November 21, 2014 | 1828 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2007 8:01:00 AM More reviews by rtbabb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm in mourning for the former No. 5 scent - such a classic; reminds me of going to church with my mom, who passed away 25 years ago. It had become my signature scent, too. I just purchased a new bottle of the eau de perfume and it doesn't smell ANYTHING like it used to. After reading here about the reformulation, I returned it to Nordstrom and the rep totally denied that it had been changed, blaming my age (47) for my change in what I thought it smelled like - how insulting! I'm now perfume-less and am on a hunt for my new one. My old faves are Chance and Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, but I really loved No.5. I also have a hard time finding a fragrance that doesn't give me a headache and makes me feel nauseous. Sooooooo bummed.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/3/2007 5:41:00 AM More reviews by sillyjillie

Too much aldehyde! Really does not work for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2007 1:19:00 AM More reviews by tatlicupcake

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

smells like soap. it is not complex, fruity, floral, youthful, or groundbreaking. It smells like a strong soap your strict great aunt would have in her bathroom.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2007 11:47:00 AM More reviews by morgans

I really wanted to like it as it's such an icon, but it's just too strong for me. The sandalwood note is so prominent it reminds me of a certain soap. It smells not bad at the department counter, and I guess there are so many perfumes in the air, my nose gets numb so this strong one takes note? I can't wear it alone and it easily overwhem any other scent, so now its a deco on my dresser.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2007 11:18:00 PM More reviews by rbella

I really love this perfume. I wear it for all special occasions. My HG fragrance. Lovely scent and I always get compliments when I have this on. My husband is also a big fan!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2007 1:28:00 PM More reviews by cdo0208

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My grandma used to work in Women's fragrances and this is her all-time favorite. This smell brings back memories of being a little girl and smelling her perfume. I definitely believe that if you are going to wear this fragrance, the pure parfum version is the only way to go. The EDP to me smells just like baby powder, which is not a scent that I am particularly fond of. However, the parfum, while still powdery, also smells like jasmine, which is lovely. Chanel no.5 is still not "me" though, because I prefer scents that are more intoxicating, and they usually have much warmer notes than this. I'd much rather wear Allure, or one of my all-time favorites, Coco Mademoiselle. Still sophisticated, but more my style. Perhaps it is convenient that I am not a fan of no.5, because my boyfriend detests it. I do appreciate this fragrance for being an elegant, timeless classic though.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2007 10:39:00 PM More reviews by fcabrera

I'll never forget when i first tried this. I was 13, and i tried one of those paper ads that come it the mail, and i was hooked. i loved it. at first it smelled kind of like a pretty warm baby powder. very smooth and warm and pretty. i didnt get that first thought of an "old lady" smell when i tried it. that never came to my mind. i just had to have it after that though and i begged my dad to get it for my birthday. when we went out to get it i also fell in love with coco mademoielle, so he got me that for christmas a year later. i think its best for the fall winter months, or just whenever you wanna feel extra special. i think with this you just HAVE to get the EP, or else your not doing it justice. its always going to be my HG.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2007 3:39:00 PM More reviews by dakgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I worked for Chanel so I had plenty of opportunities to try each of their fragrances and wear them a few times.

I never liked Chanel 5 edt or edp, it was too strong for me. However I LOVED the scent of the body products. They were softer and more of what I hoped the fragrance itself would be. My favorite was the Voile Parfume, the alcohol free mist that was discontinued in the number 5 line awhile back. (I hoarded all I could!)

Then came Elixir Sensuel, which was an even better version of the Voile. The great thing about this scent is that you can find a strength or combination of body products to layer, to create the perfect version for YOU.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2007 2:15:00 PM More reviews by Aquababac

Yep, bittlerly dissapointed in the reformulated version. Both MM and Coco are turning in their respective graves. Missing that 'something'...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2007 2:36:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

Chanel No. 5 EDP is -or *WAS* - a fool proof fragrance.

Any woman could have worn it and even if it wasn't "you" it was still pleasant. On me it would start off crisp, clean, & effervescent and settle down into a soft, powdery skin but better scent. Others might have smelled "old lady" but on me it ended up, "cute little girl."

Today I sprayed some on. It started a ghost of it's former self. Began fading the second it hit my skin, and had some strange smells in it.

I don't know what the notes are, but they're weird. I can remember there were times when I would smell a little something kind of "off" in the older EDP. Something a little sharp, crude, & citrussy. Nothing scary, just enough to make it interesting and as soon as you smelled it, it vanished. Covered up by the other notes that are so much more beautiful.

The EDP that I sampled today seemed to be almost *ALL* of those weird notes and hardly any of the beautiful ones. I sprayed it on at around 12pm and I could hardly smell it even with my nose pressed to my wrist by 12:30pm.

I feel bad because I think Chanel has gone seriously down hill. Maybe it's a way of cutting costs but it's horrible.

I wouldn't purchase it (knowingly). It's very sad.