September 17, 2014 | 1965 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by makeupmakesmehappy

This is a nice product to have as it neutralises your lid before applying eyeshadows and eyeliners. I find with other primers such as Urban Decay Primer Potion that, while it is an excellent primer, it is too translucent to create an even colour base. Painterly does that job nicely, which is why I usually prime with UDPP and then add a thin even coating of Painterly on top so that I have an even base colour to apply my eyeshadow onto. I am still experimenting with the best way to apply Painterly as I have found that when applying it with my finger it can cake sometimes and if I apply it with a small brush I cannot blend it in very well. I guess I will just have to keep trying to get it right, but if anyone has any suggestions for application I would love to hear them!

Painterly is a beautiful, muted nude colour, with absolutely no shimmer whatsoever to speak of. If I want shimmer as a base I use MAC paint in Bare Canvas. Painterly has quite a thick consistency, which can make it quite difficult to blend. I have quite pale skin and I would say Painterly is a couple of shades darker than my skin tone, but I can still use it on my eyes without making them too dark.

It is pricey but then again all MAC products are. But the quality is very good and you get so much in the pot. I doubt I will ever use it all up. If I did use it all up I would most likely purchase again, especially if I work out how to apply it a bit better. The packaging is quite good as it is a screw cap and is therefore probably almost completely airtight, but this product could dry out as it has a fairly dry consistency anyway. This is one product which I know is fabulous but which is let down slightly by my inexperience of applying it!

If you're not sure about this product get a sample as it will probably last you a good while!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2010 2:10:00 PM More reviews by aznbunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great texture. Serves as a good base for e/s (they don't fade or crease) but the PPT has tried out WAY too quickly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 1:35:00 PM More reviews by trisheee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Where have you been all my life??? Had I known how this paint pot would transform my lids I would have bought it the day it came out! What's to say? It's perfect in every way! My eyelids need major help and I swear this takes 10 years off the look of my eyes when use it! I look tired and ill without it...LOL! Sad, but true! This just brightens and opens my eyes up! Not to mention how beautifully eyeshadow adheres to it with zero creasing. I sometimes wear this with no eyeshadow (or just a little at the crease for dimention) when I want that no makeup look as it appears utterly gorgeous just on its own! Fresh, natural and perfect! There are items you can't put a price on, and for me, this is one of them! LOVE IT and will NEVER be without it again!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by citygirl21

I love this product! I use it as a primer and it really does make your eye shadow last all day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by tatt2thruandthru

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

A staple for evening out the lids. Texture is workable ONLY when I use it in conjunction with UDPP, then it slides on and blends out like butter! Again this is fabulous product as long as I use it with UDPP. Fairly opaque, nice texture and great with my light skintone.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by photographsNwhite08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

At first, I received a sample...probably a teaspoon in a 5 gram jar. That TINY amount lasted me around 6 months until it dried out. CRAZY. This product is super creamy and it's the perfect match for my lids. It covers greatly, hiding all of the veins, darkness and discoloration on my lids. For me, I have sensitive and/or combination/dry skin, it lasts just about all day long. There are times, depending on the eye shadow that I use, when it will tend to crease, BUT that is after like...12 hours of wearing it on my lids. I may have to take a blending eye shade with a blending brush and blend it together and make it last, but that's it. I bought the full size recently because it was something that I found myself absolutely needing after my sample dried out, and I had the extra money to purchase it. I use nothing else to prime my eye shadows and I am in love with this product. it will more than likely last me forever and that's one of the great things about this product. You do not have to use a whole lot to cover both of your lids at all, so it will last a long time. I say, YES I would definitely repurchase, but ONLY if I have the money. I think for the paintpot, shipping, and tax this cost me around $23 and some change and I hate paying that much for one item. But it's definitely something worth investing in.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by MyChanelScalpel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wonderful as an eyelid primer, makes shadows last all day but does tend to dull their pigmentation slightly. When I'm not feeling up to a full makeup look, I slip this on my lids alone and it really makes my eyes pop. It is slightly darker than my fair skin, but almost totally "nude" feeling. Some complain of these cream shadows drying out, because they last so long that is bound to happen- but storing them upside down prolongs their shelf life greatly! Creamy and wonderful, a product I will repurchase again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 2:24:00 PM More reviews by Daantje3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This is the mac product i love most. It keeps my e/s on all day long without creasing, it brightens and smoothens my eyearea and on lazy days i even use it as a concealer.
Best primer/base i've ever tried

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 11:46:00 AM More reviews by FacciaBella5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this every day as a base before my eyeshadow. Thick but easy to blend. Prevents your shadow from creasing all day! Especially useful in the summer when skin can be more moist. Love this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 9:22:00 AM More reviews by LauraJean396

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great base! I love how it mattifies my eyelid as well as neutralizes any redness! It also helps colors stick to the eyelid and not budge! Most used paint pot in my collection.