November 23, 2014 | 2121 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2011 9:31:00 AM More reviews by jumijinny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Coconut Oil is the best! I use it on my face and it doesn't make me super oily, I even try to turn it into a facial mask :D It doesn't affect my skin even when I have breakouts. I even use coconut oil for my hair every single day. It really does help prevent my hair from splitting, since I wash my hair every single day. I use it mixed with my conditioner and it does wonders for my hair! :) I love this and I will definitely repurchase when I run out of my tub. It has so many uses and is so inexpensive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2011 3:48:00 AM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love coconut oil! It's my favorite all around moisturizer for my face, body and hair. I use it almost everyday after cleansing - it comes in solid form in a jar so I just take a small amount and warm it between my (clean) hands and massage it into my face and neck. It soaks into my skin quickly and becomes soft and velvety after a couple of minutes (although I often use olive oil or another heavier moisturizer around my eyes and my forehead since I find coconut oil isn't quite moisturizing enough for those areas). I have very acne prone skin and have never broken out in the year or so that I've been using coconut oil on my face (but, as always YMMV ;). I use the remainder on my hands and hair - if it's night I will braid my hair and leave the coconut oil in over night and wash it out the next day - it makes my hair smoother and stronger. I love the way it smells too. I also use it in fruit smoothies - it is healthy fat and tastes delicious!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 4:04:00 PM More reviews by hjjung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would buy this again solely for food usage, but this definitely isn't for everyone's face. I normally don't develop any reactions to a lot of products, and I started using this as a makeup remover, and I got 3 cystic acnes from it.. which never happens to me. But it works very well as a hair mask; just run it through your hair, wait as long as you can, and shampoo well. While my combination-dry skin with NO pre-existing acne got cystic acne from using this, my really oily-skinned, super acne-prone sister loves to use this to remove makeup, so I recommend buying a small jar if this is your first time trying this on your face.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2011 12:57:00 PM More reviews by beegirl81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I buy pure coconut oil in supermarkets in the Netherlands. sometimes I am only able to find it in small ethnic supermarkets but there are also a few big ones which carry it so it's not difficult to find. the standard price is 2.50€ for 500gr which is a lot of product. I know there are many uses for it but I use coconut oil only as a makeup remover. it works perfectly for me and every night before I go to sleep I pamper myself with it. I tried it once on my hair and I did not like the result, so since then I stick only to the makeup removing use. I just remove most of my mascara with warm water and then use the cononut oil on eyelashes and eyelids. then, I use it also to remove foundation and powder (always put a bit of water on the skin before I work the oil onto it) and it works perfectly. it removes makeup til the very last bit and leaves your skin baby soft. I always wash it away with a delicate face washer with natural ingredients and my skin is still soft and moisturised the morning after, but not oily. I am really happy with the result. and the best thing is that a very small amount goes a long way so it's not only the best but also the cheapest makeup remover I ever used. I would also say my eyelashes look much better since I use it! stronger and fuller, and more healthy. I have been reading on the reviews and discovered many uses for it, maybe I will give it a try. all in all I am superhappy with it. only the packaging is very basic for the one I buy, I wish it was a bit better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 2:09:00 AM More reviews by jesscuz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! I use it on my face, my skin glows. I have been getting lots of compliments on my skin. I stopped using it and started using a normal face moisturizer, I broke out bad with acne. So now I'm back to using the Extra virgin organic coconut oil, and now my break out is going away. I slather it on at night before bed, and wake up with really soft, even toned, glowing skin. I even think my dark undereye circles look better. After i get out of the shower in the morning, I warm a very small amount in my palms, and pat my face with it, avoiding the eye area so that it doesn't interfer with my eye makeup. I give it 5/10 minutes to sink in, then put spf, primer and makeup on. I use it in my hair, once a week, works great. I use it as a total body moisturizer, Awesome. I cook my popcorn in it, so delish. I keep telling my friends how great it is but people are so scared of oil, its sad because this oil Rocks! Haha! I just cant say enough about how good it is.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2011 9:47:00 AM More reviews by NyeinMon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

