July 26, 2014 | 1395 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by soclutch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really dislike this foundation. It's strange that it is "matifying", but once it dries onto my skin it then takes on a polished doll look (my skin feels matte, but I look like I have a sheen on polish on my skin).

It does control oil so for those with really oily skin this is the product for you. The coverage states that it is medium, but you really have to use A LOT of foundation to get that "medium" coverage and it wastes a lot of the product. Personally, I think matte foundations are terrible in general, but this one definitely takes the cake. I do like the HD foundation though...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'd heard good things about this product, but for the price i would say its performance is really very, very average! The coverage is quite heavy and i feel like i'm wearing a lot of make-up on my face with this one. I much prefer the lightweight feel of Dior Skin Nude, GA Lasting Silk and even Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick (which to me all give a similar look to the skin). I'd say the best bit about this foundation is that it doesn't age the look of your skin and if anything makes you look younger! Its more of a cakey, makeupy teenage foundation-but just one you pay more for! I wish i'd of just got a sample instead of buying the product.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by heyLYLAxoxox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like this. With a name like "Mat Velvet" and with the praise that Tiffany D. gives it, I had high hopes.

I actually purchased this foundation about a year ago and forgot about it in my makeup stock, probably because it was too light for me. After watching Tiffany D. videos where she raves about it, I figured it might be a good idea to fish it back out.

The shade I have, Porcelain - 30 - is a great match for my skin (for reference, I'm an NC15 in MAC's Studio Fix and 150 - Buff in Revlon Colorstay). The coverage is initially AMAZING, but within about 2 hours I'm super oily and my foundation is gone.

Now, part of my issue may be that I no longer use a makeup primer. I had used Smashbox Photo Finish Light and MAC's Prep+Prime (eew, ugly sparkles) previously, but I never really noticed a difference with them. Perhaps those that use a primer might have better luck, although I CAN say that I don't use a primer with my Revlon ColorStay and I don't have any of the problems I have with the MUFE Mat Velvet.

Like I said, I really wanted to like it...but considering that I found my HG in a foundation that's $25 less expensive, I can't justify a shiny face 2 hours into my makeup day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2010 2:01:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I am reviewing a sample of this.
First of all they don't have a good color for me. The best match was #40 which is for medium-light with yellow undertones. It is a little too dark and orange and they don't have one for light with yellow undertones. It doesn't look natural at all, it settles in my fine lines, doesn't have good coverage and it gets oily fast for being a matte foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 11:45:00 PM More reviews by dukechickie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This may be my HG foundation! I've been using the Diorskin Nude, which I also love. They both look natural on my skin - not too makeup-y - but this helps keep my oily skin matte (for a while, at least). Like its name would imply, this foundation gives a velvety finish, but it doesn't feel thick or gunky at all. I don't need too much coverage (just need to cover redness and I use concealer to spot conceal acne scars), and this is perfect without giving me a mask-like visage. I also like the squeeze tube - very compact and hygienic!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2010 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Julia2007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is combination-oily. I usually have a few breakouts on my skin at any given time, and I have marks from past acne that are taking forever to fade. I need a full-coverage to cover the breakouts and the past acne marks. I decided to try this after watching several videos on YouTube in which Makeupbytiffanyd raves about this foundation. According to her, this foundation is perfect. She says it covers well, looks natural, and in one video she even says all skintypes can use it. In several videos she says to not be scared by the name, because it is actually not that matte. I couldn't disagree more. Luckily, the SA at Sephora was kind enough to give me a generous sample of this, so I didn't actually purchase. I wore it for several days. I kept wanting to like it, but it just never looked right on me. It was way too matte. It looked unnatural, not at all like skin.Also, it was thick and diffiult to blend, so it ended up looking patchy. My skin actually looked worse with this on, and that is a difficult feat, given the poor state of my complexion. If you still want to try it, at least get a sample first. (As a side-note, I did not like MUFE HD foundation either. I also found it unnatural looking and difficult to blend; I guess there is something about MUFE foundations that don't work with my skin.)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by gatsbygarbo

I went through 1 and a half bottles of this foundation, it was my HG for most of winter 09, it does have great coverage and loved how it made my skin look. summer came along and i started noticing how heavy it felt (my skin tends to be alot more oilier in summer and drier in winter) the effect wasnt the same, it felt like my whole face was melting away on those very hot and humid days. i was not happy.. a friend recommended clinique and ever since i havent gone back to MUFE.. i will not repurchase this

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryMojito

I have oily skin, not natural looking at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by DontWorryAboutIt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay let me start out by saying this is a great foundation!... But people with dry skin beware. I say you should avoid this foundation all together. I first saw this on a friend and asked her what makeup she was using because it looked great on her! So airbrushed looking but still natural. I went and tried it out right away because I'm always on the hunt for a HG foundation. Didn't take long to settle into pores/fine lines, look cakey, and make my dry skin even more obvious (even with a good moisturizer & primer). Not everyone's skin is the same and something that looks amazing on one person can look horrendous on another. I had to learn this lesson again the hard way. Damn dry skin! But if you have normal to oily skin this might just be the perfect foundation for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by katmac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product after watching Tiffany D on YouTube do multiple tutorials with it. I must say, it does live up to the hype in terms of coverage and wear. I put this on at 7 am and it still looked pretty good at 7 pm. I'm normal to combo, so not sure how uber oily ladies would do with this. Mat Velvet + comes in a nifty little squeeze bottle, allowing you to adjust the amount you use with minimal product waste and no product contamination. A little bit goes a long way, but I never found this to look cakey or heavy on my skin. Rather it provides a medium-full coverage that looks like skin and doesn't sink into lines, whether I used a primer or not.
After all this, sadly, Mat Velvet + fails to be a holy grail for me and won't be repurchased due to the pitiful color range. I'm NC20 (25 in summer)/light olive toned and could NOT get a good match. 20 was too light and required tons of bronzer, 30 much too pink, 40 had a great undertone but was much too dark. I suppose 20 and 40 mixed would work, but why should I have to mix when there are great foundations out there that make shades to match me? So all in all, a great formulation if you can find a match.