Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 10/5/2002 8:15:00 PM

This was originally a 5-star review, but I'm modifying it. After using it faithfully AM-n-PM for months, I finally discovered that it was giving me zits! :(
I've been using it on-and-off for years, without a problem, but after being burned by a harsh cleanser, I switched to Cetaphil full-time. It healed my skin and calmed it down when nothing else would.
And then I started breaking out in the worst way. I used to have pretty clear skin, so it was very frustrating. Turns out it was Cetaphil! Several weeks ago, I stopped using it, and my break-out ended for good. Finally!
I still think this can be a useful product for people who need something super-gentle, and are using medications, prescription products, etc. And for anyone suffering from major dryness, Cetaphil will probably help them. And it did heal my skin after I'd been "burned." So I'll give it 3 stars.
But I'm personally not going to use this anymore. Maybe when my face gets "fried" again, but even then, I may stick with Philosophy Real Purity. continued >>

on 10/4/2002 10:37:00 AM

I'm totally in love with this cleanser. It's simply the best! I have tried many different cleansers along the years but I always return to my Cetaphil, which is so gentle on my skin. It leaves my skin soft and supple after every wash. Sometimes it's a little too gentle when it comes to removing mascara, but I really don't mind. It comes at a very good price as well.

on 10/1/2002 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got this to remove my makeup. But it doesn't do a effective job and I doesn't even clean my skin well. I'm not going to spend more on this cleanser!

This was recommended in a book I read. I really didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't feel like it cleansed my skin well.
Update: I just tried this again, in a trial size, since so many people seem to enjoy it. I'll try it for awhile, but I think it was the texture that bothered me previously. It also seems to leave a residue behind (though that was taken care of by my toner). Update #2: Okay, a few days later, I can say that my chin is breaking out and the only thing I've changed is the cleanser. This does not work for me.

on 9/25/2002 8:18:00 PM

I used to use this for years. Finally I realized that as a cleanser it was good unfortantly it wasn't good at removing makeup. I don't like to use several products one to remove makeup another to cleanse so I decided to look for another cleanser to do the job. It would make a good morning cleanser but I'll just stick to Paula's Choice cleanser for now. Everyone should at least give this product a try especially if you have sensitive skin.

on 9/23/2002 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this for about three years. It's pretty good stuff. I love the price, and it does a decent job of cleaning without drying out my skin. I need to use water to wash it off (the package suggests that you can either wash or towel if off) though, otherwise it leaves a greasy residue. All round solid product.

This cleanser is very reasonably priced and lasts a while. It gets off even stubborn eye makeup gently, and it softens the skin as it cleans. Its one of the few things that my skin doesnt break out to : ) and that is always a plus!

on 9/15/2002 2:57:00 PM

This was not the product for me. I have combination skin (more oily than dry) and this left me with horrible acne---deep, under the skin bumps. Also left my skin with that greasy residue others have mentioned. Judging by the other rave reviews, I'm sure this is a good product, but it took me weeks to get my skin back to somewhat normal.

on 9/15/2002 11:44:00 AM

Very mild cleanser. Did not note any change in skin but felt that it was too gentle.

on 9/8/2002 1:06:00 PM

I must admit, the first few times I used this, I hated it. I never thought I would get used to the texture (felt like lotion on my face!), and I was convinced that my skin was not getting cleaned. But, I made myself stick with it because my skin was getting pretty sensitive. Once I got used to the feeling of Cetaphil on my skin, I actually liked it! Hmm, I haven't been without it since that day, and my skin is soft and thanking me!

Video Reviews & Tutorials