August 30, 2014 | 1751 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2003 12:10:00 PM More reviews by snowboardergal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

u all are crazy...this product rox!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2003 4:08:00 PM More reviews by juliagott

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am still not sure about this product... I can see why people love it - it does leave a nice feeling on the skin after cleansing, but I like cleansers that do it all - take off make-up, deep down clean and leave skin refreshed. This product did not take my make-up off, which leads me to believe it did not deep down clean, either - I still felt "dirty" after using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2003 8:44:00 PM More reviews by glowgirl65

I am in my late 30s with combination/sensitive/sun-damaged skin. I recently went on a quest to find my miracle product that was...well, quite honestly, more *exciting* than the Cetaphil I've been using for several years. After trying lots of products, spending lots of money, and getting LOTS of zits, I'm going back to Cetaphil. It's simple and gentle. It doesn't rinse off like soap, but it doesn't feel "filmy" either. (I can definitely tell when it's all off, unlike with other "gentle" cleansers like Olay Foaming Facial Wash.) So Cetaphil isn't flashy and sexy, so what? It's a solid, effective product that works wonders and pampers the skin. There's a good reason that dermatologists have been recommending this stuff for a bazillion years. In fact, I started using it after asking my boss with the flawless skin what she used, and sure enough it was Cetaphil, at the recommendation of her dermatologist. (Before that, she had suffered from adult acne.) I'll use this product forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2003 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Juniper294

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is definatly not for the oily skinned. I felt like I was applying a lotion on my face that just would not rinse off. I wonder if I should just throw it out?

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2003 9:37:00 AM More reviews by MelissaLG

I thought I was a freak of nature because I hated this cleanser...but then I found MUA! Now I know I'm not alone. It seemed to me that Cetaphil left a film on my skin and by acne increased. Yuck!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2003 12:32:00 PM More reviews by cutiepatootie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Here I am, 46 y/young, and I've just discovered this product! Actually, I discovered it through my teenage son who's having his fair share of acne. The dermatologist recommended it, and since then I've been using it as well as my teenage daughter. We all have different types of skin, and are all getting very good results from it. I've got fairly dry skin with occasional breakouts, and this cleanser is very gentle, doesn't upset my sensitive skin and doesn't leave my skin feeling tight after cleansing. My daughter says it's almost like a lotion, but it's really a cleanser, but it feels like a lotion, it's like... the bomb! It's true, and we'll be buying the Costco size for some time to come. A+

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2003 2:32:00 AM More reviews by PradaPrincess

I absolutely love this cleanser. It's so gentle and leaves my skin feeling baby soft. I havent had much luck with this removing any makeup so thats why I use this only in the mornings.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2003 12:36:00 PM More reviews by Idea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Paula Begoun's comments: "Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser was once one of the only water-soluble cleansers available that cleaned the face without drying it out or leaving it feeling greasy. Times have changed, and there are now many more alternatives for cleaning the face, but Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser remains a primary option for women with dry, sensitive skin who don't wear much makeup. Unfortunately, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is not very good for removing makeup, but it is very good in the morning or if you wear minimal makeup, and now they have Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser that can be used to remove makeup no matter what your skin type may be!" My addendum:
So now you have it from the horse's mouth! I even remove my makeup with it. Most people use a cleanser and a toner. I put this on, wipe it off with a damp washcloth. The makeup slides right off. Then, instead of toner, I do it again and rinse. I used to wipe the 2nd application off with another washcloth, but after having confirmed that no makeup is left on my skin after the first wipe off, I just decided to rinse.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2003 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Twizler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The best! Doesn't dry out my skin and leaves it feeling moist, also great for removing eye makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2003 4:29:00 PM More reviews by pensativa

I hate Cetaphil. Though not quite as bad as some of Neutrogena's facial cleansers, this stuff is horrible, imho. hollywood (see review below) pretty much summed up what I think of Cetaphil. My two cents: Cetaphil leaves a filmy residue on the face after washing, doesn't remove makeup very well, and most importantly, it breaks me out every single time I've used it!
I first bought it in high school after I heard so many recs for it, and how dermatologists rec it, etc. It broke me out then and I hated it. Turned to Sage Facial Shampoo and Paula's Choice One Step Cleanser in the next few years, which are both excellent, if a little pricer. I tried Cetaphil again about a month and ago when I was visiting my parents and did not have any face wash around and voilá, it did the exact same thing. argh! I found out my younger sister had started using it and warned her away from it. I also threw the bottle away.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this product is so consistently raved about by dermatologists! Or maybe it's not and that's just Glyderm's PR kicking in. :P continued >>