Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation

Talc , Zea Mays (Corn) Starch , Zinc Stearate , Dimethicone , Boron Nitride , Zeolite , Methylparaben , Sorbic Acid , Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer , Propylparaben , Tetrasodium EDTA , Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate , BHT , Iron Oxides , Mica

on 8/4/2011 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this since last summer and really like it. I got it to try with my last skincare order (the Timewise Anti-Aging set, awesome stuff in it's own right) but didn't have high hopes for this based on reviews. However, YMMV and I generally buck trends by hating stuff everyone else loves and vice versa so I figured it was worth a try knowing I could return if I hated it. Glad I gave it a chance because it's replaced my other mineral foundations entirely. This doesn't make me itch or break out (it lacks the bismuth found in most mmu); gives my normal-dry skin a lovely natural look while providing great coverage. Doesn't look cakey or 'made up' (unless I really pack it on or don't buff it in well, then it can), doesn't feel like I have foundation on and doesn't require much, if any, touchup during an average day. It also does not settle into the laugh lines I have, which is what sets it apart from other mmu which tends to do that, or they were simply too drying for me where this is not, despite that it contains talc.

I use my own brushes, not the one that MK makes for this, and they work just fine so I see no need to change to theirs but might give it a try someday if it comes with. I use MAC 187 for sheer coverage, Alima 25 (original) and most recently, the ELF flat top powder brush for heavier coverage. I rarely need concealer after applying this because it covers what I need it to, evens out my skin nicely and I can layer it in areas that need more TLC (under my eyes, for example). I wear Ivory 2 during the summer when I'm@ NC25; Ivory 1 during the winter. I don't need a primer with this although I will use one if I have time but like the below reviewer says, it does help to pay attention to your skin routine which is a good thing to do anyway as everything just looks better over well cared-for skin! I do wear a moisturizer with sunscreen under it (currently also by MK, the Timewise SPF30) which doesn't affect the application, longevity or look but it's the same brand so I expected them to play together nicely. A little of this truly does go a long way like the instructions say so I've barely made a dent in my jar. I love the sifter top, no mess, no fuss, great for travel. Overall this is a winner for me; worth the price and has become my go-to foundation on a regular basis, especially during the summer. Because I look so flawless and it is so easy to achieve with this one single product, I will definitely repurchase (and have).

on 8/1/2011 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this stuff off and on for about a year...I strayed for a while and wore BE and, while I do like it, I think the un-shininess of the MK is better in our 100+ degree heat.
You DO need to prep properly before using this foundation. That means keeping up your whole skin care regimen. It loves clean, exfoliated, moisturized skin. I've found that the best use of this, for me, is to first apply the TimeWise tinted moisturizer (I put it on with a foundation brush and a spritz of rosewater if it dries too fast), after my concealer (when I really need it). Then I put the mineral foundation on using the MK flat-top brush. One coat works great to even my skintone out and soften the edges of my concealer.
I use Beige 1 in both the TM and MMU. I suspect that, come winter, I might drop back to Beige 0.5, but haven't tried it yet. (I wear Golden Medium in BE.) My concealer, for the record, is Rimmel Match Perfection in 245 Light (usually mixed with Benefit Ooh La Lift).
Please note that I do have some crinkles (I just turned 50!) and freckles (sigh), and this does not cover those completely. It does soften them a lot, though. So, this is certainly not heavy coverage (i can't begin to imagine what it would take to make all that look perfect!), but it IS my skin a hundred times better.
One other thing: I did notice, when I first started using this, that it is critical to keep your brush clean. I had a few nasty little breakouts before I figured out that my brush needs to be washed much more frequently than others. I have no clue WHY, but it made a huge difference. It's a small price for good skin, though!

on 7/15/2011 1:18:00 AM

The worst of the mineral powder foundations I've ever used. The first ingredient is talc, yes, a mineral, but also a known skin irritant and can cause breakouts. Another negative aspect to talc (especially as a first ingredient) is that is tends to cast a whitish glow in this product. This is what makes the foundation a heavier coverage product, however there are other ways of a achieving a full coverage effect ie using a little concealer along with a mineral powder foundation. As if this were not bad enough, I found their mineral foundation brush to be very scratchy, even after washing it. Both are a no for me.

on 7/13/2011 2:23:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This was a last ditch effort in trying mineral makeups. It really is more of a loose powder than a foundation, even with multiple layers. It is really light weight, but so is the coverage. I am not impressed with the color selection at all. I am using the lightest and I feel like it gives me such a white cakey look. The next color up made me look like I used bronzer it was so dark.
The jar is huge, so it does last forever. I'm just going to stick with translucent setting powders from now on. Not repurchasing this or any mineral makeup again.

on 7/13/2011 1:58:00 AM

I agree that it is too light and doesnt give a "complete" look. I have to use the Mary Kay medium coverage before I put this one on. After that my skin look flawless and amazing. But I wouldnt feel complete wearing this powder alone.

on 7/12/2011 2:10:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I don't really like this product. I think it looks just like a loose powder and doesn't provide the coverage of a foundation. There's no SPF in it and that's a huge negative for me. I have acne and I rely on these loose powder foundations for my sunscreen rather than a sunscreen lotion so I won't break out as much. This just doesn't work for me. I've tried it several times but always end up using it like a powder.

on 6/27/2011 10:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this product, it feels light on my face and I am able to build up coverage as I need it, but it also looks natural, I have large pores and it doesn't seem to make them stick out as bad as liquid foundation does. I really like wearing it in the summer time because it doesn't feel really heavy and it doesn't sweat off. It is expensive, but you do get more than what you get from Avon and other Wal-Mart brands,

on 6/24/2011 4:17:00 PM

Coverage: Light
lightweight makeup
doesn't feel heavy or look cakey
I Don't recomend this for dry skin

My sister dragged me to a 'makeover' by a Mary Kay sales lady So we ended up buying this product mostly because we felt bad and had to buy atleast one thing. The coverage is so light it doesn't do a thing for me but for my sister who doesn't usually wear make up I guess it's better than nothing.

My sister has dry skin and using this I can see closely that the product is visible on her face but from a distance it blends well and give an overall very subble difference in her skin tone and eveness.

For me I use this as a finishing powder, I use liquid foundation and find that this does well in blending away streaks and mattifying the liquid. It stays on and doesn't get greasy. But because of the price, I feel like I can get a finishing powder for much less.

Bottom line: I would recomend this to someone starting out with makeup that just wants a little dusting to make a nice glowy look to the face and to even out minor dark areas and faint redness.

on 6/24/2011 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love, love, love this product. Since i discovered it, it's the only one I will use. It is very, very natural and basically looks like you have nothing on. It just kind of evens out your skin tone and takes away any shiny spots. That's exactly what I'm looking for and this stuff is the best I've ever used!

on 6/21/2011 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Buy this product if: Your someone who wants to look super natural, like you have natural clear skin and you dont wanna look like your NOT wearing make-up. ( reallysheer, but you have to SERIOUSLY build for good coverage.) I have oily, hyperpigmented skin. I am medium brown ( angela basset, janet jackson ) i am wear bronze 2