Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

First let me say that I would never use this cleanser alone--it just wasn't meant for combo girls like me. However, Paula of Paula's Choice recommends using this with baking soda for exfoliating and I'm impressed. This is not my primary cleanser but once or twice a week I exfoliate with this combo and I love it! In the past scrubs and most masks would either over-dry my skin--with the red, tight, surprised eye, "o" face, or irritate so that I would either break out and/or peel. This is definitely a winner with the baking soda :)

on 1/22/2003 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

If you have oily skin (or skin with any oil whatsoever) don't expect this to do anything at all for you. I used this for a month, and my skin broke out like crazy! I must have had a month's worth of dirt and oil caked on. Now I use MD Forte (which is expensive, but worth it) and have radiant skin.

on 1/21/2003 10:21:00 PM

The liquid version of this stuff is not gentle at all, and derms tell their rosacea patients NOT to use it -- unless they use the bar version. For me, the bar is too drying so I stick with Peter Thomas Roth Sensitive Skin cleansing gel. I just wish it cost as little as Cetaphil.

on 1/21/2003 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Let me just say I hate Cetaphil. My skin is combo. but in the winter it gets exceptionally dry and sometimes even chapped so I don't like to use a strong face wash. But this didn't do a thing for me it made my skin feel oily and still dirty, and didn't get off any makeup or anything. Would not recommend as a cleanser.

on 1/21/2003 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is an OKAY product for very dry skin *which I have*. It is very non-irritating and does not have a fragrance to it..but I found that my skin didn't feel properly cleaned or hydrated after using this product.

on 1/21/2003 11:52:00 AM

I have been told by multiple dermatologists to try Cetaphil "Gentle" skin cleanser for my ultra-senstitive facial skin. Everytime they mention the name, I cringe knowing that I have just wasted my time: Cetaphil contains the harshest ingredients that skincare can contain- just do some research on the ingredients and you'll see! The "gentle" cleansing agent in Cetaphil is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, possibly one of the harshest chemicals that you could put on your face! MSDS sheets warn that people handling this chemical should wear gloves and avoid contact with skin!! All in all, I tried Cetaphil several times, and each time it burned my face and left it blotchy and dry! Stay away from this if you have rosacea and TRULY sensitive skin!

I really love this cleanser! It takes some time getting used to, since it doesn't leave you with that "squeaky clean" feeling I got to have in a cleanser. I use a face brush to wash w/ this and it seems to help.

I love it as a MU remover too! Works really great! This is a great cleanser for winter time.

(I have combo skin)

on 1/18/2003 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This was an ok face wash but not great for acne prone skin or for oily skin.

on 1/15/2003 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

It smells bad and doesn't clean my make-up off. No good for oily skin either.

on 1/15/2003 12:29:00 AM

This is okay stuff, but the smell was so bad I threw it out a few days after I got it. The scent is overkill, it is way too strong. So I definately suggest you smell before you buy!