NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene, Glycol, Glycerine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinal Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Dis-Butydimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan, Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methylhdantoin-2-Imide, Phenoxyenthanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polusilocone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa, Glycuosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocpherol, [ /- (May Contain): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)].

on 5/27/2013 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am obsessed with this foundation! I am NC30 and I use Punjab which is spot on. The first few times I've used this foundation I hated it because it had terrible lasting power. But then I realized this was a water-based foundation so I had to use a water-based primer (Smashbox Photoready Light or a Korres one) instead of a silicone one. This immediately changed how the lasting power of the foundation.
It offers buildable medium coverage and I know it is recommended to use fingers to apply but I use an angled flat top kabuki from Sedona Lace which is excellent for buffing the product in. No this product doesn't give a "glow" which I equate to "oily". It gives a skin like natural finish that is undetectable in real life.
As others have mentioned, there is no pump and it has to be purchased separately which I recommend so you don't waste product. I tried to go without for so long but realized I needed to invest in it. I believe it is around $6 at Nordstrom or NARS. I don't believe Sephora carries it.
Overall, I would repurchase this foundation despite its steep price tag (they raised the price to $44) because the color match is spot on, the lasting power is great, and it photographs really well.

on 5/27/2013 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of this foundation. Not on myself, and not on any of my clients. (people always want to try this foundation).
The product is a very fluid like texture, fairly lightweight feeling. The coverage is around a sheer-medium coverage, leaning more towards medium. Despite the claims that this foundation is glowy, it is NOT at all. It's more of a natural finish. Initially, it applies well and blends easily, but the finish is atrocious. It accentuates pores like crazy, and leaves a dry cakey look on dry-combination skins with just one layer. If you have blemishes or redness to cover, you would require two layers of this foundation which would accentuate textural issues on the skin even more. I'll give it a 2 star rating because it does look okay on the lucky few who have baby smooth poreless skin. In my opinion it is definitely not worth the money, you're better off with MUFE HD, which also gives a natural finish and slightly better coverage without accentuating flaws.

on 5/18/2013 7:53:00 PM

I have to say that I'm not a huge foundation person. I don't get Blemishes or acne, I don't have scars but I really like this foundation. I found it was easy to apply this product on my face using the sephora mineral brush that the sephora salesperson recommended using.
For reference I'm an NC30 but I found the Fiji was too light but the Punjab color was too dark... So I ended up mixing both colors together. The price is pretty steep for $44 Canadian, But it's well worth it.
I was a bridesmaid wearing this foundation and it rained Cats and dogs... but my make up stayed put. One Complaint about this product is the packaging ... I wish it had a pump instead of a regular bottle. But I bought the pump from the official nars website and I'm just going to replace the screw on top with the pump top. The pump you can buy from the nars website for under $10. Another complaint is even though this may sound like it could be meant for dry skin, it's not. It clings to dry patches. So beware.

on 5/17/2013 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I know this is usually a love/hate product, but I gotta add my review to the 'love' pile. Bought this a few months ago in Barcelona and it's become my go-to when I want to look a bit more polished but not overdone (date night, important day at work, etc). It's not super glowy, but I do have combination skin, which helps make it look more dewy, if that makes sense. Also I have relatively good skin with a few post-acne marks and freckles, and I find that about two thin layers of this stippled in on moisturized skin lasts me about 6-8 hours, if I wear it with a bit of setting powder on top. I have had no skin breakouts/issues relating to this product, which is a small miracle because I have had some bad reactions to products in the past. I had to knock down a few points for the price (it's pricey, buuuuut given that I don't use it every day, I can somehow justify the my head at least) and the packaging (can't believe I actually bought a freaking pump for the foundation, but I do feel like one pump adequately covers my whole face and dispenses just enough product...if the pump gave too much product, I would have returned it). Definitely try a sample first to make sure you're completely sold on it. And because I'm shallow I always like the NARS product names, and the fact that I'm part Spanish makes me like it more. Sigh...

on 5/15/2013 11:13:00 AM

Let me start off by saying this foundation is amazing! I'm very very fair and have neutral tones (its so hard finding a foundation colour thats right for me!) and I got this in the shade ''Siberia'' and it matches me perfectly! I have dry skin so I thought getting this foundation will make me look dewy. And it did if you only would wear that foundation and not a powder on it which was disappointing but with Urban Decay Dew Me spray it looked fine. I feel like you can build it up to full coverage without looking cakey. I usually have it about medium to full coverage. I use my beauty blender with it and it works wonders! I would highly recommend it!

on 5/12/2013 4:25:00 PM

So, considering my oily skin I always thought i'd get Sheer Matte, however being back on isotretinoin, my skin is incredibly dry and I was afraid that foundation would highlight every single itty bit of dry flaky skin would show up.

