December 22, 2014 | 992 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2011 12:04:00 AM More reviews by jenna38

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this foundation after hearing the reviews of it and paying the expensive price, but its .... meh. It did keep my skin matte throughout the entire day, however the formula is super thick. I always ended up applying way more than i needed. So i mixed it with a bit of moisturizer to make it a thinner consistency, and it is much better now. I set it with powder in my t-zone, and my skin is matte the entire day.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2011 7:35:00 PM More reviews by ESTHETICIANNM

I was so excited to try this stuff...I was up for a new foundation. I did so much research as always and can say I was very sad to waste my time and money on this foundation. It was very cakey. My boyfriend right away noticed I had a new foudation on LOL and not for the right reasons. I did notice it also highlights my random dry areas. (How can i be so oily and still have those areas is beyond me...lol) I exchanged it today for the HD. Lets hope for better!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2011 6:14:00 PM More reviews by susanna972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I good peoduct but nothing special to me.I expected something different from all other matifying liquid foundations and the Mufe powder is a true mess applying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by fr0stbitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh, thank god. I wasn't sure what to do with myself once my beloved Maybelline Pure Foundation was removed from drugstore shelves forever, but I've found something SO much better!

I have two major problems when it comes to finding a match-made-in-heaven foundation: I'm so white that almost everything is so dark on me that it looks as if I'm trying to masquerade as an Amazon woman, and I'm sensitive to the point where my face wants to explode with angry blemishes whenever an offending ingredient comes within a five mile radius of my skin. You can see how that makes things difficult. Thankfully, Make Up Forever's Mat Velvet Plus comes in such an array of colors that there's even a shade for this ghost!

I was terrified this was going to break me out. Guess what, it doesn't! It's a miracle! I was very leery of the dimethicone because any form of silicone usually breaks me out horribly. Not the case with this baby. The coverage is just what I was looking for, too. It's heavy enough to cover redness and small blemishes, but doesn't say, "Look, I'm wearing foundation!" I still need to use concealer on my greater skin woes.

True to its name, it has a velvety texture and a matte finish. It doesn't control my oiliness by any means, but that's what my blotting sheets are for. This is THE best makeup for acne-prone skin. Love!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by nikkohli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my HG foundation. I have oily skin with slight scarring on my cheeks. My skin looks FLAWLESS with this. Here's my breakdown:

Price: It is kind of expensive but a little goes a LONG way. Also, this covers so nicely that I barely even use my MUFE full coverage concealer anymore so I am saving $30 on that.

Packaging- I like the squeeze bottle. It is easy to squeeze out a teeny bit to use as a spot concealer or enough for your whole face. I usually apply with my fingers and this package keeps the makeup germ free.

Coverage--medium to full. A little goes a long way so if you want light coverage, a wet sponge would easily give enough coverage with a minimum amount of product. I need full coverage and this goes on very smoothly (with Smashbox light primer on first) but I am still not using a ton of product or feeling cake-y. I set it with Smashbox HD powder.

Wear: I put this on at 6:30 AM and usually don't wash it off until 8pm. Now, I do touch ups during the day but my face does NOT look completely greasy (like it did with Smashbox Camera Ready and Benefit Playstick) and it is still covering imperfections. Do I have a little shine 5 hours later? Yes, but this is makeup, not miracles. A quick dusting of HD powder and it looks as good as new. If I don't get a chance to touch up, I dont feel self-conscious because I know this makeup is getting the job done......it just looks better with a touch up.

This probably is drying to those prone to dry skin--I have (bad, I know!) fallen asleep with this on (only once or twice!) and my face still felt matte the next AM. I use this with a pore minimizing moisturizer and primer and it glides right on.

