September 1, 2014 | 1950 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this stuff for so many things! it is a staple for me. I totally disagree with the reviewer below who says this should not have a smell - it should! if you are using coconut oil with no scent you are using a highly refined coconut oil that will not have as many nutrients for your hair and skin. Get extra virgin UNrefined oil. it has a delicious coconut smell (of course, it is pure coconut oil)! :-) I use this to :
- clean my makeup off at night. rub it into my face, then cleanse off with warm water and a cleanser.
- moisturize after my shower, like a lotion
- as a hair mask before shampooing, once every other week. makes my hair shiny and bouncy!
I also love cooking with it and eating it on toast, YUM! :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 1:31:00 AM More reviews by babybaby2009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i love coconut oil and use it on my hair and my skin and on my fiances face and scalp. this stuff is amazing! i purchased mine at patel brothers which is an indian food market which is by my home. it has no smell to it, as it is only coconut oil. oil should not have scent to it i believe the ones who have scent and are purchased at wmart and make people break out are in the black hair section and not meant for the face etc. i use many black hair products since they are so rich and my hair is so curly and dry. but the coconut oil i have has NO scent at all. i think people here are using two diff things.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I use extra-virgin organic coconut oil.
It is a 'solid oil' and requires some warming up before use.
It smells great. It is an oil actually penetrates the hair shaft. Makes my hair shiny without being greasy. I coat my dry hair with this then put it up and let it soak then use a mild shampoo to wash it out. I can really tell a difference in my hair's health since using this.
This is a staple in my bathroom, and in my beauty regimen.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2011 12:53:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

In the jar, it is a solid paste, i.e. you can scoop it out but it does separate easily so do this on a sink to catch it or it will leave a mess everywhere. I scooped it out, using about 2 -3 tablespoons for waist length very dry and damaged and coloured hair. I took out about 1/2 tb each time, and then melting it in my hands. Once melted, I slathered it in my hair until it seemed soaked in, doing pieces at a time, 1" away from the roots to the ends. It took me a while. Then, I stroked some more. Then I put my hair up in a clip and went to play computer games for about an hour. When I took my hair it, it didn't feel oily actually, and when I went to wash it, it washed nicely, no problems at all. I did detangle while I was putting the oil in my hair so combing through the conditioner was easy afterwards. I see that the longer you leave it in your hair, the more it absorbs and the less oil you will see in the wash, if any to be honest. Yes, it helped my hair, my hair felt softer and easier to manage in the shower, it lathered enough, it squeaked at the roots (I only wash the roots basically and let the shampoo run through the hair easily), and the conditioner seemed to take better. After the shampoo and conditioner, I put in Marrakesh oil, about 10 squirts instead of my usual 20, two squirts of Aveda Smooth, and combed through then put it up in the same clip to air dry. Later I will style it by flat ironing - the litmus test of conditioning treatments! Will update if anything interesting happens! But give it a lot of time in the hair, and I would not use this on the skin it is very oily although my nails feel conditioned now.

UPDATE: OK styled my hair flat iron and it is fantastic. Hair was soft, natural, moved really nicely - I haven't seen it this nice for a very long time. I will definitely be using coconut oil again. Remember, it is a crumbly paste, melt it, massage into your hair, leave it as long as you possibly can, the longer the better, normal wash condition and style. Smell does not stay in. No extra shampooing or rinsing needed at all.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Freckledflower

I bought this as a hair treatment. It does make your hair soft but TAKES forever to wash out. I don't use very much but I guess its just too much for my fine hair. I would actually have kept using it but it made me break out so badly around my hair line. To fight this, I put a hair cap on to keep it off my face only two wake up the next morning with FIVE huge cystic pimples on my ears and lobes. I bought the organic extra virgin type. If you are acne prone I suggest using it only on a small area first and see how your skin reacts

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by mirandajulian

Would I buy this product again? Hell yes! Something weird happened to my skin a few weeks ago - I had itchy dry bumpy patches on my arms/legs/chest and had a terrible hive breakout on my face - I think the patches were due to some reaction to a Bath and Body bath gel I was using. I think my face was due to an allergic reaction to arbutin a a serum I was using - ANYWAY - I started using coconut oil as a body moistruizer and within three days, my skin is baby smooth and the patches are smoothing out. Gllllloooorrrrrious!!!! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 11:28:00 AM More reviews by thedogismine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

in and on my body, coconut oil is awesome! it helped grow my hair out so now my hair is going down my back. great in green protein smoothies. my facial skin is usually oily, but when it is dry coconut oil solves it without having to slather on a bunch of chemicals on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 6:06:00 PM More reviews by fkngabi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought mine at vitamin shoppe for 9$. I recommend only purchasing the extra virgin unrefined coconut oil to ensure it's pure. I use coconut oil mainly as a pre-treatment on my hair. What I do is scoop out about a teaspoon full and distribute it all through my dry hair (I know some people wet their hair, but I feel like it works better when used on dry hair) I also massage some onto my scalp. Then I cover my hair with a plastic bag and use a blow dryer periodically to ensure the coconut oil absorbs into my hair. Sometimes I tend to just leave it on over night. Next morning I just wash off using V05 clarifying shampoo. I have never had a problem with my hair looking greasy, and I have very fine hair. However I do make sure to shampoo very well, and take my time rinsing. I use coconut oil about once a week, or whenever I'm gonna be doing a treatment on my hair. I heard coconut oil is one of the only oils proven that actually can get into the hair cuticle, and I see a lot of improvement in my hair since I've started using this. I can't say for sure it's just the coconut oil alone, since I have been doing protein and moisturizing treatments along with using coconut oil. I highly recommend this, it's inexpensive and there is so many uses for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Thalia773

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

absolutely awesome, I actually buy Whole Foods virgin coconut oil as its very reasonably priced and I go through ALOT. I use it everywhere I do put it lightly on my forhead and around my eyes before bed, its a great moisturizer and I also make oatmeat with a few dark chocolate chips and a teaspoon of oil. It will keep you regular, I also read that it can help people with a sluggish thyroid, many many good things about VIRGIN coconut oil thats the key must be virgin or its not very good. great to put on feet and then put your socks on (at bedtime) wake up with feet as smooth as a babys bottom. it helps with skin rashes, I get a rash on the upper part of my arms sometimes when I have been in the sun too long - strange almost like I am allergic to the sun, I put the coconut oil on and its gone..I put it on after shaving my legs to keep them from drying out or getting bumpy..I have melted it and put sugar in for an all over body scrub, works fantastic. I just saw all the postings and wanted to add my feedback as well..excellent for soo many things just google it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Mindy919

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am in love with this. Coconut oil is the very best moisturizer I have ever found for skin and hair and it cheers me up to slather it on in winter because it smells like a tropical paradise. I can't use it on my face because it does break me out, but on the rest of my skin it's perfect, and this is the 1st winter in 5 years that I haven't gotten psoriasis and I thank coconut oil. I also googled "coconut oil benefits" and found a long list of health benefits as far as eating/cooking with it so I have started doing that. I put a teaspoon in my oatmeal or melt a tsp. On my cornflakes every morning. The benefits are similar in many ways to fish oil but without the awful taste. I just got mine at Wal-Mart in the section with the vitamins.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No