Five things you should know about Chanel No5:
1) personally, i believe this scent is best suited for the wintertime. it is a rather heavy, elegant perfume and should be worn with heavy, elegant clothing (coats, furs, sweaters, scarves,etc). springtime, i think you should use a perfume that's lighter/more flowery
2) personally, i believe this is a nighttime perfume.
3) for all those who complain that the perfume is "too heavy" and that it gives them a headache, i think you might be using too much. this is a very strong perfume. a little will go a long way.
4) this is a city girl's perfume. that is, i can't imagine someone in miami in a bikini wearing this scent.
5) classic. when i was a little girl, i was a sorta tomboy who thought fashion was the lamest thing ever. i never took showers, wore my dad's baggy tshirt, and my jeans had holes in the butt. yeah, i was a disaster. but even back then, whenever i'd hug my mom, i'd smell her chanel no5 and think to myself, "this is what it must smell like to be a woman." this perfume is so elegant and conjures images of a powerful, confident woman. but more importantly, this perfume has got so much history. personal and cultural history. ah...brings back so many great memories
This is a fantastic scent. As a total perfume junkie, I have tons of stuff, but this is one I always come back to. My grandmother, my mom and I all wore it on our wedding day(s), so it holds many memories. Can be too strong if one uses too much, but it's still great. A bottle will last me a very long time. A gal should try this at least once in her life, regardless of preconcieved notions. It's such a classy and classic scent!
Va-va-va-voom! I gravitate towards smoky, exotic, gourmand type scents, so it was such a surprise to be absolutely DELIGHTED upon sniffing this for the first time. This bombshell-esque floral is nothing short of mythic, an icon in its own right. With this scent I am reminded of Paris in the springtime, Champagne, pink roses, diamonds, and being in love, being young, and being beautiful. Not bad for an old gal in her eighties, huh?
I was first given a bottle of Chanel No5 by my best friend when I turned 11 and I had no idea of the history, or the value, of it at that time. I have worn it ever since. This just works with my body chemistry and the scent is very powdery but also clean, almost a bit lemony (perhaps this is because I pair it with the body lotion). I happen to be a fan of "old fashioned" or "old lady" scents - I actually find some of them sexy, or can be made so, on the right woman. I will go for periods of time and wear other perfumes, but when I come back to this, it reminds me of my old self...in a good way.
I get this in the classic bottle eau de perfume spray. I fell in love with the fragrance during my teens. Fifteen years later I still love it but not for every day wear. A bottle will last me forever and it is my *one* cosmetic splurge :-)
I find this to be a flowery-powdery scent. Very feminine. If applied heavy, it is too much and smothers me. Lightly applied, it is wonderful and such a soft fragrance.
I was really excited to try a sample of this, like many others that reviewed it before me. But unfortunately, it was 100% powdery, old-lady scent on me and gave me a headache. Too bad!
This is my signature perfume, I have had it for a few years now and will definately repurchase when it runs out. Its quite strong so it does take some getting used to, but gosh its lovely. Smells fresh, clean powdery hard to explain but its devine. I get so many compliments from it.
I am a true Chanel fragrances fan. They really agree with my body chemistry. No.5 is such a timeless classic. It is my second favourite fragrance after Allure and just before Allure Sensuelle and Coco Mademoiselle. I absolutely adore this fragrance. I feel soooo classy wearing it. I love how it smells on my skin, flowery with a heavy powdery base. Somehow I associate this with a smell of a very expensive soap. I totally understand that some people might not like it as this is one of those 'love it or hate it' fragrances. It is definitely worth testing though. A very grown-up scent. Highly recommended!
Nauseating. I can't believe people still wear it.
I tried and tried to like this scent when I was in college, but I apparently wasn't womanly enough back then. :) Ten years later, I absolutely love it. I think back then I couldn't get past No. 5's initial, out-of-the-bottle smell. And I have to admit, it still smells "pollen-ish" to me. Hard to explain, but it has the smell of some flowers (like lilies) that are pretty but don't smell the best. But No. 5's drydown is absolutely magical. I don't know what to compare it to; I don't know what it smells like, and I don't want to know. It makes me feel classy and beautiful. UPDATE 11/27/07: Still absolutely love this fragrance. But I have something to share. I went camping a couple of months ago, and it was buggy. We busted out with the bug spray, and I said, "This smells soooo good." Then I realized it smelled like No. 5. Still love it, tho!!