April 23, 2014 | 1787 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by kmcool2007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I prefer EL DW. I have dehydrated skin and this product showed it a lot more than EL DW. I also could not find a good color match!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by krysrinkle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have VERY OILY skin and am on the hunt for the perfect foundation to this day and this is not the one! Im fair skin and this was very orange on my skin even the light color! Also it does not blend well and looks cakey more than ive seen with any foundation i have used and ive used quite a few!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Lovey99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a GREAT product. I have extremely oily skin, and this products keeps the oilies at bay. Of course, nothing will keep your skin perfectly matte if you have VERY oily skin. This foundation is silky and smooth. It gives you a wonderful satin finish.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 5:40:00 PM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First, let me establish that when it comes to foundation, my skin is a nightmare to match. MAC NC15 & NW15 are both way too dark. Everything else is, too, for that matter. Only L'Oréal True Match in W1 has managed to be both light enough with the correct very light yellow tone - and it's a pity, because I just do not care for its finish worn over the various sunscreens I've tried underneath it, or in any light at all. Mt Velvet in the lightest No. 15 Alabaster shade is the second-closest shade & tone match I've come across. The finish is PRETTY.

Also, I think the key to making this foundation work is wearing the appropriate product underneath it. Too matte a foundation primer lends a dry, chalky finish - and too thick and/or sticky of a sunscreen worn underneath will likely have the foundation looking likewise thick & detectable. For what it's worth, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid was a great SPF match for this one: thin & watery is the way to go. Anthélios Fluide Extreme SPF 50 or Kiehl's Super Fluide SPF 50 are two more examples of this type of sunscreen. Result: dewy, natural-looking finish that may require a light powder touch-up. It looks like I'm not even wearing anything.

Please do what I did & head to Sephora for a free sample of this SPF to take home, & try it over one of the above sunscreens. If you've tried the Mat Velvet over something else & hated it, this small adjustment might make all the difference.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ElaineLuvsMakeup

I really love this foundation. I bought a color that was slightly too dark for me and went with a 30 or 35 the second time around which was much better (I am a MAC NC 25-30). I had a 45 or 50 the first time I bought it, which made me look oddly ashen.

Things I love about this foundation - covers mild hyperpigmentation well, has a relatively mat finish, and has medium to full coverage. It doesn't cover extreme hyperpigmentation, such as if you have a bright red pimple or if you have very dark under eye circles. However, if your skin is relatively okay with some fading scars, this is great.

I always use a mattifying lotion before I put on this foundation. Staying power is so-so. It rubs off easily on clothing and I usually blot it a bit with a tissue after I apply this foundation.

A little goes a long way and I use small dots of this foundation along my cheeks to blend outwards and up with clean fingers. I would NOT use a foundation brush for this because it would be way too thick and cakey.

On hot days it can get a bit shiny and greasy by mid-day but during cold weather seasons it's perfect.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2010 12:09:00 PM More reviews by talentless

this has great coverage and a beautiful natural looking finish when freshly applied, but it just doesn't last on my skin. this is supposed to be for oily skin but I have combination skin and the finish doesn't even last on my dry cheeks, much less my oily nose. I want to love this and I've considered trying it with a primer or different setting power, but if its supposed to control oil and last than I don't feel I should have to.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 12:04:00 PM More reviews by tatt2thruandthru

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is an ok foundation, maybe a little less than ok for me. I would not repurchase. The coverage is nice but you really have to work it well and work it quick. It is VERY matte, there is no give even if you use a wet sponge for application. I don't feel it is a flattering matte look, but moreso a chalky matte...and if you don't blend just right it looks like spray paint. (FYI using Fix+ only sheers out the coverage for me rather than dew it up.) I suppose the only real pro is that it does last the day but that aspect to me is not worth looking like a dry two dimensional character. I'd rather reapply, touch up and blot than look like that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2010 11:17:00 PM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

BEST full-coverage liquid foundation I've tried for oily/combo skin.

I used to use Clinique Superfit, but after I while I found out that it faded and didn't have as much oil control. So... I kind of strayed from liquid foundations because they just didn't work as well as powder foundation or mineral makeup.

This product is capable of a full coverage so it will be cakey of you don't use it right. I do NOT recommend using a typical foundation (paintbrush) brush. I suggest using the highlighting brush (skunk, stipple, or MAC 187 are all the same) by Sonia Kashuk at Target. Squeeze some on the back of your hand or finger, dab it where you need it (couple dots on the nose, around the mouth, few on the forehead), then stipple it in with your brush. You can also try using your four fingers in a patting motion and just pat it in slowly, that's the same motion as with the brush.

If you need to conceal a certain area, dab more there, and use the same stippling motion.

I always wear full coverage, and I'm satisfied with this foundation. Very satisfied, actually. My nose never gets too shiny when I wear this. I do set it, because it's a liquid, but even if I don't right away, I can tell it has dried to a matte powder finish (I've never had this happen with any other liquid foundation). I set it with a very FINE and TRANSLUCENT loose powder (Make Up For Ever HD powder- white). I suggest the travel size; it's half the price AND half the product, and it looks like it'll last me like 2 years (extremely finely milled, just need a tiny bit).

I usually wear mineral makeup but I plan on using this for special occasions or for quick applications- it's fewer steps than with my mineral makeup!

I almost gave up completely on liquid foundations until I tried this. I had a sample of MUFE HD and it did NOT compare. It felt like any other liquid make-up, my oil went through, the coverage was mediocre. This is awesome! Oh, it is very matte so I recommend a bronzer that gives you a little "glow."

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2010 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Marian93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

awful! i hate this foundation.
1. makes me oily
2. doesn't last
3. doesn.'t cover redness or blemishes
4. looks CAKEY!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

Tentatively one of my favorite foundations, although it's not perfect because it is a little TOO matte (deathly!matte) and it's a bit hard to find a color match. I'm NC25-30, very warm, and I fall somewhere between 30 and 40.

It has med-heavy coverage (I wouldn't use this for daytime at work, but I do use it for dance performances, parties, etc.), a smooth finish (really does look airbrushed!) and goes on like a liquid but dries into a more powdery texture. It works perfectly for me because I have oily skin and tend to be super shiny with most liquid foundations. I do NOT recommend this fdtn for dry or mature skin because it is very matte and will emphasize creases.

This foundation seems to work best when applied with a brush instead of a finger or a sponge. I personally like using a flat-topped brush to swirl it into the skin, but some people like using a sponge or a BB. It's also quite buildable in case you feel like you need more coverage. It also looks smooth and natural in photos, which is a plus!