July 29, 2014 | 1900 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - The Rocket Volum Express

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by habana

This is one of the mascaras I use in my rotation & currently my favorite. I was looking for a mascara to thicken my lashes & to my surprise this mascara gave me incredible volume with no clumps AND great length! It also holds a curl all day. Highly recommend this mascara for anyone with wimpy lashes. There will always be a tube of this in my makeup case.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maybelline's newest addition to their Volume Express line is The Rocket, which claims to give you "the most explosive, beautiful lashes ever!". Apparently this mascara will give 8x the volume and length in "Rocket Time". I'm pretty sure my astrophysicist boyfriend can confirm that "Rocket Time" is nonsense. The "fast glide formula" will keep lashes "smooth with zero clumps." Maybelline's The Rocket mascara is available in both washable and waterproof versions, this review is for the washable formula, in the shade Blackest Black. Each tube contains 9ml (.3 fl oz) of product. Maybelline's The Rocket Volume Express Mascara retails for between $6-9, and can be found at any drug store or major retailer. I received this mascara as a Christmas gift (yes it took me this long to start using it, I was trying to clear out my stash a bit). Unfortunately, Maybelline products are tested on animals. This mascara was made in the USA. Maybelline's The Rocket is ophthalmolgist tested and safe for contact lense wearers and sensitive eyes.
Maybelline's The Rocket comes attached to a pink cardboard backing with the product name and several claims on the front. A few more claims, directions, and a full ingredient list can be found on the back. Maybelline seems to be changing their Volume Express packaging to the international style. That's not all too different from from the tube we all know, its still long, chubby, and round. The difference is in the cap, which is now longer and pointed, as opposed to having a rounded indentation at the top. As with all Volume Express mascaras, The Rocket's tube has a very eye catching, appealing color scheme. The Rocket's tube is royal blue with the product name, Maybelline and Volume Express logos, and a small flame printed on the tube in hot pink.
Maybelline calls The Rocket's brush a "patented supersonic brush with micro bristles to load on big, sleek volume instantly". How can a brush be supersonic? This brush was pretty cool looking, I felt bad about dipping it in the tube for the first time. The Rocket's brush has a pink cor with stubby, clear rubber bristles. Clear bristles? That's probably a first, at least among the Volume Express line. This brush is massive, quite similar in style to the Covergirl Lash Blast brush, except even larger. I don't really understand why cosmetic companies feel the need to make their brushes bigger and bigger. Eventually they're going to get too large for the average consumer with average lashes to use. Actually I feel like The Rocket's brush is teetering on the edge of that. I have average length lashes and this mascara brush can't really be swept through them. I tend to hit my browbone with this brush and don't even both using it on my lower lashes.
The results I get from Maybelline's The Rocket Volume Express are strange..but not necessarily in a bad way. This is the only drugstore mascara I've used that looks like I've applied multiple coats of mascara in only one. Quickly sweeping The Rocket through my lashes gives me the look of two generous coats of mascara. I need to be really careful with The Rocket, or it will get clumpy very quickly and look like an awful mess. However, if I apply this mascara slowly and carefully it can look awesome. The Rocket has a super inky black formula, which is awesome in and of it's self. Ironically, this Volume Express mascara doesn't deliver much volume at all, the numerous stubby bristles are much better suited to separating the lashes. The Rocket is a very lengthening mascara, but I wouldn't say it makes my lashes 8x longer, that's just silly. Maybelline claims that this mascara is clump free, and that simply isn't true! I actually find The Rocket to be one of the clumpiest of the Volume Express mascaras, if you just pile it on. Between the formula and gigantic brush, you need to take your time when applying The Rocket. This mascara wears well enough, it doesn't smudge, but it does flake after about seven hours. For being a washable mascara, Maybelline's The Rocket is very stubborn and hard to remove. Maybelline suggests using their Clean Express Makeup Remover, which I think is great, but it isn't strong enough to remove The Rocket, I need to use olive oil to get this stuff off.
I don't know if I love Maybelline's The Rocket Volume Express mascara. The claims for this mascara are even sillier than usual. I like the packaging, the color scheme is nice and I like the transition into the international style. The concept of the brush, but I think its far too big. The formula is so-so. Lengthening, but not very volumizing, with a moderate amount of clumps. This mascara wears well, but can be difficult to remove. I think Maybelline makes better mascaras, but The Rocket is a good choice. I'd recommend it if you like long lashes and don't mind a few clumps here or there. I probably won't repurchase The Rocket, I almost never repurchase mascara anyway, but I will continue to wear it quite often!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by katieagnew

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have naturally quite long eyelashes, but this mascara definitely enhanced them. It has amazing volume, and relatively cheap. Will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Kimmm1013

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE THIS MASCARA!! It's my favorite ever out of the maybelline mascaras. I even think its better than Mac & chanel mascara. THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS! It barely clumps (maybe just the tiniest bit, but it's so easy to un clump it with you're fingers). It gives me sooooo much length , it's ridiculous! Even when I put on sooo many layers, it doesn't clump and it just gives my lashes VOLUME & LENGTH. I would DEFIANTLY would recommend this mascara to anyone who wants a good length & non clump mascara. The price is a little bit pricey. You can find them at the drugstore. I got mine at cvs pharmacy. Overall, this mascara is FANTASTIC. Please try it. I bet you'll fall in love with it, just like how I ALREADY fell in love with it <3 (:

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Ewitts

I have long eyelashes and usually don't have a hard time finding a good mascara. I really liked the way this mascara made my eyelashes look, not only for length but for volume..unfortunately after a week of using it I noticed I had less eyelashes and noticed when taking off my makeup they were shedding and breaking like crazy :( I haven't changed my makeup remover or technique at all! I really did love this mascara at first before I noticed what it was doing to my eyelashes! I'm giving it a 3 because it made my eyelashes look great, but in the end destroyed them..castor oil to the rescue!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by berke

I don't know why those bad reviews.I have never puchased a maybelline mascara before. I went to a drug store and I saw it. the packaging was really cute and it was very cheap so I thought like whatever I will give it a try and amazingly it becomes a miracle ... this is one of the best mascaras I have ever used I have used clinique high impact,estee lauder magnascopic ,lancome hypnose drama... and this is the best so far I'm not saying that it is good for that price I'm saying that it is better than clinique or estee or lancome

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2013 12:31:00 AM More reviews by Alexandralouisemoore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really disappointed with this mascara! I have quite long eyelashes and most mascaras tend to work fine for me but this made my lashes really clumpy. Too much product Is on the brush when it is pulled out which caused me to scrape the excess away! Would not recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2013 6:24:00 PM More reviews by cutejuju1001

I have been wanting this mascara , for EVER! And i am so dissapointed , it is clump mania!i wanted a mascara that gives me nice dramatic lashes , with separation , but in litterly one coat it was so messy the wand hurts so much when your applying mascara . Its so bad! The packaging is cute but i hated it.i should have bought clump crusher instead!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by jallen2789

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I prefer dryer mascaras as opposed to really wet ones, which this is. I applied one coat and it went on really heavy and wet making my lashes look spidery. Like an idiot I tried to "fix" it somehow with another coat and it made it even worse if that's possible! I have since tried to make this mascara work for me bc so many ppl seem to love it but for me this mascara is awful. I would NOT repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Sroupas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this mascara! Doesn't clump, goes on smoothly, and a decent waterproof hold. I bought black in waterproof. When I ran out, I tired various other brands to see if I'd like them better- but this one is still my favorite. I will definitely repurchase next chance I get!