Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

3.6

(Titanium Dioxide 12% , Zinc Oxide 4.2%) Mica, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Lauroyl Lysine, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide

on 10/13/2007 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

First let me start off saying that I have been a fan of this website since I first laid eyes on it. I'm always looking for product reviews, especially makeup, and I have saved plenty and found great stuff too! Thanks!!!

I am a huge BE fan, but again have a family to raise and the cost is getting to be too much. I wanted to find a cheaper yet the same effect as BE and I carefully considered this product. I read all of the reviews on here and decided to take the chance. I visited the PF website, but was disappointed that they had no tool on helping pick your foundation color. I have blond hair, blue eyes, and fair with cool undertones. However, when it came to the BE product line, the medium was best for me. The fair and light made me look like I had seen a ghost, so by the third try...just the medium foundation was best...go figure.

I bought the PF in trans. med right before I went on a girls weekend with the women in my family. Who better to be my critics than family, trust me on this. I didn't tell them, but everyone of them asked what foundation I was using while on our trip. I explained about BE and told them I think I found a better one in PF. My sister who is a huge BE fan had to try it, and by the end of our trip, everyone had a foundation to take home with them.

Just a side note on my comparison to BE: I found PF covered better, gave me the same effect as BE and was just as natural. I didn't mind the design of the packaging, I just used a cap from an empty BE to work my magic. I only had to reapply with a tiny brush in certain trouble spots mid afternoon, but with BE I had to do a whole face reapplication. I'm going to look into PF "mineral veil" soon, once I run out of BE. I'm confident it will be just as good.

My last tidbit from researching...use a primer. However, I don't like to spend the bucks...hmmm, diapers or primer...lol. But I've heard from makeup artists that Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Gel because it has the silicone base like the most expensive brands.

Hope I helped!!

on 10/9/2007 12:47:00 AM

The first time I used this, I loved it! I buffed it onto my skin and my skin looked great. However, as the day wore on, I became unbelievably oily (which isn't normal for me) and when I looked at my reflection of the mirror in broad sunlight, you could totally see the powder on my face!
With all the positive reviews, I really wanted to like this powder so I tried again a couple times. No matter what I did, it was so obvious I had powder on, and later it started irritating my face with little bumps and redness (the included brush didn't help either). Will not buy again.

on 10/5/2007 6:11:00 AM

I LOVE this powder! Being over 40, I have to be careful with powders, I bought Sally Hansen Mineral Pressed Powder (for aging skin) and it was DRYING. So, I was afraid THIS would be too trying, it was a gift, I LOVE it! The light is a little light for me, but applies evenly, sheer, wears well, and my skin actually FEELS better! So thanks mom, I had given up on mineral powders!!!

on 9/30/2007 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Pros: This product is essentially the same mineral make up sold by Bare Escentuals, but for much cheaper. It gives better, natural looking coverage compared to Cover Girl's Simply Powder make up (the make up I have been using for over a year). I haven't seen much improvement in my acne prone skin, but I have only been using this product for a week.

Cons: The makeup looks flawless and wonderful for a few hours. If you have super oily skin like I do, it won't stay perfect looking. The opposite happens. My face looks cakey, shiny, and overdone. In fairness to the product, I believe the same thing would happen with any mineral make up. Indeed, it happened with BE. I was told that using a good moisturizer daily will help reduce the flow of sebum. I just started with Eucerin's Sensitive skin anti wrinkle cream today. Hopefully it will help my make up stay natural looking for a longer period of time. The brush that comes with the make up is too stiff for my sensitive skin. You are better off investing in a high quality soft brush and throwing the original in the garbage. The container shape is narrow. I like a shallow wide based container because it is less messy. I use the dome shaped lid to dip my brush in to avoid wasting the powder.

Final Word: It's the best make up I have found to date and will buy it again. I recommend the mineral veil to complete the look. Without it, large pores are more apparent.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was cleaning out my makeup bag the other day and found this product. It was still full, and although I could remember buying it I couldn't remember why I had stopped using it- that was until I put it on. After just one day of wearing this powder my pores were SO clogged. I am still recovering. I should add that I have sensitive skin which is prone to clogging and breakouts. So maybe this is only for people without sensitive skin. This is the only "mineral" makeup to ever do this to my face. Now I remember why I stopped using it in the first place!

