Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 12/24/2009 1:36:00 AM

I felt like I had stumbled upon a great secret when I heard about using this product as a primer. Then I was a little angry inside, because I felt like I had been cheated all those times I bought expensive primer.
Compared to Smashbox Photo Finish- it's slightly thicker, a bit more cloudy and smells like baby powder. However, upon applying it to the skin (in my case, combination skin that is quite sensitive) the two feel absolutely the same. Sometimes makeup triggers my allergies or severe breakouts, but I find that if I have this on underneath, it forms almost a safe barrier- leaving my easily angered skin soft and silky. It diffuses my makeup, leaving a beautiful matte texture that I can feel and makes my mineral makeup last longer than it does on its own.
The best part is the cost and the availability. I bought it for $6 at Target and I see it all the time at CVS and other drug stores. The only downside I find is that I get a little embarrassed of the Monistat brand- and all that implies, I want to blurt out to the cashier-"It's not yeast medication! It's for my face! Not that my face chafes.. but.. never mind..."

on 12/23/2009 8:00:00 AM

So, I stumbled across the idea of Monistat chafing gel as a primer a few months ago and thought it was interesting, but didn't make any effort to purchase. I had primer left - why wouldn't I finish that up? Anyway, now that it's all gone, I'm trying this. I've used it about 4 times and lemme just say, this works 10x better than any other primer I've used/tested (Smashbox, Sephora, ELF, Hard Candy...). It really lasts all day and gives a nice finish, even if you're not going to put foundation on. In fact, 2/4 times I've worn it, I didn't even put foundation on because it gave me such a nice, dewy glow. AWESOME idea.

on 12/21/2009 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about 6 months now and I love it. I have very oily skin full of acne and scars but this product doesnt irritate my face or give me break outs due to the product itself. This is a very cheap way to go about a makeup primer. I was using smashbox primer but that gets costly. The monistat chafing gel lasts along time

on 12/21/2009 2:25:00 PM

Ok, so I've been using MAC Prep and Prime Skin for about 2 years now and I love it, but I saw one of my favorite gurus using this on youtube and my curiosity got the best of me and I had to try it. Well, this is my new primer!! It's fantastic!! It makes my skin so soft and unlike the Smashbox primer, it isn't oily at all. My makeup looks perfect and stays put all day. I've never had a problem with the MAC primer, but my skin is so much softer with this. I've been using it for about a week now and I haven't had any breakouts or reactions. Try it, you won't be sorry!!

on 12/20/2009 12:53:00 PM

Broke me out! I gave it 2 because it does feel nice on your face. Even though it was a little monster for me. Sigh.

on 12/20/2009 8:55:00 AM

Holy hangers is this stuff good. I've never used a primer before so maybe that's part of it - but it makes my skin look PERFECT - my makeup lasts forever and my skin feels delicious. Totally awesome and on amazon.com, can't beat the price

on 12/18/2009 6:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I REALLY wanted to like this. It's very nice feeling and keeps my makeup on. But it makes me break out. So if I use it, which isn't very often, I use a very little amount on my chin, nose, cheeks and forehead. It breaks me out a lot around my mouth. I can't comment on the price because my mom bought it, but the packaging is nice. The squeeze tube is easy. Overall, I suggest you atleast give it a try.

on 12/17/2009 11:42:00 PM

After reading all the reviews I decided to try the Monistat as a primer for my MMU. I'm oily in my T-Zone, dry elsewhere. So I used Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer for sensitive skin, then spread a tiny amount of the Monistat only on my face and neck. It really does feel just like the Smashbox primer, which costs literally 6 times as much.

After letting the Monistat dry for 5 minutes, I brushed on the MMU. True to its promise, the MU didn't budge, even when it rained lightly in the afternoon. 9 hours later, perfect foundation, nice satin finish.

But when I got home that night and took off my makeup I found a pimple - a real whitehead - smack in the middle of my cheek's apple! Right where I am normally quite dry. Ouch. Monistat keeps the MU on alright with a lovely satin look, but it can also break you out. Use at your own risk.

Back to emu oil for me. The chemical silicone gives me zits - the all-natural bird fat doesn't. Strange but true.

on 12/16/2009 1:21:00 PM

Strange...but I am excited..... does it really mattify? I have always been combination and have lately felt more oily. Did anyone say whether it is safe for under the eyes?

on 12/14/2009 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

i am so glad i heard about using this as a primer because i might have been so silly as to pay the ridiculous $45 for a bottle of the same stuff. For me this works great, i have not had a single break out. i don't use it every day because i dont have the time but i love the way i makes my foundation looks when i do, overall just a smoother finish & also good for oil control. I would recommend this for people whose skin is not easily agitated since i hear a lot of talk about break outs. For the $6 i paid i say its def worth a try before forking out the big bucks.