December 22, 2014 | 1746 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2006 12:24:00 AM More reviews by crazyshopaholic

I've been using Retin-A ever since i had my first major breakout. Initially, i didn't like it as i found it rather oily & gave my face an oily sheen (i already have combination-oily skin to start with). Yikes! Then my dermatologist recommended that i use this all over my face only @ night & to use it on problem spots during the day. My complexion cleared within 2 weeks (i had mild acne) & it's been clear since then. Great product that's affordable too!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2006 10:54:00 PM More reviews by monique83

retin-a has been a god send to me. when you have acne, you always worry when one little pimple will become twenty. this little tube has kept me clear for about three months now and i regretted not trying this out sooner. i am on the lowest dosage 0.025% and have not dealt with any irratations of any kind. the only thing i really miss is that i can not longer do my monthly microderms and glycolic peels but in regards the the reviewers'post below, i may try to use this twice a week as well. this is a wonderful thing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2006 10:43:00 PM More reviews by hulachic6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using Retin-A for 2 years now. I have combination oily skin with a dark tan complexion. Like everyone else, the 1st 6 weeks it got worse, but after that 6 weeks, it was uphill from there. My cystic acne went away, my skin evened out and was so clear, I didn't have to worry about covering my pimples anymore. When a breakout would occur, I'd simply apply Retin-A at night and in the morning it was 90% gone. This stuff is amazing and even wonderful because it smooths out your wrinkles since it is constantly removing the dead skin cells from your face. My face is so smooth! I'm 34 and no one ever guesses my age right. I usually get guessed as being 25!

What also helps is getting microdermabrasion once a month to get rid of the dark discoloration acne leaves behind on my skin. My esthetician recommends I use Retin-A all over my face at least twice a week to combat against acne and wrinkles! I get microderm done once a month and it's kept my complexion gorgeous and soft! I love Retin-A and would never do without!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2006 10:35:00 AM More reviews by sherryba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started this because I developed acne (at age 43) that wouldn't go away. No over the counter meds could touch it. My Plastic surgeon prescribed this and my acne cleared up almost immediately. I didn't have a terrible time with dry, peeling skin since I am SOOO oily. I did have some but it was manageable. Recently I have been receiving compliments on my skin...A lady walked up to me the other day and said my skin was beautiful...I don't think I've ever heard that compliment before! AND, I've only been using retin a about 2 months now! So far I like it and will continue using it!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2006 8:53:00 AM More reviews by moorkitty

It is easy to get discouraged with Retin A, because your skin will look worse before it gets better. Not only more breakouts, but redness, peeling, etc. YOu will be convinced that this is ruining your skin and want to throw in the towel. Then, if you make it to about week 6, you will get a new crop of zits, but hang in there. The results are soooo worth it. I am turning 50 this year and people are quite surprised. I know there are a few sensitive-skinned people who just can't tolerate this, my daughter was one of them who did the 6 week thing and gave up. Be sure to use a high SPF with this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2006 1:13:00 AM More reviews by jerseygirl07067

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh my beloved Retin-A. I was on the .025% gel and had to go off recently since we're trying for another baby. It helped immensely with clogged pores and I didn't think it was helping much with fine lines and wrinkes...until I went off of it. It was making such a gradual improvement in my skin that I didn't notice the difference until I went off of it. One month later the forehead lines I had before are back. They were completely gone while I was on this stuff and I kind of forgot I had them! I can't wait to restart again in the future. It is great stuff for my skin! Just make sure to start slowly on any retinoid. I highly recommend Dr. Baumann's method of starting retinoids in her book, "The Skin Type Solution". The method varies depending on your skin type, but really helps you to use it with minimal to no irritation. I am a DSNW/OSNW according to the book, and I had no problems at all with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2006 10:14:00 PM More reviews by xraygirl

