Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 5/2/2011 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

While I can see how this would be a great foundation for some (nice texture, no strong odor) it was not right for me. I have dry skin (with some acne) that is easily managed with moisturizing cleansers and creams. I would start out with a fresh, dewy face (after moisture and primer) and once I applied this foundation I would have a dry, cakey canvas. Every crease and flake became painfully evident, and my face felt tight and itchy. I would not recommend this to anyone with dry skin.

This is a decent foundation, though I feel I was deceived with the amount of coverage I was going to get. I bought this when my skin wasn't that great, expecting full coverage. But I think it's a lot lighter coverage as it did not decently cover any of my red marks. On the bright side, it does even out the skin tone well and makes your skin look somehow nicer. I had to make sure that I moisturized really well right before putting on the foundation, because I noticed that when my skin was a bit drier, the foundation did not glide on as easily. If you have very oily skin, I do think that this foundation is somewhat mattifying but your skin won't stay matte for very long so you would still have to use a powder on top.

on 4/30/2011 11:28:00 PM

I've been using this for a long time. I love this foundation. I have oily and acne prone skin and this did not break me out. It is really matte so if you don't like that look you will not like it.

The only thing I would change is where they have the number of the color. Mine rubbed off after I finished the bottle and it was annoying to rematch my color again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This foundation is a joke. LOL Yes it does control oil and it is 100% matte. But it is super unnatural and cakey. I would rather blot my face a few times a day then to look made up and super unnatural. Coverage is high. The HD foundation on the other hand is not too bad. But unsuitable for oily skin.

on 4/25/2011 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation!
It's easy to apply, the coverage is smooth and 'velvety', it mattifies my terribly oily skin, and lasts pretty much the whole day!
I do get a bit of a shine at the end of the day, but it seems more like a healthy shine rather than an oily shine.
I'll definitely buy it again and again!

on 4/24/2011 7:27:00 PM

this foundation gives great coverage with a matte finish but it could get cakey sometimes. I like how it lasts for a long time (7-8 hours+) but for some reason i don't reach for this product a lot

on 4/23/2011 10:59:00 AM

I purchased this item because mac and studio gear make up got super oily by half the day. Mac even made me break out with a few itchy pimple like cyst .Im giving this a 3 because it does keep you from getting oily however I did look too dry and got small bumps all over my cheeks . The texture is gritty and not very velvet at all. I returned this after 3 days and visited the Laura mercier counter at nordstrom . My skin cleared in one day so it def was the foundation. If you re looking to just avoid out skin this would work but for over all complexion, I'd look elsewhere. I'd recommend Laura mercier 100%

on 4/21/2011 1:01:00 AM

After trying many foundations for my oily and acne prone skin, this seems to work the best. It lasts on my skin for a few hours before I need to touch up. It has moderate coverage, just enough to not use concealer (besides under eyes). I apply with MAC 187 and set with MUFE HD powder and touch up on the powder a few times a day. I don't like that by the end of the day, it seems to oxidize and things aren't covered so well. But it's quite good considering it hasn't broken me out after months of use and the bottle is lasting quite a long time. It has made me stay as matte as ever over other foundations; however, I do blot quite a few times a day. Would repurchase unless I find a better one.

on 4/19/2011 12:19:00 PM

Good product.
Pros:
great coverage, but do not look too fake - use just a little
price is reasonable
does not give me break-outs

Cons:
A bit too heavy in summer

on 4/19/2011 3:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

This is a very good, long wearing, medium to full coverage foundation that lasts me all day, controls oil and looks beautiful on.

Personally, I don't like such heavy coverage for day time wear but for evenings (especially when there is drinking and dancing (and sweating) to be had!) and the last thing I want to worry about is touch ups, this is perfect.

This is a fuller coverage than HD, so much so that I don't even need concealer (and I have pretty dark shadows under my eyes and in the corners by my nose). It sets beautifully with HD powder or is actually fine alone without being set.

This hid my pore issues very well and didn't accentuate any fine lines while controling oil.

Like I said above, for me it's too much for daytime but for evenings out it's great!