July 30, 2014 | 1129 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Freckledflower

I bought this as a hair treatment. It does make your hair soft but TAKES forever to wash out. I don't use very much but I guess its just too much for my fine hair. I would actually have kept using it but it made me break out so badly around my hair line. To fight this, I put a hair cap on to keep it off my face only two wake up the next morning with FIVE huge cystic pimples on my ears and lobes. I bought the organic extra virgin type. If you are acne prone I suggest using it only on a small area first and see how your skin reacts

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by mirandajulian

Would I buy this product again? Hell yes! Something weird happened to my skin a few weeks ago - I had itchy dry bumpy patches on my arms/legs/chest and had a terrible hive breakout on my face - I think the patches were due to some reaction to a Bath and Body bath gel I was using. I think my face was due to an allergic reaction to arbutin a a serum I was using - ANYWAY - I started using coconut oil as a body moistruizer and within three days, my skin is baby smooth and the patches are smoothing out. Gllllloooorrrrrious!!!! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 11:28:00 AM More reviews by thedogismine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

in and on my body, coconut oil is awesome! it helped grow my hair out so now my hair is going down my back. great in green protein smoothies. my facial skin is usually oily, but when it is dry coconut oil solves it without having to slather on a bunch of chemicals on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 6:06:00 PM More reviews by fkngabi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought mine at vitamin shoppe for 9$. I recommend only purchasing the extra virgin unrefined coconut oil to ensure it's pure. I use coconut oil mainly as a pre-treatment on my hair. What I do is scoop out about a teaspoon full and distribute it all through my dry hair (I know some people wet their hair, but I feel like it works better when used on dry hair) I also massage some onto my scalp. Then I cover my hair with a plastic bag and use a blow dryer periodically to ensure the coconut oil absorbs into my hair. Sometimes I tend to just leave it on over night. Next morning I just wash off using V05 clarifying shampoo. I have never had a problem with my hair looking greasy, and I have very fine hair. However I do make sure to shampoo very well, and take my time rinsing. I use coconut oil about once a week, or whenever I'm gonna be doing a treatment on my hair. I heard coconut oil is one of the only oils proven that actually can get into the hair cuticle, and I see a lot of improvement in my hair since I've started using this. I can't say for sure it's just the coconut oil alone, since I have been doing protein and moisturizing treatments along with using coconut oil. I highly recommend this, it's inexpensive and there is so many uses for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Thalia773

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

absolutely awesome, I actually buy Whole Foods virgin coconut oil as its very reasonably priced and I go through ALOT. I use it everywhere I do put it lightly on my forhead and around my eyes before bed, its a great moisturizer and I also make oatmeat with a few dark chocolate chips and a teaspoon of oil. It will keep you regular, I also read that it can help people with a sluggish thyroid, many many good things about VIRGIN coconut oil thats the key must be virgin or its not very good. great to put on feet and then put your socks on (at bedtime) wake up with feet as smooth as a babys bottom. it helps with skin rashes, I get a rash on the upper part of my arms sometimes when I have been in the sun too long - strange almost like I am allergic to the sun, I put the coconut oil on and its gone..I put it on after shaving my legs to keep them from drying out or getting bumpy..I have melted it and put sugar in for an all over body scrub, works fantastic. I just saw all the postings and wanted to add my feedback as well..excellent for soo many things just google it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Mindy919

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am in love with this. Coconut oil is the very best moisturizer I have ever found for skin and hair and it cheers me up to slather it on in winter because it smells like a tropical paradise. I can't use it on my face because it does break me out, but on the rest of my skin it's perfect, and this is the 1st winter in 5 years that I haven't gotten psoriasis and I thank coconut oil. I also googled "coconut oil benefits" and found a long list of health benefits as far as eating/cooking with it so I have started doing that. I put a teaspoon in my oatmeal or melt a tsp. On my cornflakes every morning. The benefits are similar in many ways to fish oil but without the awful taste. I just got mine at Wal-Mart in the section with the vitamins.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 12:15:00 PM More reviews by chrissypoo327

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I recently discovered coconut oil. I'm not crazy about the smell, but it does dissipate pretty quickly. I noticed, too, as another poster said, that my legs, which would usually be dry and flaky by the evening, were still nice and soft and moisturized. So glad for the tips for hair use .. thanks, ladies ... am going to try that today!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by isavella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What everyone else said. I use this in my hair, as an all-over body moisturizer, in food, as the BEST lube ever (it's edible! bonus!), as an eye makeup remover. Sometimes, I put it on just to smell it. Sometimes I lick my fingers after applying...maybe...ok, totally. My only complaint is that I always want to cover myself in it, and when I try to do that to my face, I DO break out (but I break out from everything). In order to not make this review totally useless, I have a tip. If you're trying to grow your hair, I've found that in conjunction with a sulfate/silicone free hair regime, lightly oiling the length of your hair before bed every night REALLY helps with growth. The oil penetrates well (esp. w/out the hindrance of 'cones) and moisturizes, protects, etc. Washes out easily in the a.m.

ETA 1/9/13: I still stand by the above review. However I have found some more great things about CO. I believe oil pulling with it has really helped clear up my skin, and I started ingesting it (2-3 tbsp a day + cooking with it) and I have never felt better, AND it's helping with post-baby weight loss.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 6:19:00 AM More reviews by rjones

I have been using this stuff for years. I use it as a moisturizer and then add my lotion on top of it. I also use it as a supplement to control an auto immune disorder that I have, to relieve joint pain and it also keeps me.... um.. regular. After years of limping and aching with pain I am feeling better than I have in 20 years. At my age (hey! dont ask!) that is serious business to me.
I also use it for cooking but its best use EVER is as a personal lubricant. Please know that this product is anti fungal and therefore it is perfect for this use.
Also, since it is anti fungal it makes a great moisturizer and siftener for your feet. Lotions can cause so much moisture that not only can it be uncomfortable because your feet sweat but this can cause fungus.
I only use thjis product on my hair just before I am going to wash it. It makes my hair brittle and crunchy.
I do suggest that you spend the extra money and buy the extra virgin coconut oil. If you just cant stand the smell ( I LOVE it! but understand some dont) then buy virgin coconut oil.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 4:08:00 AM More reviews by brend

I mix a bit of this with my body lotion (any body lotion) and it just makes the lotion work better and last longer (you know how after you apply a body lotion in the morning, it has usually disappeared by the time you reach the office...). I usually have to moisturize twice a day, after my morning and evening shower, or else I will start to itch (especially my legs), but I noticed that after regularly using this coconut oil mix, I can afford to be lazy and skip the nightly moisturizing ritual for a night or two without my skin starting to look and feel dry. I took one lippie off the overall rating because of the smell...I know some people love it, but it can be overpowering.
I have tried using it as a hair conditioner (shampoo, oil wrap, shampoo off) but it left my hair hard and "crispy".