December 20, 2014 | 1608 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2011 9:36:00 PM More reviews by jija

Love this product! full coverage, matte finish, matches my skin perfectly! My skin looks healthy with this on, which can't be said for some other foundations I have used. This is by far my favorite foundation and it feels fantastic on my face. Could not be better and the price is not atrocious.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by fatbottomgirl76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my 3rd bottle and my fave foundation. It's the only thing I've found that matches my skin. I use Alabaster. It covers well and keeps the oil away.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by yeahimdanielle

I tried this foundation a couple weeks ago, and I LOVE IT. I first applied it with my fingers, but I didn't think it was anything special. I then purchased the Sonia Kashuk version of the Beauty Blender (it's the same quality, but half the price) and tried applying the foundation with that. I immediately fell in love. I used this every day and it gives the most flawless look. My big problem with foundations is when they actually look like foundation (cakey..). When I wear this, it really looks like I'm not wearing any makeup at all. It stays on all day/night, so I don't even have to touch it up. My skin is mostly normal, but I still use a powder over this and it doesn't look cakey. Don't be afraid of the name, because it's not too drying at all. Actually, it can be used for a very sheer coverage foundation, and it's buildable to give full coverage. Overall, this is the best foundation I've ever tried. I recommend it 100%, but to get the best effect, I recommend using the Beauty Blender or the Sonia Kashuk sponge. The only bad thing is that I'm afraid of when the product starts to run out. I feel like the packaging is going to make it really hard to reach the last bit of product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 1:24:00 PM More reviews by Everhill1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing foundation!!

I have tried it all and with my oily/combination skin this stays put all day! I also have large pores on my nose and this hides them completely! The only thing I have found with this foundation is that you have to work fast as it sets quickly. Sometimes I spray my face first with Fix + then work it in, otherwise I work it in with my fingers section-by-section. I am NW20 in MAC and I use #30 in this foundation. The colour stays true, I found no oxidation. I also don't have to blot through the day.
I like to try other foundations, but I always come back to this one!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 6:16:00 PM More reviews by vickio92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

i have this in 15. It's a pretty good match to my pale, scottish, redheaded skin, much less orange than MUFE's HD in 110. It give full coverage that is buildable and I do not need concealer with it. The only downside is that it can be a bit drying and highlighting flakyness.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by shiaobundan

Best foundation I've ever used.

It is medium to full coverage, but doesn't cake up or look like i'm wearing foundation at all. A lot of foundatinos claim this, but this is the only one I think is true.

Also, it really does stay MATTE all day and it just looks like my skin. Doesn't get oily or bunch up in my pores. It feels completely weightless and all foundations claim this, but this one really delivers.

My first MUFE foundation, and now i'm itching to try the others.

Other foundations I've used and think are inferior to Mat Velvet + include: MAC Studio Sculpt, MAC Face and Body, Clinique Almost Makeup, Stila One Step, Revlon Colorstay, Rimmel (all of them), Benefit cream stick, Lorac oil-free (LORAC may be the only one that feels nearly as weightless as MUFE).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2011 9:44:00 PM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a very nice foundation if you have oily skin or an oily t-zone. As with most MUFE face products, the color selection is really nice. I am quite fair and hard to match, but I had no trouble selecting the right shade. It offers a medium-yet-buildable coverage that's wonderful for every day. I have acne-prone skin and this did nothing to cause breakouts as far as I can remember. It gave me that perfect porcelain "doll skin" that I had always searched for. I wouldn't recommend it, however, if you have dry skin or are prone to dryness.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2011 12:59:00 PM More reviews by lizalicious87

so i have been searching for a good foundation for years i have tried them all. I had heard mixed reviews about this foundation so I was scared to try it. I wanted a foundation that had great coverage, didnt clog pores, an didnt look like a mask. Well i found it this is one of the best foundations i have tried. It has great coverage, without being cakey. doesnt clog pores and doesnt get oily, which i tend to get. also doesnt feel heavy i hardly feel like i have make up on. i was using mac studio fix and this is hands down much better. Mac was too heavy and made me feel oily and cakey. you gotta try it its great last all day and i dont have to reapply...i am happy so far. however i have notice that it doesnt stay on for 16 hours and its lacking something i will continue to search.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 9:49:00 AM More reviews by darkskyequeen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first high end liquid foundation after using a powder foundation for several years. The MA at Sephora matched me perfectly with #65 in Golden Beige!!! So perfect is the colour, that I finally realized that I don't look naturally dull and grey but instead I actually have colour in my face. This foundation has enough yellows for my NC43/C6 skin tone. The thing though.. is this foundation is pricey!! It does last awhile on my very oily skin compared to foundation in the old days but it's no match for Revlon Colorstay (in Toast) except for in color match. Revlon colour runs a little red on me but I'm sure it will be more perfect in the summer months and I'll switch back to it. Mat velvet also seems to exaggerate the dryness/flakes on my skin... flakes that i can't even see until I apply it. It also gets streaky by the end of a 12 hr day.. so it just doesn't wear as naturally.

