December 22, 2014 | 1772 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I finally bought the Mia after reading endless reviews about how awesome it is. Yep, another hype buy that I fell for once again. Thankfully, the Mia isn't a complete bust like so many of the hyped products that I have bought in the past.

When I first bought the Mia, I used it twice a day. I quickly found out that using it that frequently wasn't a great idea as I got a bit of an irritation rash near my eye area and I started breaking out more frequently. My skin isn't sensitive by any means but it is kind of wacky. To wit, I have to wash my face twice a day but it won't tolerate exfoliation/scrubbing/masks/peels more than once a week. Subsequently, I switched to using the Mia once a day (usually at night after I remove my eye makeup).

While the Mia hasn't give me any real problems, I also haven't notice any extraordinary results either. My skin was softer and felt squeaky clean but even when I forgot to use it (or got too lazy), my skin was fine (well, as fine as my skin can be). On the plus side, it is well constructed and a handy little gadget to have. I really like the fact that it has a built in timer that automatically shuts it off because I do sometimes worry about over scrubbing my face with it. I also like the fact that it can be used in the shower as the entire thing is waterproof. However, I don't think it's an HG product by any means. It's good, but I don't think I'll ever sing its praises from the rooftop any time soon.

I also doubt I'll ever repurchase it. The price is pretty steep (I paid about $90 for mine on sale and with a discount code for free shipping) and then there's the price of replacement brush heads. It's a decent automatic brush that isn't terribly harsh and scratchy like some I've tried (I'm looking at you Dove facial brush), but I simply can't use this everyday. As such, it's a waste for me. Instead of chucking it in the trash, I gave this to my mom. She loves it and uses it daily so I don't completely regret purchasing it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by matildachung

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I do really love my mia, I wouldn't say its a must-have. For the first 3 months since my purchase, I used it every single day. Then I went away for a week and forgot to take it with me and realized that my skin hadn't been affected at all.

But here's the thing, when I was using it consistently, I had great results. My skin felt and looked cleaner, my skin care products seemed to be working better, etc.

The trick with the MIA I think is not to over-use it. I noticed that taking a break from it sometimes made my skin even better - I now I use it daily for a week and let my skin rest for a week.

While it is the best of its kind on the market, I do feel that a good scrub (my fav is the green tea one from St Ives) can have the same effect. So if you don't want to shell out the cash, I would suggest looking into a good exfoliator.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Johelian

Following a sudden acne attack at the age of 30 - and subsequently a massive knock on my self-esteem - I was desperate to try anything that would help with obliterate the huge, painful and rapidly-multiplying pustules on my face. This was the point that I decided to finally succumb to the Clarisonic Mia. I feel obliged at this point to say that many recommend against using anything too aggressive on acned skin as it can increase the likelihood of scarring and/or aggravating your condition; for me, individual pustules were lasting literally for over a week and eventually becoming so inflamed that they would rupture and scar really easily anyway, so I figured I didn't have much to lose.

I had waited for ages for a promotion to get a discount on the Mia, but unfortunately in the UK there are very few stockists to chose from so I ended up paying the full whack (120). The standard Mia pack I chose came with a sensitive brush head and a UK charger, which is magnetic so it kind of snaps onto the unit. The unit is quite ergonomic in design, and I don't suffer any aggravation from the vibrations. The pack comes with a foaming cleanser, but I am a big fan of my Kiehls Ultra Facial (even though this doesn't foam too much) so I have only used my own product with the Mia. You can use your usual cleanser with this - just bear in mind that foaming cleansers appear to work better, as they work up a great lather. The instructions suggest using twice a day; 10 seconds on each cheek, 20 seconds on the forehead and 20 seconds on the nose and chin, using light circular motions. The Mia will automatically turn off after 60 seconds, and will vibrate and flash if it needs charging (I have charged mine twice in a month). The motion is a kind of pulsing rather than rotating; I was expecting something like my electric toothbrush, and was worried about the abrasiveness of the brush, so this was a pleasant surprise. All the same I personally use mine once a day as my skin is pretty sensitive and it gets a bit too red if I use twice a day. My routine basically looks like this; remove makeup with facial wipe; wet skin; wet Mia; add Kiehl's Ultra Facial to brush and rub a little to start a lather (it doesn't foam easily); work to schedule above; rinse skin and Mia; MOISTURISE! Brush heads should be replaced every 3 months. The unit is completely enclosed so can be used in the shower without risk of water seeping in.

There were several issues that I had with my skin at the start of my Mia experience (approx. 1 month ago); oily t-zone; fine lines; dry patches around cheeks and jaw; redness over centre of face/cheeks; blackheads on nose and chin; acne/breakout zones under cheekbones; acne scarring; large pores; general uneven texture. I'll break down my personal experience below in each area.

