Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 5/21/2011 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I'm surprised this doesn't have a higher rating truth be told, due to the praise I hear for MUFE all the time.
Sephora was out of the shade of the HD I originally went in for thinking that was the better option for my combo/dry skin, and with some advice from a helpful SA, I took a chance on this. I wanted a summer liquid foundation; specifically, one without SPF to avoid the pale washed-out look it tends to generate in pictures. If not for this reason, I probably wouldn't have forked over this much for a foundation because I'm finding more and more drugstore items working for me these days, but it's becoming near-impossible to find one without SPF there that works for me.

I've never had good luck with matte foundations, my skin being a bit on the dry side of normal. The last couple of "popular" ones I attempted were disastrous: Revlon Colorstay (thick flat cakey mess), PhotoReady (thin flat cakey mess); the Maybelline mousse ones, a Milani mousse one, both also horrible (mostly orange, on top of cakey), so I was hesitant to try matte again. Most of them tend to make me look older and more parched than I already am. Ok. So. Enter MUFE.

I tried to hate this, I really did. I wanted to take it back and exchange, telling myself that I was right: pricey foundations aren't worth it and don't make a difference. I failed miserably. Over primer, moisturizer, or all by itself, this is much more natural-looking than any of the Revlon or Maybelline formulas. It's not flat or dry, not thick, doesn't settle into patches or emphasize dryness (granted I don't have a lot right now, which helps); it doesn't oxidize or morph into a different shade later on, and doesn't feel like makeup- all of which surprised me. It's actually very natural looking and I don't need to use much to get good coverage (which hopefully means this little tube will go a long way). It blends well; doesn't break me out; lasts a long time without a setting powder (although I apply a bit of Smashbox Halo on top when I really want to boost the lasting power) . It also claims it's water resistant but I've yet to test that (bonus if it is because if so it will be my every-summer foundation). Overall, this is a really nice foundation and dare I eat my words and say it? Worth the price and I'm now even more curious to see if it's even better with my Beautyblender sponge, once that arrives.
I'm wearing shade #30 right now which might be a skitch too dark, but just barely. Give it a month (or simply a week outside of Cubicle-land), and it will probably be perfection in a tube, and on my face. I've been reaching for this daily since I purchased it, so thanks Sephora, for being out of stock in a good way for a change :)

on 5/18/2011 4:49:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I am really really disappointed with this one because it is so DARN EXPENSIVE and did not work for me. Coverage is ok, color match is ok too, it just did not keep me matte!!! I mean, it is MAT velvet Matifying.... this is the only reason why I got it and it had such good reviews from UT gurus, and MUA overall..... "sigh".... maybe my skin is just werid. Compared to Revlon color stay, Loreal Mattephorse, Max Factor Smooth Effect, or MAC Studio Fix, MUFE performed the worse in keeping the oilies at bay. I can understand when my nose goes shiny only, but with MUFE whole T zone is shiny after like 2-3 hours, and by noon, the makeup is sliding off my nose and forehead. I have tried with primers and setting powders, no improvements. Furthermore, the finish is not that fantastic either. Soooo sad.

on 5/18/2011 12:54:00 AM

i didnt buy this thank god, i used a sample. it broke me out but i mean the texture was okay not the best foundation ever. i probably dont really like it just cause it broke me out, i dont even have sensitive skin.

on 5/16/2011 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I switched back to this product after having used Teint Idole and Doublewear for the past 1.5 years..ELDW is way too cakey, Teint Idole is nice but I wanted something without an SPF to avoid the ghostface in pictures.. Mat Velvet+ was a good choice; I haven't had to blot once today and I have been wearing my makeup for 5 hours now, my skin looks smooth and flawless, the price is not bad (34$ per bottle), and a little goes a long way.
My only complaints (and the reason I give 4/5 lippies) is that it does emphasize dry patches a lot (I have some dryness on some days because of the strong acne treatments I use at night time.. if I don't exfoliate before applying moisturizer and primer, this foundation causes a lot of extra flakiness), the bottle design is not one with a pump (although it does come in a squeeze-out tube, which is anti-bacterial), and the color selection is limited. I am 153 in MUFE HD, Stromboli in Nars Sheer Glow and both are a PERFECT match..I got matched to 55 in Mat Velvet and it is definately a bit too orange/pink for my skin.. It also oxidizes quite a bit from initial application.. I noticed that it seems to get pinker/tanner by the end of the day.. the difference between my face color and my neck color is REALLY obvious, which i hate.. so I may just have to use this as my weekend-night time foundation because there are no shades that match me perfectly.. If MUFE would expand the color selection for this foundation it would be PERFECT.

