Chanel No.5

3.5

on 10/18/2007 9:59:00 PM

Ok - this comment is updated from the post below. I went back to Macys today with the "Pure Parfum" in hand. The Chanel counter manager was shocked at the lightness of the color and consistency . After applying it the scent was gone within an hour. She had just received the Parfum from the manufacturer. So we opened the other one as well - same thing ! Is this a manufacturing problem ? The manager was very apologetic. I ended up purchasing EDT and EDP along with a gift set to replace the Parfum. - I would be interested in hearing if this has been experienced by anyone else.

I have worn Number 5 off and on for years. My favorite version was the "Sheer Moisture Mist" which was cancelled two years ago. When I wore that I was complimented by everyone. I have since searched around and the only thing that comes close to the notes are the bath soap. Today I sprung for my first bottle of the pure parfum. The color in the bottle seems very light - almost greenish! For some reason I always thought it would be more golden. The packaging was awful. There was a string tied around the top and then a plastic sealer which was very difficult to get off. The bottle has no weight to it . It feels like I am holding a mini sample. I did purchase the .5 oz (15 ml) and it was over $150 at Macys.Its ok , but I am wondering if I prefer the freshness to the EDT . The dropper and bottle are so small it drips all over your fingers. I am sensing lots of musk and know that I won't be getting any compliments on this . Very dissapointing . I miss the freshness that I expeienced in the moisture mist and hope that eau premiere (their new version) resembles that and doesn't have the overly vanilla sugar tones their exlixer has. I am really in Limbo but don't want to wear anything else...

on 10/12/2007 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I always give perfumes a fair chance so although its dated, its not bad. I just didnt find that it was worth such an expensive price. I bought the EDT which was cheaper than EDP. Had this stuff been alot cheaper I might have purchased more. I shared the rest of my bottle with my mom and it smelled like a real pretty powder on her. White Diamonds which is my favorite seems to have a little simularity of chanel no. 5 and its alot cheaper!!!

on 10/7/2007 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I will always love Chanel No. 5. I have the refillable perfume bottle, which I also love. I definitely agree that this one really has to work with your body chemistry, and it does for me - so you absolutely must really test it out and give it an hour to sit with you before you decide.

Definitely the most classic of all of the Chanels I wear.

on 10/6/2007 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I realy wanted to love this perfume due to its notoriety but unfortunately it is not for me. It's way too heavy and matronly for me. It could be a body chemistry thing but I took one sniff on my wrist and grimaced! For me, it smells to "chemical", lacking any lighter floral notes. It would suit some but I'll stick to Allure if I feel like Chanel.

on 10/6/2007 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm in mourning for the former No. 5 scent - such a classic; reminds me of going to church with my mom, who passed away 25 years ago. It had become my signature scent, too. I just purchased a new bottle of the eau de perfume and it doesn't smell ANYTHING like it used to. After reading here about the reformulation, I returned it to Nordstrom and the rep totally denied that it had been changed, blaming my age (47) for my change in what I thought it smelled like - how insulting! I'm now perfume-less and am on a hunt for my new one. My old faves are Chance and Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, but I really loved No.5. I also have a hard time finding a fragrance that doesn't give me a headache and makes me feel nauseous. Sooooooo bummed.

on 10/3/2007 5:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Too much aldehyde! Really does not work for me.

on 9/28/2007 1:19:00 AM

smells like soap. it is not complex, fruity, floral, youthful, or groundbreaking. It smells like a strong soap your strict great aunt would have in her bathroom.

on 9/25/2007 11:47:00 AM

I really wanted to like it as it's such an icon, but it's just too strong for me. The sandalwood note is so prominent it reminds me of a certain soap. It smells not bad at the department counter, and I guess there are so many perfumes in the air, my nose gets numb so this strong one takes note? I can't wear it alone and it easily overwhem any other scent, so now its a deco on my dresser.

on 9/21/2007 11:18:00 PM

I really love this perfume. I wear it for all special occasions. My HG fragrance. Lovely scent and I always get compliments when I have this on. My husband is also a big fan!!!

on 9/21/2007 1:28:00 PM

My grandma used to work in Women's fragrances and this is her all-time favorite. This smell brings back memories of being a little girl and smelling her perfume. I definitely believe that if you are going to wear this fragrance, the pure parfum version is the only way to go. The EDP to me smells just like baby powder, which is not a scent that I am particularly fond of. However, the parfum, while still powdery, also smells like jasmine, which is lovely. Chanel no.5 is still not "me" though, because I prefer scents that are more intoxicating, and they usually have much warmer notes than this. I'd much rather wear Allure, or one of my all-time favorites, Coco Mademoiselle. Still sophisticated, but more my style. Perhaps it is convenient that I am not a fan of no.5, because my boyfriend detests it. I do appreciate this fragrance for being an elegant, timeless classic though.

Popular Fragrances