January 29, 2015 | 955 users online

Cleansers - Aveeno - Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2005 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Glitzee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I rarely use this term, but this is my HG cleanser. I have sensitive/combination skin that gets really dry in the colder months, and I have never been able to find a cleanser that would: 1) remove all my makeup, including eye makeup, without stinging 2) not leave an oily or bothersome film on my skin 3) not dry/irritate my skin 4) not cost an arm and a leg 5) be readily available. Mostly I've used foaming cleansers that are on the drying side (like Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser), just so I can get the StudioFix and sunscreen off. Cetaphil is more gentle, but it doesn't really take off makeup and I'm too lazy to use a bunch of different cleansers every day.

I was leery of the foaming quality of the cleanser-- seems like it would be a cheap trick. But it actually did everything it was supposed to, and rinsed clean too. I'm using Differin and a topical antibiotic on the advice of my derm, and I haven't had a reaction yet. Two thumbs up for this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2005 10:39:00 AM More reviews by LittleHouse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this several weeks now. I really like it. Is it HG material? No. But it's a nice non irritating cleanser that is slightly helping with my redness from Rosacea. It can be slightly drying. But it's fine for now. I plan on trying Eucerin's Redness cleanser next. I would rec. this cleanser though for anyone with sensitive reactive skin that is normal/combo or oily. HTH!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2005 8:02:00 AM More reviews by LaurieAnne

I don't generally use foaming cleansers, I don't ever hardly like Aveeno or drugstore stuff in general, but this is my current favorite cleanser. Its very gentle, but very thorough, cleans all the oil,makeup, etc. It really does calm - the rest of their calming line stupidly has fragrance and alcohol.. this has extra good ingredients too like their soy stuff etc, besides their feverfew. I was hesitant to try the feverfew stuff, I thought it was a gimmick. Then I read it has more antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties than any of 2000 other products tested in clinical trials and really reduces redness in a week. This is a very nice non-medicated gentle cleanser that does really calm. I wish they would reformulate the rest of their ultra-calming line so I could have a moisturizer in it with their feverfew. And it does seem odd, its one of those opposites things.. I am actually allergic to feverfew -its related to ragweed. I take allergy shots even. But, seriously, its in the medical journals, when a special purified extract of it is used, at least on the skin, I don't know about injesting it, so don't try that, it calms down allergic reactions more than anything else that's been tried. Weird, and I wish Aveeno had more info on this special ingredient of theirs (don't just use any feverfew, it has to be purified like in Aveeno stuff) but it works on my skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/22/2005 5:03:00 PM More reviews by dockat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this one but was dissappointed. It is a good basic cleanser, and it was able to get the makeup off. (It didn't remove makeup as well as Cetaphil.) I found it drying to my already dry skin and didn't see tremendous improvement in the the red splotches. I'll finish it but won't repurchase

rated 1 of 5 on 11/22/2005 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Jann7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This dried out my skin terribly especially under the eye area.I didn't find it calming or gentle.It's harsh on the skin.The next morning my skin looked absolutely prunelike-and this was even with using a night cream and serum.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2005 10:33:00 AM More reviews by AMYLAS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I SAW THE REVIEWS HERE FOR THIS CLEANSER AND I DEFINETLY WANTED TO TRY IT BECAUSE I HAVE ROSACEA. I WAS SERIOUSLY DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE IT DID NOT REMOVE MAKE UP AT ALL AND IT DID NOT REDUCE REDNESS IN ANY WAY. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS NOT VERY PRICEY I STILL HATE WASTING MONEY. I THINK IT MAY BE OK IF YOU ARE NOT A COSMETIC WEARER AND YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO CLEANSE OFF OF YOUR FACE. A BETTER PRODUCT EUCERIN ANTI-REDNESS CLEANSER OR EVEN CETAPHIL MOISURIZING BAR. ALSO TRY LINDA SY ZINCO.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2005 9:52:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

This is a basic, gentle foaming cleanser. I tried this because it's getting harder and harder for me to find my staple facewash (Alpha Hydrox) around here. The packaging is nice, but I'm not a big fan of these hard plastic bottles as they make it a little difficult to get at the last dregs of product. Do not like the faint, odd scent either (I really can't describe it, but it's definitely there). The foam is luxuriously soft and cushy and my face feels clean afterwards, but not stripped (I have combination skin). But this is not a good makeup remover. I've been using this both morning and evening and will have to reserve for mornings only from now on. I've been using this for a few weeks now and I noticed the other night that I have a fair amount of clogged pores on/around my nose. This is far too gentle to use as a makeup-remover (despite Aveeno's claims), despite the copious amounts I use in combo. with a gentle scrub. Overall, an okay product but nothing Wow! Might repurchase if I can't find something better, though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2005 7:10:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think this is a good morning cleanser, but this is NOT strong enough to remove make-up at the end of the day. (At least for me it isn't.) I found after using this for over a month, that I was getting clogged pores, and I could see small lumps and bumps under my skin when I looked in the mirror. My skin didn't turn red, and I didn't get full-blown acne, I just started having small blackheads and that sort of problem. (Hey, I'm 43 years old!) I switched to a creamier cleanser (Prescriptives & Lauder) at night, and my skin has definitely improved.

Just for the record, I don't apply my make-up with a spackle, nor apply it so thick that I look like a corpse. As a test to see how good this cleanser was at removing thin layers of foundation and/or concealer... I applied some on the back of my hand and rubbed it in. Then I used this Aveeno cleanser, rubbed it in, then rinsed. There was still ALOT of foundation left on the back of my hand! This was all the proof I needed that Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser is just "too calm" to handle a serious job like make-up removal before bedtime; hence, the clogged pores. All things being considered, I will finish using this as a morning cleanser, but I probably won't be buying it again. I don't want to have 10 different cleansers cluttering my pedestal sink. I think Dove foaming cleanser did the job much better, and for less. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2005 6:26:00 PM More reviews by sarah6ee88

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Best facewash I've ever used. It's extremely gentle and washes off face makeup but i still use my Nuetrogena fresh foaming cleanser to remove mascara just so i get it all off. Nice n foamy n has a calming slightly cool feel on my face after a long day. I find it most effective if you exfoliate with a facial buffer while washing then put a moisturizer on while my face is still wet ( I use cetaphil lotion b/c its the only heavy moisturizer that doesnt make me break out, I think it's actually helped fade some of my scars:o) For the winter and in the summer i use Neutrogena oil free for combo skin. I've been using this facewash for almost three months and my skin never looks this nice in cold weather:o) I'm happy, I deff reccomend it. Oh, and when the pump starts sticking it means its time to buy a new bottle. You dont want to wash your face with diluted products anyways

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2005 9:59:00 PM More reviews by punkadoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this cleanser so far...took off one lippie cause it was a tad drying at first but after a couple of days face not as dry. I will keep u posted....EDITED: This is a very nice non-drying face wash however I felt like I had to use tons to get my sunscreen off. If you use cleansing oil this face wash would be a wonderful follow up cleanser. It caused no breakouts for me.