November 26, 2014 | 1599 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2007 11:41:00 PM More reviews by luxliving

I purchased my first bottle of Chanel No 5 a week ago. I'm 34. It's the best perfume I've ever owned or smelled. I purchased the EDP version and it's not too heavy. I use it lightly and only on my pulse points. Sometimes I just put it in my inner elbow creases and wrists and thats enough. The scent is so wonderful that you definitely don't need a lot of it.
I feel so grown up, sexy, elegant, intelligent, regal...when wearing this perfume. Of course, I'm all of those things without the perfume (SMILE) but the perfume gives me that extra something.
People compliment me when I wear this. I love it. I wear it when I feel like it. It's not for casual wear but of course one can wear it when and how she wishes.

Love the bottle--simple and elegant. Price is fine because it's a classic and it's a great scent. It will last forever if you use it properly. I rated it a 5 overall of course and I will definitley buy it over and over again.

Edited to add**** For those of you who do not like the fragrance, could it be because you are using the EDT (eau de toillette) and not the Parfum or EDP (eau de parfum)?? Also, be careful, there are a lot of fakes out there on the market. Don't buy this fragrance unless you are buying it from a reputable seller (I buy mine from Neiman Marcus, Sephora, or Nordstrom only). Also there is a HUGE difference between EDT and EDP...I honestly never knew the difference until a few years back...LOL. I always used to buy EDT's. NEVER AGAIN (with the exception of my Aquolina Pink Sugar--like this frangrance for light spring, summer days) EDP is sooo much better, stronger, it's the closest you can get to the pure parfum version. Eau De Toilette is just water, alcohol and a little bit of fragrance in my opinion. Also when you use an EDP---PLEASE use it lightly. I only place it on one pulse point and that's the area in the middle of my collarbone and I may place a little dab in the creases of my elbows..but that is it. You don't need more and if you put more you will smell awful---in my opinion. There is such thing as 'too much of a good thing'. Well, Chanel is a great thing and you can ruin it by using it too much. And lastly, everything doesn' t match everyones body chemistry. So perhaps on one body it smells old lady yet on another it smells captivating and sexy mature.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2007 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Portae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Did my grandmother wear this? Yes.
Do I love the idea of wearing Chanel No. 5? Yes.

...but that's not why I purchased this perfume. I have to admit that the smell of Chanel No. 5 conjures up fond memories for me, but nostalgia alone isn't enough to convince me to buy this perfume. On a whim, I decided to get a small sample from Sephora, just to see if it worked with my body chemistry. I adore the smell straight out of the bottle, but the intermediary phase is far too powdery for my taste. Luckily, the drydown is absolutely delicious, and returns to the clean, sweet, yet rich smell that i get in the initial spray. I find Chanel No. 5 to be a sweet and cozy smell- it blends with my natural scent to create something that smells like me, only better.

I have the EDP, and I must say that it's my favorite of the various formulations. The EDT smells sharp and synthetic, while the Parfum (in addition to being insanely expensive) has a drydown that reminds me of incense.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2007 4:26:00 AM More reviews by Annie_in_MN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It is a lovely, serious frangrance. However, the only way that works for me is to spray it once in front of me and walk through it. Then it leaves a nice, subtle frangrance. If I spray it directly on, it is too strong and I get headaches.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2007 10:24:00 AM More reviews by traceb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I go back and forth about this classic perfume. It's pretty heavy for summer, and for some reason it smells very different when it first goes on than when it's had a few minutes to settle ( I know all perfumes do this but this one is way off). It goes on very harsh and strong in my opinion, but after 30 minutes or so it settles to a soft, musky scent that I like. But again, to heavy for summer and I always use it in small doses, and never less than thirty minutes before I leave the house. At this rate the bottle I bought will last me till the end of my days...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2007 10:16:00 AM More reviews by luxury504

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This perfume smells SEXY.I love it

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2007 7:06:00 PM More reviews by makeupjnkE

Ew...I thought this was way too heavy and musky. Then again...I'm more of a fruity, fresh-fragrance kind of person.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2007 3:14:00 PM More reviews by jano808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Be sure to try the EDP! Eau de toilette and eau de parfum have distinctly different scents! I got a sample of the EDP and loved it- it had just enough powdery, fresh scent, mixed with a little "something else", some people call it old lady, but I'm 28 and I really love it... it's a classic, and it's old school in the best way. But by mistake, I bought the EDT. Maybe it's just my chemistry, but I HATE it! I tried the EDP again and it was better, and surprisingly, felt lighter. It is a strong scent, and it really lasts. If you've tried the EDT and didn't like it, try a sample of the EDP and see what you think.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2007 11:32:00 PM More reviews by unrealloyalties

I've smelled a lot of things in my (admittedly short) life so I was not shocked when I tried this, although I'll say most people my age, who are used to wearing j. lo or clinique or whatever else, would probably find it very "old" smelling. Old is not bad in my book; one of my favorites is Hermes Caleche, for example. However, this perfume lacks spunk. While its top aldehydes are to be expected and quite similar to the Caleche SDP (not EDT), its powdery basenote reeks of pearl-sporting housewife of a Princeton alum, and I just can't stand it. This isn't "worldly"; it's plain boring.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2007 1:14:00 AM More reviews by actionsport

I was pleasantly surprised by this classic perfume. My mom gave it to me because she thought it was boring, but on me, it smells so fresh & sultry at the same time- my husband goes crazy when i wear this to bed- i thought it would smell soapy and powdery, but it doesn't- guess it goes w/ my body chemistry

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2007 10:41:00 PM More reviews by bluezinnia

The wide disparity of opinion of this product made me curious enough to seek this out to smell it again (I had not knowingly smelled it in years). Imagine my surprise at being neither thrilled nor horrified at this perfume. I tried the EDP at Ulta. To me, it smells like a perfume that a dignified (but not necessarily old) woman of wealth or accomplishment would wear. I don't see it as "old-ladyish," like so many others do. It didn't seem particularly strong or long-lasting, but that may have been because I was testing it on a very warm, humid day. I don't know if this was the French-made or USA-made product. I'll check out the EDT & pure perfume to see if there's a substantial difference when I get the chance.

1/17/08 EDIT: the Ulta bottles are made in USA. I tried the EDT recently, and I wasn't impressed. Probably only worth buying in the EDP form.