April 19, 2014 | 1750 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2011 3:55:00 PM More reviews by chuchu33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this based on the reviews here and other places...I went to the Whole Foods store and bought a jar of virgin organic unrefined coconut oil....I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts on my chin area and I am 37, getting older so I am worried about wrinkles and uneven skin tone so I thought why the heck not, it's all natural and got great reveiws. Well I first tried it on my hair...it was ok, I was not blown away with the conditioning, but I still decided to use it as a nighttime moisturizer at first it was great, my skin felt so much smoother and looked more even but about 2 weeks into it I started to breakout, on my chin, my problem area. I thought hmmmm this must be the purging process...then I started to breakout on my forehead too and then on my cheeks, I never breakout on my cheeks. Anyway I wanted this to work so bad for me, casue it's all natural and cheap...well I kept using it with the breakouts for another 4 weeks, hoping after the "purging" I would have glowing beautiful skin. I finally gave up on it, my skin never cleared up until I stopped using it. I do not recommend it for skin that is acne-prone. So now I am on the hunt, yet again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2011 3:34:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i use the spectrum (sp?) organic version of this that you'd find in the baking area or the grocery.

and i basically just slather myself with it, honestly.

i use a tiny bit in my hair if its feeloing dry on the ends (in wet or dry hair). But what i REALLY love it for is for after i shave. my legs used toget really dry and itchy and i'd get bumps there and on my bikini line after shaving, but not anymore! i have tried all kind of lotions, jergens, palmers, etc, and nothing helped. this does WONDERS!

and then while i'm at it on my legs i usually just put it everywhere else too, since its such a good moisturizer.

it takes a little bit to sink in, but what doesnt?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by jenluvsmav

I have totally changed my facial products. My skin is acne prone but is normally ok except that I am pregnant so my skin has been breaking out. Also my skin in very dry, espcially on my cheeks and very red. I began to wonder if the Sodium Laruate Sulfate in the wash I was using was the cause. Anyway, I wanted to go totally natural. So as a mask that I will be putting on for two week, tonight will be day 5, is 3 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Wash my face with Honey (organic, raw, unpasterized honey only). Tone with Witch Hazel. Moisturize with organic, unrefined Coconut Oil....I put a few drop of Lavendar oil in with about a 1/4 of oil....Lavender is good for troubled skin.
The Coconut oil has NOT caused any blimishes and my face is prone to break out. SO I recommend making sure when using on face to make sure it is organic, and unrefined. Also the price is great....around $10 for a jar that will last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by solai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Got sweaty feet? Hate the smell? Virgin coconut oil is your new best friend! I can't use this stuff on my face because it breaks me out but it's a must in hand and foot care. It takes care of smelly feet, prevents athletes foot and keeps my feet happy and healthy all year round. It also makes a great cuticle oil but for some reason works best when I use it under a moisturiser. One small jar goes a long way as long as you keep the opened jar in the fridge and depot a smaller amount to keep in your bathroom/wherever. A staple product for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2011 6:38:00 PM More reviews by sangsookpak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My skin type: oily, sensitive, acne-prone. I used the Nutiva brand organic extra-virgin coconut oil. I used it morning and evening as a moisturizer on my face and neck for several weeks. For the first few days, my skin looked and felt great; smooth and clear. Then I broke out in huge red pimples and dry, irritated red patches all over my face and neck. I don't believe in purging, but I really wanted this to work because of all the anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties I'd heard that coconut oil has. I kept using it for the next month, and it just kept getting worse. So I stopped, and now I'm using Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions cleanser and toner to help clear up my skin, and that's been working for the last week.

I gave it a 2 rating because I'm now using coconut oil on my feet and on a patch of eczema I have on my leg, and it seems to be working fine on those areas.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Piggie8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Average, but if you have acne-prone skin like me, DON'T BUY IT! You guys, it makes me break out, even on my hands!!! If I buy coconut lotion with coconut oil in it, I get zits on my hands, WHAT THE HECK?!! My mother is also acne prone and it makes her break out too. Fine whatever if you like it, but this is my skin's worse nightmare.

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by RhianNoot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Coconut Oil is an amazing product at an excellent price. I use a small amount this oil every other morning as a scalp/hair treatment about an hour to 2 hours before I wash my hair - I wake up hours before work so have plenty of time to do this - shampooing twice cleans the excess oil off my hair and I no longer need to use a conditioner on my fine curly hair, which has been nice as I didn't realize just how much conditioners had been weighing down my hair. I also use it every other day as a body moisturiser, it can take a while to absorb into my skin but leaves my skin the softest it has ever felt.
Despite cleansing and moisturizing my face with oils for a couple of years now I am hesitant to do so with coconut oil, however I am almost at the end of my first tub and will purchase a better grade of the oil for this purpose (I chose a fairly cheap version for my body and hair to see how it would perform before over-spending on yet another product that sits in the bathroom doing nothing, I have been using Superdrug's own brand Coconut Oil at 1.99, the organic virgin coconut oils are closer to 15.).
I hadn't even considered cooking with it until reading other reviews here and after looking into some of the health benefits I shall definitely be trying that too.
Coconut Oil is a definite repurchase for me, anything to reduce the amount of crap on my bathroom shelves and this little tub of wonder has certainly earned the right to remain in my hair/body regimen - simple and effective, just what I like!

NOTE
Not a 5 lippie review yet as I haven't tried it on my face but will update once I finish my current oil cleanser and purchase a better coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by reginita2008

100% organic cold-pressed Coconut Oil.
Just amazing...
I'm 45 so I have tried hundreds of different products, cheap and expensive, but I have to say this was really one big surprise to me.
There is just nothing better for moisturizing dry skin.
Solid when cold, it melts soflty in your hands, just a very small amount (half a teaspoon) is enough for one complete leg.
Smells fantastic (good quality oil should just send a hint of coconut aroma), feels even better on the skin.
As hair treatment there is just nothing better, use a little (dime-size), rub it before styling or use it for shine on curly hair.
I recommend it 100%.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by dstuyvesant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using coconut oil mixed with my shampoo every day for the past 6 months and it's the best thing I've done for it. My hair is naturally very curly and dyed since I went gray early. Curly hair is thirsty hair and my hair drinks this right up. This is the healthiest my hair has been in over 15 yrs.
I will keep buying.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2011 9:23:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I wish I had read the negative reviews on this page before tried using coconut oil as a beauty product. I've eaten it, it's great for that, but as a beauty product I found that the pros and cons of using it were both so extreme that they cancelled each other out!

Pros: if I melt a tiny scoop of the oil -- about the size of an M&M -- in my palms and run it over my hair as a pre-wash hair protectant, it keeps my hair hydrated, helps it grow longer, and makes it thicker. I have fine hair, so thicker hair from an oil is a bonus. I also get extremely shiney hair from using this oil and I have had comments about how beautiful my hair has been looking lately. Coconut oil works great as a shine treatment on dry hair too. I really liked using it as a shine treatment because most commercial shine treatments contain cyclopentaxiloxane, which I am allergic to. I have also tried using it to make my eyelashes longer the same way that people use castor oil for eyelash growth, it really works.

The cons: it reacts VERY badly with my skin. If I get some of this on my face or even on my scalp, I get breakouts. Also contact with coconut oil made the skin on my face rougher. I have never had rough facial skin before! I think this oil clogs pores. I don't find the oil to be particularly moisturizing on my legs either.

If your skin is compatible with coconut oil, you're very lucky and I'm jealous. Guess I'll be trying some other oil to put in my hair and using the remainding coconut oil to fry food.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No