Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 2/11/2003 9:51:00 PM

I love this product. I use it daily to take off my makeup or if my skin is really dry. It cleanses great and makes my skin feel clean and smooth. It took me a while to get use to it, because I have always used a foaming or harsher cleanser. This is great though and removes all traces of makeup and dirt. It also will not clogg the pores. I still use other cleansers, but this is my staple one that I will aways have in my cabinet.

on 2/11/2003 11:28:00 AM

HI!!! I HAVE ALREADY WRITTEN A COUPLE OF REVIEWS ABOUT CETAPHIL (I'M NOT REALLY A BIG FAN OF IT, SORRY EVERYONE! :) BUT I WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO READ MY REVIEW ABOUT DERMA-GLO SKINCARE... IT IS LENGTHY BUT IT MAY SAVE YOU FROM MAKING THE MISTAKE THAT I DID! PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT! THANKS

on 2/9/2003 10:10:00 PM

I've been using this for a week, and wow! My face is definitely more moisturized after using this, which is a plus in the winter months. It takes off all of my makeup, too, contrary to popular opinion. AND my breakouts have dramatically decreased (fingers crossed)!

Update: This does NOT take off eye makeup, and now that summer is almost here, it's clogging my t-zone a bit...will probably switch over to something else until this fall again.

on 2/9/2003 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

BabyDevil, you aren't the only one. After 35 years of life, I finally figured out that I am SLS allergic. I always thought it was individual products that caused me trouble - I hadn't made the full conclusion.

I'm sure that many more people with "sensitive skin" or weird acne and dryness around their hairline, down their back (from shampoo) or at the corners of their mouth (from toothpaste) are SLS allergic.

I'm always surprised that products like this are recommended by dermotologists--in ads and in so many magazines. I think the SLS allergy is much more common than people realize. I tried the Cetephil line a few years ago, thinking it would be so mild, it was so recommended, and I had horrible reactions. At the time CVS had a return policy, and they got lots of tubes and bottles back from me.

Sorry to go on in the space of just one product review. I've just joined the site and I suppose hoping to save someone else from another day of thinking it's "bad skin" not so many products. If this does work for you, great, you're just not SLS allergic.

When I tried samples of this product years ago I thought it was a nice gentle cleanser, that left my face feeling really soft. However, after buying a large bottle, this really started to irritate my face. I finally finished that large bottle after 18 months. In the end I had to use it as hand soap. It did an average job at that too, but at least it didn't irritate my hands.

on 2/7/2003 7:04:00 AM

I was wondering if anyone else has ever had really bad luck with Cetaphil, but not because it was too gentle, I found it way too harsh and drying... I think maybe I am allergic to the sodium lauryl sulphate in it! let me know so that I know I am not the only one!

on 2/6/2003 1:51:00 AM

since I started using cetaphil about 2 years ago, I have had no problems with acne (aside from the occasional hitchhiker, naturally).

the best thing about this product is that you can remove your eye makeup with it! without water if you like! woo! I'd recommend using a cellulose (wood pulp) sponge with it to gently exfoliate and stimulate circulation
*glow*
also, my boyfriend uses it as a shave cream (face) and it works swell for him too.

on 2/3/2003 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I find this does nothing for people with oily skin. I guess if your sky is dry, it would be a cool cleanser, but I have a feeling this is NOT beneficial to people with oily or acne prone skin.

on 2/1/2003 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have oily acne-prone skin, and i just went to the dermatologist - and she reccomended i use this. So far in the week or so i've been using it, my skins gotten clearer than before.. I haven't noticed any significant changes in oilyness though. This stuff feels really gentle and doesn't irritate my skin. I'd reccomend it, but obviously this is a product that is great for some people but horrible for others. Give it a shot, and if you don't like it, toss it. It's cheap enough.

EDIT - i stopped using this because i found it didnt take my makeup off very well at all.. if you wear a lot of foundation, don't go for this.

on 1/31/2003 10:59:00 PM

I realize my review of this product is completely superfluous, but I just wanted to thank an earlier reviewer who recommended using this product as shaving lather. I no longer get dry patches or shaving irritations, and unlike some shaving gels, Cetaphil doesn't clog my razor or drown my leg in a sea of foam. Can't use Cetaphil on my face, however, as it breaks me out and never seems to rinse off completely.