I have to agree that this foundation isn't overly glowy (what a blessing) and dries incredibly fast so I apply it with my fingers blending it with my skin. I disagree that this is medium coverage, it's sheer to light coverage.

It's incredibly transfer resistant and very skin-like, it doesn't break me out and lasts some good 6 hours.

For reference, I wear it in Siberia.

Cons are obviously the lack of a pump and the texture of the cap that gets dirty very easily. Definitely a repurchase!

on 5/11/2013 4:41:00 AM

For about a year I was debating whether I should purchase NARS Sheer Glow. It is definitely a cult favourite, however some say it's not very long lasting, it's too dull, too shiny, it breaks them out, its overrated...etc etc, so I always remained on the fence. Long story short, I eventually caved to my indulgences and bought the damn thing. I'm sure everyone has either tried this for themselves, or read the many reviews already posted, but I decided to give my two cents on it anyway.

First off, the packaging looks beautiful. What I mean is that while it looks quite elegant in glass and Nars signature packaging, it is definitely NOT functional. Glass is heavier to carry around, and we all know how easily that matte black velvety material gets prints all over it! Not to mention there isn't a pump, which makes this foundation extra fussy.

The finish of Sheer Glow is honestly more matte than 'glowy', especially after you powder. The coverage claims to be sheer (hence the name) but I'd say it's more of a medium coverage that is buildable. So right off the bat this foundation is misleading, it should be called 'Medium Matte'... but um that's not exactly a marketable name. As for it's functionality, Sheer Glow isn't the best foundation I've used that accomodates dry patches, as it kind of makes dry skin look more dull. Also, maybe I matched my shade wrong (I'm in the shade Stromboli), but it applies slightly orange on my skin. Even though orange looks disturbing on your face at first, it blends very well, and almost makes my skin look more healthy and tan. I'm sure this will match better in the summer too! So i decided to keep it, instead of returning or tossing it (which some may have done after seeing the orange tint. It was $50 and i was hell bent on making it work!)

In addition, even though this foundation isn't great for tired, dry skin, it looks amazing on good skin days. No other foundation I've tried has given me more compliments, just because it gives a perfected finish to your skin. I look polished, and fresh faced, not oily or cake faced. It's not an awful foundation on bad skin days. I just find I have to sheer it out with a tinted moisturizer/lotion to add some hydration.

Here my list of pros and cons for this foundation (for quick reference);

PROS: - Great at evening skin tone and even minor blemishes - Light weight and build able - Blends into the skin quite easily - Great colour range available - Don't need a brush to apply with. Actually, Nars recommends you use your fingers - Scent is mild - non existant - Doesn't cause break outs.

CONS: - No pump! Packaging is actually so dysfunctional. - Not great over dry patches - If you like natural looking makeup I wouldn't say this is ideal - On me the foundation is a tad bit orange - Longevity isn't amazing, especially in the humid summer months.

All in all I am quite happy with this foundation. I place a high priority on quality products that don't react with my skin. Sheer Glow definitely meets that standard as I've never had a breakout problem with it. Despite the fact that it's a bit orange I'm still satisfied with the colour match. It looks amazing on good skin days, and alright on bad skin days. My biggest complaints are the lack of pump, and for me it could be a little more hydrating for every day use.

I also want to add that on top of this foundation, I was wearing Laura Mercier loose setting powder, MAC Msfn in medium deep as bronzer, and Gingerly blush... they all glided on smoothly with this foundation as a base, and all the products made for flawless looking skin <3

on 5/10/2013 6:18:00 PM

The only reason i would not buy this product again is because of the pimples it so generously left me. I remember using this product 2 years ago and really liked it, but then i got bored and switched to MUF HD foundation. Eventually, i became bored of that foundation and decided to switch back to sheer glow. Everything was good for the first day, and then i got pimples on my forehead that were big, almost itchy, and took a while to disappear.

I really liked the finish; was not harsh in daylight, looked good at night, photographs well, and covers well. The colour matches are great, such a wide variety. I dont mind that the bottle has a cap you have to unscrew, but i sort of mind the price. It's pretty heafty for liquid foundation that doesnt last more than a month.

All in all, had it not gave me pimples im sure this would have been my HG... sadly, didnt work the second time around.

on 5/9/2013 12:25:00 PM

I am a great lover of NARS products but in this one disappointed, way too much shine to make it usuable, at least at my age.
Structure is okay though as is packaging.

on 5/9/2013 8:44:00 AM

Lovely foundation with a flawless finish. Not too heavy with that "painted on" look which is perfect for me as my skin is fairly clear most of the time. Goes on well but don't link the fact that no pump comes with the bottle - this foundation is £29 surely they could include a pump within that price? Not cool NARS!! They suggest applying with fingers but I prefer a brush and sponge technique a it's less messy (I'm always in a rush). Definately one to try if you prefer a more natural foundation.