NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 1/27/2013 3:44:00 PM

This is my absolute favourite foundation and here's why:
1. Looks like you aren't wearing foundation (and I have dry/normal skin it depends on the weather!)
2. It doesn't smell of anything
3. It has an amazing range of shades, especially if you are Asian/coloured
I would say the only con is:
1. You have to buy the pump seperately
I have 2 shades so that I can use this foundation all year round, I have brought 3 bottles so far!

on 1/25/2013 12:27:00 AM

Oh, this foundation. I'd been wanting to try this for agesss and finally got my grubby hands on three generous samples of this from my lovely neighborhood Sephora. I tried this during the summer, a few months ago, when my skin was acting up a bit already and was a little blotchy, bumpy, and combination. I was hoping this would help even out my skin tone, which needed some decent coverage, while still being light enough not to exacerbate the skin issues I was already having. I ended up with some very mixed feeling about this product.

First, the good: from a slight distance, this does give my skin a nice glow. It covered small imperfections and my skin looked overall very pretty. Also, I found the color selection to be good, better than even most high-end foundations, although this could be because I'm yellow-toned, and apparently these shades skew very yellow. I couldn't quite find an exact match, but came closer than I usually do. I am a very, very hard to match shade, very pale with some yellow and olive undertones and some rosy patches too. Siberia was the closest match, although Gobi came close also and could work. For my summer skin, Siberia is a bit too pale and Gobi was only a smidge too dark. Probably, if I mixed the two, I'd hit the jackpot. I also tried Mont Blanc, but found it to be extremely pink-toned compared to the other two shades, and made me look really weird the one day I wore it out to give it a chance.

Now, the problems I had with it- the bottle needs a pump, as many other reviewers have said. Also, the texture could be much finer. While from a slight distance it looked pretty, as soon as I got within a foot of the mirror, even in forgiving lighting, I could see the texture of my skin and my pores too well for me to be satisfied with it. I don't expect my skin to look flawless, but this made it a little too rough for my liking. Perhaps it was too drying for me. I also prefer my foundation to be layerable, and trying to layer this only made it cake more and more. One layer was workable, but the textural issues only multipled every time I tried to blend further or layer. I need more versatility than that.

I think this is worth trying, but definitely get a sample first!

on 1/24/2013 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Despite the price, I thought this product worked really well. I didn't need to use concealer at all, and with this, a little goes a long way. It does give me a natural finish, and it looks great in pictures! I used this for prom! I literally only needed a fat drop of this stuff and it covered my entire face. I would definitely repurchase again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have normal to dry skin, so I thought that this would be great for me. A lot of the colors are very yellow, so it was hard to find a match for me because I'm pink toned. Even the ones that claimed to be neutral were really yellow. This really emphasized how dry my skin was, which was strange for a product that has the word glow in it. It settles around my nose which isn't flattering at all.

on 1/21/2013 7:24:00 PM

I think the case with all the products we're reviewing is that not every single thing is going to work for every single person, but that doesn't mean that if something doesn't work for every person reviewing, that it's a bad product. You might get something that works for the majority though, and this seems to be one of those products.

For women in my age group (40's, with skin that is starting to age) or with normal to dry skin, I think this is a great foundation. I have combination skin, but starting to get drier on my cheeks and especially around my eyes. Wrinkles starting to show a little more so I am very picky about foundation, as I don't want something that accentuates my lines. I have tried Estee Lauder Demi Matte, Loreal's foundation, Chanel Vitalumiere and Bare Minerals. Nothing wrong with them except that Estee Lauder's is nothing special for the price. Loreal's felt sticky but also dried my skin out. Chanel's was okay. Moisturizing, though not enough coverage so it looks like you didn't put anything on at all, but not in a good way. Bare Minerals gives a nice finish but dries my skin out, and can be cakey looking. And I always moisturize before foundation, yet I still got dryness with all of these.

So onto Nars Sheer Glow Foundation... LOVE IT. The finish is FLAWLESS. Now, note that I don't glob on a lot of foundation, and I use a foundation brush to blend it in. I think this is key with this foundation. It's not cakey or sticky yet it has not dried my skin out at all, and I took a walk today out in the cold, which always dries me out. This stuff stood up to that. As for my fine lines, it's decent enough. Better than anything else I've tried as far as that goes. The color I use is Fiji and it matches my skin to a tee. I've never had a foundation match that well. I hear that the color choices do not work for some people at all, and as I said before, not everything will work for every person. Nars foundation just seems to be the thing that works for me. While it may not for others.

For women in their 40's I recommend this foundation. If it doesn't work for you I hear good things about Jemma Kidd and Shu Uemura, but good luck getting the latter because it's always sold out. And you can only buy it online so you can't test it to see if it matches your skin or not. But lots of ladies swear by it.

The one sucky thing about this foundation is the bottle it's in. The cap doesn't screw on tightly enough so it leaks and it's a mess to work with. Barneys.com sells Nars foundation pumps for $ 6 and with free shipping. I ordered one today. I think the Nars counters sell them as well.

