Revlon ColorStay Whipped Crème Makeup

3.9

Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Water, Isododecane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silk Powder, Alumina, Polyisobutene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Cyclodextrin, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica, Methicone, Sodium Chloride, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica Silylate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol --- MAY CONTAIN (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxide, CI 77947/Zinc Oxide)

on 4/14/2013 6:54:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I'm a fan of Revlon even though they're a drugstore product so I decided to try this a while back. While the coverage is full, its very tacky. I had to set it with powder which just adds to it's cakeyness. The palest shade is too dark for me, I'm 110 in Maybelline Fit me and shade 15 in Makeup Forever HD Mat Velvet and Nars Siberia, all other brands that I've tried (covergirl, lancome, clinique, etc) are all too dark and not yellow enough.
It does stay a decent amount of time from what I can remember and for me, it photographed well. If you use this everyday though, it will probably make you break out. This is the only foundation that has ever made me break out and I think its due to the thick consistency.
I will not be repurchasing.

I am an NC 15 Mac. Bought this in Buff. Good color match. Loved the texture and wear. Picking is horrible (not that Revlon will listen). The threading inside the cap is such flimsy plastic that it croaked over the course of three months and the jar would no longer stay closed! Had to throw it out. Waste of money. Using the new liquid formulation now. It is much better than the old.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Update 4/15
After wearing this product through a couple workdays and throughout the weekend and also FINALLY applying it with a beauty blender, I can definitively say this makes it into HG status. If you do anything with this product, use a beauty blender sponge. Even the fake ones. It makes every gripe you may have about this product go away and leaves only the positive aspects of it. For example, the tackiness people have talked about? Dot the foundation on your face, then dab in with a wet beauty blender. Suddenly much less tackiness (although I do have to say this foundation naturally leans towards a slightly dewy finish, but for me that seems to go away as the day progresses). Also, I mentioned before that the coverage is great, but had to say the finish didn't blow me away. While it didn't look cakey, it didn't look quite natural either. But after a wet beauty blender? The most natural, airbrushed perfect look you've ever achieved. My mother was literally speechless when I told her I was wearing the same foundation I was yesterday after I started using the beauty blender - that's how good my skin looked (I should note I also have terrible skin - acne, scarring, dark marks etc). But after using a wet beauty blender it was perfect, even, airbrushed, with a soft glow. Last of all, somehow the color match seems better and doesn't oxidize after applying with a beauty blender. I know, it sounds impossible, I'm not sure how or why either, only that it works. I think *maybe* that applying with fingers left a definitive foundation line around the jaw so it was easier to tell the color difference, while the sponge seems to blend better. I mentioned in my earlier review that the shade "330 True Beige" wasn't yellow enough? You can't even tell after using a beauty blender. Do try it, this foundation is really damn good by itself but with a beauty blender it's just AMAZING. I don't even use a real beauty blender. I don't even use the Sonia Kashuk knock off. I use the Target knock off of the Sonia Kashuk knock off of the Original Beauty Blender sponge. It was $4.99 and possibly the best investment I've ever made in my life.

------------------------
First impression: God. Damn.

I should note today is the first time I've used the product, I applied at around 7am this morning and it's nearly 12 noon so it's been a legitimate 5 hours and it only seems to look better and better as each hour passes. I should also note that I've always been a whipped creme foundation skeptic - I find the texture nice but gimmicky and doesn't quite work well with my combo/dehydrated skin and make the flakes stand out. I can't say I've ever quite warmed up to the idea and after a few bad experiences I simply stopped wasting money on them. Enter Colorstay Whipped Creme - even as I looked at it in the Target aisle, my brain screamed "Gimmick" but as I hopped on my phone and checked out MUA, it was obvious the reviews said otherwise. I know everyone has their favorites that they hang onto for decades, but I actually do believe in trying the newest launched products sometimes - technology and formulas grow more advanced every year, and I've had so many experiences where I used to swear by so-and-so HE product 2 years ago, only to realize that this year formulas got so sleek I actually like a DS product that does the same damn thing even better.

Colorstay Whipped Creme is kind of like that. I was literally on my way out to buy the MAC Pro Longwear foundation to match the Pro Longwear concealer I have, when I found a whopping nearly 70% rating on MUA for this product. This is, in many ways very much like the Pro Longwear line from MAC. It has fantastic coverage, and has claims to last an incredibly long amount of time (24 hours, but come on). Since I'm only 5 hours in, I'll have to add my post experiences with this makeup later. The finish is quite similar as well, I find it not overly matte and not overly shiny either. So far so good on the oil control, but I should note that grease isn't a huge problem for me. I bought a beauty blender just for this product since the reviews said to, but truthfully I just used my fingers this morning and it looks so perfect I can't imagine it getting much better with a sponge. Will try and update all the same. Seriously, do try this. The packaging, consistency, and most of all the performance really reminds me of a much higher end product. I love it.

The drawbacks, as others have mentioned, is the bulky packaging which, while looks nice and feels heavy/expensive on your boudoir, doesn't travel so well and takes up like half your MU bag. Also the fact that yes, it is a DS line and therefore color selection is limited.

My favorite part is that this works well as the single skin product you use in the morning - nothing else needed - and looks beautiful doing it. This lasts so long and glides on so well that you don't really need a primer, it functions amazing as a foundation, has high enough coverage as a concealer (I just dab a bit more under my eyes, around my nose, over any discolorations/acne), and isn't breaking down throughout the day so it really doesn't seem like one would need to set with a powder either. For reference, I am NC35 (ish), asian with definitive yellow tones, and the shade 330 True Beige is close enough to my skin color that I'm very satisfied with my purchase. If anything, it can still be more yellow, but for all intensive purposes it looks fine indoors in office lighting for me. I've heard many NC35 girls say "320 Warm Golden" is too light/not yellow enough/looks ashy, and others say the next shade above "340 Natural Tan" doesn't work either. 330 is right in the middle... try it.

