August 20, 2014 | 1428 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2007 1:45:00 PM More reviews by rachel89

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Since this product is my staple everyday foundation, I figured that I should finally get down to writing a review on it and let everyone else know how great it is :)

First of all, you should know that I have tried nearly every type of foundation. Liquid, powder, cream, mineral, cream-to-powder... the list goes on. And nearly every brand has also made an appearance in my collection -- L'Oreal, Maybelline, Cover Girl, Neutrogena, Almay, Bare Escentuals, Everyday Minerals, Wet N' Wild, Proactiv (yes they have makeup), Jane... ah yes.

One day, I was in CVS and realized that my current foundation (L'Oreal Bare Naturale) was out of stock. I looked around for another similar mineral makeup and all I could see was Cover Girl's "true mineral" powders. In the past, Cover Girl has the reputation of making me break out, so I was torn between possibly running out of foundation (scary thought!) or possibly breaking out even worse (also a scary thought!).

But then I noticed a section of attractively packaged makeup by a company called "Physician's Formula." Their bronzers' packaging actually caught my attention first, and I nearly purchased a pressed face powder that day.... until I spotted the Mineral Wear Loose Powder. After taking a closer look at the container, I realized just how huge it was compared to most powder makeup... nearly a full 14g/.5oz. And the price was pretty reasonable -- just $11.50 (I have recently discovered that IL Walgreens carry all the shades for just $10.50 each, and IL Targets for $9.50 each. And just a side note for those of you purchasing this product at Walmart -- they seem to only carry three shades -- Translucent Light, Translucent Medium, and Creamy Natural -- for $10.50 apiece).

[Briefly, I must be honest and say that I did spend quite a bit of $$ color-testing these foundations. I have tried Translucent Light, Translucent Medium, and Creamy Natural before discovering that Buff Beige is both the best redness-concealing color and the best match for my skin.]

Now, as for the product itself -- it is definately my HG foundation! I would highly recommend application with a good, full kabuki brush, since the included brush is a piece of garbage :) And certainly make sure to exfoliate first (try a St. Ives scrub, about $3) so that the powder doesn't cling to flakies, moisturize well and let that sink in, and use a good stick concealer (like Maybelline's CoverStick, about $5).

Maybelline's Coverstick concealer is truly the perfect complimentary piece to this foundation, at least in my opinion. I highly suggest that everyone try the combo at least once. And I don't know how Physician's Formula did it, but somehow this product covers exceptionally well while still giving your skin some depth. By this I mean that your skin isn't one matte, pale, mask-like color. It almost looks like you already have blush on in all the proper places after you put this foundation on.

I wouldn't recommend this product so much for those with very dry skin, but for oily/combo/acne prone skin types, this should work perfectly! This product hasn't broken me out at all, though I cannot say that I have seen the "skin improvement" from this product that some others have claimed. But that's quite fine by me, so long as it does its job of covering without breaking me out even further :)

Overall, my HG foundation! In my opinion, everyone should try this powder foundation, along with Maybelline's CoverStick, at least once. Great, natural-looking coverage, and it even looks good in pictures too!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2007 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Seyda_26

Overall I will never buy this product ever again. I dont' usually breakout, maybe one or two, but after using this I broke out on both of my cheeks and forehead.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2007 7:28:00 PM More reviews by mallorysusan

I've been using this stuff for about six months, and I really like it. I wear this one days when I don't feel like going all out, or when I'm having an excellent skin day. Or I use it over my MAC studio tech to give me a more natural look. I love that I can get it practically anywhere, plus it's half the price of what I could spend on some MAC powder. It gives me just enough coverage, but doesn't look like I'm wearing any powder. Plus I love that it is basically translucent (hence the name of the color I use, translucent light). It's hard to match makeup to my pale skin, and this is perfect.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2007 7:04:00 PM More reviews by loveitxoxoxo

I LOVE THIS. I had bought one of this in translucent light to go over my foundation like last year...but I just really never used it cause it kinda mde my skin look gray-ish. I bought a new shade..buff beige after reading the reviews on here on how good it covers. I also bought the 2in 1 concealer twins: light/green, i was originally gonna buy the mineral concealer in green and light but found that the 2-in 1 had two colors in one with the same price of one of the mineral concealer...back to the loose powder. It has really good quality, it offers light to medium coverage, you can build layers, but it would look cakey if you apply too much. The one that I jsut bought had a nice softer brush compared to the other one i bought, maybe they're improving the brushes?..But it covers amazingly if you use concealer with it. It will last through like about 8 hours the most I fyou have combination skin like I do. Foe the color choices: my skin is really light compared to other people's but I found that I had to use buff beuge and even that was a little too light.. but translucent light, buff beige, and creamy natural are for people with yellow undertones while translucent medium are for people with pink undertones..I don't know the rest..sorry :)...here goes the order for the YELLOW undertone from light to darkest for some of them: translucent light (lightest of all of em), buff beige, creamy natural ( i think thats not the exact name).....
TIP: for the brush, if you find it too hard and stiff, try washing it a few times and it will be softer..:) hope i helped

