October 21, 2014 | 1837 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2011 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Nicola21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Couldn't wait to review this, bought it yesterday and opened it up last night, smells exactly like coconuts mmmm so good, I rubbed it into my legs after shaving and I was pleasantly surprised at how fast it adsorbed as I'm not really a fan of the oily feeling, used it on my legs once more before bed and when I woke up my legs felt like silk, softer than any moisturizer I have ever used before, I cant stop touching them!!

I plan to try using this in my hair and I will update after I try that!

Also when buying make sure to buy Organic Extra-Virgin unrefined coconut oil, and be sure to check that the only ingredient is coconut oil. My friend bought a hair mask before that claimed to be coconut oil, but coconut oil wasnt even the first ingredient.

UPDATE: Haven't really kept up with using this as a moisturizer because it take a bit longer than a reg moisturizer to adsorb and I'm usually in a hurry...If I have an extra few mins I sometimes do. I have used it as an overnight hair treatment though, and its amazing for that... I microwave it for about 1.5 mins and then apply it through the mid length and ends through my hair up in a bun and go to bed, wash it out in the morning and when my hair drys it feels noticeably softer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Tricho

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

You can buy small tubs of this stuff at Superdrug for cosmetic use, they are about £2.99 - I use them on my hair and on my legs, not on my face due to some of the warnings on here and because of the fact my skin gets clogged easily. If you buy this from Superdrug then whatever you do don't eat it, it's got added fragrance. I use far pricier stuff to cook with and make sure it's as unrefined as possible and organic if possible. I don't like using that for cosmetic purposes because when I can get it cheaper then I feel it's a waste. This stuff does a brilliant job, forget your expensive body lotions, forget moroccan oil - this stuff can do both of those jobs for you. I put it in my hair overnight then wash it out the next day, it helps it stay in good condition and smells lovely. For body this is an intensive moisturiser. For a food product it's a healthy oil to cook with and it doesn't go rancid like olive oil does at high temperatures. If you like lean eating use coconut oil to cook with. I recommend this to everyone, wonderful and very versatile!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by JLB2005

I have been using this fo a year or so as a facial moisturiser. Just the tiniest bit for day (say, size of 2-3 grains of rice) on a damp face, let sit in before make up. At night, I use a bit more. I also routinely extra on my neck and decolté. My face is much more balanced and the weird wrinkles that were starting between my breasts are gone. Also, I don't use it every day and evening, but likely several times weekly as I alternate with retin A in the evenings and a glycolic acid-based day cream (sometimes I combine them). Finally, as much as I love coconut oil, I prefer a heavier eye cream at my age.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Here is my summary:

-Hair: will try again, but not HG. If doesn't work over time, will stop completely.
-Legs: HG!
-Feet: HG!
-Lips: Not bad in a pinch.
-KP on arms: Made worse.
-Cuticles: HG!
-Face: Not for me.

I took a hot bath, shaved, washed my hair, and exfoliated. Then slathered coconut oil over my entire body and hair. Took a low heat dryer to my hair for 30 minutes, off and on, then went to sleep.

Results:

-Hair: (I have 3b? curly hair, mixed ethnicity products work for me because parts of my hair are very fine while other parts are so tightly S curled and frizzy it's kinda nappy? *sry if that's inappropriate word* - when wearing it natural, I have to CO wash it, and weigh it down with massive moisture, end up with triangle head most days, so am always looking for that HG moisture product for curly dryness. I recently gave up going natural and returned to my Keratin straightening treatments, and am now not looking for a leave in product, but something to mend the frizzy and split ends that happen over time with this hair) The hair itself doesn't seem that different. It was really hard to wash out (I oversaturated), and that may have stripped some of the benefits away. Or maybe it would be better over time and repeated usage. My styling as nice, but no more than if I used Morracan Oil on wet hair before blow drying with a round brush. But hey, coconut oil is cheaper... not quite HG for me with the hair. Might try to repeat over time and see if it helps mend more than way.

-Legs: (have pale legs with dark, fast growing hair, so in the summer, tend to shave every other day. I am usually running late and am too lazy to moisturize, so my legs tend to be the dryest skin of my body). This is HG! My legs feel smooth and supple, a little slippery on the first day, but it's the second day and I don't feel the need to shave and they feel wonderful.

-Feet: (I have dry heels, pretty normal though). This was wonderful too - I like how the coconut oil seems to keep moisturizing your skin even after it rinses off, and it doesn't make it hard to wear shoes (slippery feeling - I hate that).

-Lips: (I have dry patches on my lips now, really bugging me since this is recent development, prob from not drinking enough water) Didn't solve my dry patches, but they are considerably better. As in, I don't notice them unless I check to see if they are still there... however, can't exactly carry around a tub of this in my purse to whip out and reapply, so not HG.

-KP on arms: (I have mild KP, better now that I stopped tanning - think the tanning oil made it worse - and use a clarisonic on it twice a week). Some reviews said it helped their KP, I think this just irritated mine. Was redder than usual, but this could be a pattern for me that heavy oils on my arms make my KP worse.