1) Oily T-Zone. This is one area of massive improvement. My forehead and nose used to be extremely oily; I would now consider them to be "normal". Admittedly part of this may be as a result of the current season; however I have never had a t-zone that has been anything BUT oily, even in winter, before. I noticed an improvement within a week.
2) Fine Lines. I have some fine lines appearing on my forehead and near my nose; I noticed some improvement in this area within a month. My forehead lines are a little deeper and still just about visible, but (touch wood) my naso-labial lines have pretty much gone. I didn't think the Mia would have much impact here, but I definitely see an improvement in the texture of the skin in this area.
3) Dry Patches. Absolutely gone. I think the combination of improving skin texture and allowing product to absorb more easily means that my skin is retaining more of my moisturiser.
4) Redness. Greatly reduced. Considering this was one of my biggest problems, I am really happy about this. It takes less make up to hide my uneven skin tone. I do notice that the skin is a little red after use (I only use this at night) but in the morning my skin looks great.
5) Blackheads. Small improvement, but I still have quite a few. I have had these as long as I can remember, so was not expecting a miracle, but was a bit disappointed here. As another member mentioned I think the shape of the brush makes it tricky to really get at the sides of the nose.
6) Acne breakout. Touch wood - no breakout since use. I had a short period of purging for a couple of days, but nothing since. I did use PanOxyl 2.5% to initially help clear the breakout, but I have not used it since the spots started to shrink, and have had no new breakouts. Wonderful!
7) Acne scarring. No visible change to existing scars.
8) Large pores. Very slight reduction, barely noticeable.
9) Uneven texture. This is one area I was massively impressed with. I had quite bumpy skin on my forehead from my teen years (this was where all my zits congregated) that has never improved. After literally first use I noticed a big improvement in the texture of my forehead. It was ridiculously smooth. Now, after a month, all the rest of my face feels the same way; it literally feels like flawless marble when I rinse off the cleanser (I wish it looked the same way - damn you, scars!). I would not have believed that this could have happened after day one.

In conclusion, I am really happy with my purchase and highly recommend the Mia if you can afford the splurge (for me, the fact that I'm now using less toner and fewer products overall means that this will eventually work out more cost effective anyway!). I am impressed overall with the changes to the texture and appearance of my skin, and, once my scars finally fade, I make even start to go makeupless! I have removed one point for the fact that, although this is now the star of my cleansing routine, it has not completely resolved all of my skin issues. Is there a product that will ever do that? I don't know - but for now, Mia brings me one step closer.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 2:43:00 PM More reviews by nmhidi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE! The Mia 2 has seriously changed my skin for the better. I got this as a gift from my SO for Christmas, best gift ever. I have very sensitive skin, I suffer from pretty bad eczema, I have combination skin and I am prone to dry patches because of the combination of acne medication and eczema medication I use. For years, I have had minor break outs the week before my period. I have been using the MIA 2 for almost 3 months now and I have not has a SINGLE breakout. I am amazed. The texture of my skin is amazing, I have no more dry patches. My medicines and moisturizers seem to soak in to the skin better, which I assume is making them more effective.

The battery life of the MIA 2 is amazing, I use it every morning when I shower and only have to charge it once per month. The charging unit is magnetic, which is convenient. However, one time when I was charging it, the charger was on slightly crooked, but the light was flashing and after about 18 hours the light went steady, so I assumed it was charged. When I used it, it was still dead. I was nervous, but I charged it again, with the charger laying perfectly straight on the unit and that fixed the problem.

My SO ordered the MIA 2 from QVC. It was a great value, it came with the charger, 2 brush heads, travel case, and bottle of Purity Made Simple facial cleanser by Philosophy.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the MIA 2!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My Mia & I have a long history tough history, but I love her! LOL. I first bought my Mia in 2010. The first week I started using it I broke out but being that I heard hat happens at first, I continued use. My skin cleared up after continuing use & it was literally the clearest I've ever been(I have horrible cystic acne). I would use it once in the morning & for 2 minutes at night. For some reason I fell off using it for a while & I could deff. notice the difference. My skin was no longer smooth nor clear. It was back to being rough, pimpley & just plain horrible. I started to use it again but the breakouts did not stop this time. This time they just kept getting worse, so I once again stopped using it. At that time I was using it morning & night like the first time. I recently picked it back up again & I did break out at first badly from using it morning & night, so I now only use it at night for 1 minute, not 2. It is now clearing my skin up very lovely. I will not stop using it this time, EVER. Since I have such bad acne & I am afraid of it coming back & of spreading it around my face, this is what I do. I change the brush head every month or month & a half(as opposed to every 3 months that Clarisonic recommends, I get them cheap off Ebay). I wash the brush head every 2 days & after each use I put alcohol on the brush head. I also switched from the sensitive brush to the delicate. This has worked rather well for me :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by astric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

been using Mia for 1 month and my date last night said "you have really nice skin" .... first compliment ive ever gotten about my skin :)

i have combination skin and get breakouts a few times a month. the clarisonic has made my pores almost invisible, i absolutely love it. it makes my skin feel very smooth.

my face just doesn't feel clean without it, i would definitely repurchase in a heartbeat.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by crossett