Anyway, I'm loving the Nars right now. I found my perfect foundation at last and I can now wear it in public and not feel self conscious of my skin looking cakey or my lines showing more. I actually feel confident about my skin with this on it.

Update: I've been wearing this foundation now for about two months and I adore it. I do find that it applies much better with a CLEAN foundation brush. I am not good about washing mine out often enough. If I don't, the application starts looking a little gummy, because basically I'm mixing oxidized make-up into fresh make-up.

on 1/20/2013 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $42 US dollars, which is pretty dang expensive.
COVERAGE: Light-Medium coverage,
FINISH: On me, its initial finish is semi-matte, but as the day went on, I found the finish to be dewy, or "glowy" as it claims to be.
TEXTURE: Its a bit liquidy, but its also quite blendable
SCENT: I did not detect a scent
SPF: I dont think there is any?
LASTING POWER: This is what surprised me by this foundation. I did not use primer, or a setting power because I really wanted to see how well it did with my skin. I have to say, it did an amazing job at making me not an oily mess by the end of the day! The foundation just looked better and better as the day went on. I would say it lasted 9 hours.
SHADES: They have an adequate shade range. I got mine in "Fiji", which was an OK match. A tad too yellow for me, but it was the closest fit to my skin.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope
PACKAGING: I do feel, because it is so expensive, I should not be made to pay extra for a pump. This should just come with a pump.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: I actually only got a sample... But when I have the $, I am definitely buying this!
FINAL VERDICT: This is seriously an awesome foundation... Kinda a step-up from my favorite foundation, Covergirl Natureluxe. Its a shame it is so EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

on 1/19/2013 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

It's not that I don't like this foundation, It's ok in the summer months but for winter up north, I need a little more moisture out of a foundation. As for the name Sheer, yes, it doesn't provide heavy coverage, so all is good if that's what you want. As for the Glow,,,, what glow? I like several of Nars products, but can only use this foundation in the summer.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

When somebody is looking for a suggestion for a foundation with light-to-medium or medium coverage, I suggest them this foundation.
I'm personally not too keen on NARS face products, other than their wonderful blushes, but this is an exception. Sheer Glow is actually a wonderful foundation.
It offers light-to-medium coverage, however it's very easy to build it up to a medium coverage. This surprised me, since I was expecting sheer coverage, due to its name, but it's definitely a pleasant surprise.
I like to apply this with my MAC 190 brush, which offers all-around even coverage, although I can imagine it applying well with a duo fiber brush, the Beauty Blender, or even your fingers too.
On your face, it actually settles into a satin finish (not dewy, like its name implies, and certainly not matte, like other reviewers here have said), but gradually, during the day, while it wears on your skin and your skin's natural oils begin to seep through, it turns into a nice natural dewy finish that doesn't look oily at all. For reference, my skin type is normal, for the most part, but in heat (i.e. during spring and summer, and dance practice) it turns a bit oily.
I recommend this foundation for those with normal, combination, or somewhat dry skin. Naturally, those with oily skin should avoid foundations with the word "glow" in its name, lol (just simple logic), so just thought I would throw that out there. :b
I'm NC35 with slight yellow undertones, and Stromboli is a pretty good match, however, it's too yellow! (I have the same problem with MAC NC shades.) Stromboli has strong yellow/olive undertones! Barcelona, on the other hand, had a better undertone match, but it was too dark. I think I'll pick this up in Barcelona during the summer when I become more NC40-ish. Punjab was too light (probably better for NC25-30), but, like Barcelona, it also had a better undertone match.
I do think that $42 is a bit too much (more like $35, to me), but I guess that's what you expect from NARS, right? (I still can't help but think that NARS could've at least added a pump. A little piece of plastic really isn't that expensive to make, you know!)
Would I repurchase? Yes.

on 1/14/2013 11:20:00 PM

Bought it twice. Really good full coverage. However is a bit yellow. When You put powder you can't tell much about it being yellow. Love the full coverage . Would buy again

on 1/14/2013 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love, love, love it !

When my MAC NW25 foundation became too dark for my winter skin, I thought I should buy something lighter for the winter. Also I realized I needed a lighter coverage. Before I purchased this product I read the reviews over here and I was a little disappointed.

However, when I was at Sephora I tried tihs foundation, After a few days I purchased it. I really really like this foundation. I really has a sheer coverage, but it does what it claims. I don't have acne problem, some little blemishes and sun spots. So this foundation gives me the exact amount of coverage I need. It is also very buildable and even minimum amount is enough. Also it doesnt feel heavy on the skin. But since I have combination skin I put some pressed powder around my nose and thats enough to keep it oil free all day !

And the last but not least color selection is amazing. The color Punjab is my exact skin match. Since I don't think I can find a similar match to my skin I will def. repurchase. It's not shiny looking by the way. More of the porcelain side with a very very light feeling. I you need slight coverage give it a go!

Video Reviews & Tutorials