Chanel No.5

3.5

An absolute classic, and a staple in my perfume collection. It is "mature", but extremely sophisticated. Men love when I wear this, especially with a classic little black dress, pearls, and upswept hair. This is strictly a "special occasion" fragrance for me, as it is a bit much for daytime. It just makes me feel sexy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Eyes: Violet

This was a revolutionary product. If you are at all interested in perfumery, please read up on the development/marketing.

I feel it kind of led to the destruction of natural perfumery, but that's just my conspiracy theory.

Okay, I used to adore it. It has that synthetic, headache-inducing powder scent. You really cannot identify any notes unless you try very hard. It's designed that way purposely.

It's a pretty scent that men seem to adore and women look up to. I get treated differently by sales associates when I wear this perfume. It's got status behind it, if nothing else.

It's terribly expensive. It has lasting power, and the dry-down is pleasant--a musky vanilla baby powder.

Recently I've found I'm allergic to it and get a runny nose whenever I wear it. I am pretty sure when I was 18 I asked for it for graduation because Marilyn Monroe swore by it and because of all of the glamour surrounding the stuff.

I might buy it again one day, for nostalgia. It's the first perfume my almost-husband smelled on me, so there's that!

If you're looking for a delicate yet strong and *very* feminine smell, go for it. Just don't put on too much, please. For the sake of your fellow diners/elevator riders/co-workers!

I liked it back in the 80's now when I get a whiff it makes me want to gag. It seems so outdated and perfumey.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

By far my favourite perfume so far. I may be 18 (barely a woman?), but this definitely makes me feel like one. Very elegant, sophisticated, chic, and timeless. Looks great and smells great. I guess, in a sense, it's everything a woman wants to be.

Is it blasphemy to say that I don't like this perfume? Probably. But I don't. On me, it smells like pure baby powder. I get none of the nuances one is supposed to get with No. 5: I might as well just douse myself in baby powder instead. This may be the fault of my skin chemistry, since it smells much nicer and classier on my sister (though still very powdery), but this "classic" just doesn't cut it for me. The packaging is very nice, though.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I currently have vintage EDT from the 60's and it is out of this world! It is such a full bodied and deeply rich fragrance that is unoffensive and long lasting. The florals really develop nicely on my skin and it is just heavenly. I have tried the modern EDP and it is awful! So synthetic and chemical smelling, all I get are the aldehydes and powder -- that's all, no florals whatsoever! The modern EDT is much better and closer to the vintage EDT in my opinion than the EDP, and I have yet to try pure parfum. Try all 3 concentrations before you make a choice, since they will probably smell different on everyone

this is the smell of a independent, successful, classy woman.
i really, really like this clean-blossom-like fragrance.

but you may not use too much of it, only a drop or two.

my bf likes it

This is a classic that I personally find over-rated. It's a very old-fashioned fragrance. It's really for older ladies (which I am) but I wouldn't buy it for myself. It's described as a floral but I find it quite heavy. There is a lot of jasmine in it, which I find rather old-fashioned.
Interestingly, I quote from Wikipedia:
"Laboratory tests have shown that Chanel No. 5 contains secretions from the perineal glands of civet cats. Civet is a powerful fixative, making the scent last a long time. Animal rights groups such as the World Society for the Protection of Animals express concern that civet is harvested in a method cruel to animals. The Chanel company claims that, starting in 1998, natural civet has been replaced with a synthetic substitute."
I wouldn't think of it as a modern scent, although I understand that young women are "re-discovering" these older perfumes now.
Its history is legendary - the first fragrance created by coutourier Coco Chanel in 1921.
The packaging is faultless - very elegant bottle which is well worth keeping as an investment.

Eyes: Violet

I am in my early 20's and I love, love this perfume. It is feminine and sexy.. and very classy. I do not think it is for everyone though, especially not teenagers! It is a nice break from many of the fruity/excessivly floral scents that are so popular presently. Plus, Miss Monroe loved it so I'm sold ;)

This fragrance smells so feminine. It is light but still confident. It is powdery, clean, sophisticated, and complicated. It is me as a kid playing with my grandmother's make-up and string of pearls at her vanity. Unfortunately it is too mature for me. I can't wait for the Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere to be released! It is a softer version of the original, with less aldehydes. Perhaps I will find it more wearable.

Popular Fragrances