October 25, 2014 | 767 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2006 12:14:00 PM More reviews by ninagirl

This has been a god-send. When I turned 18 I developed painful acne, the kind that lingers for weeks and leaves dark spots. Three months of Retin A 0.05% cleared it up like a charm. It's also kept lines and wrinkles at bay; I've been repeatedly told I look much younger than I really am :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2006 5:13:00 PM More reviews by xxsharonxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am using Retin A Micro. Great prdouct I got from my doctor. It peels the skin a bit the day after, but its the only thing that keeps my acne under control . Sometimes it works in just a few days.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2006 1:52:00 PM More reviews by gothchiq

This stuff is horrible. It ate my face off. Even 6 months after stopping it, I find that my skin texture is coarser and I have twice as many lines and wrinkles. It's the worst thing I've ever used.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2006 1:46:00 AM More reviews by blondeangelwing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Retin A is definitely a life saver but it requires TIME & Patience. I'm 22 and I've had breakout all my life and I have pale skin so that makes it even more horrible since they're more prominent on my skin. I also have sensitive skin so when I used this, it BURNED LIKE HELL! and I broke out more, I was pissed even though they told me it would happen. However I continued, and now my skin has never been more clear! it took about 2 months to start working but I havent had one zit (even around my period when I used to break out horribly) this really does work if you give it time. If you have sensitive skin, it will burn, turn your face red, and literally make it feel like it's on fire--- It got SO bad with me that I had to splash my face with ice water numerous times a day for the first month. By month 2, my skin adapted and burning stopped and it's never looked better. So trust me, I'm extremely stubborn and if you're the same, then really try to give it a shot. If you cant afford it, then just ask for the generic one, it works just as good :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2006 10:38:00 AM More reviews by lilly10

So far so good for me. I have been using retin a Micro for about 3 weeks now for some mild acne on my forhead that developed from over use of a moisterizer. It started clearing my skin right away and I noticed my skin tone evened out as well. My chin just started to get red from RAM yesterday but that is to be expected. I have not had the initial breakout yet and hope I dont have one but we will see. RAM can take 7 weeks to see improvement. It is pulling out the blackheads from places I did not even know I had blackheads as they were not visible at all so this is a good sign it is working. The other drawback I am noticing is that it has made my face oily and shiny so I hope this to shall pass in the coming weeks. Cant go wrong here acne treatment and wrinkle prevention all in one.

I do not put this product on my nose or near my lips or under my eyes per instructions that came with RAM. By the way I use .04%.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2006 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Sonatina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use Retin-A Cream 0.025%. It prevents and clears my clogged pores very effectively, and it has the added bonus of anti-aging properties. I started with short contact therapy and left it on for 1-2 hours per night. A few months later, I am able to leave it on all night with little irritation. I use it a few times a week, and cut back when I experience redness. I never purge from tretinoid, thank goodness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2006 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Shmabby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I went off the pill this summer and have been battling with my skin since then. I finally got a prescription for this from my dr. (I've used it in the past) and I really had to wonder why I didn't just do it during the summer. I feel like such an idiot. I've used this for ONE WEEK, yes, just ONE WEEK, and EVERYONE is commenting on how amazing my skin looks. I absolutely can't believe it. People are oohing and ahhing over how glowy my skin is. And, this is while my face is flaking and peeling all over town - and yet people are still complementing me on my skin. I can't wait for my face to get used to it (I am using the .025 concentration). It is clearing up my stubborn blackheads (that proactiv wasn't able to do). If I said I was thrilled it might be the understatement of the year. I use this every night after washing with dove (nice and mild) and toning with witch hazel aspirin toner. I then put on the retin A and it works wonders. Twice a week I use the oil of olay microdermabraision to help with the dry skin (works wonders) and then twice a week I juse queen helene mint juliep mask mixed with witch hazel, aspirin and honey. This regieme has changed my life, and it's likely mostly to do with the retin a. I am thrilled!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2005 12:51:00 AM More reviews by walljoy

