definitely an excellent primer, TFSI makes blending many of my shadows very difficult, and I was hoping that the Paint Pot would resolve that issue. Here's what I have experienced so far:
Pros: Soft Ochre, while definitely significantly lighter than the skin on my eyelids, does do a nice job of evening out the skin tone there so that shadow colors appear more true. It was also relatively easy to apply smoothly, though since it lacks the silicone feel and transparency of TFSI it is not as effortless to apply as TFSI. However, it did make blending shadows a bit easier than with TFSI, and my shadows did not crease or change color during the day. I also think that the amount of product you receive for the price is pretty fair, given that just a tiny amount is needed for each use.
Cons: The packaging...it's not as sanitary as TFIS, and I'm afraid that this paint pot will dry up before I hit the bottom of the little glass jar - this is a non-issue with the TFSI tube. Also (and this is a big negative), if you have any dryness on your lids and/or brow bone, Soft Ochre magnifies it considerably. (I have an eye cream with retinol to thank for the dryness I'm currently experiencing). Once the dryness is under control, though, I think that this product will work wonderfully, both as a primer or all by itself.
ETA: Now that the dryness around my eyes has gone away, I gave this paint pot another try and am happy to report that it worked very well to keep eye shadow creases and color changes under control. I would just re-emphasize the fact that a little goes a long way with Soft Ochre, making this an even better buy in the long run.