September 23, 2014 | 1407 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2006 2:43:00 PM More reviews by kissmark

This review is for Retin A Micro. This is maybe the 4th time that I am tried a retin a/retain a micro product. The first few times I used it for maybe a couple of months, had really flaky skin and didn't see any imporvment, so I stopped. This time, I decided to be more committed and more patient with it. To alleviate the peeling and dryness, I buffer it with jojoba oil. I put on jojoba oil while my face is still damp, and wait for 15 or 20 min, then apply RAM all over. It's been about 4 months and my skin has improved a lot . I have clearer, smoother and softer skin. Even my parents, whom I haven't seen in the last 4 months, commented that my skin is much better when they saw me again. They asked if I am still on antiboitics and I told them no, only RAM :) I am not 100% clear, and when I feel like my skin is going bad again I use acne org's BP gel. But overall I think RAM is doing a great job. Plus it helps with antiaging. It is quite cheap for me since I have insurance. A tube is about $35 and I think will last me at least 4 months. For those who are interested please be patient and wait at least 4 months before stopping.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2006 7:15:00 PM More reviews by katarina124

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been suffering from acne for many years and have been using topical antibiotics on and off. However, I developed a resistance to the antibiotic and tried to use BP, but that just burned my skin. My dermatologist recommended retin a micro which is the gentlest form of retin a because it utilizes a micro sponge delivery system. I was very sceptic at first, my skin started burning and peeling like crazy for about 2 months, but I stuck it out and after about three months a saw a huge difference in my skin. My skin is now clear and the pores are tighter and most of the blackheads are gone. The only thing it did not help against is my oily skin. However, with oil blotting powder my skin looks absolutely perfect!!
A word of warning: you do have to use a good sunscreen while on retin a since it increases the skin cell turnover and sensitizes the skin to the sun. A spf with proper uva protection is needed, ie avobenzone and mexoryl, Ombrelle by Loreal make sunscreens with adequate uva protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2006 5:39:00 PM More reviews by babyslk7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Retin A Micro gel for more than 2 yrs and altho my skin is super strong or thick, I still can suffer from a little flakiness esp if I use it w glycolic products. Then I found AVENE DIACNEAL from MUA, I fell in love with it instantly. It doesn't dry out my skin at all, plus I can see the lightening of the past spots faster than Retin A. It also makes my skin baby soft. Acne still active esp during PMS and lack of sleeping. Mine is hormones acne, nothing can beat them :( Retin A is expensive, too plus you need prescription. Why waste a lot of money if U can get a better result from Diacneal??? Avene is high quality products from France anyway. I'm not going to repurchase retin A anymore.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2006 5:13:00 PM More reviews by oohsoojuju

i was given this product by my dermotologist and it definately cleared up my face. after i discontinued using it and broke out within a year or two. from then on i tried everything from over the counter products and fade creams. so i recently remembered i had an extra tube of the retin-a so i started to use it again. immediately i saw results. acne of all types/sizes cleared up and scarring/blemishes began to fade. though it's quite dryin, it's nothing a little moisturizer can't fix! i'll never stray away from this product again!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2006 5:44:00 PM More reviews by ebeth114

I've always struggled with my skin and acne. I have taken Accutane before, the last time being about 10 years ago. Recently my face started breaking out horribly. I had 5 huge cysts on my chin, and one on my forehead. My face has been ruddy and red, and looked horrible! I was trying everything to treat myself from aspirin mask to cortisone cream. finally in desperation I went back to the dermatologist. I was given cortisone shots in my cysts which helped some but they were still bright red and I was having smaller breakouts on my chin. The doctor recommended I go back on Accutane. This can be a process. I had went off birth control but recently went back on it and with Accutane you have to wait a month, do blood work, do a pregnancy test, register online.....In the meantime, she gave me samples of Retina A Micro. I didn't touch this stuff for a couple of days because as a teenager was given Retina A and all it did was make my face even brighter red and very dry. Finally I decided what the heck. After using it just after one night I can tell you my face did a complete turnaround. When i looked in the mirror my jaw literally dropped. I couldn't believe it! The cysts were nearly gone, the redness had faded and even some old scars looked less visible. It really was a miracle. I have been using this every other night and my face has only continued to get better! This stuff is amazing!!!!! Now I don't even know if I need to get on Accutane. This stuff is awesome!!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2006 8:26:00 PM More reviews by youngnjaded

I understand what a god-send Retin-a has been to many people but if you are even slightly prone to broken veins/capillaries, this will create as big of a problem as it solves. I used various forms of retin-a several different times, spanning about 15 years and everytime, a new broken vein would pop up which must be removed by a dr. even veins aside, retin-a gave me a weird, reddish skin tone, like I was flushed ALL THE TIME. I know they say it will go away, they say start off slow, but the last time I was using the lowest dose of Micro there is, ever few days, and I still had the red, scaly thing going after 6 months. I think retin-a is great for some but I wish drs would stop making it the first answer to all skin problems without warning you about broken caps.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2006 5:31:00 PM More reviews by spinster

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had been on Retin A .025% twice before and it has never worked for me. This year, determined to do something serious about my skin, I finally went back to my dermatologist (after 4 years) and tried to convince him that Retin A does not work on me. I've had problem skin since I was 13. I'm 32 now. You name it, I've got it - acne-prone skin, enlarged pores, blackheads, hyperpigmentation, oiliness AND dryness. No products work on me. My skin is the opposite of sensitive, it's like impenetrable armor. Sheesh. But, apparently, I'm only classified as having mild acne so, Accutane was not recommended. So the doc prescribes me Retin-A Micro .04% and Minocycline. I was slightly skeptical but I said I'd try it. Holy hell, my skin felt smoother after the first night. It's only been a couple of weeks, but my skin feels like it's really healing. It's slow but, I've had no breakouts even though I'll be getting my period soon. Pores look more refined. I'm peeling gently. But here's the best part: I went for my physical today and told my internist that my dermatologist wanted me to ask her to put me on birth control for my skin. My internist examined my skin and shrugged. She said she didn't think I needed the pill because my skin looks fine, just some residual scarring/hyperpigmentation that the Retin-A should help. That's the first time anyone has ever looked at my skin and said it looked fine. I kept saying, "Really?"
I use a microdermabrasion scrub twice a week in conjunction with this. Retin-A helps your skin exfoliate but it can also cause dead skin build-up for some people (like me).
I'll update this review perhaps in a month or so. But for now, I highly recommend trying RAM!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2006 12:14:00 PM More reviews by ninagirl

This has been a god-send. When I turned 18 I developed painful acne, the kind that lingers for weeks and leaves dark spots. Three months of Retin A 0.05% cleared it up like a charm. It's also kept lines and wrinkles at bay; I've been repeatedly told I look much younger than I really am :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2006 5:13:00 PM More reviews by xxsharonxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am using Retin A Micro. Great prdouct I got from my doctor. It peels the skin a bit the day after, but its the only thing that keeps my acne under control . Sometimes it works in just a few days.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2006 1:52:00 PM More reviews by gothchiq

This stuff is horrible. It ate my face off. Even 6 months after stopping it, I find that my skin texture is coarser and I have twice as many lines and wrinkles. It's the worst thing I've ever used.