okay, count me in on the coconut oil craze!
so i have had a hard time with my skin during teenage years thanks very much to my super oily, sensitive skin which always has a pimply bump or two popping up daily. because of this, ive stayed far away from any type of moisturizer or hydrator for my face. its oily enough anyways.(trust me, ive tried a lot of moisturizers-cetaphil,eucerin,u name it) but they just sit in top without absorbing.
coconut is the opposite of that! at first i was reluctant to put it on, thinking that it was gonna cause breakouts but the only bad thing it has ever done to me was the initial purging. its not bad exactly-just its way of removing impurities from the skin. the first week, my skin did become dry and scaly at some parts but that went away quick. ive been using extra virgin CO and it leaves my skin so glowy,moisturized and so clear. after washing my face, i just use a few drops of it and massage it all over my face, including my eye area. my face feels so good after applying it.
im not sure if its coconut oil or my hormones but my skin doesnt seem to be as oily as it usually is. i wake up every morning and just feel so blessed that my skin is just so clear and glowing now.
this sounds really funny but i believed with all my heart that this was going to save my life(skin-wise) and even after all the bad purging and roughness it put me thru, i kept on being faithful to it. it paid off well. so, if u havent tried Believing, u should! God's creation in nature is so much better for us than using all these commercial creams and lotions.
now CO is my HG home moisturizer and night treatment. i wouldnt use it under makeup tho..it might make me look like a shineball.
a lot of ppl have asked me what i use on my skin,even my ortho.lol. they wouldnt believe me when i said it was CO!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2011 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Nicola21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Couldn't wait to review this, bought it yesterday and opened it up last night, smells exactly like coconuts mmmm so good, I rubbed it into my legs after shaving and I was pleasantly surprised at how fast it adsorbed as I'm not really a fan of the oily feeling, used it on my legs once more before bed and when I woke up my legs felt like silk, softer than any moisturizer I have ever used before, I cant stop touching them!!

I plan to try using this in my hair and I will update after I try that!

Also when buying make sure to buy Organic Extra-Virgin unrefined coconut oil, and be sure to check that the only ingredient is coconut oil. My friend bought a hair mask before that claimed to be coconut oil, but coconut oil wasnt even the first ingredient.

UPDATE: Haven't really kept up with using this as a moisturizer because it take a bit longer than a reg moisturizer to adsorb and I'm usually in a hurry...If I have an extra few mins I sometimes do. I have used it as an overnight hair treatment though, and its amazing for that... I microwave it for about 1.5 mins and then apply it through the mid length and ends through my hair up in a bun and go to bed, wash it out in the morning and when my hair drys it feels noticeably softer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Tricho

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

You can buy small tubs of this stuff at Superdrug for cosmetic use, they are about £2.99 - I use them on my hair and on my legs, not on my face due to some of the warnings on here and because of the fact my skin gets clogged easily. If you buy this from Superdrug then whatever you do don't eat it, it's got added fragrance. I use far pricier stuff to cook with and make sure it's as unrefined as possible and organic if possible. I don't like using that for cosmetic purposes because when I can get it cheaper then I feel it's a waste. This stuff does a brilliant job, forget your expensive body lotions, forget moroccan oil - this stuff can do both of those jobs for you. I put it in my hair overnight then wash it out the next day, it helps it stay in good condition and smells lovely. For body this is an intensive moisturiser. For a food product it's a healthy oil to cook with and it doesn't go rancid like olive oil does at high temperatures. If you like lean eating use coconut oil to cook with. I recommend this to everyone, wonderful and very versatile!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by JLB2005

I have been using this fo a year or so as a facial moisturiser. Just the tiniest bit for day (say, size of 2-3 grains of rice) on a damp face, let sit in before make up. At night, I use a bit more. I also routinely extra on my neck and decolté. My face is much more balanced and the weird wrinkles that were starting between my breasts are gone. Also, I don't use it every day and evening, but likely several times weekly as I alternate with retin A in the evenings and a glycolic acid-based day cream (sometimes I combine them). Finally, as much as I love coconut oil, I prefer a heavier eye cream at my age.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Here is my summary:

-Hair: will try again, but not HG. If doesn't work over time, will stop completely.
-Legs: HG!
-Feet: HG!
-Lips: Not bad in a pinch.
-KP on arms: Made worse.
-Cuticles: HG!
-Face: Not for me.

