September 3, 2014 | 1376 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Mindy919

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am in love with this. Coconut oil is the very best moisturizer I have ever found for skin and hair and it cheers me up to slather it on in winter because it smells like a tropical paradise. I can't use it on my face because it does break me out, but on the rest of my skin it's perfect, and this is the 1st winter in 5 years that I haven't gotten psoriasis and I thank coconut oil. I also googled "coconut oil benefits" and found a long list of health benefits as far as eating/cooking with it so I have started doing that. I put a teaspoon in my oatmeal or melt a tsp. On my cornflakes every morning. The benefits are similar in many ways to fish oil but without the awful taste. I just got mine at Wal-Mart in the section with the vitamins.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 12:15:00 PM More reviews by chrissypoo327

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I recently discovered coconut oil. I'm not crazy about the smell, but it does dissipate pretty quickly. I noticed, too, as another poster said, that my legs, which would usually be dry and flaky by the evening, were still nice and soft and moisturized. So glad for the tips for hair use .. thanks, ladies ... am going to try that today!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by isavella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What everyone else said. I use this in my hair, as an all-over body moisturizer, in food, as the BEST lube ever (it's edible! bonus!), as an eye makeup remover. Sometimes, I put it on just to smell it. Sometimes I lick my fingers after applying...maybe...ok, totally. My only complaint is that I always want to cover myself in it, and when I try to do that to my face, I DO break out (but I break out from everything). In order to not make this review totally useless, I have a tip. If you're trying to grow your hair, I've found that in conjunction with a sulfate/silicone free hair regime, lightly oiling the length of your hair before bed every night REALLY helps with growth. The oil penetrates well (esp. w/out the hindrance of 'cones) and moisturizes, protects, etc. Washes out easily in the a.m.

ETA 1/9/13: I still stand by the above review. However I have found some more great things about CO. I believe oil pulling with it has really helped clear up my skin, and I started ingesting it (2-3 tbsp a day + cooking with it) and I have never felt better, AND it's helping with post-baby weight loss.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 6:19:00 AM More reviews by rjones

I have been using this stuff for years. I use it as a moisturizer and then add my lotion on top of it. I also use it as a supplement to control an auto immune disorder that I have, to relieve joint pain and it also keeps me.... um.. regular. After years of limping and aching with pain I am feeling better than I have in 20 years. At my age (hey! dont ask!) that is serious business to me.
I also use it for cooking but its best use EVER is as a personal lubricant. Please know that this product is anti fungal and therefore it is perfect for this use.
Also, since it is anti fungal it makes a great moisturizer and siftener for your feet. Lotions can cause so much moisture that not only can it be uncomfortable because your feet sweat but this can cause fungus.
I only use thjis product on my hair just before I am going to wash it. It makes my hair brittle and crunchy.
I do suggest that you spend the extra money and buy the extra virgin coconut oil. If you just cant stand the smell ( I LOVE it! but understand some dont) then buy virgin coconut oil.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 4:08:00 AM More reviews by brend

I mix a bit of this with my body lotion (any body lotion) and it just makes the lotion work better and last longer (you know how after you apply a body lotion in the morning, it has usually disappeared by the time you reach the office...). I usually have to moisturize twice a day, after my morning and evening shower, or else I will start to itch (especially my legs), but I noticed that after regularly using this coconut oil mix, I can afford to be lazy and skip the nightly moisturizing ritual for a night or two without my skin starting to look and feel dry. I took one lippie off the overall rating because of the smell...I know some people love it, but it can be overpowering.
I have tried using it as a hair conditioner (shampoo, oil wrap, shampoo off) but it left my hair hard and "crispy".

