December 19, 2014 | 1085 users online

Liquid - Almay - Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2007 11:08:00 PM More reviews by freshmintskittle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I SO wanted this to work! I am fair with acne-plagued (I've tossed out the "proned" term for the sake of realism) skin, and when I purchased this foundation, I was aware of the fact that salicylic acid had irritated my skin in the past. A few weeks after purchasing, I started noticing the old sal. acid irritation: dry skin with more acne and lots of flakies. I'm not taking off any lippies b/c it's still a good product, esp. for those with no sensitivity to the salicylic acid. The consistency is thick but it blends well, ivory was actually a good match for me (most ivorys aren't) and most shades seem to be yellow-toned and not pink, and it had pretty good medium coverage. It sometimes got a little too thick and the bottle is pretty terrible - can't tell you how many times i ended up with the stuff pouring out all over me and the counter! Still great though - would be better without the acne "medication."

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2007 7:48:00 AM More reviews by ChrisseMarie

I can't believe I hadn't tried this stuff sooner. I purchased this after failing to have any luck with Prescriptives Custom Blend. I've only been using it about a week and I love it. The color (Buff) matches my skin perfectly (a great neutral tone without pink). It's got a medium buildable coverage. There is no spf, which is fine with me because I prefer to use a separate spf that I already know will not break me out. I do still have to blot after a couple of hours. I think it helps having a bit of salicylic acid in it, it doesn't dry my skin out. I would prefer a pump bottle. The price is right as well (Compare $11 to the $65 I had paid for Prescriptives).

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2007 12:12:00 AM More reviews by RotaryGirl

After a decade of devotion to liquid foundations with heavy coverage, and sometimes almost chalky consistencies (Lancome Photogenic, Clinique Stay True and more recently the L'Oreal Infallible debacle), this light, almost gel-like foundation has taken some getting used to. The application is almost effortless, no drag, and no fight to get even coverage, but no comforting mask of perfection, either.

In conjunction with Almay's Moisturizer for oily skin, I'm noticing, in about a week's use, that my skin does look better. A couple of stubborn cystics are smaller and less red, definitely healing after weeks of hanging around, and I can compare the smoothness to that of the results of physical exfoliation. I think I'm beginning to prefer chemical exfoliation; the salicylic acid in the foundation and meadowsweet in the moisturizer are making my skin happy again. A small brown patch has faded a little, too. Overall my skin looks more plumped and younger. This is a more-than-fair tradeoff for my preference for the mask-like finish of my usual foundations.

I'm less oily at the end of the day, and actually look almost as good as when I applied, instead of having blotted it all off or powdered myself into a caked mess. This is arguably the best part of all. It also doesn't settle into fine lines or pores at ALL, another big smiley for me!

The only downsides, so far, are that it gives only medium coverage at best, and takes a long time to dry. I've found it's best to wait a few minutes, and fan my face a bit, before powdering so that things don't get cakey. It will look like it's going to stay shiny until it finally dries and goes somewhat matte.

I got this on sale at Walgreen's for $7.49 and the moisturizer was on clearance for less than $4, so the bargain factor is amazing considering I'd walked in intending to buy both based on MUA reviews. I'll be buying them both again at full price when I run out. I feel confident with the ingredients and so far, the results.

Edited to add: On my third or fourth bottle of this and still just as happy. Whenever I feel tempted to try something new, I remember those cystic breakouts from before and that stops me cold. I haven't had one in about a year now, and overall my skin looks and feels happy. I just wish they'd fix the bottle and add a pump dispenser!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2007 1:55:00 PM More reviews by princess_manner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite foundation. I get it in Buff 140, which is perfect for my pale olive complexion. The coverage is nice and long-lasting and it's easy to blend. What's more, is that it nixes zits! Perfect! Price is not so bad at around $11 a bottle. I will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/21/2007 9:53:00 PM More reviews by boomygrrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have had mixed results with this. I was about to give up on it, but lately it's made my face look great. I think the trick is to wait and let it absorb really well before applying powder over it. It has medium coverage but you can add more pretty easily if you need more coverage.
If you do not wait for it to absorb before adding powder, your face can look streaky. Or at least mine did.
Not sure it's really doing anything for my acne, but it isn't hurting it either. When my face is ultra oily, it does get blotchy later in the day, but for some odd reason it hasn't lately. My face is weird. I tend to have mixed results with all my foundations, so take it with a grain of salt.
Oh, also, I stopped wearing blush lately and that seems to help it from not getting streaky. If you can pull it off (not wearing blush), I would recommend doing so.
If I'm going for a natural look, this works. when I want to look really made up or if I need lasting power (day and night), then I use my clinique.

EDIT: I gave up on this and took away a lippie. Why you ask? The streak factor was just too much. Yes, sometimes it looked great on my skin...but more often than I would like, it just didn't. I have such oily skin that it just didn't work out for me. Other people might have better results, that's why I only took away one lippie...because on me, it's 1 to 2 lippies...a compromise, I guess.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2007 3:26:00 PM More reviews by Smerestain

i can only say so much good things about this product.i have normal/combo skin and get break outs very easily. i have use ulta mineral foundation and it broke my skin out like crazy.I recently purchased Bare Minerals hoping that it would give me good results, but after 2 hours on my face, i look like like i just came out of an oil factory!!!! my face look like it has been dunk in grease, and no matter how much i blot it, it never look as good as when i first it on. that product was a waste of money. this was my first liquid foundation.i was hesitant to buy it at first but it was 50% off at bartells. and after seeing good reviews here i said what the heck?.. i was very happy with the results this foundation last for more than 8 hours folks!! . it stayed put , and i look poreless!! it looks very natural, and it gives medium coverage so your face doesnt really look like a goop! it gave me a little pimple but nothing serious. i think i got the pimple coz my boyfriend keeps touching my face but i put some acne medicine and it went away. just be sure to put a lot of moisturizer because it can be a little drying because of the salycilic acid but other than that i love this foundation and will DEFINITELY buy it over and over again!!!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2007 5:41:00 AM More reviews by Breauna

