Chanel No.5

3.5

on 10/7/2007 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I will always love Chanel No. 5. I have the refillable perfume bottle, which I also love. I definitely agree that this one really has to work with your body chemistry, and it does for me - so you absolutely must really test it out and give it an hour to sit with you before you decide.

Definitely the most classic of all of the Chanels I wear.

on 10/6/2007 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I realy wanted to love this perfume due to its notoriety but unfortunately it is not for me. It's way too heavy and matronly for me. It could be a body chemistry thing but I took one sniff on my wrist and grimaced! For me, it smells to "chemical", lacking any lighter floral notes. It would suit some but I'll stick to Allure if I feel like Chanel.

on 10/6/2007 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm in mourning for the former No. 5 scent - such a classic; reminds me of going to church with my mom, who passed away 25 years ago. It had become my signature scent, too. I just purchased a new bottle of the eau de perfume and it doesn't smell ANYTHING like it used to. After reading here about the reformulation, I returned it to Nordstrom and the rep totally denied that it had been changed, blaming my age (47) for my change in what I thought it smelled like - how insulting! I'm now perfume-less and am on a hunt for my new one. My old faves are Chance and Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, but I really loved No.5. I also have a hard time finding a fragrance that doesn't give me a headache and makes me feel nauseous. Sooooooo bummed.

on 10/3/2007 5:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Too much aldehyde! Really does not work for me.

on 9/28/2007 1:19:00 AM

smells like soap. it is not complex, fruity, floral, youthful, or groundbreaking. It smells like a strong soap your strict great aunt would have in her bathroom.

on 9/25/2007 11:47:00 AM

I really wanted to like it as it's such an icon, but it's just too strong for me. The sandalwood note is so prominent it reminds me of a certain soap. It smells not bad at the department counter, and I guess there are so many perfumes in the air, my nose gets numb so this strong one takes note? I can't wear it alone and it easily overwhem any other scent, so now its a deco on my dresser.

on 9/21/2007 11:18:00 PM

I really love this perfume. I wear it for all special occasions. My HG fragrance. Lovely scent and I always get compliments when I have this on. My husband is also a big fan!!!

on 9/21/2007 1:28:00 PM

My grandma used to work in Women's fragrances and this is her all-time favorite. This smell brings back memories of being a little girl and smelling her perfume. I definitely believe that if you are going to wear this fragrance, the pure parfum version is the only way to go. The EDP to me smells just like baby powder, which is not a scent that I am particularly fond of. However, the parfum, while still powdery, also smells like jasmine, which is lovely. Chanel no.5 is still not "me" though, because I prefer scents that are more intoxicating, and they usually have much warmer notes than this. I'd much rather wear Allure, or one of my all-time favorites, Coco Mademoiselle. Still sophisticated, but more my style. Perhaps it is convenient that I am not a fan of no.5, because my boyfriend detests it. I do appreciate this fragrance for being an elegant, timeless classic though.

on 9/15/2007 10:39:00 PM

I'll never forget when i first tried this. I was 13, and i tried one of those paper ads that come it the mail, and i was hooked. i loved it. at first it smelled kind of like a pretty warm baby powder. very smooth and warm and pretty. i didnt get that first thought of an "old lady" smell when i tried it. that never came to my mind. i just had to have it after that though and i begged my dad to get it for my birthday. when we went out to get it i also fell in love with coco mademoielle, so he got me that for christmas a year later. i think its best for the fall winter months, or just whenever you wanna feel extra special. i think with this you just HAVE to get the EP, or else your not doing it justice. its always going to be my HG.

on 9/14/2007 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I worked for Chanel so I had plenty of opportunities to try each of their fragrances and wear them a few times.

I never liked Chanel 5 edt or edp, it was too strong for me. However I LOVED the scent of the body products. They were softer and more of what I hoped the fragrance itself would be. My favorite was the Voile Parfume, the alcohol free mist that was discontinued in the number 5 line awhile back. (I hoarded all I could!)

Then came Elixir Sensuel, which was an even better version of the Voile. The great thing about this scent is that you can find a strength or combination of body products to layer, to create the perfect version for YOU.

Popular Fragrances