-Cuticles: (I have dry, peely culticles) this worked wonders, 48 hours later, still no little white skin that makes me want to scissor it off.

-Face: (I have normal skin which doesn't need moisturizer except after exfoliation but tends to turn slightly oily as the day goes on). Not for me. Didn't break me out except two tiny blemishes which may or may not be linked to the coconut oil because they were not near my hair line plus i get small blemishes occasionally anyway. But even after I washed it off, it didn't sink into my skin, and my makeup got oily very fast that day. Second day after rinsing and back to normal, feels very smooth and supple under my foundation, but since my face doesn't need this much moisture on a regular basis, won't be using again. Maybe will use as a cheap moisture mask in the winter.

EDIT Jan 2013: I tried using Coconut Oil as a cheap winter body moisturizer. After 2 months, I just switched over to Avocado Oil, which does not break me out. I found that upon regular use on my body, it seemed to actually dry out my skin rather than hydrate it. Also, any hint of Coconut Oil near my face just terrified me, as any contact with the substance gives me cystic acne on my face. I will stick to less inflammatory oils from now on, and save the Coconut Oil for cooking.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2011 3:55:00 PM More reviews by chuchu33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this based on the reviews here and other places...I went to the Whole Foods store and bought a jar of virgin organic unrefined coconut oil....I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts on my chin area and I am 37, getting older so I am worried about wrinkles and uneven skin tone so I thought why the heck not, it's all natural and got great reveiws. Well I first tried it on my hair...it was ok, I was not blown away with the conditioning, but I still decided to use it as a nighttime moisturizer at first it was great, my skin felt so much smoother and looked more even but about 2 weeks into it I started to breakout, on my chin, my problem area. I thought hmmmm this must be the purging process...then I started to breakout on my forehead too and then on my cheeks, I never breakout on my cheeks. Anyway I wanted this to work so bad for me, casue it's all natural and cheap...well I kept using it with the breakouts for another 4 weeks, hoping after the "purging" I would have glowing beautiful skin. I finally gave up on it, my skin never cleared up until I stopped using it. I do not recommend it for skin that is acne-prone. So now I am on the hunt, yet again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2011 3:34:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i use the spectrum (sp?) organic version of this that you'd find in the baking area or the grocery.

and i basically just slather myself with it, honestly.

i use a tiny bit in my hair if its feeloing dry on the ends (in wet or dry hair). But what i REALLY love it for is for after i shave. my legs used toget really dry and itchy and i'd get bumps there and on my bikini line after shaving, but not anymore! i have tried all kind of lotions, jergens, palmers, etc, and nothing helped. this does WONDERS!

and then while i'm at it on my legs i usually just put it everywhere else too, since its such a good moisturizer.

it takes a little bit to sink in, but what doesnt?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by jenluvsmav

I have totally changed my facial products. My skin is acne prone but is normally ok except that I am pregnant so my skin has been breaking out. Also my skin in very dry, espcially on my cheeks and very red. I began to wonder if the Sodium Laruate Sulfate in the wash I was using was the cause. Anyway, I wanted to go totally natural. So as a mask that I will be putting on for two week, tonight will be day 5, is 3 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Wash my face with Honey (organic, raw, unpasterized honey only). Tone with Witch Hazel. Moisturize with organic, unrefined Coconut Oil....I put a few drop of Lavendar oil in with about a 1/4 of oil....Lavender is good for troubled skin.
The Coconut oil has NOT caused any blimishes and my face is prone to break out. SO I recommend making sure when using on face to make sure it is organic, and unrefined. Also the price is great....around $10 for a jar that will last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by solai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Got sweaty feet? Hate the smell? Virgin coconut oil is your new best friend! I can't use this stuff on my face because it breaks me out but it's a must in hand and foot care. It takes care of smelly feet, prevents athletes foot and keeps my feet happy and healthy all year round. It also makes a great cuticle oil but for some reason works best when I use it under a moisturiser. One small jar goes a long way as long as you keep the opened jar in the fridge and depot a smaller amount to keep in your bathroom/wherever. A staple product for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2011 6:38:00 PM More reviews by sangsookpak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My skin type: oily, sensitive, acne-prone. I used the Nutiva brand organic extra-virgin coconut oil. I used it morning and evening as a moisturizer on my face and neck for several weeks. For the first few days, my skin looked and felt great; smooth and clear. Then I broke out in huge red pimples and dry, irritated red patches all over my face and neck. I don't believe in purging, but I really wanted this to work because of all the anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties I'd heard that coconut oil has. I kept using it for the next month, and it just kept getting worse. So I stopped, and now I'm using Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions cleanser and toner to help clear up my skin, and that's been working for the last week.

I gave it a 2 rating because I'm now using coconut oil on my feet and on a patch of eczema I have on my leg, and it seems to be working fine on those areas.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Piggie8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Average, but if you have acne-prone skin like me, DON'T BUY IT! You guys, it makes me break out, even on my hands!!! If I buy coconut lotion with coconut oil in it, I get zits on my hands, WHAT THE HECK?!! My mother is also acne prone and it makes her break out too. Fine whatever if you like it, but this is my skin's worse nightmare.