My skin has never looked better--shine-free, illusion of a clear complexion, no new breakouts and surprising a great color match (I have pale skin with a yellow undertone). I wear #30 in the winter and #40 in the summer. I bought # 40 in June and wore it until about September and still have about 25% left in the bottle. Like I mentioned above, I need A LOT of coverage so that tells you how far this product goes for the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2011 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Natalie13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This was my favorite foundation for almost a year. It covered my acne spots and beautifully smoothed my large pores to perfection. I didn't mind the price ($34) seeing as the tube lasted me well into the year. The packaging isn't so horrible, but it may sometimes leak once you open the cap, wasting product. I did like that it is a squeeze tube, controlling how much you pour out, and never breaking like the usual glass packaging in many foundations. What it did lack, for me, was its staying power. At first, I would apply and powder set to face a day of polished skin. Towards the end, my oils would peak out to belittle me. I have since found a replacement, Revlon Colorstay, which doesn't cover as heavily as Mat Velvet, but with Colorstay, I never have a need to blot. Revlon is cheaper for my college-student-friendly budget, than MUFE. I would only recommend this foundation for going on a nice, brief night out, as the finish is worth using this foundation over.

I've read others reviews that it exemplifies dry areas, it does, and so can most foundations. I always exfoliate, and moisturize before applying foundation to create the best coverage. Remove the rough top skin layer and it'll create a canvas great enough to apply foundation!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Intermission

First time using this foundation, it seemed like i have never used anything better.
I picked up a sample of the best matching color to my skin - shade 30 (the color selection is extremely limited) so it took me a while to pick the best match, even with the help of another makeup artist.
light to med. coverage, does not cover under eye circles or acne spots, two very important things.
makes me look like im wearing a ton of power even w/ the thinnest layer "every dry spot and/or flake will look much worse than it really is." this comment is very true.
made me look dull and in the sun light turned out the only color that fit me...was way too yellow.
too bad :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Lissettephoto

FINALLY!!! I have found the PERFECT foundation. Having tried everything from Mac to Clinique, Estee Lauder, and drugstore brands this is by far the best. It doesn't break me out at all which is huge considering I have pretty sensitive and acne prone skin. Last year my skin was thrown out of whack and I still have some dark marks but once I put this on, you would never be able to tell. Usually within 2 hours of applying my foundation, my skin is like an oil slick but this foundation stays nice and matte all day. I only have to pat my forehead towards the end of a day. It's a bit pricey but a little goes a long way and it is totally worth every penny. Will definitely be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 1:26:00 PM More reviews by tubularr

I am in LOVE with this foundation! I got it because Tiffany D kept talking about it and she's my favorite guru and everything I bought off of her recommendation (especially foundations), usually work for me. I didn't think that I'd buy anymore foundations after finding my HG foundation, which is MUFE HD, but I had to try this once because I have very oily skin. I don't think this foundation controls oil, but I think it stops oil for a good amount of time, which is about 3-4 hours for me. If I use this with Smashbox's Anti-Shine then I am literally shine free for the whole day, but I don't do that often cause I'd be too matte and then dry. For those of you who are looking for a glow or some sort of sheen of some sort, don't even look at this foundation! It says MAT (matte) for a reason! Also, dry people should stay very far away, it will emphasize dry areas. I love this foundation because it looks SO natural! I didn't think it would look this natural. I thought the HD foundation was natural, but that makes your face look natural, but flawless. This foundation is just straight natural. It covers my redness and slight acne scarring. I apply this with my fingers because I find this foundation doesn't spread easily with a brush. Also, I don't feel like I have foundation AT ALL. :) It lasts a good amount of time for me. I started using this foundation on school days (because it's more natural and cheaper) and HD on special events. My beloved NARS SG is now sadly just sitting on my makeup desk, but I sometimes use it when I'm going to hang out or run errands. I LOVE this foundation and will repurchase! Second HG, next to HD. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by akn8v

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the plastic squeeze bottle...hygienic, doesn't take up much space in the makeup bag, and great for travel. The coverage, wear, and finish is good for oily/combo skin. I do not recommend this if you have dry skin. I would say it is medium-light coverage but can be layered up to full. Not cakey or mask like but I use the least amount of product I can get away with. NOTE: exfoliate and thoroughly hydrate or moisturize your face prior to putting this on...no negotiation. Otherwise, every dry spot and/or flake will look much worse than it really is. I use a primer first and then follow up with a dusting of loose powder. LOVE IT! I have to blot my forehead and nose a couple of times/day but that's the story of my life.
EDIT: I will only wear this when the weather is cool/cold/freezing. This doesn't last in heat.