I took a hot bath, shaved, washed my hair, and exfoliated. Then slathered coconut oil over my entire body and hair. Took a low heat dryer to my hair for 30 minutes, off and on, then went to sleep.

Results:

-Hair: (I have 3b? curly hair, mixed ethnicity products work for me because parts of my hair are very fine while other parts are so tightly S curled and frizzy it's kinda nappy? *sry if that's inappropriate word* - when wearing it natural, I have to CO wash it, and weigh it down with massive moisture, end up with triangle head most days, so am always looking for that HG moisture product for curly dryness. I recently gave up going natural and returned to my Keratin straightening treatments, and am now not looking for a leave in product, but something to mend the frizzy and split ends that happen over time with this hair) The hair itself doesn't seem that different. It was really hard to wash out (I oversaturated), and that may have stripped some of the benefits away. Or maybe it would be better over time and repeated usage. My styling as nice, but no more than if I used Morracan Oil on wet hair before blow drying with a round brush. But hey, coconut oil is cheaper... not quite HG for me with the hair. Might try to repeat over time and see if it helps mend more than way.

-Legs: (have pale legs with dark, fast growing hair, so in the summer, tend to shave every other day. I am usually running late and am too lazy to moisturize, so my legs tend to be the dryest skin of my body). This is HG! My legs feel smooth and supple, a little slippery on the first day, but it's the second day and I don't feel the need to shave and they feel wonderful.

-Feet: (I have dry heels, pretty normal though). This was wonderful too - I like how the coconut oil seems to keep moisturizing your skin even after it rinses off, and it doesn't make it hard to wear shoes (slippery feeling - I hate that).

-Lips: (I have dry patches on my lips now, really bugging me since this is recent development, prob from not drinking enough water) Didn't solve my dry patches, but they are considerably better. As in, I don't notice them unless I check to see if they are still there... however, can't exactly carry around a tub of this in my purse to whip out and reapply, so not HG.

-KP on arms: (I have mild KP, better now that I stopped tanning - think the tanning oil made it worse - and use a clarisonic on it twice a week). Some reviews said it helped their KP, I think this just irritated mine. Was redder than usual, but this could be a pattern for me that heavy oils on my arms make my KP worse.

-Cuticles: (I have dry, peely culticles) this worked wonders, 48 hours later, still no little white skin that makes me want to scissor it off.

-Face: (I have normal skin which doesn't need moisturizer except after exfoliation but tends to turn slightly oily as the day goes on). Not for me. Didn't break me out except two tiny blemishes which may or may not be linked to the coconut oil because they were not near my hair line plus i get small blemishes occasionally anyway. But even after I washed it off, it didn't sink into my skin, and my makeup got oily very fast that day. Second day after rinsing and back to normal, feels very smooth and supple under my foundation, but since my face doesn't need this much moisture on a regular basis, won't be using again. Maybe will use as a cheap moisture mask in the winter.

EDIT Jan 2013: I tried using Coconut Oil as a cheap winter body moisturizer. After 2 months, I just switched over to Avocado Oil, which does not break me out. I found that upon regular use on my body, it seemed to actually dry out my skin rather than hydrate it. Also, any hint of Coconut Oil near my face just terrified me, as any contact with the substance gives me cystic acne on my face. I will stick to less inflammatory oils from now on, and save the Coconut Oil for cooking.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No