Clinique Redness Solutions Soothing Cleanser

3.3

ingredients: water/aqua/eau, squalane, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenyl trimethicone, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolymer, avena sativa (oat) kernel extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract/extrait d?orge, sucrose stearate, sea whip extract, cholesterol, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), acetyl glucosamine, ppg-20 methyl glucose ether, caffeine, propylene glycol dicaprate, caprylyl glycol, stearic acid, sodium chloride, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, polyaminopropyl biguanide, yellow 5 (ci 19140), green 5 (ci 61570), blue 1 (ci 42090).

on 4/27/2011 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I didn't hate this but I didn't love it enough to repurchase. It contained dye, to which I tend to be quite sensitive and it had a weird consistency. No thanks. There are plenty of drugstore cleansers that get the job done at a fraction of the cost- even with super-sensitive skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

IMO, this is as gentle as Cetaphil, but has a nicer more moist texture much like Mary Kay's Timewise cleanser for normal-dry skin. The MK cleanser has silly sparse exfoliation beads and has less quantity in the tube, oh and you have to buy it from a consultant. The previous two cleansers have been the best I could find for my skin. This Clinique cleanser beats them both. It's like the best of both worlds!

Pretty packaging, however I wish that the lid/cap was not so weird, has a very clean very gentle scent, a lovely cool cream gel formula, doesn't irritate or break me out, and it's easy to purchase from sephora or wherehaveyou. It is on the pricey side for a cleanser, but I'm willing to continue buying it because it's a rarity for me to find a great cleanser that both me AND my skin like :0)

Edit:

I've used almost 3/4 of the tube of this and over that time span I've realized that this breaks my skin out. From irritation, not from moisture. I get a slight warming feeling when I put this on my face and I am so disappointed that another cleanser MADE for sensitive skins would do this to me... I have given up altogether on regular cleansing and now only wear make up a couple times a week to prevent having to use a facial cleanser or soap of any kind. They all break me out. I now tone with Thayer's Alcohol free witch hazel in lue of cleansing on days I don't wear makeup and that gives me no irritation what so ever. I can use it as many times a day as I need or want!

on 2/8/2011 9:29:00 AM

No ability to cleanse the skin. Even if the skin does not have any makeup on it, this wont clean. This is nothing but a thick heavy cream and it will not rinse. It has to be wiped away. I used this 10 days and begin breaking out. (I am 50 and I NEVER break out cuz I have dry skin so go figure). Clinique recommends this product for all skin types 1, 2, 3 and 4. I would not recommend this product to anyone I know. I would be far better off to rinse my face with water than to use this. Packaging is horrible. when you close the cap you get additional product which causes you to use extra product. I cannot think of any use for this product at all. Will not purchase again.

on 10/31/2010 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love this cleanser! It takes all of my makeup off at night (yes, it says "démaquillant" on the tube, which means it takes off makeup also), yet it doesn't strip my skin or give me a dry feeling. It does exfoliate gently, just enough to clear the skin of dead cells, although thankfully it doesn't contain any grainy substance. After only a few days of using this my skin has become a lot clearer, calmer and my pores are tighter. I use this at night only. I smooth it over my face and then add a little water, just to make it a bit more slippery. Then I wipe it off with cotton pads and rinse my face with water. Together with the other products in the Redness Solution line this has helped my skin become less sensitive and to clear up. Great product.
ETA 11/29/2010: Yes, it's still a great product. Cleans my face and takes off all makeup without ever irritating or leaving my face dry. A definite HG cleanser for me!
ETA 2011/04/26: I ran out of this and thought I'd try the liquid soap and toner for a while. BIG mistake. While the soap was okay and felt good on my skin, the toner made my skin super sensitive after just 2 uses. It became red, dry, hot and irritated and I couldn't use any moisturizer for several days. What a nightmare. And that was the level 1 toner! I don't think I'll ever stray from the Redness Solutions products again. They work so well for me and my skin loves them.

