September 19, 2014 | 1555 users online

Fragrances - Anne Pliska

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2005 11:05:00 PM More reviews by Mariolina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was lucky enough to be able to swap for a full size bottle of this fragrance.

When I first got it, I could not wait to try it! When I finally tried it, I could not believe how amazingly good it smelled! It reminded me of a deep orangey rum mixed with spices. The warm orange note stood out though.

And the chilly vanilla for which this scent is famous, well, it's not a myth. I've never found anything like this, in any other fragrance I've tried before! It's a good vanilla (not foody though!), but it doesn't envelop you in its warmth. It's a vanilla that likes to keep distances with you, but, at the same time, likes to charm you.

I'm not a vanilla fan, never been one, so I guess this coldness about it could be an ally, but after wearing it a couple of times...I don't know..something happened. The magic stopped. I no longer feel mesmerized by it. At first I thought it'd replace Opium (which is one of my very favorite fragrances of all times!), but I was wrong.

Anné Pliska is a fragrance that needs to be understood, not just worn. My skin understood its language but didn't agree with what it had to say.

A strange ingredient started to stand out and it's what eventually turned me against Anné Pliska.

The bottle..oh well...it needs some improvement. For being such an exclusive and expensive fragrance one would think that they'd invest a bit more time (and money) on designing a worthy container for this garnet juice, but I guess they didn't feel it was necessary to focus on such a frivolous aspect of the matter. I don't like Anné Pliska's bottle. It's old, outdated, and its colors remind me of the 60s.
Lusciouscargo.com tactfully describes it as "cool retro". Ahh the selling power of words!

Hypnotic Poison by Dior has an ingredient in common with Anné Pliska, the only difference is that it's more prominent and stronger in the former rather than the latter. No wonder I was not able to stand Hypnotic Poison after using it only once!

Sorry, Anné Pliska...up for swap you go!

Advice: definitely *try* a sample of this before splurging on the bottle! This is one of those scents you're either going to love or hate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2004 5:01:00 PM More reviews by dreamstorm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I remember testing this almost exactly a year ago, when all the buzz came out on the boards, and I was a little...well, repulsed, to tell the truth. I was all set to experience an ice-cream like vanilla -- something unreasonably like Lea I suppose -- and the prospect of orange-vanilla creamsicle goodness that reviews told of made my mouth water. Swapped for a sample and was sorely disappointed. It smelled *WEIRD* to my nose -- insensey, powdery, ambery, soapy, dank and musty. So imagine my surprise when I ran across it at Nordstrom a month or so ago -- the ugly, '70s disco gold cap stood out a bit and caught my eye -- and idly spritzed some on out of curiosity, and suddenly found myself *addicted* to whatever the magical elixir was that on my wrists. Because, WOW. No seriously, wow. Gorrrrgeous. I don't know, for some reason my skin and/or nose has really opened up to more resiny/incensey scents in the last couple months, and this is now a completely different fragrance to me. The perfect blend of cindery, dark and intriguing incense & wood and regal, magestic cold marble with just the right layering of chilly vanilla on it, like a mantle of newly fallen snow (stealing adjectives from other reviews willy nilly here; my apologies, but they are just too perfect). It also has a definite (though sublte) creamsicle note (which I SWEAR my nose, open to incense or not, could not detect a year ago, no matter how much I tried!) that comes from the combination of a rummy orange (the kind found in Prada and Jardins Ottomas) combined with that vanilla. Lasting power is good for 15+ hours. This scent is mysterious, interesting, moody, evocative, gorgeous. A new holy grail for me. (Plus, despite the horrendous bottle decision, the scent is still gorgeous to look at, what with that rich, deep garnet hue of the juice inside.)

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2004 10:14:00 PM More reviews by rarebird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Has that medicinal smell like Shalimar, with a bit of an orangey/spice smell. I don't like it at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2004 4:00:00 AM More reviews by dinazad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice vanilla-y scent (and yes, if you really, really try to, you can even locate a certain chilliness), pleasant drydown. Not bad, but nothing Casmir and especially the incomparable and unattainable Shalimar haven't done before, better and in more depth and complexity. Ultimately, it's rather boring......

