Chanel No.5

3.5

on 9/15/2007 10:39:00 PM

I'll never forget when i first tried this. I was 13, and i tried one of those paper ads that come it the mail, and i was hooked. i loved it. at first it smelled kind of like a pretty warm baby powder. very smooth and warm and pretty. i didnt get that first thought of an "old lady" smell when i tried it. that never came to my mind. i just had to have it after that though and i begged my dad to get it for my birthday. when we went out to get it i also fell in love with coco mademoielle, so he got me that for christmas a year later. i think its best for the fall winter months, or just whenever you wanna feel extra special. i think with this you just HAVE to get the EP, or else your not doing it justice. its always going to be my HG.

on 9/14/2007 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I worked for Chanel so I had plenty of opportunities to try each of their fragrances and wear them a few times.

I never liked Chanel 5 edt or edp, it was too strong for me. However I LOVED the scent of the body products. They were softer and more of what I hoped the fragrance itself would be. My favorite was the Voile Parfume, the alcohol free mist that was discontinued in the number 5 line awhile back. (I hoarded all I could!)

Then came Elixir Sensuel, which was an even better version of the Voile. The great thing about this scent is that you can find a strength or combination of body products to layer, to create the perfect version for YOU.

on 9/14/2007 2:15:00 PM

Yep, bittlerly dissapointed in the reformulated version. Both MM and Coco are turning in their respective graves. Missing that 'something'...

on 9/12/2007 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Chanel No. 5 EDP is -or *WAS* - a fool proof fragrance.

Any woman could have worn it and even if it wasn't "you" it was still pleasant. On me it would start off crisp, clean, & effervescent and settle down into a soft, powdery skin but better scent. Others might have smelled "old lady" but on me it ended up, "cute little girl."

Today I sprayed some on. It started a ghost of it's former self. Began fading the second it hit my skin, and had some strange smells in it.

I don't know what the notes are, but they're weird. I can remember there were times when I would smell a little something kind of "off" in the older EDP. Something a little sharp, crude, & citrussy. Nothing scary, just enough to make it interesting and as soon as you smelled it, it vanished. Covered up by the other notes that are so much more beautiful.

The EDP that I sampled today seemed to be almost *ALL* of those weird notes and hardly any of the beautiful ones. I sprayed it on at around 12pm and I could hardly smell it even with my nose pressed to my wrist by 12:30pm.

I feel bad because I think Chanel has gone seriously down hill. Maybe it's a way of cutting costs but it's horrible.

I wouldn't purchase it (knowingly). It's very sad.

on 9/4/2007 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I used to think that this perfume was so strong and too spicy for me. But after shunning a lot of different perfumes (I totally outgrew the floral thing--Issey Miyake, Vera Wang princess, Lancome hypnose, etc etc, allergic to a lot of different ones), but recently I have become totally addicted to this perfume. I used the gel elixir that they have which is AWESOME if you think the perfume is too strong. Today I purchased the Eau de toilette and i love it. Fortunately it totally suits me; when it goes on its a little strong but when it settles in it smells fabulous....everyone is different though but for me this smell is absolutely divine. I love it and will totally keep buying it! Btw the EDP is totally different from the EDT, the EDT is definitely a lot better. Hm I think Ive discovered why this was marilyn monroe's favorite perfume :D

on 9/3/2007 1:44:00 AM

Nothing sparkles like Chanel No. 5 EDP--the aldehydes in it are like pure champagne, and the first spritz is almost painfully sharp and fizzy. Let it sit. Let it sink in. The sparkle never fully disappears, but it dissipates to reveal the warm heart underneath. Old-fashioned? Yes. But it's also endlessly charming and reassuringly beautiful. If all perfumes were to fall away except this one, I'd be sad...but a world without Chanel No. 5? That would be heartbreaking.

I don't care for this scent. When it's just out of the bottle it smells like a clean fresh breeze. If it stayed this way I would love it. I have to agree with another reviewer that it becomes old and musty smelling. I think some people wear it, because it reminds them of a loved one who wore it, and this makes sense to me. It's one of those unmistakable scents, so that in itself makes it special.

on 8/19/2007 9:55:00 AM

It starts out with a burst of aldehydes and flowers, in the middle it has a soft downy musk scent. The dry down almost has a resiny soft amberish fragrance note to it. I loved the original.

Sadly, I went to Sephora and spritzed on some and it was not what I described above. It has been reformulated into a sharp cloying chemical fragrance. In other words, they have removed any natural resins and replaced with cheap chemical notes.

If you can find a vintage or older version of this perfume it is incredible. If you can only find a newer version of this classic fragrance, skip it.

I am only giving this a 3 based on the new formulation. If I were reviewing the formulation from a year or two ago it would get 5 lippies.

on 8/16/2007 4:04:00 PM

I don't see the allure of No.5 at all. My mom has a bottle, it's so strong and nauseating! Someone else said it right when they said it makes you think of old money. That's true - very OLD money! When I smell it I think of a little old rich lady wearing a fur coat and tons of makeup. Artificial and stuffy. I honestly think if famous people hadn't endorsed it and the brand wasn't Chanel it would never have been so popular.

on 8/8/2007 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I really wanted to like Chanel No. 5 because it is considered such a 'classic' scent. So last weekend my cousin and I were in Macy's and we tried it. This scent to me smells very old, so 'classic' is definitely the appropriate term. I hate to describe anything as an 'old lady' smell, but No. 5 really is. However, my cousin adored it, so different smells for everyone, but I was not impressed with it or the price tag either. As someone mentioned earlier, Coco Madmesoille smells very nice.

Popular Fragrances