on 10/20/2010 3:32:00 PM

This is the only facial cleanser I have used to date that doesn't give me a tightening feeling on my cheeks. Since using it paired with the Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream I haven't had a flair up after cleansing. Clinique's facial cleanser for sensitive skin and foaming cleanser are both way to harsh for me, so if sensitive facial cleansers are really drying on you then this may work for you.

on 10/16/2010 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have very sensitive, dry, dermatitis-prone Rosacean skin. And in general my skin absolutely hates Clinique skincare products; they either irritate my skin or dry it out. And believe me, I tried them all... But I do love Clinique makeup=P
I was given a generous sample of this Redness Solutions Soothing Cleanser. Af first I was reluctant to use it but now it's being colder my skin is feeling very dry so I thought I'd just give it a try.
Remember this is a cleanser, not a makeup-remover. So it's not designed to take off heavy makeup; just to gently cleanse your face in the morning or at night if you aren't wearing any heavy and/or long-wearing mu.
I used this in the morning; just massage a little bit on dry skin, then rinse off. My face felt comfortable; clean but not stripped or dry. The texture is quite pleasant; sort of gel-creamy with a faint, fresh smell.
After a few days of using this cleanser my face felt less dry and more smooth. Of course no topical product is able to diminish Rosacea redness but I felt my skintone appeared a tad more even-toned than usual. I also didn't notice any breaking out or irritation. In short: very nice, soothing, gentle cleanser but I'm not sure whether or not to purchase a full-sized tube because IMO it's very expensive for a basic, gentle cleanser. However given the fact there aren't a lot of gentle cleansers agreeing with my skin I might get myself a tube if I can't find a cheaper alternative.
But Clinique, well done. For once you designed a skincare product my finicky skin actually likes;-)
One more comment: there's nothing in this cleanser providing (mild) exfoliation; which in my opinion is a good thing. Having fragile skin I wouldn't want to exfoliate my skin daily; certainly not with a physical scrub.
Update: I actually bought the full-sized tube. It is a really nice, gentle cleanser and my finicky skin likes it.

on 10/15/2010 11:45:00 AM

A great cleanser for my rosacea prone skin that also calms my acne and seems to make my skin look less blotchy and more flawless, and makes my skin feel comfortable and supple. Helps with radiance due to the mild exfoliation, which helps as using seperate exfoliator always causes some slight temporary redness and burning sensation so its nice not really needing to use it anymore.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A cleanser isn't going to do anything to tone down redness, however this doesn't provoke or irritate my skin either. This is a very mild, gentle cleanser, great if you don't wear a lot of makeup, or good to use in the morning. This won't remove makeup because it lacks detergents, which is why it's great for sensitive skin. This smells so fresh, and clean, but in a subtle way. The consistency is a gel/cream, which doesn't lather. One of Clinique's best cleansers!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

So I went back to Clinique to return a "foaming" cleanser that didn't work only to be talked into buying this cleanser that doesn't work either. *sigh*. Not sure if it really calms the redness, I only used it once or twice and I didn't really see a difference in my skin. One thing I do know for sure is that it doesn't clean. After I washed my face with it, I still had makeup & oil on my face. I guess I'll just go back to the mild face soap, seeing as that seems to be the only Clinique cleanser that actually cleans.

I have pretty sensitive skin which always tends to be red, so I bought a tube of this in hopes that it would bring down the redness, or at least just be gentle on my skin. This is *very* gentle, but it does a great job in my opinion of taking off makeup (although I suggest you try to take as much off with makeup remover first). It leaves my skin feeling fairly comfortable, although my redness has not gone down. That could always just be because I'm not using the other redness solutions products with it, though.

I don't like the packaging much, though. There's some weird opening in the packaging so you don't have to screw off the cap, just twist a bit and product comes out. This is nice, but I don't like that once I twist it closed, more product comes out. Just make sure you take a bit less than what you want so when the cleanser comes out at the end you're not wasting product.