October 31, 2014 | 1582 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2010 8:16:00 PM More reviews by gigiluvsme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

WOW!! I love love love this product!! Why? Well 1st of all, I get frustrated when I buy an eye shadow and FALL crazy in love with it ONLY to apply it and it looks like a different color!! Especially, the $$$ I spend on it---this actually HELPS my shadow to last longer because I do NOT have to reapply it-therefore, saving me $$$ overall!! 2ndly, I LOVE that the color is more TRUE to the color in it's container!! Woohooo.. helping to POP out the color because it's the "TRUE" color!
I LOOVE this... it's the best thing since sliced bread!!
A little on the expensive side but it's WORTH it!! You'll save $$ in the end by not having to apply your eyeshadow 3x's in 1 day!! Usually by lunchtime, my makeup needs to be refreshed---and by the time I get home--forget it!! I'm in front of the screen all day long so my eyes really take a beating, and I commute 1.5 hours every day (round trip) so my eyes take its abuse!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2010 1:29:00 AM More reviews by risingstarVI

Although it's a little more dry and not as bendable as I like, the product does provide a clean, smooth base for eyeshadow to be applied and not budge. I hope one day the company improves the formula to be slightly more creamy so I don't have to tug at my eyelids.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2010 9:30:00 PM More reviews by x0kerbear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I went into MAC with plans of buying Bare Study paint pot because I wanted a nice shimmery base. However, when I told the makeup artist I wanted to look at the paint pots she pulled out painterly and said it was the best and she used it everyday. So, I thought hey I wanted that one too, so I got it. I am SO happy I did! It evens out my eyelids like nothing else!! It provides an awesome base for eyeshadows. However, I do find that with darker shadows I still get creasing, so I usually just use Too Faced Shadow Insurance first, then a thin layer of painterly (because I love how it evens out my eyelids) and then my shadows. I find applying it with fingers is the best way - but you only need a little bit and I just pat it gently onto my eyelid and it works perfect! I will never be without painterly, although I still want to get bare study for times when I want a shimmery base!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2010 9:36:00 PM More reviews by cheersammy23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this because I wanted to hide the veins and other discolorations on my eyelids. I like a very simple eye. I didn't really mind it's very slight shimmer. When the MUA applied this at MAC I was quite pleased. Once at home I applied with my fingers, it's consistency isn't as smooth as I hoped because it's bit dry and with a brush I had trouble too. If you don't have that problem, I have to say that this creases after an hour or too. I was told by Mac it's guaranteed to last 8 hours.

They lied.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 8:44:00 AM More reviews by fleabags3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

believe the reviews. it works well. i use it under Mac or Mary Kay shadows and they last all day. i've heard "soft ocre" works just as well, and is a better color for some ppl. so i may try that next.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2010 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Thestyleexaminer

I use Painterly every day. It keeps my eyeshadow looking fantastic and crease-free all day. I cannot imagine how I lived prior to having this. Works for many different skin types and works well for all eye shadow colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2010 11:01:00 AM More reviews by scorpio3813

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I've been remiss in reviewing this product! I love it! This is the best thing for neutralizing the red on my eyelids and making my shadow last all day. I put my eye makeup on at 6:30 a.m. and it still looks great when I take it off about 12 hours later. Worth every penny!

UPDATE 10/12/10: This is HG. I'll never be without this paint pot! Love it!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by makeupmakesmehappy

This is a nice product to have as it neutralises your lid before applying eyeshadows and eyeliners. I find with other primers such as Urban Decay Primer Potion that, while it is an excellent primer, it is too translucent to create an even colour base. Painterly does that job nicely, which is why I usually prime with UDPP and then add a thin even coating of Painterly on top so that I have an even base colour to apply my eyeshadow onto. I am still experimenting with the best way to apply Painterly as I have found that when applying it with my finger it can cake sometimes and if I apply it with a small brush I cannot blend it in very well. I guess I will just have to keep trying to get it right, but if anyone has any suggestions for application I would love to hear them!

Painterly is a beautiful, muted nude colour, with absolutely no shimmer whatsoever to speak of. If I want shimmer as a base I use MAC paint in Bare Canvas. Painterly has quite a thick consistency, which can make it quite difficult to blend. I have quite pale skin and I would say Painterly is a couple of shades darker than my skin tone, but I can still use it on my eyes without making them too dark.

It is pricey but then again all MAC products are. But the quality is very good and you get so much in the pot. I doubt I will ever use it all up. If I did use it all up I would most likely purchase again, especially if I work out how to apply it a bit better. The packaging is quite good as it is a screw cap and is therefore probably almost completely airtight, but this product could dry out as it has a fairly dry consistency anyway. This is one product which I know is fabulous but which is let down slightly by my inexperience of applying it!

If you're not sure about this product get a sample as it will probably last you a good while!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2010 2:10:00 PM More reviews by aznbunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great texture. Serves as a good base for e/s (they don't fade or crease) but the PPT has tried out WAY too quickly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 1:35:00 PM More reviews by trisheee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Where have you been all my life??? Had I known how this paint pot would transform my lids I would have bought it the day it came out! What's to say? It's perfect in every way! My eyelids need major help and I swear this takes 10 years off the look of my eyes when use it! I look tired and ill without it...LOL! Sad, but true! This just brightens and opens my eyes up! Not to mention how beautifully eyeshadow adheres to it with zero creasing. I sometimes wear this with no eyeshadow (or just a little at the crease for dimention) when I want that no makeup look as it appears utterly gorgeous just on its own! Fresh, natural and perfect! There are items you can't put a price on, and for me, this is one of them! LOVE IT and will NEVER be without it again!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No