April 17, 2014 | 1874 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2010 10:28:00 AM More reviews by miinx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The gist?

PROS:
-Huge range of shades and undertones, from super pale to super dark.
-Cheaper than many other high end foundations
-Nice packaging that is sanitary, but still allows you to control how much product you're dispensing
-Really, truly oil-proof, water-proof, sweat proof. No shininess to be found and won't budge all day.

CONS:
-Too matte looking to look natural. The matte finish magnifies any skin imperfections and uneven texture. Can be cakey.
-Need to use a TON of product to get medium-full coverage
-Extremely hard to work with and blend.

I rate this stuff as purely okay. It does what is claims - mattifies and keeps oil at bay, as well as being pretty darn waterproof. However, I'm not sure I like the look of this foundation and find it a bit difficult to work with.

Its certainly not a bad product, and some may prefer the ultra matte look and find dewier foundations to disagree with their oily skin, but I don't think mat velvet looks particularly natural - which is a big factor when I choose a foundation.

I've been an MUFE HD devotee for a while now. I have oily skin, particularly in the T-zone, which was resulting in some serious shine with the HD that was only partially alleviated by mattifying powder. However, SOME shine is natural, and the HD did look nice on.

That said - I had heard rave reviews about Mat Velvet and have loved MUFE products, so I decided to give it a go in hopes that it could still give me a natural finish and keep my oily skin controlled a little better than HD managed to.

I used this stuff as always, on top of a moisturized face with Laura Gellar Spackle primer.

The first thing I noticed was that it was extremely difficult to spread and get full coverage - MUFE HD is much more fluid than this - Mat Velvet really seemed to grab hold to wherever it was first applied, and be really resistant to blending out. I used a MAC 187 brush and I felt like I needed to use a ton of product to get decent coverage and fully blend over my face compared to the HD.

The second thing I noticed was that after first applying, it looked pretty matte, and not in a good way. It looked unnatural - almost cakey and corpse-like. Not flattering. A light dusting of HD powder on my nose and some cream blush seemed to alleviate it a little bit, but I still think it looked mask like.

Once my oiliness cropped up it kept it at bay and started to look a little better, but I'm still not sure it looked really convincing. It was very obvious I was wearing foundation, and it caked in the corners of my nose and my smile lines, which arent ever even noticable with other foundations. Any flakes or blemishes are magnified 10 times over with this stuff on. Not a flattering look. On the bright side, I never got shiny and this stuff truly is waterproof, oil proof, and smudge proof - it stayed put for a good 16 hours, no melting or fading.

That said, this stuff is just a little too hard to work with and too matte of a finish to look natural. If you have perfect, but oily skin with no blemishes or uneven texture to worry about, i suppose this stuff could work - but if you have any uneven texture, the slightest hint of lines, or blemishes.. this stuff just seems to make them look worse. I'll stick with the HD and continue my hunt for a decent mattifying gel to use on my t-zone.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2010 5:50:00 AM More reviews by lalsamiksha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is my second most fav foundation after EL double wear . I have really oily skin, really oily is an understatement. Whenever I wear foundation, any kind of liquid foundation , it tends to wear off after 3 hours. I have always had trouble choosing the right foundation which can stay for atleast 6-8 hours.

This foundation works brilliantly on my skin type. I have acne prone skin and this foundation hasn broken me out. It gives medium to full coverage which is good, cos i have blemishes aswell, which need to be hidden. It does not cover a big red pimple , for tat I use a concealer.But over all this product does give a pretty good coverage.
The only draw back is that i have to keep touching up my face once every 3 hours, which i a ok with as long as the foundation works brilliantly.

Surprisingly i have found the right shade, which does not makes me look too bright or too dark . Its just perfect

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2010 11:50:00 AM More reviews by macstar05

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin, I only get oily in my tzone. This is my favorite foundation so far, with this you get medium coverage but its build-able. It is very light weight, i apply it with a stippling brush my MAC 187 and it looks great. If you want a long lasting foundation this is it! For reference I am an NC 40and i got # 35 i think i can got with a #40 as well but # 35 will do for the winter.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2010 11:34:00 AM More reviews by ksaelee

I have combination skin normal/oily and have always wanted to try this out, bought it, tried it, now I'm going to return it. I thought it would help control my oily areas but it didn't. Coverage is nice, evens out skintone--I have a ton of freckles, but it brought more attention to the dry flaky areas. I wore this on a car trip(so pretty much no movement) for about 3 hours and noticed my forhead and nose got greasy, so the foundation didn't matify like how it says :( It's not work the $34 price tag, I will continue using my revlon colorstay

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2010 2:33:00 AM More reviews by kyleagogo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have super oily skin, and bad acne scarring. I do not even have to use concealer anymore with this foundation. It keeps me matte for a couple hours without using a blot powder, I love it! I use an airbrush brush to put it on then set it with MUFE duo mat powder. I'm in love!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2010 2:21:00 PM More reviews by elwoods17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried to like this because I have been wanting to try it out for so long! Unfortunately, I do not like it at all and am returning it to Sephora. I have oily/combo skin and with the change in season my skin is a bit dehydrated. This foundation actually emphasized the small little flakes I had on my face, even after exfoilating! It also is a little too full coverage for me. I feel like I am wearing a mask. I don't like it. I am going to stick with my Neutrogena Skin Clearing Make-up! Drugstore but so much better than this! For reference, I have light to medium olive skin tone, I am a MAC nc35, and I got this shade in 35.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2010 12:16:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

This was a big BUST for me.

I heard great reviews from people on YT and decided to splurge for the $34.00 bottle of foundation. I ordered this online and SOMEHOW got the color I needed to match my skin perfectly.

I wore this for a week and liked the coverage, but wasn't overly impressed with it. recently I've noticed a rash break out on my cheek and can only attribute it to this new foundation.

I've really had no complaints about my DS foundation, but I risked trying something new and unfortunately it didn't turn out well for me.

Back to Sephora it goes...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2010 2:41:00 AM More reviews by mjm88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG foundation! It gives me a full coverage without feeling heavy and cake-like! Love love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 3:49:00 PM More reviews by TatianaX

I LOVE this miracle in an ovular bottle <3
I Have been looking for the perfect match to my skin for a very long time and its been so difficult because i have a yellowish tone to my skin with pink aswell. Since most foundations have either/or, I could never find a natural cover. Lucky for me, this brand has it dead on.
Not only that, It makes my combination skin look flawless, shineless, and keeps it looking natural. I also like that it has little to no odor.
This particular foundation is very expensive but to me, WELL WORTH IT <3
I recommend it to anyone&everyone

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2010 4:35:00 PM More reviews by truckerswife2009

I bought this because the dermablend wasnt doing a good job. This goes on great and LASTS all day!! i have bad acne and scaring and this is the only thing that will cover it.
I took it to my dermatologist and she was it was a great product to use :)

I love it. its $35 and usually last me about 6 weeks.