BeneFit Cosmetics HOOLA

4.1

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I had this originally in a palette and really enjoyed using it, so when I ran out, I bought the full size one, although from eBay so not as expensive. I have marked it as a 5 for price as I am basing it on retail prices and I think Benefit is overpriced.

I really like the colour. It is just right for me as a bronzer, not too orange, not too muddy and no shimmer. If I tanned in any way, I could use it all over, but as I don't, I either use it as a blusher (which gives a lovely natural wash of colour) or as a contour powder.

As with most Benefit blushers, I don't think it is massively pigmented, which for me is a plus. I find it easier to gradually add colour until I have it how I like - otherwise I am a bit heavy-handed and find I end up with stripy cheeks which is not a good look!

I like the packaging. I think the boxes and names are really cute! If you often travel, I guess the little box could get bashed up a bit, but I don't so it just sits on my vanity looking pretty. I like the brush too - it is a little scratchy, but the loose weave of it means for contouring I get the colour exactly where I want it, and not too much of it either.

I would buy this again.

(PS - a good dupe of this colour is Bourjois bronzer in the light colour)

on 4/18/2012 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

When I bought this, I was really tan and it looked great. Very natural and it looked like I had just been on vacation. Fast forwar to today..I don't tan anymore and I'm around NW15. Hoola looks like I have mud or dirt of on my face no matter how much I blend. I use NARS Laguna now and it looks so much realistic on my fair skin. I keep hoola around for contouring because it does work well for that.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh my god, can I just say that I am in LOVE with this product! I am a NC15 (moreso NC17 if that existed) and I feel this works really well for me. I only use it lightly to contour my face, and it gives a warm - NOT ORANGEY - glow. It definitely looks natural and I love the fact that it is matte. I use the brush that comes with the bronzer to initially outline my cheekbones, then I blend with Models Own contour brush, and for me I feel that technique works best. I'd definitely recommend, though I am a warm skin type, so just putting that out there.

on 4/12/2012 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I like but don't love this product. I tend to not add enough and it hardly shows up and well... it gets the job done, but there's nothing really outstanding about it to me. It makes my skin feel a little bit oily... It's definitely a good product, just not worth a five.

on 4/11/2012 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I HATE the color of this supposed bronzing powder. It is so ashen it looks dirty on the skin, Period! I LOVE the brush as it's very linear and makes for a wonderful contour brush under the cheekbone or down the sides of nose and at trmples. I use the brush for contour, but w/a different color as this "Hoola" shade even looks too grey/dirty for even contouring. Skip this altogether.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love Benefit Hoola! I am super pale (probably if I used Mac I'd be NC 10) and Hoola is HG for me. It's not orange!! It's a matte light brown. That's it. Nothing groundbreaking, not setting the world on fire with glitter, doesn't really make you look "tan". It just kind of wakes up my face and takes away my usual grey pallor :-)

Of course,, like anything, if you apply too much it will turn orange and look bad. I don't use the brush it comes with... that little thing seems useless to me...- I use a tapered synthetic instead and it works great.

At first I wasn't really thrilled with the packaging. ($28 for a cardboard box) but at least it's more biodegradable and better for the earth.

on 4/9/2012 2:42:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I hate to rain on the Hoola parade here, but I've owned this product at two different times in my life and have walked away from it both times with the same impression. By no means is this a terrible bronzer/contour I've tried dozens of products that are far worse and immediately got put in the trash. In fact, the last time I bought this bronzer (which was right before this last summer), I started out really enjoying it.
While the packaging isn't the greatest, it does hold TONS of product, that will honestly last you forever. Because of that, the price point is definitely reasonable to me.
Now onto the stuff I'm not so thrilled with- the color while not too orange, pink, etc still is too red-brown for what I need. Because I'm a red prone individual, this bronzer simply does not suit me. A reviewer below me mentioned that their mom said it looked like they had dirt on their face, and I laughed because I remember looking at myself in a mirror numerous times after applying this ever so lightly and thinking it looked like dirt or light cocoa powder. The staying powder is pretty good, but the product itself does not blend well enough and is not versatile enough for me.
I ended up combining a bunch of my powders to create my own shade of loose powder with a sifter that far suits me better than anything I've purchased.
If you're not red prone this would probably be a great product for you.

on 4/9/2012 2:25:00 PM

I used this bronzer for a while, until one day my mother asked me why my cheeks looked dirty. Perhaps if I used another makeup brush instead of the one it came with it would've looked different. It's also packed with parabens, which is a negative for me. The packaging is very cute though.

on 4/9/2012 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

ah, my HG bronzer/contourer.

its the perfect colour, MATTE, and really adds defintion to my face. will repurchase again and again! although packaging is really ugly haha

I abosouluty LOVE THIS PRODUCT. I am kinda sad though becuase just before i saw this I'd bought a new MAC bronzer. So i got the sample size instead...But it still lasts forever. (if your not sure about this yet...get the TAN ABOUT TOWN kit. It has this plus 2 others samples for only 12 bucks!) I have light-medium skin and its the perfect shade for me! It is 100% matte and blends really well. Even though i have my mac bronzer..i want this too. Once i run out of the sample size, im going to purchase the full size. Packaging is Super adorable too!

Popular Bronzers