If you have problems with painful, cystic acne, and want to avoid scarring up your face - this is the stuff for you. Keep in mind you must see a dermatologist in order to get a prescription for it. I unfortunately never struggled too much with acne until a few years ago (28/29 yo). I finally went to a derm for help last fall and i was placed on minocycline and retin a micro. Since my insurance would not cover these products, I paid a pretty penny for them (especially the retin-a micro 0.04%)so also keep that in mind. Considering how little you need to use, I am still working on my original tube from last year, and will get my refill soon before it expires. It made me peel horribly at first, and like the pamphlet states, you may notice an increase in acne over 4 weeks as it purges everything from your skin (and it did so bad that I almost gave up on it)! Don't give up on it after only 2-3 weeks!!! To taper down the redness I experience, I only use it every other day and sometimes every couple of days. I cannot thank the people who developed this product enough. Since using it, I have had so many compliments on how much better my skin looks, and has even helped with some fine lines i had and clearing up any remaining acne marks. I don't need the minocycline as long as I have this product (plus minocycline made me horribly ill when I first began taking it and gain weight). Love love love this product - really helped my self esteem come back to life!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2006 3:31:00 AM More reviews by mjlover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is for the Trentoin version ... i have pretty good skin ... but am turning 30 next year and have noticed small lines where there used to be none ...
so - i have heard from various folk the wonders of this retin-A so i went to my doc and he gave me a prescription for this. I wear a sunscreen everyday anyway and always moisturise (i reckon thats the key).
anyway, ive been using this everynight (all over my face) and wow!!! this is the best product ever. my skin is smooooooth, velvety soft and i have had no dryness or peeling (i always put a heavy moisturiser over the top).
If i could have only one product it would be this. And a bonus - no breakouts (i would get the odd small pimple at times).

My small lines on my forehead are going and my skin is plump!

would recommend this to everyone and will probably use it forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2006 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Pinkie22

I've been using Retin-A Micro for almost two months and have noticed a HUGE improvement in my skin. Initially, my skin purged like crazy and was super dry, which was annoying but tolerable. I use RAM at night and a topical benzo/eurythromician creme during the day, which is one of the more effective ways to treat acne. I wash my face with Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Clenser at night and Dermalogica's Anti-bac during the day (I don't like Anti-bac anymore, but I have a massive bottle to go through!), and use Extra Protection Moisturizer by Eucerin during the day. Vaseline at night around my eyes and mouth have helped with controlling flaking during the day.
After using RAM for a few months, my skin is clear, my pores are basically invisible, and my fine lines have vanished. You need to stay with it and use it religiously to see any improvements. The first month or so does suck, but it is important to just deal with it and wait it out because the results are so worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2006 10:05:00 AM More reviews by bblah

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Retin A Micro has been very good to me.
Started in April, within a week skin became very clear. There wasn't any real initial-breakout period, but I wasn't really prone to breakouts, just a little comedonal acne (ie blackheads) here and there. It's like the skin simply went from clear to very clear within a few days of RAM.

However, one needs to be aware of how RAM and retinoids affect the skin. It may clear your skin, but in return it becomes much more sensitive and vulnerable.

In my particular case, face no longer tolerates acid or anything with a pH of less than 4ish, that means no more AHA for me.
Have to treat skin like a baby, no more harsh products because it can't handle it. It's much harder to pick your face too, because the skin is so thin and more fragile that it gets bruised easily, I'm not kidding! Which is probably good in my case if it keeps my hands away from my face, as picking can easily make me end up with purpura marks for a couple of weeks. I can get purple marks if I scrub too hard, or pick on dead skin flakes too.

With regards to the dreaded redness, this is my observation with retinoids in general: Retinoids are actually anti-inflammatories, but it INDIRECTLY contributes to redness by thinning the skin, which makes it much more sensitive. Also, there seems to be a delay in its effect. IE, the effect from tonight's application will show up 2 days later.

Usually, after a night of RAM, face looks less red, but a couple of days later, it starts peeling, and if i overexfoliate (which one may be inclined to do if freaking out over the sight of a bunch of flakes and peelies) it gets red..if i control myself and just gently remove the flakes, it doesn't get red. Sun tolerance is also reduced considerably, now a few minutes outside will make my face tomato red, then get lizardy and peel (like a sunburn) for about a week, which kinda sucks as it also seems to lose its ability to hold a tan also.

In terms of photoaging, I just haven't seen anything personally as I don't have wrinkles yet, but i think it definitely works for acne. My face was pretty clear most of the time, but RAM made my face really 'clean'. I was told by dermatologists & estheticians that i actually had the "cleanest pores" they had ever seen on an adult. I definitely recommend RAM for acne due to its comedolytic effect.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No