October 1, 2014 | 1208 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by RhianNoot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Coconut Oil is an amazing product at an excellent price. I use a small amount this oil every other morning as a scalp/hair treatment about an hour to 2 hours before I wash my hair - I wake up hours before work so have plenty of time to do this - shampooing twice cleans the excess oil off my hair and I no longer need to use a conditioner on my fine curly hair, which has been nice as I didn't realize just how much conditioners had been weighing down my hair. I also use it every other day as a body moisturiser, it can take a while to absorb into my skin but leaves my skin the softest it has ever felt.
Despite cleansing and moisturizing my face with oils for a couple of years now I am hesitant to do so with coconut oil, however I am almost at the end of my first tub and will purchase a better grade of the oil for this purpose (I chose a fairly cheap version for my body and hair to see how it would perform before over-spending on yet another product that sits in the bathroom doing nothing, I have been using Superdrug's own brand Coconut Oil at 1.99, the organic virgin coconut oils are closer to 15.).
I hadn't even considered cooking with it until reading other reviews here and after looking into some of the health benefits I shall definitely be trying that too.
Coconut Oil is a definite repurchase for me, anything to reduce the amount of crap on my bathroom shelves and this little tub of wonder has certainly earned the right to remain in my hair/body regimen - simple and effective, just what I like!

NOTE
Not a 5 lippie review yet as I haven't tried it on my face but will update once I finish my current oil cleanser and purchase a better coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by reginita2008

100% organic cold-pressed Coconut Oil.
Just amazing...
I'm 45 so I have tried hundreds of different products, cheap and expensive, but I have to say this was really one big surprise to me.
There is just nothing better for moisturizing dry skin.
Solid when cold, it melts soflty in your hands, just a very small amount (half a teaspoon) is enough for one complete leg.
Smells fantastic (good quality oil should just send a hint of coconut aroma), feels even better on the skin.
As hair treatment there is just nothing better, use a little (dime-size), rub it before styling or use it for shine on curly hair.
I recommend it 100%.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by dstuyvesant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using coconut oil mixed with my shampoo every day for the past 6 months and it's the best thing I've done for it. My hair is naturally very curly and dyed since I went gray early. Curly hair is thirsty hair and my hair drinks this right up. This is the healthiest my hair has been in over 15 yrs.
I will keep buying.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2011 9:23:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I wish I had read the negative reviews on this page before tried using coconut oil as a beauty product. I've eaten it, it's great for that, but as a beauty product I found that the pros and cons of using it were both so extreme that they cancelled each other out!

Pros: if I melt a tiny scoop of the oil -- about the size of an M&M -- in my palms and run it over my hair as a pre-wash hair protectant, it keeps my hair hydrated, helps it grow longer, and makes it thicker. I have fine hair, so thicker hair from an oil is a bonus. I also get extremely shiney hair from using this oil and I have had comments about how beautiful my hair has been looking lately. Coconut oil works great as a shine treatment on dry hair too. I really liked using it as a shine treatment because most commercial shine treatments contain cyclopentaxiloxane, which I am allergic to. I have also tried using it to make my eyelashes longer the same way that people use castor oil for eyelash growth, it really works.

The cons: it reacts VERY badly with my skin. If I get some of this on my face or even on my scalp, I get breakouts. Also contact with coconut oil made the skin on my face rougher. I have never had rough facial skin before! I think this oil clogs pores. I don't find the oil to be particularly moisturizing on my legs either.