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It works. I have been on prescription Retin-A in its many various concentrations and forms for about 15 years now (however, I have had acne longer than that and have used other methods for controlling it). Thinking back to when I first started on this stuff using a Retin-A cream at about 0.025% and ending with my present day Retin-A micro at 0.1%, I can say in all earnest that this stuff works. I've used gels and creams but the most effective is the micro version of this stuff. Since I have been on it so long, my skin easily tolerates high concentrations of this. I cannot remember all too well how I first reacted to this stuff but there were some breakouts. In fact, there always have been even for the 15 years I have been using it. That is why I have so many other things going on in my skincare regimen. Retin-A is not the cure-all nor the be-all or end-all; but, rather it is an effective part of a maintenance program for troubled skin. It helps to make the skin cells less 'sticky' so they slough off more readily. I have never worn this stuff at night...never could stand the feel of this at night for some reason...its got a weightiness to it that I can't stand on my face at bedtime, so I have always used it during the day. Perhaps I did not get optimal results this way as it is supposed to be photosensitive; however, I don't think it made much of a difference. I actually used Retin-A in combination with BPO (at night), more specifically Benzac AC10, and found the BPO to be more effective in zit zapping. Over the past couple of years, I have changed my routine with this stuff...instead of 7 days a week, I use it 5 days and save the weekends for Aloette or some other alternative. I like my skin to rest a bit and perhaps lessen that tolerance a tad or two since I am at the max in Retin-A concentration and there's nowhere to go anymore as far as an upgrade to a higher level. For beginners on this Retin-A treatment program, whether for wrinkles or acne, be patient with the initial redness, breakouts, and other 'stuff' that results from this. Remember that the secret to healing from acne is to PEEL. So when you see peeling, this is a good sign and over time it will keep occurring for you but at a microscopic level that is not so visible anymore...and this is good. So, over the course of time, your skin will become more and more tolerant of this stuff and you will notice improvements. Those lines underneath the eyes start to disappear and those zits become more and more kept at bay. I have no problem at all wherever I apply this stuff. My eyes, lips any soft area...it all responds well with zero irritation. I now combine this product with '10% Exfoliating Oil Control Glycolic Acid/2% Salicylic Acid' from DDF (and sometimes Aloette's C-Accelerator, which is vitamin C in powder form) and have increased its potency to a high degree. But my skin needs that and can handle it since it is conditioned from lots of years being on retinoids. I will most likely continue to use this product for the rest of my days as it has helped me to maintain a healthy level of control over my acne condition. There is also the added benefit of the Retin-A minimizing facial lines, which results from sun damage. Expensive but good stuff!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2005 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Jenesis914

Retin A works very well to get rid of acne fast but you have to keep on using it even if your face gets all flakey. But..for me, I had to stop using it. I can do flakey but this seemed to...burn the outer layer of my skin off. I was peeling off what I thought was gel residue but it turned out to be my SKIN. It was like peeling off dried elmers glue. it DID get rid of my cystic acne on my chin. I would def use this again but I would probably not use it for more than 3 times a week with a day or two of rest in between.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2005 7:57:00 AM More reviews by livtylerjadian

I started using this on the 10th of November 2005 for treatment of my acne on my chin and forehead area as well as blackheads on my nose. Thankfully my cheeks are totally clear and has never been a problem.

My dr prescribed me to Retin-A (Jenssen-Cilag) which i am to use every night and Eryacne which i use every morning.

The first 2 weeks of using this was absolute HELL! I did not get a new pimples but the skin on my chin peeled and burned and dried up like HELL! It was soo dry and red and soooo rough it felt like touching a reptiles skin. What made things worse was that it would feel awful while applying Eryacne every morning because it would just feel like burning my skin and making it red. My skin was 2-toned for the first 2 weeks..my face was normal but my chin was a very deep red.

Then everything cleared up and my t-zone was even under control. However, a day before my period all hell broke loose again on my chin area. I just felt like giving up But i felt that most probably these pimples were hormonal so i couldnt really blame Retin-a. It took about a week for the pimples to disappear and NOW i have VERY NICE SKIN AND THERE ARE NO MORE PIMPLES..WELL AT LEAST FOR NOW AND THE SCARS ON MY CHIN ARE GRADUALLY BEGINNING TO DISAPPEAR..I AM SO HAPPY I CANT STOP MYSELF FROM WRITTING USING CAPS..OHH AND MY CHIN FEELS SOOO SMOOTH THAT I CANT STOP TOUCHING IT AND YES ITS BAD TO TOUCH AYE..

The blackheads on my nose are rather stubborn so it takes time but for once it is gradually disappearing and feels smoother.

I have to say that this takse patiance. My dr told my to try it for at least 8 weeks and then go in to meet her again if it doesnt work. You have to bear the initial period of using this. I did not go out for teh whole two weeks because it was just sooo embaressing.

My skin is not dry anymore though there is a dry patch just below my lip on the left hand side . I use cetaphil cream to mositurise my face and that takes care of my dry patches. I also use cetaphil cleanser which is gentle especially when my skin was sooo sensitive and burning.

I will update this from time to time but for now i am very satisfied because for once my skin look great and im not embareesed of my skin anymore.

***UPDATE***
Things are looking great. NOT ONE PIMPLE ever since. Love this product and hope it works for you too. This is the product that i want with me if i ever get stranded on an island!!! Skin looking greater than ever. Its the best NZ$90 that i spent on PERIOD!.