Foundation Comparison MUFE Mat Velvet vs Mac Studio Fix Fluid:

Recently I was on the hunt for an alternative foundation that has the same perfect colour as Mat Velvet but has better staying power and perhaps with a better price point. So decided to try out the Mac Studio Fix fluid in NC44. NC44 is almost dead on perfect match with #65 Mat Velvet in Golden Beige and a perfect match for my skin tone. So i decided to do an experiment. I wore mat velvet on one half of my face and Mac studio fix on the other half. As a base I used oil free moisturizer and Sheer envy primer before application and after application I dusted off with Mac Blot powder and Mac Prep and Prime finishing powder. Both have similar consistency when applying. Mat velvet though seemed to accentuate the areas dryness on my skin. Studio Fix went on more smoothly but only slightly. Coverage for both are almost identical. After 2 hrs I had the exact same oiliness on both sides of my face. After 4 hrs though Mat velvet was only slightly more oilier. Both started the smudge off the face when my skin was oily if I scratched it (this doesnt happen with Revlon Colorstay BTW). They both transferred the same on a kleenex. Funny thing.. they both have a slight oxidation but it actually makes my skin look better with the colour being a tad more golden until I blot with a blot sheet. I see no difference in oxidation colour between Mat velvet and Studio Fix. Makeup removal on oily skin is easy (compared to Revlon colorstay) but when I applied both to the back of my hand Studio Fix had better staying power and I had to use makeup remover. Mat velvet still washed off easily. Also they both photograph the same even with Mac Studio Fix having sunscreen in it. In terms of packaging they are both easy to use as long as you buy the pump with the Studio Fix. It's easier to travel with the Mat velvet packaging since it's nice and sleek.. but really for me it's not a selling point.

Final thoughts:

I would say Studio Fix fluid seems like a dupe for Mat velvet except that Studio fix has sunscreen. For the price I would without a doubt choose Mac Studio Fix Fluid. Plus it has a very very slight edge on Mat Velvet in terms of smoother application and more oil control. These differences though are hard to see. The only other thing is I would make sure to use a good make up remover for Mac since it may be deceiving when it looks like it's removed. Maybe this accounts for some of the breakouts that people are reporting with it compared to Mat Velvet. Also don't underestimate the power of water!! I find the way how these foundations apply and wear is much more improved when I've been drinking lots of water and less coffee. I'm still on the hunt for my HG foundation. That foundation would have the colour match of the MUFE and MAC but the quality of the Revlon colorstay.

If I could I would rate this a 3.5. I would not buy again only because Mac Studio Fix Fluid Fluid is cheaper and has sunscreen.

Update: I ended up ditching this and studio fix fluid. Now moving on to Mac Matchmaster. Amazing foundation and excellent colour match!!

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by evillittlekitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm one of those Px orphans, looking for a replacement foundation with a good color match. MUFE has a really excellent range of pale shades: No. 15 disappears right into my skin.

The coverage is really good. A thin layer will color correct red splotchiness. A couple extra dabs will knock out any remaining redness (like around the nose) or spots -- even if you're mid-breakout, like me, you can get by without concealer.

The finish is definitely matte. In the morning, it's actually a little TOO flat for my tastes, but by midday, thanks to my combination skin, I'm dewy. The fact that the foundation stays put and "adapts" is a huge bonus. In that respect, it kind of reminds me of a good cream foundation: it just MELTS into your skin as the day wears on.

But don't take that to mean that it's moisturizing -- it's not. In fact, drier areas on my skin (like around my nose during the winter) can start to itch. Bottom line is that a good exfoliation/skincare regimen will go a long way to ensuring good results with this foundation, as it doesn't take too kindly to dry, flaky patches.

That said, despite frequent noserubs and bad habits like resting my chin in my hand, this foundation stays put. After 11ish hours of wear, I've still got my face.

Application is simple: I use an old-fashioned foundation brush. The squeeze bottle makes it super easy to dispense and keep clean (seriously, why don't more companies use this kind of container?). I find that the formula dries somewhat quickly, so I work in zones, blending as I go.

I'm hesitant to call any foundation HG, but this one is damn close.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No