MAC Paint Pot in Bare Study

4.2

on 12/27/2007 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I only have two Paint Pots, but I love them! This is the one I use most as it's a great neutral, wear-with-anything shade. I like to use it under my powder (or cream: Metal-X) shadows, or even alone over UDPP. In the pot it reminds me of a creamy version of Vanilla pigment because it's ivory with a golden iridescence. When applied, it's very sheer and adds a little bit of miniscule shimmer. It's a great look alone on days when you don't wear much on the eyes, and it's also an amazing base that, like the Paint Pots are supposed to do, pick up a ton of pigment and make your powder shadows pop. I have better color payoff with this than UDPP, and with powder shadow over it, it usually doesn't crease for me, and I crease badly with no primer. When I wear this alone, I do use UDPP as a precaution against creasing. I love this and use it just about every day and would buy again!

on 12/19/2007 12:47:00 AM

I LOVE this product! I use it over UDPP, as I have super oily lids. Together, they make the perfect natural "no-eyeshadow" look, giving my eyes a slightly sparkly but clean look. This combination also works as the perfect eyeshadow base for me, as UDPP helps prevent my eyelids from getting oily, and Bare Study helps the shadow cling better, and gives the slightest bit of sparkle underneath any shadow. This is a must-have product for me, and I wear it every single day, either alone or under whatever eyeshadow I wear. Definite HG.

on 12/4/2007 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this along with the Painterly paint pot to use primarily as a base/highlight. Bare Study is a sheer shimmery ivory and Painterly is a skin-toned matte. Both are the most neutral base colors for the majority of skintones. I am surprised that I actually reach for this more than I do Painterly. Although I am NOT a fan of high shimmer, I do like this product very much. I bought it primarily to go under matte shadows to give it a bit more dimension, and that it does. (Although I prefer matte, I don't always like a purely matte/dry finish all the time, so this is perfect to give matte shadows a bit of gleam). It comes packaged in a glass pot, and looks like a shiny/high shimmer metallic ivory in the pot. However, applied sheerly, it gives just a hint of gleam, and a transparent wash of color. I think this would work on a wide range of skintones from light to dark, since it can be used very sheerly, and seems to let your natural skin color come through. Like other reviewers, I also think this is also a great all-over color wash when you don't want to wear a lot of makeup, or if you are going for a more natural look. You can get a pretty sophisticated look just by using this by itself with a smidge of black eyeliner and lots of mascara. As a base, it's fantastic - it makes your eyeshadows go on more smoothly and makes it easier to blend. It also evens out the color of your eyelid. If you're lazy like me, it works as a nice subtle highlight as well. Highly recommended. This and Painterly should truly be staples in everyone's traincase. My only complaint is that it comes in a glass jar; I would prefer plastic so I can more easily travel with it. However, this problem is easily solved by scooping some out into a small plastic sample jar for travel. In fact, this is how I've been using it anyway to keep the main jar from drying out quickly.

on 11/29/2007 2:01:00 AM

this is a great base for e/s. it does not crease on me at all. i love that it has shimmer. i wear it on my lazy days (almost everyday) when i don't feel like doing that much. i've never tried the old school paints, so i don't know how they compare.

on 11/21/2007 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a great eyeshadow base or a great eyeshadow worn alone. It makes my cheap d/s eyeshadows look like high quality ones! Yet I can also wear this shade on its own and it brightens up my eyes with a subtle peach-y pink-y shimmer that's not outrageous or 80s at all. I love it and will definitely repurchase.

on 11/21/2007 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

this is my one and only paint pot. so here it goes... i am an nc42.

this is great to use as an eyeshadow, eyeshadow base and brow highlight. i haven't tried it anywhere else.

as an eyeshadow, it creases slightly after a few hours, and wears of if i wear it for more than 6 hours because i have oily eyelids. if i use UDPP under it, it doesnt crease at all.

as an eyeshadow base: i bought this b/c i read it would make my eyeshadows pop. and it did. it brings out the pink in all that glitters. it also helps to make honesty stick. and woodwinked looks more gold. It also makes my eyeshadows last even longer. when i use it with an eyeshadow on top, i do not have to use UDPP to prevent creasing. i also sometimes go back and use it on the inner v (the MA showed me this).

as a brow highlight: the MA suggested i use a 217 brush and it works perfect! the 217 buffs it in, so it doesnt look harsh on my skin.

i gave packaging quality a 4 because its a glass jar and i had the hardest time opening it!

on 11/15/2007 2:31:00 PM

Oh, MAC Paint Pots - where have you been my entire life of oily eyelids?! I purchased Bare Study on a tip that it helps eyeshadow stick to oily eyelids. And it outperformed my craziest expectations!! It makes my eyeshadow POP and it lasted for 9 hours without a single crease!! It's a creamy, pink shimmery champagne color and it's just a wonderful base. If you have oily eyelids, give this a try!!! I swear it's magic in a pot! :)

on 11/12/2007 9:05:00 PM

I love Bare Study so much. This creamy Paint Pot is a shimmering, pink-based champagne that's lovely as base or as a wash or as a highlighter - or all three at once. I'd been using Beige-ing Shadestick, but Beige-ing doesn't glide on nearly as effortlessly as Bare Study. Bare Study is just gorgeous underneath everything, and it's not wildly obvious, either - your eyeshadows will just have more pop, and you'll look instantly more luminous. Lots of product for $20CDN.

on 10/31/2007 1:54:00 AM

Bare Study is the latest addition to my paint pots collection. I bought this as the store just happned to run out of Rubenesque. Quite happy to have scored this instead, because I found that it's lovely on the brow bones. The shimmery pearl/champagne colour is the perfect highlighter, the great staying power also means no touch ups necessary!

Without doubts repurchase material, if I ever finish the huge pot!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

let me start by saying i love the idea of the paint pots. I have 4 of them so i normally like how they apply, but bare canvas just doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't really make my shadows pop like Rubenesque does. IT's just a blah color for my skin tone and i would not purchase it again. I just don't like the consistancy of the bare study. It just doesn't go on my eyelid as smoothly as some of the other ones.

Top Rated MAC Products