Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/1/2007 2:10:00 PM

I can count on one hand the number of perfumes I truly hate and this is one of them. Base notes of toilet cleaner and talcum powder with top notes of bug spray and methylated spirits. I don't know about old lady, it's more cleaning lady.

I wonder whatever happened to Chanel numbers 1 through to 4? Were they discontinued or were they just bad lab experiments that went wrong? Probably! Pheeww!

on 11/1/2007 12:35:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is one of my all time favorite scents. I splurged on the Parfum and haven't been disappointed. Three drops and I'm good for the day. At first it's kind of flowery, but my favorite part is when after awhile It smells powdery. Something about no. 5 makes me feel pretty and feminine. <3

on 10/30/2007 12:11:00 PM

The first fragrance I ever loved. Probably at the age of 16? So it was unfortunate it didn't quite suit me at that age, perhaps when I'm a bit older. This fragrance is warm and smooth. It is not floral, it is not sweet. It is mature and comforting. It is classic and for a woman who knows herself and her sexuality well. She's the type of woman who doesn't need to advertise herself.

on 10/28/2007 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

To me, it smells like flowers, baby powder and a whole bunch of cleaning solutions mixed together. Too overpowering for me.

on 10/26/2007 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my favorite perfume. I can only describe it as having a wonderful, "round" baby powder scent. I'm not too thrilled about the end notes: After a while, what can remain is a smell that's like very faint "motor oil," or so said a male friend of the family. I do notice that I can prevent the "oil" scent from developing if I use it on high moisture areas of my body, like between my elbows or behind my knees. Highly recommended if you can afford it.
EDIT: (11/10/2008) Wow, I'm really impressed. I sprayed some eau de toilette in my hair and I can still smell No. 5 17 hours later!

on 10/23/2007 12:13:00 AM

Worst perfume along with all chanel perfumes... I agree with the girl below me... I almost puked from the overwhelming scent of this perfume...

on 10/20/2007 5:52:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

The worst perfume I have ever smelt. I almost fainted from this! I hated this smell. It was way too strong. And it smelled a bit weird too.

on 10/19/2007 2:19:00 AM

this perfume gives me all kinds of happy. i don't know what it is, but from the initial top note to the drydown, i simply love smelling this stuff on me and just putting it on is an instant cheer-upper! i live in tropical weather so i need to wear it (in EDP) in small doses, either a single spray on my throat or left wrist (depending on where i'm headed off to... and yes, i'm a lefty). this perfume is really complex and stands apart on its own, so those who keep bleating on and on about no. 5 smelling like an old lady/funeral home should at least give it a chance to settle on the skin properly instead of judging on the aldehyde content alone. i'm only 27 but i've been loving this since i was 18.

on 10/18/2007 9:59:00 PM

Ok - this comment is updated from the post below. I went back to Macys today with the "Pure Parfum" in hand. The Chanel counter manager was shocked at the lightness of the color and consistency . After applying it the scent was gone within an hour. She had just received the Parfum from the manufacturer. So we opened the other one as well - same thing ! Is this a manufacturing problem ? The manager was very apologetic. I ended up purchasing EDT and EDP along with a gift set to replace the Parfum. - I would be interested in hearing if this has been experienced by anyone else.

I have worn Number 5 off and on for years. My favorite version was the "Sheer Moisture Mist" which was cancelled two years ago. When I wore that I was complimented by everyone. I have since searched around and the only thing that comes close to the notes are the bath soap. Today I sprung for my first bottle of the pure parfum. The color in the bottle seems very light - almost greenish! For some reason I always thought it would be more golden. The packaging was awful. There was a string tied around the top and then a plastic sealer which was very difficult to get off. The bottle has no weight to it . It feels like I am holding a mini sample. I did purchase the .5 oz (15 ml) and it was over $150 at Macys.Its ok , but I am wondering if I prefer the freshness to the EDT . The dropper and bottle are so small it drips all over your fingers. I am sensing lots of musk and know that I won't be getting any compliments on this . Very dissapointing . I miss the freshness that I expeienced in the moisture mist and hope that eau premiere (their new version) resembles that and doesn't have the overly vanilla sugar tones their exlixer has. I am really in Limbo but don't want to wear anything else...

on 10/12/2007 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I always give perfumes a fair chance so although its dated, its not bad. I just didnt find that it was worth such an expensive price. I bought the EDT which was cheaper than EDP. Had this stuff been alot cheaper I might have purchased more. I shared the rest of my bottle with my mom and it smelled like a real pretty powder on her. White Diamonds which is my favorite seems to have a little simularity of chanel no. 5 and its alot cheaper!!!

Popular Fragrances