on 9/19/2007 12:15:00 AM

This is dry, mind you, and I have combination, dry-ish skin, so it shouldn't be able work that well. However, if I put on a few drops of jojoba oil on my moisturizer, applying it on, waiting for half an hour or so, and then put on this loose powder, it really covers quite well, as well as making the skin tone more even. Also, it hides freckles quite good ( i have some on my upper cheers) I do put on some concealer before it, but the powder itself is very sheer. The only thing I didn't like about it is the hard brush and the packaging. Either then that, it's quite fine. This doesn't make me break out (not yet anyways :P) The powder itself wasn't expensive at all, around 11 CAD (but it was on sale in shoppers, normal pricing is 15ish, so stock up!!) I would recommend this to a person with slightly oilier skin, as this is an pretty awesome powder. No flakiness, and lasts all day, so yep, definitely my HG for now! XD

Edit (January 24, 2008): A while ago I found out my skin was getting increasingly dry during the winter season. Apparently, with my dry skin + moisturizer + winter + mineral makeup + time = shine + large pores (magnified by the makeup), which wasn't at all that great. Dry skin users might consider using liquid foundation, as I am currently using maybelline pure liquid foundation, which lasts long and seems to moisturize my skin; if not, at least my pores arent large and my skin shiny. But I'll definitely re-use this loose powder when it gets warmer.

on 9/17/2007 1:57:00 PM

I love this product. Great coverage, smooth skin, easy to apply. I don't have that 'caked on' feeling like with most foundations. I cringe at the thought of putting goop liquid foundation on my face now, I'm so used to the light smooth feeling of this powder. Everyone seems to dislike the little brush, but I like it!!! I reserve my large fluffy brushes for blush, I like how the stiffer bristles let me get the coverage I want. Otherwise, when I use a big fluffy brush, the coverage isn't as good and I need to use more product.

on 9/16/2007 11:52:00 PM

Love, love, LOVE this product. I have really oily, blotchy, acne prone skin-- so forever i was using products that were hypoallergenic and oil free, and blah blah blah. I settled for almay line smoothing for a long time, im so oily that it would collect in my smile lines, around my nose, and in the middle of my forehead. Every 5 minutes i was in the bathroom rubbing it back in!! I even used oil blotting sheets, and Dr. Feelgood to fill in my pores and smile lines... Still an issue. This powder is PERFECT. I had been interested in mineral foundations for awhile, but found them too expensive. I happened across this in Target for only 9$ and figured id give it a try. HG! For as blotchy as i am i dont like to look too made up, and this was amazing. All day long, through sweat, and oil this looked flawless. No crevice collecting, no blotchiness, no breakouts. And it felt like i was wearing nothing at all. If you have difficult skin to find foundation for, give this a try--at less than 10$ its worth it.

on 9/4/2007 1:28:00 PM

HG alert! With my sensitive, acne-prone, hard-to-color-match PPP skin, I've been looking for a great foundation for years. The mineral ones always intrigued me, but I really hated the shine of BE and Philosophy (ie the bismouth oxychloride) and it always made a big mess. Well, I finally found one that DOESN'T have any shine (none of that horrible bismouth stuff) and that I can apply without a mess. I use the top of the dome packaging as a bowl to infuse the brush (not the one it came with, but I use that for touch-ups) and to tap off the excess. It works great and doesn't get all over the place! As for the formulation, this powder is by far the best I've tried. Not only no shine, but long-lasting very natural but buildable coverage. I use a concealer brush to get my "spots" that need a little extra and this makes me look perfect!

I am so happy to have found a good HG!!

on 9/2/2007 5:52:00 PM

Great great great! This is the best powder I have ever used! I have been looking for a powder like this for so long, I have tried everything from chanel, laura mercier, shiseido, to loreal, literally everything! Finally, a powder that has great coverage, doesn't fade away or come off in a few hours. Until you take it off with a make up remover, it stays there just where you put it. If you want light coverage, you can lightly dust it or you can have maximum coverage if you layer a few times and it never shows. It doesn't even look like you are wearing makeup. I wish I have tried this before. All that money and effort and I have a cupboard of useless powders. I have stopped using everything else, no more tinted mousturizers, foundation. I just apply moisturizer and then this, and you look perfect for hours and hours. I have tried this in unbelievably hot water and I was expecting it to come down with sweat but it didn't, not at all. This is THE perfect powder. I have told my friends to use it and everyone is so in love with it. And also, my skin is prone to breakouts too and I haven't had them since I have started using this. But don't use the brush that comes in the package, I think the bristles are too harsh, use your regular bronzer powder. It looks matte, perfect and natural, I couldn't ask for more. I swear by this product, I highly recommend it to everyone.