December 21, 2014 | 1541 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by Gltrbug

This is actually super light but has good coverage. It doesn't feel tight or cakey on my skin. I always get oily thru the day and this does a pretty good job of keeping me not so shiney (I still get oily but not as soon). I apply with a foundation brush and stipple for extra coverage. I use the Duo Matte as a finishing powder with a kabuki because I like a full coverage look, it also helps keep the shine down. I'm starting to get some fine lines and this doesn't settle in or emphasize them like I would think a matte foundation would. So far I am happy with it and plan to purchase again. I bought 20 (and 200 in Duo Matte) and it matches my pale skin perfect. (I used to wear MAC NW20 and it was a little dark but I was tanning then.) 20 has a beige undertone (the next shade lighter and darker are both pink based)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by rockangel04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This had about medium coverage for me and the shade range was somewhat good but it didn't really keep my matte like I wanted it too. It applies nicely and has a natural matte finish and it has relatively good staying power. I had been using a sample for a few days and I learned of this cosmetic database organization that rates the safety of cosmetics and this had the highest rating of being unsafe. Please forgive me as I do not remeber what the website is. But that sord of turned me off of this. Even if it was safe I probably wouldn't buy because it didn't do what I needed it to do. Suprisingly enough while I was on that website I seen how unsafe bare minerals is too, and they are suppose to have the foundation that is "good" for your skin but apparently not. I'm still likeing my MAC studio fix and will continue to stick with that unless something can top it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 2:21:00 AM More reviews by astronaut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This has been the only product that made a noticeable difference with my insanely oily teenage skin. I was VERY oily and was desperate so I used any mattifier I could get my hands on and even tried the Milk of Magnesia home remedy (which felt like my skin was burning...) I wear this foundation when I know I'm going to have a long rough day lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2011 3:25:00 AM More reviews by dzcml88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this foundation for around 2 weeks now, and was really concerned about it breaking me out, but so far, so good.

It feels nice on my skin, and isn't drying at all. Although, if you are prone to flakiness, I would recommend you try something else. If the extent of your flakiness isn't too bad however, you might like this this foundation if followed by a good exfoliation and moisturising/hydrating routine. I know I do =)
It also definitely lives up to its promise of keeping your skin matte. By matte, I don't mean flat (like MACs studio fix fluid), but it gives a surprisingly nice finish. I guess one would say "velvety"! I suppose what I'm trying to say it.. It keeps your skin looking like skin.
Coverage is fine. I have some bad-ish acne scarring, and I find that concealer isn't really that necessary anymore, unless I'm going for perfectly clear-looking skin.
Staying power is decent. Does not melt off, even in humid weather. Haven't tested its waterproof claims though.

Overall...
Pros:
1) Does not break me out! - Acne-prone skin friendly!!
2) Gives a good matte finish without taking out all the dimension from my face - relatively natural finish.
3) Pretty good coverage and staying power
4) Feels comfortable on my skin
5) Good for keeping oily skin at bay.
6) Buildable! and looks great applied with anything (fingers, brush, sponge)

Cons:
1) Could be less expensive =p
2) Not for those with flakey/ very dry skin
3) If you're looking for a medium-full coverage foundation, this is not it. - Concealer still needed if you're looking to cover everything.

I wouldn't really classify this as my absolute HG foundation just yet, as I'm always looking for better, but I do really like it, and I would repurchase it. I think that its a pretty darn good all-round foundation for its price range.
---------------
Update: After months of using this, I've realised that this makes me quite oily after a few hours. I do live in the tropics, but my new MUFE HD one doesn't! Am happier using that instead. Not removing any lippies, because it is quite a good foundation in more normal climates.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2011 11:00:00 AM More reviews by sjc11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted to love this foundation so badly. I really loved the coverage, and it was a great match for my skin color in the lightest shade. Finally, something that didn't turn orange! But my problem is that I'm using a skin regimen to clear my acne, and it's working but leaving me flaky, and this foundation is too drying for that and to be honest, it didn't even keep any oiliness at bay. I simply did not like the texture it left my skin with, and did not like the fact that not only did it pronounce on my flakes, but it also didn't even keep me matte. It just emphasized all my flaws and at the end of the day, I would not repurchase. I got it only a month or so ago so I think I'm actually going to return it. Too expensive to just rot in my makeup drawer.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by KGirl24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination/oily skin and I am prone to breakouts. My skin breaks out easily so I have to be very careful as to what I put on my face. This foundation did not break me out, which is a plus, however I did not find it suitable for my oily t-zone. When I would first put it on it looked very nice, velvety. After a few hours, maybe 4, my t-zone was extremely oily and the foundation became cakey. I was very disappointed because I really wanted to like this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2011 6:51:00 AM More reviews by missklinck

This product was just ok...I bought it over the summer, and the color is too dark for me to use right now. I am impressed with the level of coverage (medium - full). I do not think that this foundation lives up to its name though, because it does not keep you matte, and I am not very oily. I would repurchase, however, because it is a nice option when you want a full coverage foundation. I have since replaced this product with MUFE HD foundation, which I prefer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by jenam

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! It keeps my skin looking matte for at least half the day which is amazing for me. I wear No. 30 and it is a good match for my fair-light skin. It has great coverage but I do have to apply it quickly... it seems to set fast. I would recommend this foundation for anyone with oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by supergir

I loved this product!!
It does do what it claims its suppose to do. I have oily skin and this product managed to keep me oil-free all day. It stays put all day. Even when I sweat at the gym. If you use M.U.F.E. HD powder, you'll look flawless, even in pictures.
It's full coverage so your redness and breakouts will be covered. You'll only need a small amount.
I was not fond of the packaging at first. I've gotten used to the pump kinds from Smashbox. But after a while you'll get used to it. It is $6 cheaper than M.U.F.E. HD foundation so I believe it's expensive. However, if you DO have oily skin that's acne prone and want full coverage, this is the product to go for.
I have to say though, that if you want a cheaper alternative to this product go for Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation with Skin Clearing Complex. It does all what Mat Velvet Plus does, but it lacks the full coverage and it does keep your skin clear. And it's only $7 tops at most drugs stores.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by vintagepeople

I looove this stuff. I always use it when I want to look absolutely flawless. I do find that (and this is probably really obvious) the way this goes on depends drastically on how you prep your face. I always use Photo Finish, but I need to exfoliate if I want to use this because it accentuates every little dry spot (I have combination skin that's flaky dry in some places and an oil slick in others). On sunny days the matte-ness of this doesn't really live up to expectations, either, and the heaviness of it makes me think this wouldn't be very good for summertime. Regardless, when I have the time and inclination to fully do my face this is always the foundation I reach for.

Edit: Mat Velvet is seriously saving my life right now. I switched to Face Architect for every day, but I'm going through the breakout from hell, so I've been using this and it has just enough coverage to make me feel okay about showing my face, but not so much that I look like a mask. So happy that I have this.