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was so surprised to discover I've never ever reviewed this before! I thought I would've been one of the first people to review this. Considering I use coconut oil every day for everything. I just can't rave enough about it, like that game where you have to decide just one thing to take with you to a desert island, for me that would be coconut oil (although if it were a tropical desert island I probably could just pick it up right off the trees hehe). I use it for everything. I use it before shampooing, maybe once every week or every 2 weeks (I'd do it more often if I had more time). I leave it on for a while and then shampoo it out and condition, conditioning isn't necessary for moisture after coconut oil but I have bird's nest hair and the only thing that can detangle it is conditioner, so I use conditioner. I tried using it as a leave-in or as a serum but even though I only used a tiny bit, it's not that it looked greasy but it didn't look dry either, it gave me crisp looking curls which looked like I had used some sort of product to give them shape (in other words it didn't look natural). I only use natural oils as a facial moisturizer though, and coconut oil is one of these oils that I use several times a week. It's absolutely the works for that, for me! I use it to remove makeup every day, it removes everything. My usual night-time routine is to remove makeup with coconut oil, then cleanse with a natural handmade soap (usually one made with coconut oil too hehe, but sometimes I will use an olive oil soap). Then I spread on coconut oil again and rinse but don't wash it off. After I dry my face I put on my nightly moisturizing oil which sometimes is coconut oil. In the summer if you want to keep soft, shiny hair you can spread it all over your hair before you get into the swimming pool or ocean and it will protect your hair, you will end the summer with shinier, softer hair than you began with! Coconut oil gives me soft shiny hair and clear, well-moisturized, radiant skin. If you have oily skin coconut oil will balance your skin and make it less oily.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by lexi95

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

its pretty good. i use it as a deep conditioner on my ends sometimes and it does make my hair softer; but don't use as a leave in treatment or you will look oily. i use it once in a while on my face and body but i would not recommend continuous use as you might break out. the packaging on mine is just a twist off jar and sometimes it is very hard for me to open, not to mention it is becoming hard for me to get all the product from the bottom. overall, this does leave my hair softer and help it grow more and does help moisturize my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Mspolkadotz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite thing in the world! I use it for skin, hair, oil pulling, cooking and supplementation. I noticed something funny the other day which I will share with you now. Normally, I would class my skin type as extremely oily (no joke) which makes me super self-consious because my face can become such a GREASE-BALL >.< But after 2 months of using coconut oil as a facial moisturizer, I realized that my skin wasn't really oily at all and you'll see why in a minute. During the two months of being coconut crazed, my skin felt felt balanced (not oily nor dry). Which means happy days right? But then recently my sis bought an Aveda moisturizer and I couldn't resist to try since it reads something along the lines of Botanicals which sounded too good to be true.. and it was. Anyways, I tried the Aveda moisturizer and find myself back to being super oily. The next day I went back to my trusty old coconut oil and my skin is back to being normal. I'm AMAZED! so yeah, that's just my experience with using this product on my skin. Oh before I forget.. because I live in the UK, I use a brand called BIONA raw organic coconut oil. I highly recommend you make sure that the oil is RAW (called pressed) and organic because rancid oil isn't very good.. Also, it's always a good idea to take a break from chemical laden products and give your skin some lovely coconut treatment =). So yeah, hope that's useful. Tah

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2011 8:09:00 AM More reviews by alicia148

After the recommendations on this site I decided to try coconut oil on my face. I have fair, sensitive skin and also don't like the idea of using products saturated with chemicals.

My skin is sensitive and slightly on the dry side, and luckily since being on the pill I don't suffer from spots.

I really love using coconut oil. I don't consider it a miracle treatment or anything but it's a brilliant moisturiser which seems to make your skin glow. This may be down to the fact that I use it to massage my face as a night cream.

It's solid at room temperature and you have to gid a bit out of the jar and wait for it to melt in your hands. It turns into an oil so you can massage it over your face. I do this for around a minute before I go to bed and it really makes my face look radiant. It's a little bit oily but as long as you don't use too much it absorbs in quite quickly. It also smells deliciously of coconut.

It has amazing moisturising properties and is totally natural, just what I was after.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2011 10:49:00 AM More reviews by becomingshadows

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR FACE WITHOUT DOING A PATCH TEST!

I have been stupidly using organic virgin coconut oil as a facial moisturizer for months before I realized that all the cystic acne and breakouts were due to this highly comedogenic product. I am not saying that this does not have other uses. I will definitely use it to cook with, but I will never again put it on my face. If you do your research on the comedogenic scale coconut oil is a 4 out of 5. Its chemical breakdown is similar to plastic pellets and it works like a mask, trapping impurities beneath the pores. Some people may be ok with it, but I have had the worst acne of my life for the last 4 months because I thought my skin was detoxing...nope.

The moment I figured this out I put on a mint julep mask and started using avocado oil. The next morning my face was a hundred times better. If you are looking for a natural facial moisturizer, stick with something on the comedogenic scale under 2 (jojoba, avocado, olive, etc.).

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No