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2004 5:36:00 PM More reviews by zhara42

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

mmm.... woody, ambery, vanilla. HEAVY. RICH.

makes me say...

"mmmmm" a lot.

I'm still madly in Love with Porfum di Firenze Amber del Nepal, but this stuff isn't bad at all. (and is just a hint cheaper, too.)

I'd put Anne Pliska right up there in my top five, with the Amber del Nepal, Vaniglia del Madegasgar, discontinued Misha, and my shameful lemming favorite, Obsession.

(I believe all of those are in the dark, heavy amber and vanilla categories......)

Unfortunately so hard to find -

and yes, the bottle is flat out ugly - looks like a cheap Freds' Dollar Store in-house cologne.... I believe Luscious Cargo gently describes the bottle style as "retro"....

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2004 10:21:00 AM More reviews by lilacterp

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The idea of a "chilly" vanilla really piqued my interest in this fragrance when I ordered a sample from them. A few days later I received a slightly pink-orange liquid sample and I couldn't contain my excitement...until I tried it, that is. There is so much amber and patchouli in Anne Pliska to my nose, that I was flabergasted. Where was the vanilla, the sweetness, the wearability? I got a very sharp scent that was synthetic smelling and disappointing overall. The drydown was a bit better, mellowed out nicely into an amber scent, but still not my style. Lovers of amber and patchouli will really like this, but if you're looking for some vanilla like I was, don't expect it from Anne Pliska perfume.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2004 12:12:00 AM More reviews by kate8

Woody creamsicle crack, and I'm addicted. I'm lukewarm-to-blah on all of its notes individually, yet I must purchase it. It broke into my top 25 overnight. Lasts about eight hours on my skin; adoration prevents me from writing coherent sentences.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2004 12:05:00 PM More reviews by msp12

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Anne Pliska reminded me very much of Gobin Daude Jardins Ottomans and PoTL Luctor et Emergo, or perhaps I should say in retrospect that AP really needed to be broken apart into something like the latter two fragrance gems. I loved the orange creamsicle bit in AP, however what I will call the PoTL element went very awry as it turned into that notorious play-doh scent on my skin. It's really too bad, as I would be doing my wallet a tremendous favour by falling for Anne Pliska.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/16/2004 12:45:00 AM More reviews by monalisa

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This isn't my kind of fragrance. First, let me say that I am able to pull off very few orientals, period. This, imo, is a gourmand/oriental. What I don't like about it is the seemingly mix of one too many ingredients; is it a floral-oriental? Gourmand? Not sure. Too much of a good thing,maybe.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2004 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Caliburnfaire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

*Edited to add:
I forgot all about this review until I just came upon it.
It would be unfair if I had let it stand as it was.
Although the first two times I wore Anne Pliska were 'hairy', and I became as sick as a dog...that little decant sitting in my dresser kept singing its siren's song to me...and I found myself dabbing a bit on the back of my hand every night...sniffing it constantly.
I fell in love with it. It wasn't love at first sniff. It was that kind of love for a scent that grows after you've become familiar with it...and its properties.
This is a very different fragrance to me.
It's warm and enfolding. I love that orange that is threaded through the mixture that is so very complex -- at least to me.
It's an Oriental, but its one on its own terms...not BOLD and spicy...or woody. Definitely vanillic, but not soft. There's a bit of zing to this one...and it comes from more than just the orange.
An elegant scent...for the woman who wants a little more from her Oriental.
I love it.

-----------------------------------
I have read nothing but glowing reviews of this fragrance, and was lucky enough to be able to sample it before investing in a bottle.
I guess I don't care for really pungent fragrances, and...this one is pungent.
Soft? Whew! I think NOT!
I've never posted a review, before...but after wearing this fragrance, I felt compelled to.
About a half-an-hour after I applied it...sparingly---lightly...the nausea began. I used everthing I knew to use to get it off, plus showered three times...and it only got stronger.
What did it smell like to me...on me?
Those big, blocky industrial toilet bowl deodorizers...the kind you would probably find in a urinal.
*shudder*
This is possibly the worst experience I have EVER had with a fragrance.
I am truly hoping this was some kind of freak reaction on me, because I would hate to think...that so many love...something so...rank.
I really don't mean any offense to those who love it...but...GOODNESS...it was horrid, on me!!!