update: I returned this foundation for Nars Sheer Glow.. I love the way that mat velvet looks but there is not a color choice that even comes close to matching my yellow undertones, so I had no choice but to return.. if you find a color match that looks good on you though, then this is a great foundation.

on 5/14/2011 11:43:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Im an NC25-30, and I was matched with shade 30. I feel like the color is a bit too light for me. anyways, I asked one of the beauty advisors at sephora to help me pick out a foundation that had good coverage and that lasted all day while mentioning my combo skin. She suggested I try this one. After I was matched I was impressed, So I bought it, tried it the next day over my HD primer, unfortunately it was EXTREMELY HUMID which resulted in nasty oil production and at the end of the day i had very little foundation on!! So I gave it another try thank God it wasnt humid the next day, but after 2 hours my nose was a nasty oil slick!

The coverage is Good i would say, medium-full buildable coverage, it does feel very light, but it's rather thick which i feel like i have to use more! (weird i know) It does look natural after wearing it for a bit but it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT keep u matte for long! I don't think its worth it iMO, I wanted to love it, I really did but didnt work for me:( Revlon colorstay is better and cheaper

on 5/13/2011 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I completely agree with the reviewer beneath saying how this product is so great. I also purchased this because I follow TiffanyD's videos and after her saying how great it was for her oily skin, I had to try this. I am NC25 in MAC and shade 40 is absolutely perfect for my skin. The formula is so light and natural, and very good coverage. I love traveling with this product also because of the packaging, it's not heavy and it's not a glass bottle so you don't have to worry about it breaking at all. This foundation is $34 and is worth every penny. But I only use this for special occasions since I will around alot of people, and touching up is really annoying, the finish stays fantastic for a long period of time. I will always repurchse this...

on 5/13/2011 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really love this foundation. I had been using Bare Minerals Matte Foundation prior to this and I wasnt satisfied AT All with the coverage. It only provided sheer coverage at best. I purchased Revlon Colorstay and I was ok with that, however it was cakey, hard to blend and looked really unnatural. I follow YouTube's MakeupbyTiffanyD's channel religiously and she wears this and swears by it so I finally decided to try it out. I am so glad I did. It takes a while to get color matched, however the formula is amazing. It provides full coverage IMO but doesnt look cakey at all. You need just the smallest amount so this would last me probably at least 6 months so even though it is expensive it will last you forever. I am really satisfied with this and will definitley be repurchasing...HG all the way!!!!

on 5/13/2011 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I love this foundation. I have had my bottle since August (yes, August) and am now running out. A little goes a long way and it keeps my skin matte all day long. What I love about this line is that it comes in a ARRAY of colors, from the lightest skin tone to the darkest (I'm pretty dark and there were 3 more colors that were darker than me). I have finally found my staple foundation that helps keep my oily skin at bay for a good portion of the day.

on 5/12/2011 8:32:00 PM

I LOVE this foundation! Ok, so I have acne scars and oily skin and this seems to make my skin look flawless by covering all my acne scars! However, the finish to this foundation looks like I just have great skin, doesn't look like I am wearing foundation! I'd definitely reccommend to anyone! :)

on 5/10/2011 11:51:00 PM

I LOVE this foundation! I suffered from acne for many many years and had left over scars. My skin has cleared up, but I still have a few spots. This foundation not only covers nicely, but it helps control my oil all day! I agree with other reviewers that it definitely highlights dry skin and flakes; unless you have oily skin-stay away! It looks best applied with fingers and blended with a brush. I lightly set it with pressed powder and love the smooth finish!