January 25, 2015 | 1617 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2011 6:51:00 AM More reviews by missklinck

This product was just ok...I bought it over the summer, and the color is too dark for me to use right now. I am impressed with the level of coverage (medium - full). I do not think that this foundation lives up to its name though, because it does not keep you matte, and I am not very oily. I would repurchase, however, because it is a nice option when you want a full coverage foundation. I have since replaced this product with MUFE HD foundation, which I prefer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by jenam

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! It keeps my skin looking matte for at least half the day which is amazing for me. I wear No. 30 and it is a good match for my fair-light skin. It has great coverage but I do have to apply it quickly... it seems to set fast. I would recommend this foundation for anyone with oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by supergir

I loved this product!!
It does do what it claims its suppose to do. I have oily skin and this product managed to keep me oil-free all day. It stays put all day. Even when I sweat at the gym. If you use M.U.F.E. HD powder, you'll look flawless, even in pictures.
It's full coverage so your redness and breakouts will be covered. You'll only need a small amount.
I was not fond of the packaging at first. I've gotten used to the pump kinds from Smashbox. But after a while you'll get used to it. It is $6 cheaper than M.U.F.E. HD foundation so I believe it's expensive. However, if you DO have oily skin that's acne prone and want full coverage, this is the product to go for.
I have to say though, that if you want a cheaper alternative to this product go for Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation with Skin Clearing Complex. It does all what Mat Velvet Plus does, but it lacks the full coverage and it does keep your skin clear. And it's only $7 tops at most drugs stores.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by vintagepeople

I looove this stuff. I always use it when I want to look absolutely flawless. I do find that (and this is probably really obvious) the way this goes on depends drastically on how you prep your face. I always use Photo Finish, but I need to exfoliate if I want to use this because it accentuates every little dry spot (I have combination skin that's flaky dry in some places and an oil slick in others). On sunny days the matte-ness of this doesn't really live up to expectations, either, and the heaviness of it makes me think this wouldn't be very good for summertime. Regardless, when I have the time and inclination to fully do my face this is always the foundation I reach for.

Edit: Mat Velvet is seriously saving my life right now. I switched to Face Architect for every day, but I'm going through the breakout from hell, so I've been using this and it has just enough coverage to make me feel okay about showing my face, but not so much that I look like a mask. So happy that I have this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2011 12:04:00 AM More reviews by jenna38

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this foundation after hearing the reviews of it and paying the expensive price, but its .... meh. It did keep my skin matte throughout the entire day, however the formula is super thick. I always ended up applying way more than i needed. So i mixed it with a bit of moisturizer to make it a thinner consistency, and it is much better now. I set it with powder in my t-zone, and my skin is matte the entire day.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2011 7:35:00 PM More reviews by ESTHETICIANNM

I was so excited to try this stuff...I was up for a new foundation. I did so much research as always and can say I was very sad to waste my time and money on this foundation. It was very cakey. My boyfriend right away noticed I had a new foudation on LOL and not for the right reasons. I did notice it also highlights my random dry areas. (How can i be so oily and still have those areas is beyond me...lol) I exchanged it today for the HD. Lets hope for better!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2011 6:14:00 PM More reviews by susanna972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I good peoduct but nothing special to me.I expected something different from all other matifying liquid foundations and the Mufe powder is a true mess applying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by fr0stbitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh, thank god. I wasn't sure what to do with myself once my beloved Maybelline Pure Foundation was removed from drugstore shelves forever, but I've found something SO much better!

I have two major problems when it comes to finding a match-made-in-heaven foundation: I'm so white that almost everything is so dark on me that it looks as if I'm trying to masquerade as an Amazon woman, and I'm sensitive to the point where my face wants to explode with angry blemishes whenever an offending ingredient comes within a five mile radius of my skin. You can see how that makes things difficult. Thankfully, Make Up Forever's Mat Velvet Plus comes in such an array of colors that there's even a shade for this ghost!

I was terrified this was going to break me out. Guess what, it doesn't! It's a miracle! I was very leery of the dimethicone because any form of silicone usually breaks me out horribly. Not the case with this baby. The coverage is just what I was looking for, too. It's heavy enough to cover redness and small blemishes, but doesn't say, "Look, I'm wearing foundation!" I still need to use concealer on my greater skin woes.

True to its name, it has a velvety texture and a matte finish. It doesn't control my oiliness by any means, but that's what my blotting sheets are for. This is THE best makeup for acne-prone skin. Love!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by nikkohli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my HG foundation. I have oily skin with slight scarring on my cheeks. My skin looks FLAWLESS with this. Here's my breakdown:

Price: It is kind of expensive but a little goes a LONG way. Also, this covers so nicely that I barely even use my MUFE full coverage concealer anymore so I am saving $30 on that.

Packaging- I like the squeeze bottle. It is easy to squeeze out a teeny bit to use as a spot concealer or enough for your whole face. I usually apply with my fingers and this package keeps the makeup germ free.

Coverage--medium to full. A little goes a long way so if you want light coverage, a wet sponge would easily give enough coverage with a minimum amount of product. I need full coverage and this goes on very smoothly (with Smashbox light primer on first) but I am still not using a ton of product or feeling cake-y. I set it with Smashbox HD powder.

Wear: I put this on at 6:30 AM and usually don't wash it off until 8pm. Now, I do touch ups during the day but my face does NOT look completely greasy (like it did with Smashbox Camera Ready and Benefit Playstick) and it is still covering imperfections. Do I have a little shine 5 hours later? Yes, but this is makeup, not miracles. A quick dusting of HD powder and it looks as good as new. If I don't get a chance to touch up, I dont feel self-conscious because I know this makeup is getting the job done......it just looks better with a touch up.

This probably is drying to those prone to dry skin--I have (bad, I know!) fallen asleep with this on (only once or twice!) and my face still felt matte the next AM. I use this with a pore minimizing moisturizer and primer and it glides right on.

My skin has never looked better--shine-free, illusion of a clear complexion, no new breakouts and surprising a great color match (I have pale skin with a yellow undertone). I wear #30 in the winter and #40 in the summer. I bought # 40 in June and wore it until about September and still have about 25% left in the bottle. Like I mentioned above, I need A LOT of coverage so that tells you how far this product goes for the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2011 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Natalie13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This was my favorite foundation for almost a year. It covered my acne spots and beautifully smoothed my large pores to perfection. I didn't mind the price ($34) seeing as the tube lasted me well into the year. The packaging isn't so horrible, but it may sometimes leak once you open the cap, wasting product. I did like that it is a squeeze tube, controlling how much you pour out, and never breaking like the usual glass packaging in many foundations. What it did lack, for me, was its staying power. At first, I would apply and powder set to face a day of polished skin. Towards the end, my oils would peak out to belittle me. I have since found a replacement, Revlon Colorstay, which doesn't cover as heavily as Mat Velvet, but with Colorstay, I never have a need to blot. Revlon is cheaper for my college-student-friendly budget, than MUFE. I would only recommend this foundation for going on a nice, brief night out, as the finish is worth using this foundation over.

I've read others reviews that it exemplifies dry areas, it does, and so can most foundations. I always exfoliate, and moisturize before applying foundation to create the best coverage. Remove the rough top skin layer and it'll create a canvas great enough to apply foundation!