~ * UPDATE * ~
Even though this didn't break me out, it just doesn't cover that great anymore and whenever I try to layer it on, it looks cakey and unatural. This product also emphasizes my pores. Since then, I have moved on to Revlon New Complexion One Step Compact Makeup [oil free, compact, cream to powder, doesn't cause break outs, lasts all day, medium to full coverage (can be light too). If the PF Loose Powder isn't workin for you, then try this one..I have combination skin and it works great for me!]

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2007 8:48:00 PM More reviews by soniawonia

Meh. Its just not mineralish. Yeah, new word. Haha.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2007 2:13:00 PM More reviews by cinn05

i got this almost a year ago because i started to have blemishes here and there and i wanted something to cover up...i use it with the green concealer stick and it was amazing.

i got the translucent medium and it matched my skin pretty well...and i will definitely repurchase:) but i guess it won't be anytime soon since one bottle lasts forever!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2007 5:03:00 PM More reviews by mysticalara

I overall like this product a lot! It has taken me too long to find a good cover-up that matched my skin tone EXACTLY. A lot of times, the colors are a little off no matter which one I try. However, this blends in so well with my skin, and the coverage is perfect. I have fairly dry skin and rose patches on my cheeks and near my jaw line, and it covers them completely. What's great is that it's buildable. I can control how much coverage I want depending on how my skin is acting that day. I find that it doesn't look cake-like or have that fake look most of us hate.

Two things I think need improving however is the container and the brush. The brush flat out hurts. It can be really scratchy and hurt the more sensitive skin like my forehead and around my eyes. Until this gets resolved, use a different brush of your own, unless you can withstand some of the pain. The other problem is the container. I do like the concept of concealing everything in the one small container (brush), however, when you use it, the fact that you have to pull the brush out, lift open the flap, pray that no powder comes flying out (what a waste), and then try to shake out the powder into the lid. When you do this, make sure you hold the lid as close and as tight as you can to the powder half so that none falls out. Since the brush is tiny, it is difficult to hold the brush a swirl the powder into the bristles because since the lid has high walls, your fingers tend to get in the way and all you do is smack the sides the whole time. With this, try working off the sides more rather than the middle.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2007 8:34:00 PM More reviews by historydiva

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this mineral powder. It is an excellent concealer and foundation. Depending on how you apply it - it will be a nice, light finish or heavier coverage for those really bad skin days. It doesn't have too much sheen (no mica?) like other mineral foundations (L'Oreal, Alima), and it really blends nicely becoming a second, smooth skin.

Amazingly, it has staying power even in humidity and heat. It does not slip away like L'Oreal did for me. Also, my skin literally improved after using this mineral makeup regularly. Less congestion, less zits. Finally, it really does a nice job of toning down redness or naturally evening out skin tone. I will definitely buy again. (The mineral veil is awesome and so are the blushes & eyeshadow. PF is a majorly underrated brand and I love their products.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2007 6:23:00 PM More reviews by applebronzer

I love this product, it covers the redness and zits on my face. Even though its a powder I use it as a foundation. Just a little moisturizer before application and I'm good to go. Its long lasting and doesn't break me out and reduces the shine. Its been about six months since I've brought it and it still looks like I haven't used it at all. Its definitively worth the price I got it on sale at walgreens for under ten bucks, but I'd pay more for it. Its a perfect match for my skin tone too! The only thing is that it doesn't cover under eye circles well and the brush is a bit stiff but I can deal with that.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2007 6:44:00 AM More reviews by godfreygirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!! I would have given this 5 stars all the way if it weren't for that horrible brush on top. I just saw this in the shelf at K-Mart and bought it. I am SO glad I did. I bought the "Matte Finishing Veil" in Translucent and BOY what a difference! I'm 64 and look much younger. But, I have to use foundation because of being a sun worshiper before they told us we shouldn't. So foundation is a must. But I haven't been able to find the right loose powder for a while because it just LOOKED like I had power on rather than giving me a nice finish to keep my foundation from making my face look shiney. Well....this one DOES just that. I was SO happy when I first used it. Boy what a difference from my old loose powder. It didn't even look like I had any on.....it just gave that undetectable finish to my face that I needed and did NOT gather under my eyes like my old powder tended to do. A little goes a long way and, like the others posted here, that brush on top is useless. I threw it away....too stiff, the powder wouldn't squeeze down into the brush and just shouldn't even be packaged with it. I'm sure I paid for that. Next time I will just get the powder itself without the brush. But, unless there's something else better out there that I find, this will be MY powder from now on.