Prescriptives Foundation brush

4.5

on 1/18/2006 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Once I found something that I like to wear on my face (Prescriptives "Traceless"), I was smart enough to purchase "THE BRUSH" that my MA used to get such a flawless result. I LOVE THIS BRUSH. It is actually FUN to apply makeup with this!!

on 1/10/2006 4:59:00 PM

I first purchased my Foundation Brush eons ago. I think it was when it was first introduced. I liked the idea of not using my fingers for application of a foundation and I hated sponges even more.

I've never had a problem with my brush and still have mine to this day. It's never shed any hairs and the foundation application goes much smoothly.
I highly recommend this and it's part of my HG!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I first purchased this brush in 1998. To this day I have not replaced it. I have purchased a few extra of the same brand and make, but still have the original I purchased.

Some people have expressed difficulty with the application of product by this brush and similar negative reviews. For brushes, this is about mid-level expense. Buy a $60 or $70 powder brush, have a former client steal it, then we'll talk about expensive . . .

I'm not sure how you're using the brush to apply product. With these style brushes, I recommend pouring a little foundation on the side or top of your hand (to warm it) and dragging the brush through that product, using the side rather than end of the brush bristles. The product always goes on smoothly for me . . . be sure you're wearing moisturizer. Some people have success with dotting or striping foundation on the face and blending, but I think that almost defeats the purpose of using a brush. You want to sweep foundation over your face, not apply spackle here. With some liquids you must blend in more than one direction in order to achieve smooth, consistent coverage, usually that is blending downward (toward the chin) our out (away from the center of the face). Some streaking make occur if you're working with long-wear/oil control product. This tends to dry very quickly and requires swiftly applying with the brush before the foundation dries entirely.

Anyhow, point is, if properly cared for, this brush should last a very long time. If you're using oil-control or "long wear" foundations, it may go by the wayside a bit early, but considering I've applied everything in the world with mine, it's still as beautiful as the day I purchased it.

The trick with longevity is to wash the brush regularly. This also diminishes the buildup of bacteria and dirt, which have horrendous effects on oily or acne prone skins. I only wash my brushes in shampoo (don't bother spending money on brush cleaners, which typically dry it out and destroy the brushes ultimately). I generally get some "moisturizing" variety of shampoo, wet the brush bristles (only) a bit, work a little shampoo into the edge of the bristles and watch as the foundation dissolves. I rinse well (using the palm or side of my hand to work water into the bristles) NEVER holding it under the tap or submerging it in water. I then carefully pat the bristles with a hand towel, apply a touch of hair conditioner and set the brush over the edge of the sink to dry.

I have heard makeup artists (sales associates) from a variety of lines recommend various spray on cleansers, "dunking" brushes in beakers of dishwashing liquid and all other hideous acts that will result in "death" of this and any other brush. I have only ever lost one brush to washing by my method and it was just a defective make of brush anyhow.

If you plan on keeping your beloved foundation brushes, offer them the care you'd offer to your own head of hair (without blow drying or hairspraying!!!).

Enjoy this product. It's probably the best investment you've made toward your personal makeup kits!

Kevin B. Shields, Freelance Makeup Artist

on 12/15/2005 3:25:00 PM

thank god i worked at a dept store at the time and got my discount because when i think about it now, $30 is a LOT to pay for brush. but as reviewed before me, it is darn worth it! i try not to use the brush a lot because i want to make it last but when i do, it is a great brush! it makes application so much faster and easier and a lot more even. and the brush is so soft, it's amazing! glad i bought it but i think i would want the discount again if i were to ever buy this again!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have been using this brush for a year now and refuse to apply my foundation any other way. I love it.

on 8/27/2005 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I can't believe i haven't reviewed this :) I've been using this for more than 3 months now, and this is the best thing I've ever added in my entire makeup process. :) love the way i can control my foundation!

on 8/20/2005 10:43:00 PM

This brush is great for using with my Armani Matte Silk Foundation. I use way less product than when applying with fingers or a sponge. It's always faster and basically foolproof to get an even finish that is well-blended. I also use it to apply concealer to my undereye area.

on 7/30/2005 3:37:00 PM

I just recently started wearing foundation, so I never tried using sponge or fingertip application. The SA at Prescriptives demonstrated the brush application to me when I purchased my foundation. I chose not to by the brush at that time and went with a much cheaper brush. I just broke down and purchased the Prescriptives brush off of Ebay a few weeks ago. This brush is amazing! I can't belive the difference from my old cheap brush. This gives a very natural look.

on 7/28/2005 7:08:00 AM

This is a nice soft brush that i bought to use with virtual matte. It is easy to work with as it has a good length handle, and is easily washed. I haven't noticed and moulting of fibres. However, used with the virtual matte, unless carefully applied it did tend to leave slight brush marks on my face. In the end I couldn't be bothered doing all the work to get the best result and now only use this brush if i have a LOT of time to kill, or need to look perfect. I wouldn't buy it again. Fingers or sponges work just as well.

on 6/5/2005 1:03:00 PM

I am using Bare Minerals foundation now, but I am keeping this brush just in case I ever go back to liquid foundation. I've had this brush for a while, and it is as good now as it was the day I purchased it. Be sure to clean it regularly and lay it flat to dry.