November 28, 2014 | 1962 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by nikkohli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my HG foundation. I have oily skin with slight scarring on my cheeks. My skin looks FLAWLESS with this. Here's my breakdown:

Price: It is kind of expensive but a little goes a LONG way. Also, this covers so nicely that I barely even use my MUFE full coverage concealer anymore so I am saving $30 on that.

Packaging- I like the squeeze bottle. It is easy to squeeze out a teeny bit to use as a spot concealer or enough for your whole face. I usually apply with my fingers and this package keeps the makeup germ free.

Coverage--medium to full. A little goes a long way so if you want light coverage, a wet sponge would easily give enough coverage with a minimum amount of product. I need full coverage and this goes on very smoothly (with Smashbox light primer on first) but I am still not using a ton of product or feeling cake-y. I set it with Smashbox HD powder.

Wear: I put this on at 6:30 AM and usually don't wash it off until 8pm. Now, I do touch ups during the day but my face does NOT look completely greasy (like it did with Smashbox Camera Ready and Benefit Playstick) and it is still covering imperfections. Do I have a little shine 5 hours later? Yes, but this is makeup, not miracles. A quick dusting of HD powder and it looks as good as new. If I don't get a chance to touch up, I dont feel self-conscious because I know this makeup is getting the job done......it just looks better with a touch up.

This probably is drying to those prone to dry skin--I have (bad, I know!) fallen asleep with this on (only once or twice!) and my face still felt matte the next AM. I use this with a pore minimizing moisturizer and primer and it glides right on.

My skin has never looked better--shine-free, illusion of a clear complexion, no new breakouts and surprising a great color match (I have pale skin with a yellow undertone). I wear #30 in the winter and #40 in the summer. I bought # 40 in June and wore it until about September and still have about 25% left in the bottle. Like I mentioned above, I need A LOT of coverage so that tells you how far this product goes for the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2011 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Natalie13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This was my favorite foundation for almost a year. It covered my acne spots and beautifully smoothed my large pores to perfection. I didn't mind the price ($34) seeing as the tube lasted me well into the year. The packaging isn't so horrible, but it may sometimes leak once you open the cap, wasting product. I did like that it is a squeeze tube, controlling how much you pour out, and never breaking like the usual glass packaging in many foundations. What it did lack, for me, was its staying power. At first, I would apply and powder set to face a day of polished skin. Towards the end, my oils would peak out to belittle me. I have since found a replacement, Revlon Colorstay, which doesn't cover as heavily as Mat Velvet, but with Colorstay, I never have a need to blot. Revlon is cheaper for my college-student-friendly budget, than MUFE. I would only recommend this foundation for going on a nice, brief night out, as the finish is worth using this foundation over.

I've read others reviews that it exemplifies dry areas, it does, and so can most foundations. I always exfoliate, and moisturize before applying foundation to create the best coverage. Remove the rough top skin layer and it'll create a canvas great enough to apply foundation!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Intermission

First time using this foundation, it seemed like i have never used anything better.
I picked up a sample of the best matching color to my skin - shade 30 (the color selection is extremely limited) so it took me a while to pick the best match, even with the help of another makeup artist.
light to med. coverage, does not cover under eye circles or acne spots, two very important things.
makes me look like im wearing a ton of power even w/ the thinnest layer "every dry spot and/or flake will look much worse than it really is." this comment is very true.
made me look dull and in the sun light turned out the only color that fit me...was way too yellow.
too bad :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Lissettephoto

FINALLY!!! I have found the PERFECT foundation. Having tried everything from Mac to Clinique, Estee Lauder, and drugstore brands this is by far the best. It doesn't break me out at all which is huge considering I have pretty sensitive and acne prone skin. Last year my skin was thrown out of whack and I still have some dark marks but once I put this on, you would never be able to tell. Usually within 2 hours of applying my foundation, my skin is like an oil slick but this foundation stays nice and matte all day. I only have to pat my forehead towards the end of a day. It's a bit pricey but a little goes a long way and it is totally worth every penny. Will definitely be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 1:26:00 PM More reviews by tubularr

