November 28, 2014 | 1727 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I debated on this for so long, and finally gave in because I had a Nordstrom gift card. Even then, this was ridiculously expensive, so I personally held it to a high standard -- one which it unfortunately did not meet. (For reference, I have very oily, very acne-prone skin that is not sensitive.)

The first time I used it, I was underwhelmed. Still, determined to give it a fair shot, I used it every night (nighttime only; not in the morning), following the instructions to the letter. At first, I didn't notice any difference in my skin at all. It didn't feel any cleaner, and my toner + cotton pad after didn't indicate any increased level of cleanliness. It didn't feel smoother or softer, my products didn't absorb any better, and there was certainly no miraculous "glow" that I've heard talk about.

I noticed that with continued use, my skin didn't seem to be improving, but rather getting worse. My clogged pores seemed to be getting more inflamed and I was breaking out in places I hadn't broken out in before. I kept on keeping on... but after 2 full weeks it was clear that my skin was not liking this. My skin was redder than usual. My old acne marks looked darker. Even with avoiding the active breakouts on my face, I continued to experience new breakouts all over. My skintone did not improve, nor did the texture or feel of my skin. My skin seemed more oily than usual, and it just looked dull and zitty.

Other negatives I experienced: the bristles took forever to dry (even after blotting with a towel and laying the brush out face-down in a humidity-free room) and the brush was clunky and couldn't reach every area of my face due to its size (e.g. around my nose). I didn't even really like the feeling of it on my face. The bristles didn't necessarily feel harsh, but they didn't feel particularly soft or gentle, either. And to be honest, the buzzing/vibrating feeling was stronger than I expected; it was kind of annoying on my face.

I ended up returning it to Nordstrom. My skin's condition was bad enough that I couldn't justify giving it more time to work its supposed "magic." Far be it from me to question other people's results, but for me, this was just an overhyped and incredibly expensive flop. After a few weeks of not using it, my skin went back to its previous state, confirming my suspicions that this thing was no good for me.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by DizzyNicky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law. At first I wasnít using it right and it irritated my skin and broke me out horribly. Then I just happen to see a review on YouTube by ginabinawina99 and she made me realize that I needed to cut back on the length of time I was using it. Itís programmed to run for a minute and then shut off. Now I use it for about 30 seconds in the shower everyday on my face and lips, then I use it on my knees and elbows for the rest of the time. It leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth and removes makeup build up. The charge lasts quite awhile and its compact enough to keep in the shower. Great product, would definitely recommend to my friends and family.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by everdream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can describe this product with one word - Nice. My skin texture did feel smoother after using it. However, it's just way to high maintenance and pricey for my taste.. It's not a magic product it didn't make fine lines disappear or acne scars vanish and I rather buy high-end scrubs and peels (my favorite is the Philosophy microdelivery peel!) that in the long run cost less and provide much better results.

The Clarisonic Mia may be a HG for some, but I believe a big part of the adoring reviews are because of all the hype built around this product... When you buy a 120$+ product you feel kind of bad dissing it, right? :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by ilymed2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great for gently clearing my skin of the occasional flakes caused by retin-a. I resisted getting because I assumed it'd be too much for my dry skin. Now it has become a part of my morning skin prep routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by PussPuss1

I was on the fence about buying this for ages, partly because I have some mild rosacea and broken caps, but I finally cracked and got one a couple of months ago. I've recently started using Tretinoin too, so it's hard to say whether it's one or the other causing the improvement, but my skin is clearer than it's been for years.

I went to see my derm the other day, and she commented that my skin was looking great! I think it's partly that I'm less inclined to pick at my skin when I'm spending a fortune to improve it, but hey, whatever it takes...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/29/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by cassandrabecky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh how I wanted to love the Mia!!! I received this as a gift for Christmas, so luckily did not spend the money on it except for replacement brush heads I purchased. I gave this a good 2 month run to see if it would work for me I was super gung-ho and used it every morning and night as soon as I received it. Broke me out, figured it was that initial purging I read about online, so excused it as such. My skin did not clear up, and these break out were different from my regular hormonal break outs. So I backed off a little and started using it once a day... in the evening. My skin improved a little bit but I found it was still worse off then before I used the Mia. Backed off again to once every couple days.... again my skin approved.... hmmm seems to improve the less I use the brush?? I just recently stopped using all together and my skin is great again :( I get a better and gentler exfoliation using my Dermalogica Daily Microexfolient then I do with the Mia.

All in all, I have stopped using it. It did nothing for me but irritate my skin, cause flakiness and break outs where I didn't have them before and cause two months of messing around with my skin care regime. I also tried two different brush heads, and several different cleansers including the clarisonic cleanser, Caudalie Foam, Clinique and Purity Made Simple. I am disappointed because I had such high hopes! I may keep it around and use once in a while, as a special treatment to my skin, but doubt it will make any difference, it will really only be to justify the cost of it. I have finally regained balance to my skin without the use of it. And I almost feel silly for believing the hype.

While I believe it is an amazing tool, people do need to keep in mind that it is not for everybody. I have rather sensitive, combination skin. However, my skin gets inflamed very easily , so perhaps this had something to do with it.I will be sticking to what I know works for me from now on!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by Michaelangelo22

Should be a staple in anyones regimen. With this tool your skincare will penetrate deeper, your skin will be overall clearer, the texture will be smoother, and black heads will be GREATLY diminished. What else do you need to hear? GO GET ONE!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by softcloth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So far so good. The pLink charger is clumsy and weird but other than that I am happy. The price is really high though. I bought mine at Macy's and with tax is was $127. A lot to spend to clean your face.
After about 2 months, I do see a difference in the texture of my skin. It is not a miracle product but I enjoy it very much and now my skin doesn't feel clean without it. I use it twice per day. I'm dreading paying the $30+ dollars for the replacement brush head though.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have had this for three months now, and while I haven't experienced the miraculous improvement that others have, I can tell that my skin is improving slowly and steadily. It is not a cheap device, but for what it does, I can with hindsight say that it is actually reasonably priced. I made myself a deal--no facials for one year, but a Clarisonic and whatever skincare products I set my heart on, and so far I think the Clarisonic is winning! I definitely feel like my skin has improved more in the last few months than with any facials I've ever had. Just a note about moisturizers: it is true that they absorb much better after using the Clarisonic, but in my experience you end up using MORE because of that! But it's all good, because at least you know it's reaching into your skin ...

And if the part about changing brush heads every three months is making you think twice, I would say that it's a good thing--for all kinds of reasons you WANT to change these things regularly. I've been cleaning my brushhead semi-conscientiously, but it has still picked up stains from my turmeric face masks and also smells funny. Can't wait for the three-month mark to come round so I can put on a new one!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by bohm84

I absolutely love my Mia!