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I HAD to try this... pretty expensive for a fancy face scrubber, but now I have one I can remember - how did I get my skin really clean BEFORE I had this? Was my skin never really clean? I've washed my skin before using the clarisonic, but then wanted to feel the scrubbing exfoliated feeling and when brush suds up I see there is still makeup on my face. This tool REALLY cleans your face. I won't be without it ever again... the only think I would say is be careful around your delicate eye area.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2012 7:02:00 AM More reviews by VB10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have had the mia for 10 days now and I think I like it, I would prefer to love it!
I am disappointed with the execution (perhaps it is designed by a man); First the magnetic charger is a cute and novel, however it has a standard plug which means it must be charged outside the bathroom, if a toothbrush and razor can be charged in the bathroom then surely this can and should be. Also, the indicator light that tells you when charging and when charged is underneath the product and you cant see it - why? I am also surprised that there is no battery indicator as you find on a toothbrush or mobile phone so you know when you need to charge it. Why have a product that simply stops when it is out of battery, particularly one that you can't just top up where you use it. I was certainly expecting electric toothbrush technology as standard in this product.
So the advice is to use it for 20seconds on each aread of your face, yet the only indicator you get is after a minute and the mia turns itself off, again, my toothbrush does rounds of 30seconds and keeps going. Far more helpful.
In terms of the time, 1minute doesnot clean my face, at this point the bristles are still gathering makeup, it takes more like 2mins for the bristles to appear clean and that is with regular rinsing.
The mia certainly feels more gentle than I expected, my skin does feel very clean after but only surface level. It hasnt aggrivated or irrated at all either. I was hoping for a deep clean feel and that the sonic vibrations were penetrating deeper and delivering more benefit. Emma Hardie's massage technique has far greater results.
When I bought the Mia I thought it was a fair price, now I am using it I think it is way over priced for what it delivers in results and the way it is presented.
So this is great for surface level super clean skin, it is a very expensive way of achieving it though. A rather dissapointingly superficial result.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I did not experience purging at all, in the first few days my skin was very beautiful and felt stronger which I did not expect because I am prone to sensitive red and dry skin. The brushes seemed gentle enough.
Unfortunately a change of location (I bought the mia on a trip to NY in December 2011) back at my own place in the Netherlands the cold and the poor water quality wreaked havoc on my skin so that i stopped using the mia for a while, and used it a lot less frequently (before I used it once a day and I really eased in to using it).

Now my skin has stabilized again (so less redness and now itchy bumps) due to warmer temperatures, I use it more often, I really love how it cleanses my skin.

I find it nicely opens up your pores for some extractions. I do not find that it completely got rid of my chin blackheads, ever after using it every day (note: I used both the sensitive and the normal brush head). The pores on my cheeks have gotten tiny through its use but I can easily see how it would aggrevate rosacea. I try to use it less often because I see reddish veins on my cheeks (but only under very harsh light).

Another thing I'd like to add is that the brush head seems much harder to me than in the beginning, but I found that rinsing it with very hot, almost boiling water before its use (do let it cool down a bit before use) remedies that. Again, this might be due to the poor water quality here.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but only if you can afford it without too much financial strain, it is not a miracle product, and depending on your skin type and extraneous factors it will work differently. People in the states have the luxury of being able to return this within 30 days, so if you are curious, go try it out. People in Europe do not have this luxury unfortunately, so I recommend to do your research (by skin type) and maybe you can get it from the states where it is so much cheaper than over here.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I debated on this for so long, and finally gave in because I had a Nordstrom gift card. Even then, this was ridiculously expensive, so I personally held it to a high standard -- one which it unfortunately did not meet. (For reference, I have very oily, very acne-prone skin that is not sensitive.)

The first time I used it, I was underwhelmed. Still, determined to give it a fair shot, I used it every night (nighttime only; not in the morning), following the instructions to the letter. At first, I didn't notice any difference in my skin at all. It didn't feel any cleaner, and my toner + cotton pad after didn't indicate any increased level of cleanliness. It didn't feel smoother or softer, my products didn't absorb any better, and there was certainly no miraculous "glow" that I've heard talk about.

I noticed that with continued use, my skin didn't seem to be improving, but rather getting worse. My clogged pores seemed to be getting more inflamed and I was breaking out in places I hadn't broken out in before. I kept on keeping on... but after 2 full weeks it was clear that my skin was not liking this. My skin was redder than usual. My old acne marks looked darker. Even with avoiding the active breakouts on my face, I continued to experience new breakouts all over. My skintone did not improve, nor did the texture or feel of my skin. My skin seemed more oily than usual, and it just looked dull and zitty.

Other negatives I experienced: the bristles took forever to dry (even after blotting with a towel and laying the brush out face-down in a humidity-free room) and the brush was clunky and couldn't reach every area of my face due to its size (e.g. around my nose). I didn't even really like the feeling of it on my face. The bristles didn't necessarily feel harsh, but they didn't feel particularly soft or gentle, either. And to be honest, the buzzing/vibrating feeling was stronger than I expected; it was kind of annoying on my face.

I ended up returning it to Nordstrom. My skin's condition was bad enough that I couldn't justify giving it more time to work its supposed "magic." Far be it from me to question other people's results, but for me, this was just an overhyped and incredibly expensive flop. After a few weeks of not using it, my skin went back to its previous state, confirming my suspicions that this thing was no good for me.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No