If your skin is compatible with coconut oil, you're very lucky and I'm jealous. Guess I'll be trying some other oil to put in my hair and using the remainding coconut oil to fry food.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this stuff for so many things! it is a staple for me. I totally disagree with the reviewer below who says this should not have a smell - it should! if you are using coconut oil with no scent you are using a highly refined coconut oil that will not have as many nutrients for your hair and skin. Get extra virgin UNrefined oil. it has a delicious coconut smell (of course, it is pure coconut oil)! :-) I use this to :
- clean my makeup off at night. rub it into my face, then cleanse off with warm water and a cleanser.
- moisturize after my shower, like a lotion
- as a hair mask before shampooing, once every other week. makes my hair shiny and bouncy!
I also love cooking with it and eating it on toast, YUM! :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 1:31:00 AM More reviews by babybaby2009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i love coconut oil and use it on my hair and my skin and on my fiances face and scalp. this stuff is amazing! i purchased mine at patel brothers which is an indian food market which is by my home. it has no smell to it, as it is only coconut oil. oil should not have scent to it i believe the ones who have scent and are purchased at wmart and make people break out are in the black hair section and not meant for the face etc. i use many black hair products since they are so rich and my hair is so curly and dry. but the coconut oil i have has NO scent at all. i think people here are using two diff things.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I use extra-virgin organic coconut oil.
It is a 'solid oil' and requires some warming up before use.
It smells great. It is an oil actually penetrates the hair shaft. Makes my hair shiny without being greasy. I coat my dry hair with this then put it up and let it soak then use a mild shampoo to wash it out. I can really tell a difference in my hair's health since using this.
This is a staple in my bathroom, and in my beauty regimen.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2011 12:53:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

In the jar, it is a solid paste, i.e. you can scoop it out but it does separate easily so do this on a sink to catch it or it will leave a mess everywhere. I scooped it out, using about 2 -3 tablespoons for waist length very dry and damaged and coloured hair. I took out about 1/2 tb each time, and then melting it in my hands. Once melted, I slathered it in my hair until it seemed soaked in, doing pieces at a time, 1" away from the roots to the ends. It took me a while. Then, I stroked some more. Then I put my hair up in a clip and went to play computer games for about an hour. When I took my hair it, it didn't feel oily actually, and when I went to wash it, it washed nicely, no problems at all. I did detangle while I was putting the oil in my hair so combing through the conditioner was easy afterwards. I see that the longer you leave it in your hair, the more it absorbs and the less oil you will see in the wash, if any to be honest. Yes, it helped my hair, my hair felt softer and easier to manage in the shower, it lathered enough, it squeaked at the roots (I only wash the roots basically and let the shampoo run through the hair easily), and the conditioner seemed to take better. After the shampoo and conditioner, I put in Marrakesh oil, about 10 squirts instead of my usual 20, two squirts of Aveda Smooth, and combed through then put it up in the same clip to air dry. Later I will style it by flat ironing - the litmus test of conditioning treatments! Will update if anything interesting happens! But give it a lot of time in the hair, and I would not use this on the skin it is very oily although my nails feel conditioned now.

UPDATE: OK styled my hair flat iron and it is fantastic. Hair was soft, natural, moved really nicely - I haven't seen it this nice for a very long time. I will definitely be using coconut oil again. Remember, it is a crumbly paste, melt it, massage into your hair, leave it as long as you possibly can, the longer the better, normal wash condition and style. Smell does not stay in. No extra shampooing or rinsing needed at all.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Freckledflower

I bought this as a hair treatment. It does make your hair soft but TAKES forever to wash out. I don't use very much but I guess its just too much for my fine hair. I would actually have kept using it but it made me break out so badly around my hair line. To fight this, I put a hair cap on to keep it off my face only two wake up the next morning with FIVE huge cystic pimples on my ears and lobes. I bought the organic extra virgin type. If you are acne prone I suggest using it only on a small area first and see how your skin reacts

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by mirandajulian

Would I buy this product again? Hell yes! Something weird happened to my skin a few weeks ago - I had itchy dry bumpy patches on my arms/legs/chest and had a terrible hive breakout on my face - I think the patches were due to some reaction to a Bath and Body bath gel I was using. I think my face was due to an allergic reaction to arbutin a a serum I was using - ANYWAY - I started using coconut oil as a body moistruizer and within three days, my skin is baby smooth and the patches are smoothing out. Gllllloooorrrrrious!!!! Love it!