All in all, if you can find a proper color match, I say take the plunge and buy this product. There's definitely no point in buying something more expensive out there when this works just as well and may look just as good/better on you.

on 4/11/2013 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

his foundation is my HG. I used to use revlon CS liquid for years until this came along. I tried it out and the color "buff" (lightest shade) matches my skin way better than the liquid. It has more of a brown/tan shade than orange so it looks completely natural. It goes on creamy and smooth and provides perfect, full coverage. it looks like my skin. It blends really easily and you only need a tiny bit. I use this with a beauty blender knock off and its amazing!

UPDATE: I don't know If the formula has changed but this foundation now oxidizes terribly and makes me neon orange. what a shame!

When I first bought this product, I hated it. I was applying it with my fingers and then with several different brushes and it just looked like a clumpy, cakey, overdone mess.

But then I tried applying it with a sponge and everything changed.

I'd always thought sponges absorbed too much product to be useful but they work perfectly for this foundation and give a perfect seamless finish to the face. This foundation DOES NOT like brushes.

Now I prime with Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel and apply a few small dabs of the foundation all around my face, concentrating on the middle portion. Then, I blend the dabs in with a small makeup sponge. For all-day wear, I dust lightly with AirSpun powder (not my favorite but it's what I have) and it lasts all day. I find blush 'sticks' to this foundation well.

Price: Varies, $11-$15

Coverage: Medium to Full (2 layers is Medium-Full for me)

Finish: Natural bordering on dewy

Texture: A bit slippery; this doesn't set as much as the liquid Colorstay does. It will transfer a bit if you blow your nose or scratch your face. I find it wears off my nose by the end of the day.

Color: I'm NW20 and I mix Ivory and Buff for a perfect match.

Scent: Not as obnoxious as the liquid Colorstay but does have a faint plastic/paint aroma that goes away.

Final Word: While expensive for a drugstore foundation, Revlon Colorstay Whipped is a good alternative if you're looking for a foundation with the stronger coverage of liquid Colorstay in an easier-to-work-with texture and a more natural, skin-like finish. Use a sponge for seamless, non-streaky application.

I use the foundation in my oily t-zone. I first prime w Laura Mercier and follow with this foundation, set with powder and spray Urban Decay setting spray. This combination has kept my face looking matte and fresh the longest out of any foundation! Definitely worth trying.

Prime + Foundation, Powder + Setting Spray!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have Revlon ColorStay Whipped Crème Makeup in 160 Rich Ginger & 340 Caramel, which are the two darkest shades available. Of course, Rich Ginger was too light & Caramel was too dark for me; ah, the lovely troubles of dark skin! I decided I'm going to wear Caramel until it's finished because I'd rather my foundation be a couple shades too dark than too light. There could (obviously) be a better variety for people with dark/black skin. Don't pick your shade based on the packaging for the reason that it isn't true to color.

Anyway, this foundation does last through the day & I love the semi-matte finish. For those of you w/ oily skin like me, it works best with a good primer. If you have oily or combination skin in general, it's a good makeup to try! Its thickness makes it easy to use because it doesn't run, spill, or streak. I just apply it with my fingers & smooth is out. I don't use a brush or makeup sponge since this spreads all over my face smoothly. The full coverage is perfect & blends into my skin quickly & evenly without a caked on look. This is one of my favorite foundations.

on 4/6/2013 10:27:00 PM

Holy Grail.

First of all, I have very oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin and - to make matters worse - I live in the extremely humid city of Houston. I have tried every foundation available that boasts long-wearing and oil absorbing properties - from Revlon Colorstay to MAC to Estee Lauder's Double Wear - and nothing has ever stayed on my skin without turning into an oily mess by the end of the day.

That being said, this foundation is an absolute godsend. I am between an NC 20-25 (I have yellow neutral/yellow undertones) and wear this foundation in the color Nude. Although I typically wear Medium Beige in the original Combo/Oily Colorstay foundation, the whipped formulation is slightly darker than the original liquid. This foundation makes my skin absolutely flawless and semi-matte all day.

For those with skin like mine, here is the routine I use to achieve flawless, oil-free skin all day: first, prep your skin with witch hazel. Then, prime your skin with Milk of Magnesia. After this, apply the Revlon Whipped Creme Foundation with fingers and gently pat out any streaks with a moist Beauty Blender - apply two layers for full coverage and conceal as needed. Lastly, blot any excess foundation with a tissue and press Maybelline Dream Matte Powder - I use the color Beige - into skin with a puff and finish you makeup routine.

For anyone struggling to find peace with their extremely oily skin, I hope this information helps!

PLEASE READ IF YOU TEND TO BREAKOUT A LOT!
When I first bought this product I thought it worked perfectly, good coverage, it had a little orangish tint in natural light but it wasn't as bad as other foundations. After about a month of using this stuff my face starting getting worse and worse! Like the type of breakouts you see on Proactiv commercials! My face is now recovering from the horrible breakout this foundation caused. If you aren't the type of person that breaks out easily then this product will probaly work good for you, but if you are like me with oily skin that tends to breakout a lot do not buy this product! It's not worth ruining your skin!

on 4/6/2013 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like this product! It really has staying power. To use, I first apply a good primer (Laura Mercier has been great), concealer if needed, and then dip a finger in the product and dot it lightly over my face, maybe 10-15 times. I then use a flat-top kabuki brush (I think mine is Sonia Kashuk) in circular motions to buff it over my face. This gives me a great airbrushed look! I've grown to prefer it over any of my other foundations (MAC, MUFE Mat + Velvet, etc). Give it a go!

Popular Crème Foundations