Chanel No.5

3.5

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Sophisticated and a classic! This perfume is'nt for everyone, I certainly would'nt recommend it for a teenager or most people in their early 20's. Simply because the sophistication level usually is'nt there so they are'nt able to appreciate a scent like No.5. This is for the sophisticated woman that likes the finer things in life and can appreciate a classic scent that many iconic women have worn.

For me, it's not just a scent, it's a unique experience shared by sophisticated women all around the world since 1921. Its a phenomenon... Classy, avant-garde, brave, very confident.
But I know it doesn't appeal to 18-year olds. You have to be at least 30 to appreciate it.
Reviewers who don't like it should give a second chance to it a couple of years later.

I'm SO surprised by all the negative reviews. I've read for years about how great this fragrance is, but I never smelled it. I finally ordered a sample vial (I'm hunting for a new signature perfume), and I love, love, LOVE it. It's so gorgeous and feminine. I really adore it, and even though it's pretty expensive, I ordered a full-size bottle today. It was sort of familiar to me, and my mom told me that my grandma used to wear it when she had the cash to buy it. That explains the familiarity and the happy, warm feeling it gives me. Yes, I can see where it could be old-woman-scented, but careful application and a great attitude will change all of that. Seriously, I adore it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have to be honest, and write that I relly disliked this product for a very long time. Now I simply love it. It grew on me. It is very clean and exotic all at once. There is a definte air of elegance at beauty. I believe that is the reason it has stood the test of time. This fragrance is not for the faint hearted though.

I also wanted to love this product, it seems like something Nora Charles would spritz on in one of the classic "Thin Man" movies, but I just can't stand this scent. I feel like I smelled like a medical experiment when I wore it, all I could get from it was an overwhelming chemical odor. Still has one of the most beautiful bottles ever though!

I really wanted to like this fragrance. It's a classic. The current advertising is beautiful; however, it smelled like bug spray to me. I'm not trying to be funny, it really smelled like bug spray. I waited for the dry down and it still had a very chemical odor. I tried the eau de perfume too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have almost no sense of smell. But, boy, I smelt this when I sampled it back in college. I can't even tell you what it smelled like, but it irritated me so much that I tried to wash it off an hour later! I just couldn't stand how it smelled on me!

I bounce around between Chance, Coco Mademoiselle, Allure and No. 5. I think Coco Mademoiselle is probably my current favorite.
No. 5 is a classic fragrance that is certainly beatiful and very recognizable, but it can lean a little old lady and it is very easy to put on too much.

When I want a stronger, more womanly scent, this is the perfume that I reach for.

This scent does start out rather strong, so I usually dab it on one wrist, and transfer the scent to the other wrist, and then behind both ears. I don't rub, I press as to not ruin the scent.

It starts out very strong and powdery on me, but then it mellows out to a comfortable powdery scent with just the slightest hint of vanilla to go along with it - divine, I say!

I know the bottle that I have now will last me forever (mainly because of how little I have to use), but I do plan on repurchasing if I do happen to run out.

I can count on one hand the number of perfumes I truly hate and this is one of them. Base notes of toilet cleaner and talcum powder with top notes of bug spray and methylated spirits. I don't know about old lady, it's more cleaning lady.

I wonder whatever happened to Chanel numbers 1 through to 4? Were they discontinued or were they just bad lab experiments that went wrong? Probably! Pheeww!

Popular Fragrances