Chanel No.5

3.5

on 10/28/2007 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

To me, it smells like flowers, baby powder and a whole bunch of cleaning solutions mixed together. Too overpowering for me.

on 10/26/2007 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my favorite perfume. I can only describe it as having a wonderful, "round" baby powder scent. I'm not too thrilled about the end notes: After a while, what can remain is a smell that's like very faint "motor oil," or so said a male friend of the family. I do notice that I can prevent the "oil" scent from developing if I use it on high moisture areas of my body, like between my elbows or behind my knees. Highly recommended if you can afford it.
EDIT: (11/10/2008) Wow, I'm really impressed. I sprayed some eau de toilette in my hair and I can still smell No. 5 17 hours later!

on 10/23/2007 12:13:00 AM

Worst perfume along with all chanel perfumes... I agree with the girl below me... I almost puked from the overwhelming scent of this perfume...

on 10/20/2007 5:52:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

The worst perfume I have ever smelt. I almost fainted from this! I hated this smell. It was way too strong. And it smelled a bit weird too.

on 10/19/2007 2:19:00 AM

this perfume gives me all kinds of happy. i don't know what it is, but from the initial top note to the drydown, i simply love smelling this stuff on me and just putting it on is an instant cheer-upper! i live in tropical weather so i need to wear it (in EDP) in small doses, either a single spray on my throat or left wrist (depending on where i'm headed off to... and yes, i'm a lefty). this perfume is really complex and stands apart on its own, so those who keep bleating on and on about no. 5 smelling like an old lady/funeral home should at least give it a chance to settle on the skin properly instead of judging on the aldehyde content alone. i'm only 27 but i've been loving this since i was 18.

on 10/18/2007 9:59:00 PM

Ok - this comment is updated from the post below. I went back to Macys today with the "Pure Parfum" in hand. The Chanel counter manager was shocked at the lightness of the color and consistency . After applying it the scent was gone within an hour. She had just received the Parfum from the manufacturer. So we opened the other one as well - same thing ! Is this a manufacturing problem ? The manager was very apologetic. I ended up purchasing EDT and EDP along with a gift set to replace the Parfum. - I would be interested in hearing if this has been experienced by anyone else.

I have worn Number 5 off and on for years. My favorite version was the "Sheer Moisture Mist" which was cancelled two years ago. When I wore that I was complimented by everyone. I have since searched around and the only thing that comes close to the notes are the bath soap. Today I sprung for my first bottle of the pure parfum. The color in the bottle seems very light - almost greenish! For some reason I always thought it would be more golden. The packaging was awful. There was a string tied around the top and then a plastic sealer which was very difficult to get off. The bottle has no weight to it . It feels like I am holding a mini sample. I did purchase the .5 oz (15 ml) and it was over $150 at Macys.Its ok , but I am wondering if I prefer the freshness to the EDT . The dropper and bottle are so small it drips all over your fingers. I am sensing lots of musk and know that I won't be getting any compliments on this . Very dissapointing . I miss the freshness that I expeienced in the moisture mist and hope that eau premiere (their new version) resembles that and doesn't have the overly vanilla sugar tones their exlixer has. I am really in Limbo but don't want to wear anything else...

on 10/12/2007 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I always give perfumes a fair chance so although its dated, its not bad. I just didnt find that it was worth such an expensive price. I bought the EDT which was cheaper than EDP. Had this stuff been alot cheaper I might have purchased more. I shared the rest of my bottle with my mom and it smelled like a real pretty powder on her. White Diamonds which is my favorite seems to have a little simularity of chanel no. 5 and its alot cheaper!!!

on 10/7/2007 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I will always love Chanel No. 5. I have the refillable perfume bottle, which I also love. I definitely agree that this one really has to work with your body chemistry, and it does for me - so you absolutely must really test it out and give it an hour to sit with you before you decide.

Definitely the most classic of all of the Chanels I wear.

on 10/6/2007 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I realy wanted to love this perfume due to its notoriety but unfortunately it is not for me. It's way too heavy and matronly for me. It could be a body chemistry thing but I took one sniff on my wrist and grimaced! For me, it smells to "chemical", lacking any lighter floral notes. It would suit some but I'll stick to Allure if I feel like Chanel.

on 10/6/2007 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm in mourning for the former No. 5 scent - such a classic; reminds me of going to church with my mom, who passed away 25 years ago. It had become my signature scent, too. I just purchased a new bottle of the eau de perfume and it doesn't smell ANYTHING like it used to. After reading here about the reformulation, I returned it to Nordstrom and the rep totally denied that it had been changed, blaming my age (47) for my change in what I thought it smelled like - how insulting! I'm now perfume-less and am on a hunt for my new one. My old faves are Chance and Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, but I really loved No.5. I also have a hard time finding a fragrance that doesn't give me a headache and makes me feel nauseous. Sooooooo bummed.

Popular Fragrances