I am in LOVE with this foundation! I got it because Tiffany D kept talking about it and she's my favorite guru and everything I bought off of her recommendation (especially foundations), usually work for me. I didn't think that I'd buy anymore foundations after finding my HG foundation, which is MUFE HD, but I had to try this once because I have very oily skin. I don't think this foundation controls oil, but I think it stops oil for a good amount of time, which is about 3-4 hours for me. If I use this with Smashbox's Anti-Shine then I am literally shine free for the whole day, but I don't do that often cause I'd be too matte and then dry. For those of you who are looking for a glow or some sort of sheen of some sort, don't even look at this foundation! It says MAT (matte) for a reason! Also, dry people should stay very far away, it will emphasize dry areas. I love this foundation because it looks SO natural! I didn't think it would look this natural. I thought the HD foundation was natural, but that makes your face look natural, but flawless. This foundation is just straight natural. It covers my redness and slight acne scarring. I apply this with my fingers because I find this foundation doesn't spread easily with a brush. Also, I don't feel like I have foundation AT ALL. :) It lasts a good amount of time for me. I started using this foundation on school days (because it's more natural and cheaper) and HD on special events. My beloved NARS SG is now sadly just sitting on my makeup desk, but I sometimes use it when I'm going to hang out or run errands. I LOVE this foundation and will repurchase! Second HG, next to HD. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by akn8v

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the plastic squeeze bottle...hygienic, doesn't take up much space in the makeup bag, and great for travel. The coverage, wear, and finish is good for oily/combo skin. I do not recommend this if you have dry skin. I would say it is medium-light coverage but can be layered up to full. Not cakey or mask like but I use the least amount of product I can get away with. NOTE: exfoliate and thoroughly hydrate or moisturize your face prior to putting this on...no negotiation. Otherwise, every dry spot and/or flake will look much worse than it really is. I use a primer first and then follow up with a dusting of loose powder. LOVE IT! I have to blot my forehead and nose a couple of times/day but that's the story of my life.
EDIT: I will only wear this when the weather is cool/cold/freezing. This doesn't last in heat.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by guerrac23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have to say that I am a collector of foundations. I have everything from Revlon photo ready, colorstay to MUFE HD, nars sheer glow, and my go to MUFE Matte Velvet Plus.
As far the packaging, I think it's ok, simply because of the way that I apply the foundation (clean fingers). I use clean fingers just because the heat from my fingertips helps the foundation blend in better than with a brush and really it only takes me about 1 minute to cover my face completely and evenly.
It does keep my face matte all day, especially when I set it with my MUFE HD powder. This really is my go to foundation when I need a quick face, just because the coverage is medium to full ***and doesnt look cakey***, keeps me shine free, and matches my skin very well, and very easy to blend with my fingers! =0) I will definitely be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 4:55:00 AM More reviews by afz13

This product is soo amazing! It makes my acne prone and discolored skin look great.I dont even need to use conceler.It lasts all day without needing to be set by a powder. Its worth the money. I do suggest a primer or moisturizer before puting the product on, otherwise it doesnt blend well.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 4:29:00 AM More reviews by mbarrxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and, I must say, this is the best of the best for my skin type. I've tried the NARS Sheer Matte and that still left me very oily, shiny, and it felt heavy on my face. This is like nothing else I've ever tried. The packaging could use a little improvement and the opening often leaves me with too much product than I wanted with one soft squeeze. No biggie for me though. It's definitely worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by aelaura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is currently my HG foundation. I love the matte finish for my oily skin. I can see how it would emphasize and flaky patches, however I just moisturize well beforehand and it goes on smoothly. I apply this using a damp sponge which I think also helps it go on smoothly. It lasts all day on me with maybe only one or two blottings in between (with other foundations I have to blot every couple hours it seems).

My only problem with this foundation is that I still need to use a concealer. I don't have too many blemishes but I have a lot of acne scarring and this doesn't cover them enough for my taste, which kind of bothers me considering it's marketed as full-coverage. However I will still repurchase since it's so hard to find foundations that 1) control oil and 2)don't break me out.

For reference, I am about an NC 30/35 and use shade 40.