This may be a bit early for a review since I've only been using this product for 3 days thus far. I'm so happy with it at this moment that I feel the need to add a positive review. I am very picky when it comes to makeup (and am also a product junkie). To be honest though, I don't normally buy department store brands so I can't compare or comment on those. I usually like to buy more "natural" products like the ones found at Whole Foods or vitamin shops, etc. I have tried several foundations in the past including the powdered mineral types and they never worked for me. For the past couple of years I've been using Zia Naturals liquid foundation (which is ok but a bit thick so I just blend it with moisturizer before application). Lately it's been feeling a bit "dirty" and just a tad too dark for me. I wanted a cleaner, brighter look. After reading the reviews I decided to try out this Almay Clear Complexion liquid. As far as drug store brands go, the ingredients aren't too terrible. I don't really expect it to heal any blemishes, I'll just be happy if it doesn't give me any new ones. I bought some makeup applicator wedges and this foundation in Buff (140). I pretty much assumed I would end up returning it but lo and behold, I love it! The color is not a perfect match, mind you, but it's closer than I expected to find. I have a difficult skin color to match being a quarter Japanese I am very fair yet still have a yellowish-olive tone. Buff is probably the closest match from this line unless I'd want to buy another and blend (which I may have to do when I tan a bit this summer). I put a very light amount of moisturizer on my face then I moisten the wedge and apply the foundation. It comes out even and I barely have to use powder now. Even though my skin is dry it still gets shiny around my nose and on my forehead. But with this foundation I need maybe one touch-up per day now. And when it does get shiny it appears more "dewy" than greasy which is nice. I'd say this is light to medium coverage depending on how you apply it. I suppose you could make it heavy if you really tried. It's not too perfumy smelling and it feels really clean when it's on. It took a couple of years off of my appearance, I swear. So long as this doesn't end up breaking me out, it is my new holy grail drugstore foundation. At under 13 dollars it was so very worth it. I almost didn't buy it because 90% of the time I'm disappointed when I try new makeup but I'm glad I gave it a shot.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2007 12:01:00 AM More reviews by vivified

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I. LOVE. THIS. FOUNDATION.
(just wanted to say that first and foremost :))

Price: 2- not the cheapest in the drugstore, but still a good bargain for a fabulous foundation

Packaging Quality: 3-I don't love or hate the package. The glass container is solid + sturdy, with a large opening. I suppose the foundation leaks a bit on the opening, but that's not a big deal. It holds the product. woohoo.

Overall Rating: I scored this product a 5... but I'd really give it a 4.5 if that were an option. SOOO close to HG.

Pros: Smooth looking medium coverage//did an excellent job in covering past acne scars//natural finish (in between matte and dewy, blends seamlessly into clean skin)// Didn't break me out, and I have very sensitive acne-prone skin (but didn't miraculously clear my acne.. didn't expect it to)//great color match, I'm nw15-20 (right in the middle!) and no 120 ivory blended in well//

Cons: oooone little thing... the salicylic acid (0.6%) makes this foundation unsuitable for use under the eyes. my undereyes get a bit dry if I use it there. so I'll leave that up to my undereye concealer. but that's the only thing that keeps it from HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2007 4:37:00 PM More reviews by paintedlikeadoll

Wow! I have to say with great surprise and pleasure, that this foundation does not suck!! Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who is strictly anti-drugstore foundations, due to the abysmal shade selections normally consisting of various horrid shades of gray, orange, pink, apricot, and mustard yellow. For this reason, I’ve haven’t given them much of a chance as far as quality and performance because I absolutely will not tolerate foundation that doesn’t match my skin perfectly (or nearly perfectly). But when my skin suddenly turned hyper-acne prone, I had to abandon all my beloved expensive custom-blended pimped-out high end foundations in a desperate search for something my skin could tolerate: namely, something SPF-free, oil-free, myristate-free, basically ingredient-free. This is why I decided to give Almay CCM a chance, not for what it contains, but for what it doesn’t contain. I tried Buff first – hmm not really a good match, too pasty-pale. Yuck. Then I bought Sand, the next darkest yellow-based shade. Way too dark & yellow! Then I mixed the 2 shades in roughly 1:1 proportion and voila! A pretty decent match! I can actually wear this! Now about the foundation itself: The consistency is fairly thin and runny (compared to what I usually use) and I’d describe the coverage as sheer-to-medium and buildable. It spreads and blends very easily, which is a definite plus! Never looks streaky or obvious. The finish is definitely matte. Basically, it’s an OK finish – doesn’t make my skin look as smooth as I’d like, and it certainly doesn’t comoflauge my pores whatsoever, but I will say that it wears well and keeps the shine at bay for most of the day. The most important thing is: it does not give me acne (as of yet, knock on wood). To sum up: CCM isn’t really HG, but it’s surely a keeper. Which is more, much more than I ever expected from a $12 foundation.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2007 8:03:00 PM More reviews by JCgirlie

This is the best liquid foundation I have ever used. Great coverage! Doesn't give the cakey look. I bought the lightest shade - Ivory - and it is perfect. I'm on my second bottle. Will continue to buy. *Though Walmart seems to not carry it recently. I hope I can find it somewhere so I can continue to use it. I do think drugstore.com has it if I can't find it locally. Highly recommend this makeup!