December 18, 2014 | 887 users online

Eyes - MAC - Paint Pot in Bare Study

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2007 2:57:00 PM More reviews by jhadiq

I bought this along with the Painterly paint pot to use primarily as a base/highlight. Bare Study is a sheer shimmery ivory and Painterly is a skin-toned matte. Both are the most neutral base colors for the majority of skintones. I am surprised that I actually reach for this more than I do Painterly. Although I am NOT a fan of high shimmer, I do like this product very much. I bought it primarily to go under matte shadows to give it a bit more dimension, and that it does. (Although I prefer matte, I don't always like a purely matte/dry finish all the time, so this is perfect to give matte shadows a bit of gleam). It comes packaged in a glass pot, and looks like a shiny/high shimmer metallic ivory in the pot. However, applied sheerly, it gives just a hint of gleam, and a transparent wash of color. I think this would work on a wide range of skintones from light to dark, since it can be used very sheerly, and seems to let your natural skin color come through. Like other reviewers, I also think this is also a great all-over color wash when you don't want to wear a lot of makeup, or if you are going for a more natural look. You can get a pretty sophisticated look just by using this by itself with a smidge of black eyeliner and lots of mascara. As a base, it's fantastic - it makes your eyeshadows go on more smoothly and makes it easier to blend. It also evens out the color of your eyelid. If you're lazy like me, it works as a nice subtle highlight as well. Highly recommended. This and Painterly should truly be staples in everyone's traincase. My only complaint is that it comes in a glass jar; I would prefer plastic so I can more easily travel with it. However, this problem is easily solved by scooping some out into a small plastic sample jar for travel. In fact, this is how I've been using it anyway to keep the main jar from drying out quickly.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2007 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Fight4urRight

this is a great base for e/s. it does not crease on me at all. i love that it has shimmer. i wear it on my lazy days (almost everyday) when i don't feel like doing that much. i've never tried the old school paints, so i don't know how they compare.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by Foomph

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great eyeshadow base or a great eyeshadow worn alone. It makes my cheap d/s eyeshadows look like high quality ones! Yet I can also wear this shade on its own and it brightens up my eyes with a subtle peach-y pink-y shimmer that's not outrageous or 80s at all. I love it and will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2007 6:24:00 PM More reviews by hyperhoops

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

this is my one and only paint pot. so here it goes... i am an nc42.

this is great to use as an eyeshadow, eyeshadow base and brow highlight. i haven't tried it anywhere else.

as an eyeshadow, it creases slightly after a few hours, and wears of if i wear it for more than 6 hours because i have oily eyelids. if i use UDPP under it, it doesnt crease at all.

as an eyeshadow base: i bought this b/c i read it would make my eyeshadows pop. and it did. it brings out the pink in all that glitters. it also helps to make honesty stick. and woodwinked looks more gold. It also makes my eyeshadows last even longer. when i use it with an eyeshadow on top, i do not have to use UDPP to prevent creasing. i also sometimes go back and use it on the inner v (the MA showed me this).

as a brow highlight: the MA suggested i use a 217 brush and it works perfect! the 217 buffs it in, so it doesnt look harsh on my skin.

i gave packaging quality a 4 because its a glass jar and i had the hardest time opening it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2007 2:31:00 PM More reviews by akanesama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh, MAC Paint Pots - where have you been my entire life of oily eyelids?! I purchased Bare Study on a tip that it helps eyeshadow stick to oily eyelids. And it outperformed my craziest expectations!! It makes my eyeshadow POP and it lasted for 9 hours without a single crease!! It's a creamy, pink shimmery champagne color and it's just a wonderful base. If you have oily eyelids, give this a try!!! I swear it's magic in a pot! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2007 9:05:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I love Bare Study so much. This creamy Paint Pot is a shimmering, pink-based champagne that's lovely as base or as a wash or as a highlighter - or all three at once. I'd been using Beige-ing Shadestick, but Beige-ing doesn't glide on nearly as effortlessly as Bare Study. Bare Study is just gorgeous underneath everything, and it's not wildly obvious, either - your eyeshadows will just have more pop, and you'll look instantly more luminous. Lots of product for $20CDN.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2007 1:54:00 AM More reviews by shirlh

Bare Study is the latest addition to my paint pots collection. I bought this as the store just happned to run out of Rubenesque. Quite happy to have scored this instead, because I found that it's lovely on the brow bones. The shimmery pearl/champagne colour is the perfect highlighter, the great staying power also means no touch ups necessary!

Without doubts repurchase material, if I ever finish the huge pot!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2007 10:57:00 AM More reviews by masqued_dreamer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

let me start by saying i love the idea of the paint pots. I have 4 of them so i normally like how they apply, but bare canvas just doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't really make my shadows pop like Rubenesque does. IT's just a blah color for my skin tone and i would not purchase it again. I just don't like the consistancy of the bare study. It just doesn't go on my eyelid as smoothly as some of the other ones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2007 3:54:00 PM More reviews by westside

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Perfect as a browbone highlight or allover shadow. Easy to apply with a just about any shadow brush. I find this to last longer than powder shadows and it's so creamy and feels great on the skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2007 5:18:00 PM More reviews by luckyrose11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this! great when all my pigments. Long wear too!