October 25, 2014 | 1849 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 4:55:00 AM More reviews by afz13

This product is soo amazing! It makes my acne prone and discolored skin look great.I dont even need to use conceler.It lasts all day without needing to be set by a powder. Its worth the money. I do suggest a primer or moisturizer before puting the product on, otherwise it doesnt blend well.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 4:29:00 AM More reviews by mbarrxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and, I must say, this is the best of the best for my skin type. I've tried the NARS Sheer Matte and that still left me very oily, shiny, and it felt heavy on my face. This is like nothing else I've ever tried. The packaging could use a little improvement and the opening often leaves me with too much product than I wanted with one soft squeeze. No biggie for me though. It's definitely worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by aelaura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is currently my HG foundation. I love the matte finish for my oily skin. I can see how it would emphasize and flaky patches, however I just moisturize well beforehand and it goes on smoothly. I apply this using a damp sponge which I think also helps it go on smoothly. It lasts all day on me with maybe only one or two blottings in between (with other foundations I have to blot every couple hours it seems).

My only problem with this foundation is that I still need to use a concealer. I don't have too many blemishes but I have a lot of acne scarring and this doesn't cover them enough for my taste, which kind of bothers me considering it's marketed as full-coverage. However I will still repurchase since it's so hard to find foundations that 1) control oil and 2)don't break me out.

For reference, I am about an NC 30/35 and use shade 40.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by neko90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Although it's on the expensive side for such a small bottle, but with Mat Velvet I don't need concealers any more. Just one layer using a foundation brush covers my reddish and brownish splotches. Colour is a good match for my skin tone. My skin looks perfectly airbrushed in pictures. But, there are a few bad points about this product. It rubs off easily. Since I use foundation on my neck to match my face, I find that it ends up on my shirt collars at the end of the day. It could be washed out but still, rather annoying. My skin is combi- oily forehead and dry cheeks, and oil control is so-so. Sometimes it even clings to and accentuates my dry spots. And after reading about so many people breaking out after using this, I don't think this product is meant to be worn daily. It's more for photography/modelling/etc purposes--worn for a few hours and then washed off. It gives you a mask-like look in person, but in pictures it looks great.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 12:41:00 AM More reviews by Amsi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin, large pores, acne and acne scars. This review will be geared more towards those with similar skin types. I'm an NC42 and use shade 55. This is more neutral and less yellow than the MAC NC shades.
...
I use this product with a duo-fiber stippling brush, which is my favorite way to get even coverage without using too much product. The coverage is pretty good, but since this is full coverage, it *looks* like you're wearing makeup. The finish isn't too matte, and I still set it with a powder. The pigmentation is good and a little bit seems to go a long way. I also like the squirt tube packaging since it's not messy.
...
Does it last through the day? I've tried this foundation alone as well as with different types of priming products and no matter which combination of products I use, I still get oily an hour or two later. If you have really oily skin, this will not stop your body from producing oil, and it can look a little muddy at then end of the day. For the price tag, I expected a little more.
...
Overall, the pigmentation and coverage are pretty good and a stippling brush is like a magic wand when used with this foundation (at least with my skin) . This covers acne scars and discoloration pretty well.I like that this product has a squirt tube rather than an open top. However, for those of you who have really oily skin, this product isn't that much better in terms of lasting power than Revlon Colorstay or MAC's Studio Fix Fluid, which are both cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2010 9:05:00 AM More reviews by sdhoffmann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this foundation. I always use Smashbox Photo Finish primer first and then apply the foundation using my fingers. I do find that I use only a tiny amount of the this for full coverage and that finger application is the way to go for a more natural finish. It doesn't transfer at all for me and lasts a good 12 to 16 hours if applied over primer. I use a tiny amount of MUFE HD powder to set and I don't touch up my makeup at all during the day. Doesn't settle in fine lines and I don't need a concealer with this. If you have yellow undertones in you skin this is a fabulous long-wearing foundation. I had tried to use EL DW before trying this and could not get a color match. All EL DW foundation colors have pink undertones. If you want a long-wearing foundation that will give you a flawless finish and you have yellow undertones MUFE Mat Velvet Plus is the HG.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by soclutch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really dislike this foundation. It's strange that it is "matifying", but once it dries onto my skin it then takes on a polished doll look (my skin feels matte, but I look like I have a sheen on polish on my skin).

It does control oil so for those with really oily skin this is the product for you. The coverage states that it is medium, but you really have to use A LOT of foundation to get that "medium" coverage and it wastes a lot of the product. Personally, I think matte foundations are terrible in general, but this one definitely takes the cake. I do like the HD foundation though...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'd heard good things about this product, but for the price i would say its performance is really very, very average! The coverage is quite heavy and i feel like i'm wearing a lot of make-up on my face with this one. I much prefer the lightweight feel of Dior Skin Nude, GA Lasting Silk and even Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick (which to me all give a similar look to the skin). I'd say the best bit about this foundation is that it doesn't age the look of your skin and if anything makes you look younger! Its more of a cakey, makeupy teenage foundation-but just one you pay more for! I wish i'd of just got a sample instead of buying the product.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by heyLYLAxoxox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like this. With a name like "Mat Velvet" and with the praise that Tiffany D. gives it, I had high hopes.

I actually purchased this foundation about a year ago and forgot about it in my makeup stock, probably because it was too light for me. After watching Tiffany D. videos where she raves about it, I figured it might be a good idea to fish it back out.

The shade I have, Porcelain - 30 - is a great match for my skin (for reference, I'm an NC15 in MAC's Studio Fix and 150 - Buff in Revlon Colorstay). The coverage is initially AMAZING, but within about 2 hours I'm super oily and my foundation is gone.

Now, part of my issue may be that I no longer use a makeup primer. I had used Smashbox Photo Finish Light and MAC's Prep+Prime (eew, ugly sparkles) previously, but I never really noticed a difference with them. Perhaps those that use a primer might have better luck, although I CAN say that I don't use a primer with my Revlon ColorStay and I don't have any of the problems I have with the MUFE Mat Velvet.

Like I said, I really wanted to like it...but considering that I found my HG in a foundation that's $25 less expensive, I can't justify a shiny face 2 hours into my makeup day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2010 2:01:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I am reviewing a sample of this.
First of all they don't have a good color for me. The best match was #40 which is for medium-light with yellow undertones. It is a little too dark and orange and they don't have one for light with yellow undertones. It doesn't look natural at all, it settles in my fine lines, doesn't have good coverage and it gets oily fast for being a matte foundation.